Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,800 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: (13374 Views)

Renewing An Almost Expired Passport At The Nigerian Embassy In Vienna Or Berlin / I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. / Query re: endorsement of new ePassport with details of an old expired passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 9:02am On Dec 20, 2011
solved
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 9:16am On Dec 20, 2011
by the way just to add i got the passport JAN 2006, EXPIRED JAN 2011

just to mention i do have a long layover in london(from 1pm > 9PM or so)

so if theres something i can do there, id be willing to do it,
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by moi2(f): 9:54am On Dec 20, 2011
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 9:55am On Dec 20, 2011
thanks, i already read all threads on here and google i could find on it

seems people are split 50/50,

some say its ok, np, others say no,

im confused, stuck, and dont want to lose my money
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 20, 2011
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 2:55pm On Dec 20, 2011
i do have a nigerian visa i got 5yrs ago, one time entry, had to use it to go back before getting passport. looks like a crap piece of paper and someone wrote the date with pen.lol

thinking of an eraser and changing the 06 to a 12.lol

cheesy

i wont do it, but just saying, no way they can tell anyway, not sure if someone has nigerian visa but it looks so crappy you can make one in photoshop in 5mins
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by dancewith: 3:18pm On Dec 20, 2011
@poster,

Don't travel on the expired passport. It is illegal worldwide. Even during deportations, if valid passports are not found, a travel certificate is required for the deportee. some countries allow visa nationals to travel on an expired passport which has an unexpired visa but in addition you must be carrying a valid passport also.

Even if you are British and want to return to London and your passport is expired, you must get an emergency travel cert from the foreign British embassy. I have never heard of someone allowed to travel on an expired passport. Better to err on the side of caution
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by dellnet: 3:20pm On Dec 20, 2011
Why don't you use the little time you have left to go to Atlanta and get Emergency Travel Certificate or visa itself I think there is express service? However, if you can get on the plane just have someone to wait for you at the airport in Nigeria. I strongly suggest you go to Atlanta first.
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 3:36pm On Dec 20, 2011
heres the problem, its tuesday, i live in california

no way i can get down to ATL and finish everything before friday, its not like i can just drive there or something,

As for passport, lets remember my USA passport is valid, only thing expired is nigerian passport,
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by kelz88(f): 3:38pm On Dec 20, 2011
Pretend your passport is missing.

How silly not to have checked if it was still valid. Hmmm!
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by dellnet: 5:13pm On Dec 20, 2011
I just input your info into IATA it said "The documentation you hold is sufficient based on your details and the itinerary provided. "

I put your nationality as Nigerian, your place of residence as USA, your passport issued BY USA, your US passport expire somewhere in the future. Then it added this

"Holders of old style machine readable passports issued to nationals of Nigeria are permitted to enter Nigeria. However, these passports are not valid for departure from Nigeria and should be replaced by a new biometric passport."

So why don't you call the airline and give them the exact info above and hear what they say?

When I put expired Nigerian passport and Nigerian national it said no, you must travel on valid documents.
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 6:35pm On Dec 20, 2011
can you please give me link you used
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by jjman2322: 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2011
According to delta, I put my info into their system

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for Former nationals of Nigeria holding valid foreign passport together with expired Nigerian
passports.

so maybe im worrying too much
Re: Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: by dellnet: 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2011
jjman2322:

can you please give me link you used
Sorry dude browsing through the forum and just saw your request.
http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm
Anyways hope you have sorted yourself out.

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Keep Your Home Safe When You Travel For christmas / 15 Of 162 New Libyan Returnees Arrive With Pregnancies / Thailand Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.