Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover  - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover  (1563 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Wedding Invitation & Details,To Marry Wuraola Obanor Next Saturday / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by abey2(m): 3:07am On Dec 17, 2011
Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover  
Plans have been concluded by the family of a man, Ifeanyi Sunday, whose lover, Chinyere Ezeala, died in his home at Ejigbo, Lagos State, Southwest, Nigeria after rounds of sex, to marry the deceased as tradition demands in order to be able to bury her.
The late Chinyere was a final year student of the Lagos State University, LASU, Ojo before her death.
Families of the deceased and her lover allegedly reached this agreement at the Ejigbo Police Station where the matter was reported so that the criminal case against him can be withdrawn. But the police denied involvement in the arrangement.
P.M.NEWS had on Monday, 12 December reported how the man, Ifeanyi Sunday found his lover, Chinyere Ezeala, dead in his house at 36, Fayemi Street, Ejigbo, Lagos and reported to the police at Ejigbo.
He was immediately arrested and detained by the police at Ejigbo station.
Investigations revealed that the agreement to marry the deceased was one of the decisions reached at a peace meeting between the two families.
P.M.NEWS gathered further that apart from marrying the late Ezeala according to Igbo culture and tradition, he will also sponsor her burial rites.
When contacted, an uncle of the deceased who simply gave his name as Ezeala confirmed the ageement, adding that the two families had gone to the police station to get the autopsy report but the police said it was not ready. The corpse is at Isolo General Hospital, Lagos.
“We have reached agreement, there is no problem. We have agreed that Sunday will act as her husband during the traditional burial rites. The rites had to be performed before she can be buried,” he confirmed.
Co-tenants at the Ejigbo residence of Sunday confirmed that the late Chinyere was a regular visitor to the house every weekend and used to spend days before leaving for school.
P.M.NEWS sought the opinions of Igbo elders on the culture of marrying the dead in Igboland and this is what some of them have to say.
An Igbo chief based in Lagos, High Chief John Nwosu told P.M.NEWS that the practice is a well known tradition in Igboland. He said before such a person is buried, the man must marry the deceased, according to tradition, including paying her bride price, marriage ceremony and other rites before she is buried.
Eze Ndigbo of Lagos State, Eze Christian Nwachukwu said the practice of  marrying the dead in Igboland was in the past, but these days, it depends on the family of the deceased who can insist on such demand.
He said a family may decide to wave it if it there was proper introduction but marriage has not taken place.
Nwachukwu said he had been treating such cases in his palace and sometime travel to Igboland to mediate on such matters. He added that the situation becomes worse if the parties are from different cultures.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Abagworo(m): 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2011
Yes this is one of the odd Igbo culture. There is another culture of woman marrying another woman. Performing full burial rites for a dead snake.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 17, 2011
^
Is there some kind of board or organisation that reviews Igbo culture, or better still that can enforce the outlawing of some odd igbo culture?

@topic. I have a feeling that this odd stuff was revived as a form of vengeance for the controversial loss of their daughter, forgetting that the deceased went to the guy's house out of her own volition.

If I were the guy involved I'll flatly refuse doing such.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by ChinenyeN(m): 6:47pm On Dec 17, 2011
Well done by the family. I'd have done similar.

mbatuku2:

Is there some kind of board or organisation that reviews Igbo culture, or better still that can enforce the outlawing of some odd igbo culture?
Any such nonsense is unwelcome.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Chyz2: 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2011
mbatuku2:

^

Outlaw what? This was done in my own family not too long ago. There is nothing wrong with it. It is culture. Nothing evil or odd about it at all.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by aljharem3: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
mbatuku2:

^

Dude, we cannot change every single aspect of our culture just because we don't like it. Culture is what defines us as a people.

till today, there are still some fulani families that would flog the hell out of you to marry their daughter.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2011
Chyz*:

Outlaw what? This was done in my own family not too long ago. There is nothing wrong with it. It is culture. Nothing evil or odd about it at all.

What happens if the man in question refuses to oblige? Remember the supposed bribe is dead, so nothing like you can't have our daughter if you dont do this. I hope they meet a stubborn crackhead like me, they'll see how foolish such a request is.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by ChinenyeN(m): 8:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
^^i d'akala?
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2011
ChinenyeN:

^^i d'akala?

Otu olee?
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by ChinenyeN(m): 8:56pm On Dec 17, 2011
Ngwa nka la ngwhere nlia l'ukwhu osisi, aka akparala ya. I kotafu? O bu onye ntaa akara, la ya njinu ugwo. M maala to ma i disi ikota ta i ka m dee ya la Bekee?
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ngwa nka la ngwhere nlia l'ukwhu osisi, aka akparala ya. I kotafu? O bu onye ntaa akara, la ya njinu ugwo. M maala to ma i disi ikota ta i ka m dee ya la Bekee?

Akotaram, kama otua okwhuna nno la aka ndi uwehi oji dinma. ha kwesiri i hafu ke ugwo isi madu n nwuru anwu.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by ChinenyeN(m): 1:34am On Dec 18, 2011
mbatuku2:

Akotaram, kama otua okwhuna nno la aka ndi uwehi oji dinma. ha kwesiri i hafu ke ugwo isi madu n nwuru anwu.
Kwhoro giri? A di hnwe o mere? Hwne kaa nbu hnwe ekwere we ezilulo la ezilulo.

abey2:

Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover  
Plans have been concluded by the family of a man, Ifeanyi Sunday, whose lover, Chinyere Ezeala, died in his home at Ejigbo, Lagos State, Southwest, Nigeria after rounds of sex, to marry the deceased as tradition demands in order to be able to bury her.
The late Chinyere was a final year student of the Lagos State University, LASU, Ojo before her death.
Families of the deceased and her lover allegedly reached this agreement at the Ejigbo Police Station where the matter was reported so that the criminal case against him can be withdrawn. [/b]But the police denied involvement in the arrangement.
P.M.NEWS had on Monday, 12 December reported how the man, Ifeanyi Sunday found his lover, Chinyere Ezeala, dead in his house at 36, Fayemi Street, Ejigbo, Lagos and reported to the police at Ejigbo.
He was immediately arrested and detained by the police at Ejigbo station.
[b]Investigations revealed that the agreement to marry the deceased was one of the decisions reached at a peace meeting between the two families.

P.M.NEWS gathered further that apart from marrying the late Ezeala according to Igbo culture and tradition, he will also sponsor her burial rites.
When contacted, an uncle of the deceased who simply gave his name as Ezeala confirmed the ageement, adding that the two families had gone to the police station to get the autopsy report but the police said it was not ready. The corpse is at Isolo General Hospital, Lagos.
“We have reached agreement, there is no problem. We have agreed that Sunday will act as her husband during the traditional burial rites. The rites had to be performed before she can be buried,” he confirmed.
Co-tenants at the Ejigbo residence of Sunday confirmed that the late Chinyere was a regular visitor to the house every weekend and used to spend days before leaving for school.
P.M.NEWS sought the opinions of Igbo elders on the culture of marrying the dead in Igboland and this is what some of them have to say.
An Igbo chief based in Lagos, High Chief John Nwosu told P.M.NEWS that the practice is a well known tradition in Igboland. He said before such a person is buried, the man must marry the deceased, according to tradition, including paying her bride price, marriage ceremony and other rites before she is buried.
Eze Ndigbo of Lagos State, Eze Christian Nwachukwu said the practice of  marrying the dead in Igboland was in the past, but these days, it depends on the family of the deceased who can insist on such demand.
He said a family may decide to wave it if it there was proper introduction but marriage has not taken place.
Nwachukwu said he had been treating such cases in his palace and sometime travel to Igboland to mediate on such matters. He added that the situation becomes worse if the parties are from different cultures.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Obiagu1(m): 2:40am On Dec 18, 2011
This is not Igbo culture. I've never heard of it and the story seems false.

Where's the link?

As far as I know, it was cooked up to resemble this.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by Chyz2: 6:08am On Dec 18, 2011
Obiagu1:

This is not Igbo culture. I've never heard of it and the story seems false.

Where's the link?

As far as I know, it was cooked up to resemble this.

It is. It may be just that your part of Igboland does not practice it. I am a witness of this thing happening. I even have d pictures. Its real and there's nothing wrong with it.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:33am On Dec 18, 2011
the fellow deserves it. let him marry the dead and his shame carried unto his death. angry
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by nedu210(m): 9:00pm On Dec 18, 2011
after marrying this corpes he will then come and officially announce the death of his wife. Hmm!!! (This is the second sleeping with the enemy) my own is let the guy not kill him self after performing the marriage rite like saint obi did in the above movie, he was mandated to marry his girl frnd that died in his house.
Re: Boyfriend Forced To Marry Dead Lover by kieryn(f): 3:30am On Dec 19, 2011
Abeg just bury the girl and let her rest in peace. So the guy must be"punished" for airing his dirty laundry? He just got caught, yet he is not the only one sleeping with his girlfriend. Many do it. Beside nobody said he killed her.

****When she becomes his wife does that mean she would be buried in his family compound*******

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Mallams Squat To Piss! / One On One With Logicboy-"Why Regard African Supernatural and Abrahamic As Same" / Why Are Igbo People Being Reffered To As Osu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.