Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,287 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

A Question On Abortion - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Question On Abortion (1271 Views)

Islamic View On Abortion / What Does Islam Say About Abortion,can Allah Forgive? / A Question For Muslims: So What Really Happened To Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question On Abortion by deols(f): 3:35pm On Dec 13, 2011
salam alaykum,
is abortion permissible when it is realised prior to birth that d child might have some deformities, be a sickler or a danger to the mother's life.
Thnks in advance
Re: A Question On Abortion by tbaba1234: 5:01pm On Dec 13, 2011
These are the rules to abortion.

1.For deformity: This is permissible before the soul is breathed into the foetus, i.e., before 120 days of pregnancy have passed. This is allowed after exhausting all possible means of treating the problem. But after the soul has been breathed into the foetus it is not permissible to abort it because of deformity. (the same goes for a sickler)

2. If the mother's life is in danger, then abortion is permissible.

You can check out more info on Islamqa.com.
Re: A Question On Abortion by azharuddin: 5:19pm On Dec 13, 2011
Assalamu alaikum.

A detailed answer is giving in Sunnipath: http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=12&ID=270&CATE=87
Re: A Question On Abortion by deols(f): 6:28pm On Dec 13, 2011
thnks guys. Am sorry I wont b able 2 €hek d sources yet and i av a more specific question.
would it b justified for a couple to go into marrige knowing so well dat dey av an incompatible genotype-both AS. with the intention dat dey can alwys test if d foetus is SS(d chances of which is 1/4) and den av selective abortion if need be.
Re: A Question On Abortion by tbaba1234: 7:38pm On Dec 13, 2011
deols:

thnks guys. Am sorry I wont b able 2 €hek d sources yet and i av a more specific question.
would it b justified for a couple to go into marrige knowing so well dat dey av an incompatible genotype-both AS. with the intention dat dey can alwys test if d foetus is SS(d chances of which is 1/4) and den av selective abortion if need be.

If you are aware before getting pregnant? Id ask a scholar insha Allah;
Re: A Question On Abortion by maclatunji: 9:26am On Dec 14, 2011
deols:

I cringe at the idea- I am not giving judgement but it does not feel so good. Maybe it is easy for me to say but I think the couple should best let each other go than all of the trouble.
Re: A Question On Abortion by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 15, 2011
On this sickler issue, deol,am gonna dasi,pls let go from the man,the reality is worse,Allah says we should not use our hands to cause our own destruction.Allahu alam.It does break once upon a sweet home,couples ends up even hating eachother,likewise both families
Re: A Question On Abortion by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 15, 2011
And how are you sure you are gonna conceive again after terminating one cos they found out is SS,even if you are lucky to get preggy again,then another SS surfaces again nko?meaning you have to be killing them everytime you realise,then,the most dangerous part is your uterus could be seriously affected as a result,plenty abortions weaken uterus,save yourself the stress,and move on with another man with ok genotype with the permission of Allah,dnt let emotions control you o,cos the aftermath is deadly.
Re: A Question On Abortion by deols(f): 6:50pm On Dec 15, 2011
thanks!!@maclatunji and uplawal
I'd still like to know what scholars av to say though.
hmmmmnn! oro ife lagbara gan an ni o! *lipssealed*
Re: A Question On Abortion by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 15, 2011
That SS in particular makes IFE turn real sour
Re: A Question On Abortion by LagosShia: 10:38pm On Dec 15, 2011
you can check different answers on the Islamic view on abortion depending on the different dictates of different situations by Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi:

http://www.makaremshirazi.org/english/estefta/?mit=807
Re: A Question On Abortion by tbaba1234: 9:53am On Jan 15, 2012
SCHOLAR's Opinion

Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly:

Undoubtedly one of the aims of marriage is to produce righteous offspring and increase the numbers of the ummah of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it says in the hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood (2050) from Ma’qil ibn Yasaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I have found a woman who is of good lineage and is beautiful, but she does not bear children. Should I marry her?” He said, “No.” Then he came again with the same question and he told him not to marry her. Then he came a third time with the same question and he said: “Marry those who are loving and fertile, for I will be proud of your great numbers before the other nations.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1784.

That also means producing offspring who are healthy and able to do the duties enjoined by Islam, and to bear the burdens of conveying the message.

If the couple know that their marriage may produce children who are sick or who are carriers of a disease, then it is better for them not to get married in that case, so as to ward off expected harm and to reduce evil and harm in the ummah of Islam, and to protect themselves from hardship and suffering that may affect them when taking care of a sick child.

From what we have read, it seems that if both spouses are carriers of this sickness, then each of their children has a 25% chance of being healthy, a 25% chance of being affected, and a 50% chance of being a carrier. But if one of them is healthy and the other is a carrier of the disease, then the danger is greatly reduced, as the possibility of the child being born healthy goes up to 50%, and the possibility of him being a carrier of the disease is also 50%, but there is no possibility of the child being born with the disease.

These possibilities are based on experience and research, but the matter is entirely subject to the will and decree of Allaah.

As that is the case, then it is better for you to marry a healthy person. This does not mean that you should put good health before religious commitment as you say; what you have to do is to look for a healthy man who is religiously committed, and there are many such, praise be to Allaah.

If you give up the idea of this marriage for the sake of your children, and to reduce the sickness and prevent it spreading further in the ummah, then we hope that Allaah will compensate you with good, and reward you for that.

We ask Allaah to help and guide you.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Re: A Question On Abortion by IbroSaunks(m): 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2012
deols:

deols this question is familiar, I'm sure uv asked somewhere else. I think most people in such situations who choose to marry anyway grossly undermine the agony involved in giving birth to and nurturing a child with such a terrible disease. now this is just my opinion, I may be wrong, but I also think no love is worth such a sacrifice, in the end it's just plain selfishness!
why r ur lips sealed? smiley
Re: A Question On Abortion by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 15, 2012
SMH.

We are in the politics section, occupying Nl for the secured future of this country Nigeria.

Instead of u guys to join us in this transient period, u are discussing Abortion.

Ibro, Olawale and co, why are u guys not occupying any where?

Aren't u part of us? angry sad sad sad sad
Re: A Question On Abortion by IbroSaunks(m): 6:49pm On Jan 15, 2012
toba:

SMH.

We are in the politics section, occupying Nl for the secured future of this country Nigeria.

Instead of u guys to join us in this transient period, u are discussing Abortion.

Ibro, Olawale and co, why are u guys not occupying any where?

Aren't u part of us? angry sad sad sad sad
grin grin
Don't worry i am occupying in my own way!
Re: A Question On Abortion by deols(f): 9:26pm On Jan 15, 2012
thank u so much @tbaba.
@Ibrosaunks, thanks for that too. i'd say exactly that too. Just wanted pple to say more. I read on ds same nairaland a thread where some peeps mentioned relying on God. Of course, they'r xtians from d posts.I just wanted to hear responses from Muslims.
@toba, long time no c. i av bn following d occupyNigeria mvmnt nd not once av I seen ur pix. i hope uv not bn occupying ur room o while making mouth on NL cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Requirements For Zakat? / Muslim Writers Must Focus On Issues – Abu Umar Al-faruq / Why Islam Threads Hardly Make Front Page On A Friday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.