Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,140 members, 7,852,885 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:54 AM

Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges (14841 Views)

FG Cancels NIMASA University Project, Seeks Payment Refund / FG Cancels Presidential Scholarship(pressid) / FG Cancels Pipeline Protection Contracts’ Award To Ethnic Militias (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by oritim: 5:05pm On Dec 19, 2011
its incredible, paying as much as that on a 10km of road in apurely residential area. Fashola should add human face to hi quest for developping infrastructure in Lagos.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by crusufixo(m): 5:22pm On Dec 19, 2011
I thought as much that this might happen because the traffic that occured this morning cos of the toll was something. I cant fathom y a route that's usually so free wen going to work in the morning all of a sudden becomes a heavy traffic point. Cant wait to see how this would play out !!!!!!!!!. But the truth is, the toll is just darm high. a toll of between N20 to N50 is really fair enuf ( they would most definitely still make their moni ).
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by j4sure(m): 5:31pm On Dec 19, 2011
hw true is this story?i taught Mr fashola say no going back
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by expert555: 5:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
Marked my words this tolling business in a residential area will not work, in other countries I have been is always a motor way that is tolled not a residential road. The trafic on that road will be such a mess eventually the tolling tariff will be a abandoned.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by 1025: 5:51pm On Dec 19, 2011
this sounds too fake to be truth. meanwhile, who is fg? fg is more interested in fuel subsidy removal and as such does not care abt the traffic situation in lekki. how can one believe this when our federal roads are not in any way better. i just came back from east and the traffi situation on the lagos - benin expressway is more worrying than that of lekki. imagine policemen blocking the whole roads to make room for them to be collecting their own tool fees.
shameless fg with little or no information abt the masses.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by dinggle: 6:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
In the first place the toll makes no sense. Govt can not charge citizens for performing its duties. Add up the total man hours that would be wasted on traffic daily and you would agree with me that the toll needs to be completely removed and a better method be applied. At an under price wage of N100/per hr on each adult held on traffic more than N10million will be lost daily, it doesn't make economic sense. A super highway advert could be created by the concession firm to generate bigger and better income. Besides the distance from VGC or Lekki to VI is too short to have a toll. A single toll lane for heavy trucks / trailers is preferable because of their impacts on the roads. The assumption that anyone living in lekki is rich is completely wrong.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by MARKREN: 6:19pm On Dec 19, 2011
To those of you who support this extortion in the name of concessionaire. It goes to show how short your memories are.

This road was built as a dual carrage lane almost 20 years ago by a democratically elected Govt (Lateff Jakande) along with the huge estate in order to ease housing problems in Lagos state. There has been no significant maintenance work on that road since then.

We are now meant to pay tolls for this road initially built by tax payers money. Anyone who understands how tolls work know that it  is usually levied on new roads, bridges or tunnels constructed from scratch, while the charges are minimal and adjusted for inflation since it is for a long time- 25-40 years.

All LCC did was to add one additional lane (not two or even 3 - This road is still smaller than Ikorodu road a major highway which has 5 Lanes and was built in the 70s) and some round abouts over a stretch that is less than 20KM.

How can anyone who lives in that area and provides him or herself with water, security, schools, inner streets & roads to access their houses, justify the exorbitant charge despite the other taxes & levies we are made to pay.

By my computation LCC will recover its investment in less than 5 years . How can they then justify the sums to be collected in the remaining 25 years,

For those of you who support it because you can afford it (wheather legitimately or otherwise), I put it to you nothing lasts forever (IBB, Abacha & OBJ all thought they could rule Nigeria forever). Four years from now ACN will reap what it has sown here mark my words. Tinubu's rule/strangle hold on Lagos will cease when this time is up.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by olathunde(m): 6:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
The Lagos State Government explained the need and provided alternative routes for those who do not want to use the Lekki Toll Gate.

Those protesting are just noisemakers.

They spend more than that making unnecessary calls and sending useless text messages on their mobile phones.

Seee ur mouth, which other routes do you suggest. Oniru will start collecting their own toll or simply lock their gates
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by ade80: 7:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
Orikinla:

The Lagos State Government explained the need and provided alternative routes for those who do not want to use the Lekki Toll Gate.

They spend more than that making unnecessary calls and sending useless text messages on their mobile phones.
[/quo

In that case bode Thomas road has been repaired I think they should toll it and the  orile - Badagry road too.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by bighead1(m): 7:20pm On Dec 19, 2011
that is absurd
i mean, this will create jobs and the road will be very well maintained,
but why are the cause of our hinderances?
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Dec 19, 2011
@Poster, is there a source for this news?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by humblebee: 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2011
ogasir2011:

Na "Amebo" question be that nah. Next time ask professionally !!!

OVER AND OUT

grin grin grin
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by marcus1234: 8:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by karlmax2: 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2011
olathunde:

Seee your mouth, which other routes do you suggest. Oniru will start collecting their own toll or simply lock their gates

They've started already the BOYS were collecting N50 per car to pass what a shame
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by femzy(m): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2011
Its obvious we can't rule ourselves anymore; i think we should be recolonized , smh for this country.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by dayokanu(m): 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2011
Na palmwine shop news be that one
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by endmoll(m): 8:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
For those of you who are crying about paying at the toll gate, if you can afford to buy a car worth millions of naira then you should shut your mouth and pay for the freaking toll.
Many of you always refer and talk of western countries forgeting that there  citizens are the ones that helped make there country what it is today. So any body coming here to make noise about the toll should suck it up and move to Ajegunle were he or she will not pay toll PERIOD.
Every one of us wants to go to heaven but we are all afraid to die,for us to attain to a developed nation we must learn how to first pay taxes and pay for the services that we enjoy be it electricity,water,road,healthcare and then being accountable.
I hate the when people come out here to make noise and think every thing should be free because they are citizens of the earth thereby it is there birth right to have a those amnesties without paying for it.
Most of us who come out here to yell at the government most times can't even manage there own families but they have a perfect vision of how a country should be run. I am not saying that every thing is going well in Nigeria but we need to look inwards at our self,the change we need has to start from me and you before the government can change.
Who are the government? This the question we need to ask ourselves,until we get to the answer that is when we can start to have visible change in our comunity
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by manny4life(m): 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2011
^^^

Using your own theory, if you can afford to work with your hands, and legs and earn millions of naira annually or over a period of time, the it's OK for the govt to charge you 50% of your income as taxes, shocked shocked shocked
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by endmoll(m): 8:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
MARK-REN:

To those of you who support this extortion in the name of concessionaire. It goes to show how short your memories are.

This road was built as a dual carrage lane almost 20 years ago by a democratically elected Govt (Lateff Jakande) along with the huge estate in order to ease housing problems in Lagos state. There has been no significant maintenance work on that road since then.

We are now meant to pay tolls for this road initially built by tax payers money. Anyone who understands how tolls work know that it  is usually levied on new roads, bridges or tunnels constructed from scratch, while the charges are minimal and adjusted for inflation since it is for a long time- 25-40 years.

All LCC did was to add one additional lane (not two or even 3 - This road is still smaller than Ikorodu road a major highway which has 5 Lanes and was built in the 70s) and some round abouts over a stretch that is less than 20KM.

How can anyone who lives in that area and provides him or herself with water, security, schools, inner streets & roads to access their houses, justify the exorbitant charge despite the other taxes & levies we are made to pay.

By my computation LCC will recover its investment in less than 5 years . How can they then justify the sums to be collected in the remaining 25 years,  

For those of you who support it because you can afford it (wheather legitimately or otherwise), I put it to you nothing lasts forever (IBB, Abacha & OBJ all thought they could rule Nigeria forever). Four years from now ACN will reap what it has sown here mark my words. Tinubu's rule/strangle hold on Lagos will cease when this time is up.
Dude why don't you pack to Ajegunle and transact your business within that axis and stop complaining. I guess because Nigeria is an oil producer therefor fuel should be free in Nigeria. Change your mind set and you will see your development.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by endmoll(m): 9:01pm On Dec 19, 2011
manny4life:

^^^

Using your own theory, if you can afford to work with your hands, and legs and earn millions of naira annually or over a period of time, the it's OK for the govt to charge you 50% of your income as taxes, shocked shocked shocked
One of the options you have is to sit at home and wait for manner to fall fall heaven.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by endmoll(m): 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2011
expert555:

Marked my words this tolling business in a residential area will not work, in other countries I have been is always a motor way that is tolled not a residential road. The trafic on that road will be such a mess eventually the tolling tariff will be a abandone
Where have you travelled to and seen that it is only motor way that is been tolled.
How do you get to those residential roads without the motor way,free way or high way?
Make sure of what you say before coming out here to infect people with wrong information.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by endmoll(m): 9:09pm On Dec 19, 2011
expert555:

Marked my words this tolling business in a residential area will not work, in other countries I have been is always a motor way that is tolled not a residential road. The trafic on that road will be such a mess eventually the tolling tariff will be a abandoned.
How do you get to those residential roads without the motor way,free way or high way?
Make sure of what you say before coming out here to infect people with wrong information
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by endmoll(m): 9:10pm On Dec 19, 2011
manny4life:

^^^

[/One of the options you have is to sit at home and wait for manner to fall fall heaven.quote]
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by otokx(m): 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2011
keep taking cheap drugs
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by ade80: 9:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
endmoll:

For those of you who are crying about paying at the toll gate, if you can afford to buy a car worth millions of naira then you should shut your mouth and pay for the freaking toll.
Many of you always refer and talk of western countries forgeting that there  citizens are the ones that helped make there country what it is today. So any body coming here to

make noise about the toll should suck it up and move to Ajegunle were he or she will not pay toll PERIOD.
Every one of us wants to go to heaven but we are all afraid to die,for us to attain to a developed nation we must learn how to first pay taxes and pay for the services that we enjoy be it electricity,water,road,healthcare and then being accountable.
I hate the when people come out here to make noise and think every thing should be free because they are citizens of the earth thereby it is there birth right to have a those amnesties without paying for it.
Most of us who come out here to yell at the government most times can't even manage there own families but they have a perfect vision of how a country should be run. I am not saying that every thing is going well in Nigeria but we need to look inwards at our self,the change we need has to start from me and you before the government can change.
Who are the government? This the question we need to ask ourselves,until we get to the answer that is when we can start to have visible change in our comunity

So you mean becos someone can afford a suv he should be made to pay tolls what about the other newly constructed roads in other parts of Lagos why were they not tolled after all people have SUVs in those areas too if govt wants to impose tolls it should be done everywhere Ikoyi, VI, Banana Island, surulere, festac, Lagos island
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by Sprumbaba: 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by vislabraye(m): 9:41pm On Dec 19, 2011
I passed thru the toll gate and paid twice. When i was returning, i told them i did not have money to pay, and they were confused. Thye couldnt send me back because of the traffic. I ended up paying, and I saw the relief on their faces.
Foolish government. What if everyone decides not to pay, would they force them? We have hundreds of thousands car owners in Lekki, if each person decides not to pay, will Govt. shoot them? Or how would they decide to send some one back if he refuses to pay?
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by antartica(m): 9:49pm On Dec 19, 2011
How commercially buoyant is this lekki route that makes the government wants to toll it?What kind of road users are they targetting for making it toll road? Is it mainly for the purpose of cutting down traffic,which is good or just for the purpose of raising money by all means without necessarily putting it back in the system with a rogue like tinubu behind the scheme?
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by turawafett(f): 10:23pm On Dec 19, 2011
I grew up in Lekki which is 3 LGA namely Epe, Ibeju and Eti - Osa LGA and this is the only road that link them to Lagos Island where most of the goods and services comes from. when the name Lekki pops up people limit it to Lekki Phase one up to Chevron. the truth of the matter is that they are just a small fraction of Lekki, do not forget that these are people villages. if the toll is just two nobody will complain, but three toll gates within one LGA is bad, imagine some living in Sangotedo where well finished 3 beedroom flat goes for #400K having to pay close to #500k as toll fees in a year for 30 years. A plot of land with c of o sales for #2m in Ogombo, you still have to pay toll 4times for a round trip to Ogombo, to Lagos Business school 6 times for a round trips haba. knowing fully well that these areas are residential areas and not commercial.

Haba this is daytime robbery, people are quick to compare Lekki to Lagos Airport where toll are charged at same price, but not everybody has business with airport on daily basis but everybody has business with where they live everyday.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by tpia5: 10:25pm On Dec 19, 2011
What concerns the fg with lekki?

Have they finished with boko haram yet?

Do they even know there's such a thing as boko haram?
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by texazzpete(m): 10:26pm On Dec 19, 2011
Orikinla:

Clearly your reputation as an intellectual is undeserved.
Re: Victory At Last: FG Cancels Lekki Toll Gate Charges by Sike(m): 10:42pm On Dec 19, 2011
Speechless!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Youth Intercept 2 Suicide Bombers In Biu / Opposition 101: A Guide To Effective Opposition criticism, General Checkmating / Edo Bye Election: Oshiomhole, Others Cast Votes [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.