Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,718 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables (6195 Views)

What I Saw In Oshodi This Morning(pictures) / What Tompolo, MEND Leaders Will Discuss As They Regroup In Bayelsa / Photos From The Scene Of Today's Riot In Oshodi,Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by johnie: 6:32pm On Dec 15, 2011
Thursday, 15 December 2011 00:02

Hoodlums regroup in Oshodi, dispossess motorists of valuables

Written by Eniola Akinkuotu

When on January 4, 2009, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, began demolition of the popular Oshodi Market for security reasons and to ensure free flow of traffic, the move was welcomed by many residents who dreaded the hitherto hotbed of crimes.

Similarly, the then Chairman of the Task Force, Mr. Bayo Suleiman, a Superintendent of Police, said the exercise was meant to curb the crime rate in the area, particularly at night and to ensure law and order in the state and in furtherance of the ongoing beautification of the state.

However, less than three years after the transformation of Oshodi and its environs, hoodlums have now regrouped terrorising motorists and passersby both day and night.

PUNCH METRO learnt that the hoodlums, who usually move around in large numbers, capitalise on the perennial traffic congestion along the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, to dispossess motorists of their valuables especially in daytime.

A victim, who identified himself simply as Emmanuel, said, "About two weeks ago, I was driving on the expressway and and on reaching Charity Bus Stop, I was caught up in a traffic jam when some hoodlums numbering about six, gathered around my car and started hitting the windscreen.

"They demanded N10, 000 from me and threatened to vandalise my car and kill me if I did not cooperate with them.

"One of them had already started removing my side mirrors when I saw this , I decided to give them all the money I had but they were not satisfied. Consequently, they took my mobile phone and wristwatch before running away."

Emmanuel added that while he was being robbed, he was surprised that no one in the vicinity raised the alarm.

"The robbery took place at about 4pm. Usually, one would think such a robbery could not happen in the daytime because Oshodi is such a busy area but it did.

"I reported the incident at the Ilupeju Police Division but the police said it was not within their jurisdiction but promised to report the incident to the necessary police authorities."

Another victim who identified herself simply as Aishat, a student of Olabisi Onabanjo University, said the hoodlums usually laid siege to the expressway, pretending to be hawkers soliciting for customers.

She said, "Two weeks ago, I was in a car with my aunt’s driver and as we were ascending the bridge popularly called ‘Oshodi Oke,’ about six thugs from nowhere, gathered around the car and started hitting the windscreen.

"They were already attempting to remove the side mirror when I asked them what they wanted. They demanded N5,000 and threatened to vandalise the vehicle if we did not cooperate with them."

Aishat added that although the hoodlums were not armed, the manner with which they operated was enough to evoke fear in anyone.

When our correspondent visited the area on Tuesday, many residents in the area however claimed to be unaware of such phenomenon.

A member of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, who identified himself simply as Taofeeq, said daylight robbery was almost impossible in Oshodi due to the busy nature of the area.

He said, "NURTW members are always on the lookout to ensure that hoodlums do not take over the expressway because we make our money along the expressway and we do not want the government to point fingers at us as culprits.

"I think only a foolhardy person would carry out daylight robberies in Oshodi. Even petty thieves are not as common as before because whenever they get caught, they get lynched or beaten to a pulp before being handed over to the police."

Taofeeq however admitted that there were hoodlums who usually "obtained" money from motorists who were driving around in unregistered vehicles.

When contacted, the spokesperson for the state police command, Mr. Samuel Jinadu, said the police were aware of the phenomenon and added that measures were being taken to restore sanity in the area.

http://www.punchng.com/index.php/news/punch-metro/item/7780-hoodlums-regroup-in-oshodi-dispossess-motorists-of-valuables
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Lasinoh: 11:12pm On Dec 15, 2011
Maybe they are ritualists looking for 'human parts and organs'! grin
Hoodlums is another term for ali mah ji ri abi? cheesy

Alimahs!(Animals!) grin
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by jmaine: 11:17pm On Dec 15, 2011
December don reach and boiz must flex  cheesy . . .sad development though . . .
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by jason123: 11:23pm On Dec 15, 2011
Chei!!!
This has been the ban of Lagos. Area boys and rascality in the so called center of excellence. . .smh!
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by philip0906(m): 11:29pm On Dec 15, 2011
Dats what u get when u decide to play hanky panky instead of adressing the underlining problems. . .Can someone please tell superman fashola to get rid of those jobless yurumba scaliwags who r turning lagos into a mess?
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by jmaine: 11:33pm On Dec 15, 2011
jason123:

Chei!!!
This has been the ban of Lagos. Area boys and rascality in the so called center of excellence. . .smh!

Bros na everywhere . . .even the relative peaceful Calabar is dangerous during the Yuletides . .Areas boys fit cut your hand just to get a hold of your phone while receiving a call . . . whether na kpalasa, dem no send  . the need for excessive frivolities dey push guyz to crime any how . . .
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by jason123: 11:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
jmaine:

Bros na everywhere . . .even the relative peaceful Calabar is dangerous during the Yuletides . .Areas boys fit cut your hand just to get a hold of your phone while receiving a call . . . whether na kpalasa, dem no send  . the need for excessive frivolities dey push guyz to crime any how . . .

Na joblessness sha! Its like this every christmas time in Nigeria.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Ejine(m): 11:51pm On Dec 15, 2011
Nigerians and their 'I must go to city' is one of they key factors in this mess. Most rural youngies think you have jobs waiting to pounce on your laps as soon as you've crossed that 'Welcome' billboard. But they only find out how wrong they are when they can't afford the next transport back home, only to eventually lead a life of crime.
What many don't realize is that rural life does have it's own rewards, and some even end up successful in their hometowns.

Oh, what am I blabbering about? I think Nigeria needs more mega cities to help shave some attention from Lagos. That place is becoming almost completely uninhabitable.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Ladipodeal: 8:10am On Dec 16, 2011
Oshodi is a no go area nowadays after 10pm, you need to walk with caution. Dont be deceived by the APC , MOPOL and Floodlight around there as u will be disposed of ur valuables close to the MOPOL checkpoint, all they r after are the motorist whom they collect money from
There are incidence of rape more recently. Will upload some pics shortly show some of the area boys hanging around daytime
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by karlmax2: 8:22am On Dec 16, 2011
And people would stay in the comfort of there abroad home argue that security in lagos is. First class
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by phantom(m): 8:24am On Dec 16, 2011
Vintage lagos.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by maclatunji: 4:18pm On Dec 16, 2011
Wait people, I have a better understanding of the subject. I have noticed the trend for about 3 months now. They do not do what they do at Oshodi Oke, instead they do it at Charity mostly right in front of the Army barrack. At first, I used to think they were touts collecting 'agbero' money from trucks because those are the ones they usually harass. However, I was sure they would also rob if the opportunity came around- this report confirms my suspicions.

These guys used to come out between 3-4pm in the afternoon when trucks and tankers move to their respective destinations. Now, they come out in the morning as well from 7am onwards. There is no way that the police and army will say they do not know about this and it makes me really mad that nobody has done anything about it. As I type this, I am sure if you go to charity bus stop you will find them there. What's more they are expanding their territory from Charity up to Anthony bus stop.

Wake-up Fashola (chief security officer of Lagos State)! These guys will do something really nasty soon if they are not kept in check as their numbers are increasing everyday.

I am considering taking their photos but have not yet found the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY!
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by maclatunji: 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2011
They also harass those transporting stuff from the port. I think those are their favourite targets!
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Baawaa(m): 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2011
Fashola alone will face off hoodlums,but Tinubu still need them
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by kizito96(m): 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
Fashola is a single individual, have you played your part? these hoodlums come from some where families should manage their kids
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by maclatunji: 5:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
kizito96:

Fashola is a single individual, have you played your part? these hoodlums come from some where families should manage their kids

Sorry, Fashola is not "a single individual" but the Governor of Lagos State. I am the single individual who can do little, Fashola can do many things with his powers as Governor, stop giving excuses for mediocrity. angry
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by johnie: 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2011
maclatunji:

I am considering taking their photos but have not yet found the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY!

Picture(s) will be appreciated but remember, safety first!
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by maclatunji: 5:06pm On Dec 16, 2011
If I as an individual can give a detailed report on this security threat, why on earth can't all of our security agencies see the trend and the danger it poses? Sometimes, this country has me in despair!
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by maclatunji: 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
johnie:

Picture(s) will be appreciated but remember, safety first!

Thank you, don't worry too much.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by dayokanu(m): 5:52pm On Dec 16, 2011
When I was thinking of buying house in Oshodi
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Ndkings1(m): 6:06pm On Dec 16, 2011
Lagos as whole is not a place 2 live.
Evri time i go there i hadly spend a day cos of tin lyk dis.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by blacklion(m): 6:41pm On Dec 16, 2011
Baawaa:

Fashola alone will face off hoodlums,but Tinubu still need them

Gbam!

This is precisely the issue.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by FEMARY1: 7:19pm On Dec 16, 2011
smiley

Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by jmaine: 7:27pm On Dec 16, 2011
So the hoodlums issue is as serious as this . . . Not good at all  sad
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2011
Is Oshodi Transformation A Fluke As Hoodlums Regroup In The Area?

title on the hompegae

if it was a thread knocking gej the name would be reedited

threads on lagos on the other hand, are slanted for maximum denigration
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by gulfer: 9:03pm On Dec 16, 2011
The landlords are back. Lagos has blinked in the who-blink-first game. Any system requires monitoring, and this has been withdrawn / reduced in Oshodi in the last 1yr.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
Believe the story to be 100% true. I work in apapa and take the route to oshodi every working day. Last week just infront of our vehicle at mile 2, a guy and his female colleague were robbed around 6pm in the traffik without the boys being armed as you will see them again anyday anytime almost the same place. Besides, the oshodi boys are always in groups and batches around charity in front of army baraks everyday. No police to challenge them again or ar they working together?They always desturb and threating tokunbo cars and trucks. But now they hv advanced to rob anyone even during day light. Next time you are in the area, be careful friends.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by GboyegaD(m): 1:35am On Dec 17, 2011
Things are getting worse. I never knew they rob on Oshodi bridge. I have witnessed 2 around Apongbon and 1 on Eko Bridge just after the link road from Ijora to the bridge. I was driving in the traffic and they robbed the guy beside me. The advantage it gave me was that his front became a little free as the vehicles had moved so I quickly drove to his front and sped a little panting. Since then till I left Lagos, I ensure I don't leave the office till 10:30pm earliest and leave home not later than 5am just to avert traffic. Fasola should work with security agents and I believe together we will be able to fight this.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by Ladipodeal: 6:44am On Dec 17, 2011
some area boy chilling along Agege motor road Oshodi.

Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by blacklion(m): 7:53am On Dec 17, 2011
4bobo:

Believe the story to be 100% true. I work in apapa and take the route to oshodi every working day. Last week just infront of our vehicle at mile 2, a guy and his female colleague were robbed around 6pm in the traffik without the boys being armed as you will see them again anyday anytime almost the same place. Besides, the oshodi boys are always in groups and batches around charity in front of army baraks everyday. No police to challenge them again or ar they working together?They always desturb and threating tokunbo cars and trucks. But now they hv advanced to rob anyone even during day light. Next time you are in the area, be careful friends.

Apapa is a total hellhole. The robberies in the traffic jam at Tin Can and Mile 2 have been on for over 10 years plus. The Mile 2 robbers are mostly barracks pikin from the Army Signals barracks, that's partly why the police and LASG are helpless.
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by MAYORAUTO: 8:45am On Dec 17, 2011
This story I very real cos same tin happened to me at oshodi two weeks ago and the are 6 hoodlums as well! This issue should be looked into!
Re: Hoodlums Regroup In Oshodi, Dispossess Motorists Of Valuables by adisarasaq(m): 8:56am On Dec 17, 2011
It's true, thugs are everywhere now. From tin-can second gate, coconut, sunrise, mile2 oke, sanya, ijesha, sele, sadiku ilasa, iyana isholo, charity and even airport road that should be well secure. They attacked us about months ago on our way from tin-can port to airport road. It was about 12:30am, our vehicle brokedawn and they came with cutlass collected our phones, wallet and chase us away. We abandon our tokunbo loaded with computers but soon as we ran away police came and stop them from vanderlizing our load. My only surprise was that when we try to get police report for our stolen propertys, police advice us not to. They said we should check under the bridge the next day for our wallets, only thing we can't get back is our phone and money we had in our wallets. My conclution is that police knows them and maybe they are working together.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos From Accident That Happened Yesterday In Asaba / Photos Of Channels TV Reporter Who Died From Shiites-Police Clash Gun Injuries / Nigeria At 60: Towards The Land Of Our Dreams - Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.