Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. (40587 Views)

First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months / Jonathan Commends Lagos For Eko Atlantic City's Successful Completion / Will Eko Atlantic City Be The Most Beautiful City In Africa After Completion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Pifa: 5:37pm On Dec 16, 2011

I love the front-rear asymmetry of this design. It’s an effective way to break the rhythmic monotony that is all too common in high-rise buildings. I like the rooftop gardens, too. But I wish the designers had kept the frontal arch of the original design (the bottom photograph with the TAA tag). It’s a more dramatic visual statement than the subdued – perhaps more practical – version that will be built. Nonetheless, it’s a welcomed improvement over much of the architectural eyesores that make up the landscape in Lagos. The tonal (color) contrast hits the sweet spot, too.

Beautiful design!
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by OnlyRebel: 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2011
What you may not believe is that the architectural design of this building is brain baby of a Nigerian architectural firm.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by expert555: 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2011
@Igbo 2011

I don’t know whether you live in this planet which tourist is coming to Lagos - Nigeria with no roads, no electricity, 419's, arm robber and kidnappers having taken-over the country. If they make you the minister of tourism will you encourage tourist to come to Nigeria? Who is going to guarantee their safety? It will be good if most of you live outside Nigeria for a while you will know what people in Europe and other countries think about you. Be real. We your own people is scared to come to Nigeria for a visit you want foreigners to come on holiday, you are mad what have you got to offer. Lootering and suffering?
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Gbawe: 6:03pm On Dec 16, 2011
Only-Rebel:

What you may not believe is that the architectural design of this building is brain baby of a Nigerian architectural firm.

Not very difficult to believe. African Architects are quite talented and 'up to speed'. In different eras, a style may be dominant e.g functional modernism. if you ordinarily have a decent eye, and are a decent learner then you can go on to produce outstanding work because inspirations abound worldwide for whatever it is you wish to achieve . Inspiration such as Lord fosters "Gherkin" building  and City Hall , london  below. Our built environment proffesionals don't lack in conceptual talent but they need the experience of those who have handled projects on this scale successfully such as those who delivered the Shinonome project set on a site reclaimed from the sea in Tokyo Bay (see below).

The "Gherkin" building

City Hall, London

[img]http://4.bp..com/-vJNVVfUEuwo/TqFaQ7L5UwI/AAAAAAAANuY/07rBgp_7T7I/s400/DSC_3129%2Bcopy.jpg[/img]
Shinonome

[img]http://1.bp..com/--nSATr-Hu5o/TqFa6iMXIKI/AAAAAAAANw4/5tZvP9EPgUM/s400/foto%2B2%2Bkuma%2Bcopy.jpg[/img]
Shinonome

[img]http://2.bp..com/-MEsHr74EJzc/TqFa8Gnav2I/AAAAAAAANx4/ein_9zpGqZY/s400/google2%2Bcopy.jpg[/img]
Shinonome
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by samyng(m): 6:11pm On Dec 16, 2011
[size=20pt]CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BEG FASHOLA TO FIX ROADS AT ALIMOSHO LGA ESPECIALLY IKOTUN, OKOTA, EJIGBO ISOLO ROAD THAT HAS BEEN ABANDONED FOR AGES NOW PLEASE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/size]
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Smi1(m): 6:32pm On Dec 16, 2011
why don't you call him? i thought you have his personal cell number ? lmao

samyng:

[size=20pt]CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BEG FASHOLA TO FIX ROADS AT ALIMOSHO LGA ESPECIALLY IKOTUN, OKOTA, EJIGBO ISOLO ROAD THAT HAS BEEN ABANDONED FOR AGES NOW PLEASE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/size]
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Smi1(m): 6:34pm On Dec 16, 2011
I'm so happy to see this development coming up. Nigeria is getting there and for you haters, time waits for no one .
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Ejiekwu1(m): 7:09pm On Dec 16, 2011
Fashola is a giniuous
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Demainman1: 7:30pm On Dec 16, 2011
5 trapped as Lagos govt building collapses

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/5-trapped-as-lagos-govt-building-collapses/

PLS FASHOLA, DO NOT INVOLVE LOCAL COWBOY CONTRACTOTRS IN THE EKO CITY POJECT O O
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Yeske2(m): 7:34pm On Dec 16, 2011
Ejiekwu 1:

Fashola is a giniuous
A GENIUS please.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 16, 2011
and what happens when the ocean surges?

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by FEMARY1: 7:39pm On Dec 16, 2011
Some people must just kick against everything,whether good or bad.

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by EkoIle1: 7:47pm On Dec 16, 2011
OK_2_NV:

and what happens when the ocean surges?
Educate yourself about the project. Google is your friend.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 16, 2011
Eko Ile:

Educate yourself about the project. Google is your friend.

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by meine: 8:13pm On Dec 16, 2011
Any project that doesn't involve sustainable power generation and good roads for all lagosians is useless IMO. Nigeria is just one unserious country, why can't we devote all our energy to solve this electricity thing? cry. LETS SOLVE POWER ISSUES OR DIE TRYING
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Hardeyoye: 8:30pm On Dec 16, 2011
Did they say the skyscrapers will be built with Lagos money?
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by 2AMLasgidi: 9:12pm On Dec 16, 2011
How on earth will someone say Eko Atlantic is a lagos state govt project? All of you in that category just genorously displayed how dumb you are. you must hav forgottrn tha google exist abi?

Here is the link for your help, http://www.ekoatlantic.com/index.htm

i hope you'll be shameful enough to come back to say sorry
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by love4ual: 9:24pm On Dec 16, 2011
every good projected should be welcomed and applauded, but living in a country without electricity is useless
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by stunna2(m): 9:41pm On Dec 16, 2011
Well, I thought i was going to be reading about a nice development in lagos and as usual, it turned into a tribal war!! smh

anyways, even if the money was stolen, at lest its not wasting away in London Bank!
i love big dreams, because even if only half of it that does come true, it will still be nice! i wish it was the federal goverment embarking on similar projects with the oil cash for nigerians!

they however need to be careful though as a visit to Dubai will show that their housing sector in now in a bubble, so its a lil scary that these private sector investors are only just starting now in nigeria considering the situation the world over! we need to know if the Lagos state government is in anyway involved by co-signing loans or guaranteeing same loans!

i love big dreams - the bigger the better!
chino guy has his points but reality is that just as in many countries, the super rich will always live side by side with the poor! if general infrastructure development was good, ie everyone has lights and good roads, things would not look so unfair, but im hopeful that things will get better!
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Gbawe: 10:18pm On Dec 16, 2011
$tunna:

Well, I thought i was going to be reading about a nice development in lagos and as usual, it turned into a tribal war!! smh

anyways, even if the money was stolen, at lest its not wasting away in London Bank!
i love big dreams, because even if only half of it that does come true, it will still be nice! i wish it was the federal goverment embarking on similar projects with the oil cash for nigerians!

they however need to be careful though as a visit to Dubai will show that their housing sector in now in a bubble, so its a lil scary that these private sector investors are only just starting now in nigeria considering the situation the world over! we need to know if the Lagos state government is in anyway involved by co-signing loans or guaranteeing same loans!

chino guy has his points but reality is that just as in many countries, the super rich will always live side by side with the poor! if general infrastructure development was good, ie everyone has lights and good roads, things would not look so unfair, but im hopeful that things will get better!

Funny enough , the mortgage market in Nigeria is opening up and many diasporans can actually refinance or remortgage to own a "piece of Paradise". Nigerians have a penchant for finding ways to own "must have" things. Many rich Nigerians will even buy several of the residential units as part of an investment portfolio. My bet is that these units will move well. As per this ;
I have to say I am the same. I believe in social responsibility but I think man, for how short life is, should try and get the best from his environment and general existence.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by PeterKbaba: 11:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
Eko Ile, can you kindly explain to all this critics of the eko atlantic city project that dont even understand what investment is, They don't seem to understand the economic advantage this project is to we Lagosian and even Nigeria and a whole, This project is solely private sector driven, and not Tax payers funds, they way most of them presume it is. It is the suitable environment, were top class companies around the world will feel comfortable to open an headquarters for the manufacturing of their products or services to the african market or even to other countries outside africa, cause labor is cheaper there in Lagos "you know what they say, the more the inflow of companies and private investments, these always an increase in the rate of employment, I have studied Fashola very well, he handles Lagos like a country, he may not be perfect , but at-least he is the most learned and performing governor with intellectual ways of making sure all projects he starts are completed, Look at all the strategic project he is doing to bring Lagos among the world developed cities, LAMATA, LAWMA, BRT, LASGOS RAIL , LEKKI TOLL , LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE, LEKKI AIRPORT, EKO ATLANTIC CITY, just to mention a few, all this can lead this country to the promise land, even the eko atlantic structures alone can boost the tourism in Lagos, , If one wants solve unemployment, its not sensible to start from the top, its better to start from the root, Fashola is fixing the infrastructural deficit we lack to solve the unemployment, Why can't we Nigerians just stop all this criticism , tribalism and build naija together, If una dey see beta thing , make una appreciate, Fashola carry go, We C You, Eko oni baje oOOOo

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Pifa: 11:17pm On Dec 16, 2011
Only-Rebel:

Who is the architect? It would have been informative for us to learn that from you, don’t you think?

I thought it was designed by TAA, Tabet Atelier D'architecture of Lebanon.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by ajalaolanr(m): 12:05am On Dec 17, 2011
The whole place will crumble like a pack of cards. Are they not supposed to compact the land or let it settle for at least ten years to avert a disaster like liquefaction. Can some one educate my ignorance here?
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by stunna2(m): 12:12am On Dec 17, 2011
thank u @Gbawe

ive noticed how a lot of the time, nigerians r often inflamed with passion and wants everyone to start singing praises on anything or idea they put forward, rather than, attsempt to respond to critics! lolz

the reality is that some of us here in this forum already live in such place, okay, let me rephrase that - some of us here already own a home in such a place in any one of the advanced societies and we know what we r looking for in a place like you have shown us to be able to part with our precious cash!!  so, when we r a lil skeptical about lagos's ability to meet such high demands, pls dont just dismiss everyone of us!

truth be told, all it may take for mass exodus of security conscious buys or owners out is one grisly murder of someone like us!

i stayed at airport hotel in lagos once and the lights were off 4times before day break and i checked out at 1st lights!

so rather than attacking people who have legitimate reasons to be skeptical, come up with FACTS to alley their fears, k! talk as if u have a good knowledge of how a true market economy works, not just from the classroom but also becos u have participated in one!

our government here have a law that would prevent such a building above from starting construction unless, 75% of the Suites have been sold!! so tell us the information that we r looking for to make an informed decision weather or not to buy into such a place, and believe me, most people purchase places due to the good emotion (or feel good factor) they get about or from the place!

when i buy a place in one of the higher floors and looks down at the city day and night, what emotions will i be feeling based on what's going on in the city??

i want to make sure that the other people buying into it r responsible and can keep up the value of my property, so even if they get a mortgage, is it fraudulently given to them even though they may not have the means to carry such a debt, will this eventually turn into a crisis and bring the prices crashing?? in other words, the pictures i see is of a multi-billion dollar city, so its important that people know where the funding is coming from n this should not be dismissed offhand!  

some of us have options , by that i mean i can as well just go to mexico and spend 30 or 50,000dollars to buy a similar unit or go to Cuba and do the same, so i would ask myself: why nigeria, why 500,000 dollars? what r the risks and the advantages? will i get my investment back, can i trust that the system will work and if it does not work as advertised, what will i be able to do??

at this point, those who do not know how such complex systems work r beginning to have an idea and those who already do, already get my point.

so lets get away from the Tribal wars on the one hand and those who say anyone who has concerns is just having bad belle, k people,

i hope this helps to carry the conversation forwards
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by mechris: 12:50am On Dec 17, 2011
Chagoury &chagoury stole millions of dollars of nigeria 's money under Abacha only to come and be building Eko hotels and now Eko antlantic, and Nigerias are elated about such developments.I think its unpardonable.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by EkoIle1: 1:14am On Dec 17, 2011
PeterKbaba:

Eko Ile, can you kindly explain to all this critics of the eko atlantic city project that dont even understand what investment is,  They don't seem to understand the economic advantage this project is to we Lagosian and even Nigeria and a whole,  This project is solely private sector driven, and not Tax payers funds, they way most of them presume it is. It is the suitable environment, were top class companies around the world will feel comfortable to open an headquarters for the manufacturing of their products or services to the african market or even to other countries outside africa, cause labor is cheaper  there in Lagos "you know what they say, the more the inflow of companies and private investments, these always an increase in the rate of employment, I have studied Fashola very well, he handles Lagos like a country, he may not be perfect , but at-least he is the most learned and performing governor with intellectual ways of making sure all projects he starts are completed,  Look at all the strategic project he is doing to bring Lagos among the world developed cities,  LAMATA, LAWMA, BRT,  LASGOS RAIL , LEKKI TOLL , LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE, LEKKI AIRPORT, EKO ATLANTIC CITY, just to mention a few, all this can lead this country to the promise land, even the eko atlantic structures alone can boost the tourism in Lagos, ,  If one wants solve unemployment, its not sensible to start from the top, its better to start from the root,  Fashola is fixing the infrastructural deficit we lack to solve the unemployment, Why can't we Nigerians just stop all this criticism , tribalism and build naija together,  If una dey see beta thing , make una appreciate,  Fashola carry go, We C You,  Eko oni baje oOOOo

Its not like they don't know the importance and benefits, they are just mad and upset that these projects are not in their backward states. I feel their pain.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Horus(m): 1:36am On Dec 17, 2011
ajalaolanr:

The whole place will crumble like a pack of cards. Are they not supposed to compact the land or let it settle for at least ten years to avert a disaster like liquefaction. Can some one educate my ignorance here?

They have done a liquefaction risk assessment when planning the project, but liquefation hapen most of the time in earthquake zone and this is not the case for Eko Atlantic.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by igbo2011(m): 1:53am On Dec 17, 2011
expert555:

@Igbo 2011

I don’t know whether you live in this planet which tourist is coming to Lagos - Nigeria with no roads, no electricity, 419's, arm robber and kidnappers having taken-over the country. If they make you the minister of tourism will you encourage tourist to come to Nigeria? Who is going to guarantee their safety? It will be good if most of you live outside Nigeria for a while you will know what people in Europe and other countries think about you. Be real. We your own people is scared to come to Nigeria for a visit you want foreigners to come on holiday, you are mad what have you got to offer. Lootering and suffering?

When power comes more jobswil be created this will lower the crime rate.  Also tax revenue will help it as well.
More factories for cameras and will bring cctv and better infrastrucutre and less crime.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Pifa: 2:10am On Dec 17, 2011
ajalaolanr:

Earth is usually made of stratified layers which vary in what civil engineers call soil stiffness. Generally, the deeper you go into the ground, the stiffer the soil tends to be, but not in all cases. This is why construction engineers drive piles to bedrock layer where the earth (or soil) stiffness will be sufficient to support the structure being constructed. The civil engineers on this project, I am sure, have done a geological analysis of the soil under the area and know how deep they will have to pile drive to bedrock layer. They will lay the foundation on those piles. Pile driving to bedrock layer is what allows engineers to build bridges over oceans as they had done over the Hangzhou Bay in China and I think one Scandinavian country (correction on the Scandinavian part, if you have better information).

I also believe that the planners of this project have built defenses against ocean incursion. I should also point out that this project is not being built in the ocean as they had done in Dubai. This is reclaiming land that was lost to sea erosion, so there should be some solid footing a few meters below the water level.

The other concern you raised is compacting of the soil. I believe the soil will compact under its own weight as time progresses and also when they start to lay the road network.

The issue of liquefaction is a valid concern. My understanding is that this is a phenomenon that occurs in an earthquake. I know that there is a seismic fault line that runs through the Nigerian city of Ibadan, but I do not know its geological mapping relative to Lagos. Ibadan has experienced earthquakes before, but I think they were relatively minor. If a sizable 5.0 or higher earthquake were to hit the Ibadan-Lagos axis, it wouldn’t be a pretty sight.

If there is a civil engineer in the house, please chime in and correct me, if I am wrong.

I do have a few questions for you guys:

1) Does this project wipe out the Bar Beach area? I asked this question sometime ago, but I don’t think I got a response.

2) Are there open spaces such as public parks and recreational areas in the new city?

3) Will there be public museums, libraries and other public facilities in the new city?
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by efisher(m): 5:17am On Dec 17, 2011
Frankly speaking, there is no place that comes close to Lagos in West Africa. Lagos is light years ahead of the others. Kudos.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by 2AMLasgidi: 5:52am On Dec 17, 2011
God bless you eFisher. Development dont come easy neither does it come cheap, I have lived in lagos all my life. If travel maximum of 3 month im back "home." Development, especially private innitiaves spring up here n there to compliment Government deficiencies in infrastructural facilities. In lagos today, there are two Roads where maintenance is everyday thing. The Airport Road (tolled part) and lekki-epe expressway which some people are saying there shouldnt have been a toll plaza.

How I wish we all can see that development doesnt come cheap. Meanwhile, you dont have to live in Eko Atlantic City, you can remain in your magodo or Ikeja or even Ajegunle, just and see the beauty of the place when completed. Dont resist it the project. Ok? or else make una leave lagos for us, grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by OAM4J: 6:26am On Dec 17, 2011
A good development!

Eko o ni baje o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Wike Says He Is Niger Delta President, Calls Buhari Fellow President- APC Rivers / CAN's Rejection Of Muslim-muslim Ticket Godly - Yakubu Dogara / My Supporters Urge Me To Lead Them To APC — Gbenga Daniel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.