Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,214 members, 7,953,788 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:18 AM

2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) (37278 Views)

2016 Budget: Breakdown Of Sums Allocated To Presidency, Mdas, Others / National Assembly Reject Request For Budget Breakdown – Picture / Another Look At 2011 Result Breakdown By Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Bawss1(m): 4:38pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Who are those that sang praises when the 2011 Budget was announced? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I recall some Nlanders rejoicing that the Education allocation for that year was the highest and GEJ was positioning the country for greatness. Apparently that was all part of the election campaign.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by debosky(m): 4:39pm On Dec 13, 2011
texazzpete:

You see the moronic folks we have in power now?

We've had the worst ever NECO and WAEC results this year. We have reports of a shocking decline in our tertiary education institutions. Our secondary schools are retrogressing badly.
Yet Education is not given any special attention in this year's budget!

Call me a cynic but I don't think throwing more money at the problem is necessarily the solution. 'Special attention' often means 'special looting' opportunities in Nigeria.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by aljharem3: 4:40pm On Dec 13, 2011
texazzpete:

You see the moronic folks we have in power now?

We've had the worst ever NECO and WAEC results this year. We have reports of a shocking decline in our tertiary education institutions. Our secondary schools are retrogressing badly.
Yet Education is not given any special attention in this year's budget!

thus private schools are doing the job well.

not many people take their children to public secondary schools.

the university bit, i agree with u on that
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Beaf: 4:44pm On Dec 13, 2011
I don't understand anybody complaining about education. The sector is getting N100bn more than last year. Or una tink say N100bn na moi moi?
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by DisGuy: 4:50pm On Dec 13, 2011
alj_harem:

thus private schools are doing the job well.

not many people take their children to public secondary schools.

the university bit, i agree with u on that

serious??   shocked shocked
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by jason123: 4:50pm On Dec 13, 2011
That cesspit of corruption called NDDC should be scrapped! Imagine, NDDC collecting almost twice the allocation for Science and technology. What the FUC.k is "FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY ADMINSTRATION – N45.57 billion" embarassed embarassed angry
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Mobinga: 4:54pm On Dec 13, 2011
The budget for education last year was N304.3bn; for 2012, it is N400.15bn.

It's how the allocated amount is expended on actual development that matters more. In 2 years the sectors budget is a total of 704bn, that is OK, for proper development.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Nosyke(m): 4:55pm On Dec 13, 2011

Over 900 Billion on security shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, Boko Haram is in real trouble grin grin grin grin
Please you guys should tell us in unambigous terms and simple english how the budget is gonna help the unemployed,make power steady, transportation afforadble and efficient, and moreover life better for the common man in the village.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Beaf: 4:57pm On Dec 13, 2011
jason123:

That cesspit of corruption called NDDC should be scrapped! Imagine, NDDC collecting almost twice the allocation for Science and technology. What the FUC.k is "FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY ADMINSTRATION – N45.57 billion" embarassed embarassed angry

As far as I am concerned, the FCT is the only county that deserves a monthly federal allocation, so its all in order. What we should question, is why the states get allocations from the FG, instead of funding the FG as applies across the developed World.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by jason123: 5:00pm On Dec 13, 2011
Beaf:

As far as I am concerned, the FCT is the only county that deserves a monthly federal allocation, so its all in order. What we should question, is why the states get allocations from the FG, instead of funding the FG as applies across the developed World.

Your FCT argument makes a lot of sense but NDDC(assuming Niger-delta is NDDC)?? Really? undecided
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Gbawe: 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2011
Razia Khan of Standard Chartered:

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL6E7ND3OU20111213?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0

"While markets may initially react positively to the announcement that the fiscal deficit is likely to narrow further as well as the slight reduction in the proportion of recurrent expenditure, we caution that there are still significant concerns," said Razia Khan, head of Africa research at Standard Chartered.

"Spending has been raised further during uncertain times globally , leaving little wriggle room for the budget in response to any downside uncertainty that may impact on domestic (oil) output," Khan added.

The budget proposal also assumed an exchange rate of 155 naira to the U.S. dollar compared with the current level of above 160, and average inflation of 9.5 percent compared with current double-digit levels.

GDP growth was forecast at 7.2 percent in the budget proposal.

FALLING SAVINGS

Africa's most populous nation is supposed to put revenue above the benchmark oil price into a savings account to cushion it from future oil shocks. But analysts have raised concerns about how Nigeria would cope with a dip in oil prices, given the country's inability to save during a period of booming prices.

The Excess Crude Account (ECA) has been drained in recent years, despite high oil prices.[size=14pt] The government removed $2 billion from the ECA for "various projects" last month and it now contains an estimated $3 billion.[/size]

Foreign exchange reserves are around $33 billion, down $1 billion from the same period last year, despite oil prices averaging over $100 a barrel during that period.

Fitch ratings agency revised its outlook on Nigeria to 'stable' from 'negative' in October following April elections, which observers said were the fairest in decades, and on optimism over a new economic team focused on reforms.

Jonathan appointed former World Bank managing director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as finance minister following his election victory and she pledged to clean-up public finances, launch a sovereign wealth fund and end costly petrol import subsidies.

[size=14pt]Okonjo-Iweala said subsidies would cost $7 billion this year, a quarter of total spending, but Jonathan made no mention of subsidy plans or the SWF in his speech.[/size]

The subsidy plan is controversial because most Nigerians believe cheap fuel is the only benefit they get from living in an oil-rich state. Economists see removing the handout as a necessary step because subsidies fuel corruption.

Fitch warned that a sharp fall in oil prices or the failure to improve savings mechanisms, like the SWF, or to push through badly needed reforms to the power, energy and agriculture sectors could lead to downward pressure on ratings. ($1 = 162.1500 Nigerian nairas) (Additional reporting by Chijioke Ohuocha in Lagos; Writing by Joe Brock; Editing by Ruth Pitchford)
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by jmaine: 5:11pm On Dec 13, 2011
The cynic bandits are in dha house and as usual emitting stench criticism for no just cause . . . The Good news is that your screams only ends here while the rest of us look forward to a proper implementation of the stated figures . .which is the most important
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by aljharem3: 5:21pm On Dec 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

serious??   shocked shocked

yeah seriously

there are more private school built in the last 20 years In Nigeria than any other country

the so called public schools like KC QC etc are now rubbished by schools like BIS etc

also are you aware that the public schools in Nigeria is not excatly public

You still end up paying about 5000 Naira or so every term.

they would ask that u buy the school uniform from them at high prices

compulsory books according to them. ( Library is nothing to write home about)

term registration fees about 3000 Naira ( they would tell you it is not school fees but registration)

etc

for what, crap education ?

I would always advice any parent to send their children to private schools (primary and secondary). The public schools in those dayz are not the way they are now.

KC aka King college Lagos was one of the best secondary school in Africa back in the days but now it is a shadow of it's former self.

As for Universities,I would always advice people to go for Federal University because University is not just about education but also exposure aka experiencing life in a micro community.

It is better to go to a Public university with a 2.1 than go to a private university with a 2.1. Why because the 2.1 graduate in a public university does not only have a high IQ but also streetwise and can use his digression and common sense when it is needed.

Of course a 1st in a public or private university is a genius.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by kokoA(m): 5:24pm On Dec 13, 2011
I am really not concerned about how much money goes to which sector. Obviously, the whole sectors of Nigerian economy is sick and needs urgent attention. What I am concerned about is how this budget will be implemented. undecided undecided As it is, if properly implemented to at least 70 percent, we shall all forget about who got what.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Gbawe: 5:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
jmaine:

The cynic bandits are in dha house and as usual emitting stench criticism for no just cause . . . The Good news is that your screams only ends here while the rest of us look forward to a proper implementation of the stated figures . .which is the most important

The usual 'dem again us' talk. My brother, we are all Nigerians who saw the 2011 budget do nothing for Nigerians despite recieving praises the usual sycophantic praises. In real terms, there is nothing spectacular about this budget and with corruption running double what it was last year i.e 200% (  grin grin) we can expect even worse implementation of the 2012 budget.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by olaezebala: 5:47pm On Dec 13, 2011
sometimes I wonder where this money all goes to
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by adamooye5(m): 5:50pm On Dec 13, 2011
I'm surprise u guys r complainingan I remember during election u all r shouting for fresh air!To me oil subsidy is. The fresh air and I'm enjoying it.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by DisGuy: 5:50pm On Dec 13, 2011
How much was spent in a single year to tackle MEND ?

is the FG saying Boko Haram is more dangerous than MENd whose activities directly affected oil feed

back door subsidy if you ask me, will they be doling out contracts for retired general just to keep the peace or actually tackle the cause of these
as they partly did for the ND
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by jmaine: 5:51pm On Dec 13, 2011
Gbawe:

The usual 'dem again us' talk. My brother, we are all Nigerians who saw the 2011 budget do nothing for Nigerians despite recieving praises the usual sycophantic praises. In real terms, there is nothing spectacular about this budget and with corruption running double what it was last year i.e 200% (  grin grin) we can expect even worse implementation of the 2012 budget.

Bros . .we should be more concerned about the budget percentage implementation than allocation . . .even if an allocation of N1 trillion is designated to certain sectors people felt received low attention, and the implementation still remain poor as usual. . .how does it change the decay already on ground . . . That was why i said . . the implementation of the budget is much more important to me than who get whats . . .

As per your 200% corruption  tory . . .  : well  cheesy  
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by jason123: 5:52pm On Dec 13, 2011
jmaine:

Asking questions and criticizing when deemed fit does not mean people are not look forward to its implementation. He is our president, after all. I wish GEJ all the best!!!
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Gbawe: 5:59pm On Dec 13, 2011
jmaine:

Bros . .we should be more concerned about the budget percentage implementation than allocation . . .even if an allocation of N1 trillion is designated to certain sectors people felt received low attention, and the implementation still remain poor as usual. . .how does it change the decay already on ground . . . That was why i said . . the implementation of the budget is much more important to me than who get whats . . .

As per your 200% corruption  tory . . .  : well  cheesy  

I agree with you and that is why I mentioned that implementation will be worse because of corruption. What we are seeing in the NNPC, for example, is worrying and not limited to the oil sector in my opinion. GEJ's ministers are not , IMO, the team to move budget implementation appreciably higher in favour of greater efficiency. I honestly think percentage figure for implementation will be worse if the gradualist response we see so far, to specific challenges, continues to be the norm. That is my opinion based on solid premises of what we can all see so far.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/editorial/30747-budget-2012-and-public-expectations

Budget 2012 and public expectations
Tuesday, 13 December 2011 00:00 Anonymous

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is expected to present to the joint Assembly a budget of about 4.8 trillion for 2012. This will be Jonathan’s second budget, the first since the 2011 general elections in which he promised the economic transformation of the country. This budget is also the first prepared with the assistance of the new finance minister and former managing director of the World Bank, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. Thus, the environment in which the budget is prepared raises Nigerians’ expectations, especially in three critical areas.

To meet the goal of transforming the Nigeria economy for which the president has set himself, the 2012 Budget must set the tone for improvement in the quality of government expenditure in the coming years. In the past, many have argued for increase in capital expenditure. This is convenient. We believe improvements in the quality of government expenditure goes beyond increasing the ratio of capital expenditure in the budget. [size=14pt]It is about how goverment and the Nigerian people get the best value for every Naira spent. It is about how the government hopes to reduce waste, leakages and corruption.[/size]

Nigerians also expect that the 2012 budget will be more transparent than all the budgets before it. We often wonder why it cannot be stipulated in the budget what has been allocated to a particular project rather than aggregate budgets under recurrent and capital? The non-transparency of our budgets in the past have only served the purpose of strengthening non-accountability, corruption and the inability of the electorates to properly monitor the budgets.

The President and the minister for finance will also change the dynamics of Nigeria’s budget if they proceed to improve on the non-oil revenue of the government as the minister’s discussion leading to the budget today has shown. Year after year, the revenues from the revenue generating agencies of the government have demonstrated very clear inconsistencies with the level and growth of economic activities in the country.

We support the finance minister who seeks to limit the Federal Government borrowing in 2012 to 3 percent of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Despite considerable high oil prices, except for the period in 2008, the Federal Government borrowing has increased tremendously since 2007. During this period, the government has managed to both expend revenues from high oil prices and significant sums of money it had borrowed by issuing bonds at Nigeria’s capital market. At the same time, there is no tangible public investment commensurate with the level of expenditure.

We would also like to see that the 2012 Budget reflects the critical policy of the removal of petroleum subsidy. Though this policy is not sufficient in itself to bring about the much-needed investment in the sector, it is the minimum requirement, and without it, the investment will not happen.

We hope the President will also use the opportunity to give details of planned economic policy in the new year. In 2012, economic policies are important for growth, and in the coming years, sustainable growth.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Chubhie: 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2011
This budget will keep the generals busy and happy with loads of cash to burn.

The masses should just perish any thoughts of revolution after the removal of fuel subsidy.

Presido don plan em moves wella.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Kilode1: 6:13pm On Dec 13, 2011
Ejiné:

So, let me get this straight: There's a Security Budget, a Land & Housing Budget, a Water Resources Budget, a Science & Tech Budget, a Health Budget, then there's an FCT Budget? What exactly is this FCT Budget for if not also providing the above stated services? Shouldn't the above stated monies cover for the FCT, or is there something I'm missing here?

Ejiné:

And to be honest, this budget is sooo depressing. The recurrent expenditure is still almost twice the capital expenditure. For how long must we go on like this? sad

Exactly.

I will also like to piggy back on the previous Questions you asked about FCT allocations:

The same applies to the Niger Delta Budget.

Why do we have another $Bilions of dollars for the Niger Delta when they are already benefitting from the monies allocated to other sectors from Education to Security to Works?

I'm asking this with all sense of responsibility. The Niger Delta is a criminally neglected part of this country. They have carried the brunt of misrule, mismanagement and oppression by the "owners of Nigeria" but I fail to see how previous allocations to that Ministry has benefitted the region.

Will Niger deltans not share out of the rest of the budget too?

The sad thing is that this money will never get to the right places under this lopsided system. Never!

What we need is federalism. True federalism. This divide and chop method of budget and oil money sharing benefits no one but the few people with access to power and influence across all regions.

BTW, shebi we wanted to reduce recurrent expenditure? What happened nah?

1 Like

Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Funkymallam(m): 6:22pm On Dec 13, 2011
@Gbawe. Last year benchmark was $75 and not $65/barrel, even u quoted a source and chose to highlight just d one that favours ur argument. Must u lie to prove a point? Below is ur source again.

http://sweetcrudereports.com/2011/09/16/nigeria-sets-2012-budget-on-75b-oil-price-benchmark/

My main problem here is implementation. Also that budget for ND i dnt get it.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Nchara: 6:23pm On Dec 13, 2011
So you admit GEJ was lying when he claimed that Boko Haram is fast becoming a non-issue?

Texazzpete:

''Is fast becoming a non- issues'' does not mean it is now a non-issue. This budget if well implement will help make it  (fasten) a non issue
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Demdem(m): 6:29pm On Dec 13, 2011
We have always have good budgets, implementation is our main challenge. Just like someone asked earlier, me think 2011 budget was spent on salaries, allowances, estacodes and their kinds.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Nchara: 6:30pm On Dec 13, 2011
certainly not by putting more more into the generals to appease them, or what is the money for exactly? ransome fees?

The generals are not the only ones involved in defense contracts

Arisekola Alao
Folawiyo
Rochas Okorocha
Arthu Nzeribe and I believe several northern civilians are all defense/police contractors
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Gbawe: 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
Funkymallam:

@Gbawe. Last year benchmark was $70 and not $65/barrel

http://businessnews.com.ng/2011/12/13/nigeria-2012-budget-highlights-how-government-plans-to-spend-your-money/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nigeria-2012-budget-highlights-how-government-plans-to-spend-your-money.

My main problem here is implementation.

I think it was $65 because I remember this causing a problem when the Reps wanted it revised upwards and the DG of the budget office refusing flatly.

http://sturvs.com/4155/

2011 budget: Why we project $65 benchmark for crude oil -FG Go to article
bytribune 302 days ago

Efforts by the House of Representatives Committee on Finance to make the Federal Government jack-up the $65 bench mark per barrel projection for crude oil in the 2011 budget proposal was vehemently rebuffed by the Director General, Budget Office, Dr. Bright Okogu, saying any attempt to jack it up would spell doom for the 2011 budget proposal.
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by holahabib: 6:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
ttt
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by Funkymallam(m): 6:45pm On Dec 13, 2011
@Gbawe. Pls check my modified post again, i just read tru ur post ans source again. Thnx
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by ITL: 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2011
k
Re: 2012 Budget Breakdown by sectors (Defence is the biggest) by chidexy(m): 7:00pm On Dec 13, 2011
Why don't we exercise some restraint until the breakdown of the budget comes in before seeing the real picture of where more money has been allocated, with respect to the previous year(s). Like @Gbawe said, implementation of the budget is the key to national development.

We have faced serious security challenges and tackling them should cost increasingly more. While I would have loved to see less money spent on security, we cannot but spend more to try to contain the various challenges. At least now that we see the cost, we can consider the cost and importance of peace in the country.

FCT is administered by a Minister and it is a creation of the constitution and usually take direct appropriation from source (I guess it is 1% of federal revenue). So it's expected that their allocation should be 1% of the total federal budget, hence the 45 billion Naira.

Nobody expects the recurrent expenditure to be drastically lowered - what with the recently approved new minimum wage for workers. If they can reduce just the fraction of what political jobbers take home, Nigerians would be glad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Commissions Ikom Health Centres, Cross River / Hyundai To Build Refinery In Owaza, Abia State (Photos) / EFCC Explains Why Olufemi Olukayode Adeyemi F.Shaw Left

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.