Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,238 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges (14832 Views)

FG Cancels NIMASA University Project, Seeks Payment Refund / FG Cancels Presidential Scholarship(pressid) / FG Cancels Pipeline Protection Contracts’ Award To Ethnic Militias (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by aribisala0(m): 1:54am On Dec 20, 2011
RUMOUR. WE are not in a military government
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by aloyemeka1: 2:00am On Dec 20, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011
[size=14pt]Gov Fashola, what are you doing to Lagosians? What is this?[/size]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-LPbTzq18nTg/Tu8mnewSjyI/AAAAAAAANXc/R_j5wkOL8is/s1600/3.jpg[/img]

Lekki Phase1 Tollgate began charging on Sunday 18th December, just a day after residents of the area protested the forceful imposition of toll by the Lagos State Govt in collaboration with Lagos Concession Company, allegedly owned by former Governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-RsiwX-J3rOo/Tu8lqNV83EI/AAAAAAAANXM/aI7wrgpZC-M/s1600/1.jpeg[/img]

The traffic created by this toll was unbelievable, as it took at least 45 minutes to move a distance of 50m from the toll gate through to the other side. The N120 charged vehicles made things more frustrating as it became a big challenge to give people their change. If it's this bad on a Sunday, what will happen on week days?

The toll rates charged are as follows: Motorbikes - N50. Sedans - N120. Vans/small buses/Suvs - N150. Commercial buses - N80. Light trucks and two axle buses - N250. Heavy duty trucks - N350.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-vS8ZUj5gYmM/Tu8lsG86HlI/AAAAAAAANXU/TsMZGnzuO30/s1600/2.jpg[/img]

Gov Fashola, why are you letting this happen? What can Lagosians do to stop this?
Posted by Linda Ikeji at 1:28 PM

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/12/gov-fashola-what-are-you-ding-to.html
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by babaowo: 2:28am On Dec 20, 2011
but honestly i would rather pay for good roads than repairing cars always, ppl should think twice ooo,
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by babaowo: 2:34am On Dec 20, 2011
ppl should try nd relocate to their villages if lagos is too expensive to life, go and fight in your state, ppl come here make money ? to pay back is becomes problem,go and fight in your state be U WHO SERGENT SAWALE is better than GENERAL BOGUNLOO,
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by soloqy: 2:57am On Dec 20, 2011
The people living in Lekki are not against tolling as a concept but the toll amount and system.

Anytime you pass the toll(going or coming) you pay at least N120 each time. If you go to work outside of Lekki, you pay going and coming. Anytime you or your family members want to go buy something from the mall or market outside the tolling area, you pay. Whan you do the calculations, people will be paying tha average of 500-600 Naira per day(At the least) on tolls alone. Multiply that by ten days and its 5- 6 thousand naira. A month , they would be spending close to 20, 000 naira on tolls alone. A year they would be paying about 250k only on tolls? I dont live in Lekki but thats robbery.

Like someone mentioned somewhere , they should change the whole system and let people buy tickets on a per day basis. That is, car owner can buy the 120 naira ticket from designated areas and use it for the whole day at the tolling gates. They can choose to buy bundles of tickets for the whole month or week and that would help the government keep proper records. It would also reduce the traffic situation caused by tolling agents looking for change to give people. This system as it is now, is simply too expensive.

Announcing alternative routes is just an opportunity for the area boys to make money illegally, harass and maim people.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by kaylachizz: 5:56am On Dec 20, 2011
I don't think so,if fg can that will be good
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by james1(m): 6:48am On Dec 20, 2011
Odiaero.you are back in 9ja?lol.
Who the hell said lekki epe freeway is a state road?you don't understand simple history?even kingsway/osbourne road is not a state road.just as badagry or oshodi expressway is not a state road.there is an alternative seaside road to epe,formerly starting at V/I,now after Oniru.why did the thieving government not construct that road?
To have 2 toll gates and I understand there will be a third one after ajah in lekki alone is wicked and borders on robbing the people of lagos state!
A government that brought policemen and thugs to harass,beat and arrest people protesting peacefully is barbaric and I must add is a big misfortune for us.
As for you shouting that they should go to their state to"fight"I bet you won't dare say that if it was before independence.you forget or you don't know that the Nigerian constitution did not just say as a citizen one can reside anywhere freely within the country and infact run for office.am advising you to"park well"so thunder will not fire your mouth for uttering rubbish.
Even though FG has given out word that tolling will return in 2012 to FG road,in other for them to maintain the road,the toll rate will not be exorbitant like the daylight robbery going on at oniru.(Whatever happened to 20 or 50 naira)
Wait,why did the toll gate not start before oriental?LOL.Thieving bastards!!!
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by ENZOSCIFO1: 7:33am On Dec 20, 2011
For days I have read from different topics relating to this toll issue @ the Lekki axis and nobody has been able to fully explain why a fully residentiial area is being tolled why other residential area of the state is not tolled like boudillon (has the best road in lagos for now).

I will help all with an explanation. Ever heard of the LFTZ i.e Lekki free trade zone? well tolling of the road leading there is just the first part of what is to happen. The fact is Tinubu and his cronies knows how much of traffic goes through the Apapa Wharf axis and the potential that has for money making. The idea is to promote the LFTZ in such away that docking of ships and other cargo carrying vessels will prefer the LFTZ to Apapa, by paying lesser charges and other duties and levies, this automatically makes the LFTZ not only rival Apapa port (controlled by FG) but to ultimately steal its business. And you have the emergence of another Apapa only this time around its LFTZ with enormous traffic for business purposes, now this smart dude just want to feed fat on the traffic they will generate in that axis, u need to spend a day on the oshodi _Apapa express way ( the Apapa/Berger end) to fully comprehend the kind of tarrif accruable from tolling of a road that is that busy.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by lastpage: 7:34am On Dec 20, 2011
@james1
^^^^^^^Wait,why did the toll gate not start before oriental HOTEL? LOL.Thieving bastards!!!

You think that thieving bas.tard is not smart? wink grin
How do you expect T[/b]h[b]i[/b]ef[b]nubu's LCC to erect a Toll to TAX the customers coming into his own Oriental Hotel (built with money stolen from LASG!)

It is the people of Lekki that deserves to be strangulated while Fashola (accomplice to looting) and Ojuyobo smile to the bank!
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by dagboss(m): 9:06am On Dec 20, 2011
So people are paying now!!! Now the story is not about reenacting North Africa revolution, but CONGESTION : WHO IS THE IGNORANT ONE OR THE ONE TALKING CRAP NOW? Yesterday the umbrella body for all political parties in Nigeria CNPP backed the Lagos government on the issue of tolling claiming it was over politicized. When PDP joined the fray i knew the protest had died a premature death. Or are we still expecting the North African option?
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by peelovee(f): 9:21am On Dec 20, 2011
shocked Source please shocked
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by Akainzo(m): 9:30am On Dec 20, 2011
To everyone parroting that the Lekki road leads to a purely residential are, let it be known that the official name for that road for more than a decade is Lekki-Epe Expressway. It is a highway, a trunk B road that has now been reclassified as Trunk A. That road was never residential as it was built and is being maintained as a highway.

BTW, while the tolling was in place on the Sagamu-Benin expressway, why were there no protests on behalf of the poor villagers living along its path, or was that expressway built and all villages bordering it evacuated? Note that while it was in place, the poor villagers in Okada town had to pay toll to go see their relatives in Benin. The poor villagers in Obigbo also paid toll to go work daily while commuting to Port-Harcourt in Rivers State, were there protest then?

From the way I see it, this protests are more political/sentimental than anything else. People are being riled based on the perceived beneficiary or owner of the company while they do rough calculations of what the toll plazas would generate yearly. They however fail to calculate the costs in salaries, road repairs and infrastructure maintenance over the life of the concession.

Tolling is not new in Nigeria, and highways can be tolled anywhere else in the world. Nigeria isn’t an exception.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by kidgenious(m): 10:53am On Dec 20, 2011
You all have said well,some supporting the govt while others rejecting giving reasonable opinions.But i think nigeria's problem is such that everyone has an opinion or solution for a matter that ordinarily shouldnt have arised if we have a good-thinking govt.Tolling isnt a big deal but the timing and the whole arrangement is a charade.Then the cost and the alternative route is also an issue.I believe there should have been a test run without collecting payment to make people embrace the idea of tolling since its being a while tolling has been taking off our roads to enable them see the impact and reactions to it.Starting the tolling without considering the reactions has shown that FG n state govts dont care what its masses think since they can do whatever they want at any time.

Tolling is ok if they are going to use the proceeds to put the road in good order constantly but the price,method of collection and the alternative routes are the big challenges that need to be resolved fast to make the experience worthwhile.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by alex406(m): 5:46pm On Dec 20, 2011
kidgenious:

You all have said well,some supporting the govt while others rejecting giving reasonable opinions.But i think nigeria's problem is such that everyone has an opinion or solution for a matter that ordinarily shouldnt have arised if we have a good-thinking govt.Tolling isnt a big deal but the timing and the whole arrangement is a charade.Then the cost and the alternative route is also an issue.I believe there should have been a test run without collecting payment to make people embrace the idea of tolling since its being a while tolling has been taking off our roads to enable them see the impact and reactions to it.Starting the tolling without considering the reactions has shown that FG n state govts dont care what its masses think since they can do whatever they want at any time.

Tolling is ok if they are going to use the proceeds to put the road in good order constantly but the price,method of collection and the alternative routes are the big challenges that need to be resolved fast to make the experience worthwhile.

The only reasonable post i have read in a while. Good one.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by eio2013: 1:59pm On Aug 28, 2013
Which is more of a hoax when lagos state govt evicted baga residents on a FG land given to them without consultation..
The lekki toll is a fraud.

Koolking:

Hoax!!!! For the fact that fed govt cancels toll on a state road without recourse to the state makes it a grand hoax. However, the people's wish should prevail on this issue. This toll will impact negatively on the people of the area most especially during emergency situations. I wish it was true.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm / Aregbesola And Adeleke Distribute Okadas And Sewing Machines In Osun West / PDP Condemns Invasion Of Akwa-ibom House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.