Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

I Need Clarification On The Land Use Act - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Need Clarification On The Land Use Act (496 Views)

Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … / Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge / Land Use Act Vs Tanament Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Need Clarification On The Land Use Act by toluxa1(m): 1:44pm On Dec 21, 2011
Greetings friends. Please I require a little clarification on a issue we (my friends and I) argued about recently from my gurus in here.

The argument started on the issue of the Niger state government acquiring some houses (houses that have been in that area for decades now) for demolition. I was then saying if I had a property in that area, with all valid documents including C of O etc, I won't 'agree', i.e I won't allow my house be demolished. A friend then brought up the issue of the Land Use Act telling me that ALL LANDS IN NIGERIA BELONGS SOLELY TO THE GOVERNMENT.

The clarification I need is this: Does the land use act actually mean that regardless of where and what landed property I have and regardless of my C of O and other documents, the Government can come anytime if need be an demolish my house because all lands belong to the government? Are they required by law to pay for it? How is the negotiation of payment done or do they just COMPENSATE one however they seem fit? How exactly does the LUA work? Why are some compensated in some areas and others are not? Thanks in anticipation of proper responses.
Re: I Need Clarification On The Land Use Act by resortprop: 4:05pm On Dec 21, 2011
Dear Friend,
All LANDS BELONGS TO GOD, but the law of the country in Nigeria says all LANDS BELONG TO THE GOVERNMENT no matter where it is.

All you could do is to have a VALUER determine the value of the land for you at a FORCED SALE VALUE and you present the valuation to the STATE or you submit it. And the government can decide to pay any compensation they wish at there own value.

So no matter where it is, na Government Land.
Re: I Need Clarification On The Land Use Act by toluxa1(m): 11:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
Oh, thanks. More comments are welcomed please.

(1) (Reply)

A New 3bed In Chevron Lekki 600k. All Ensuite. / For Sale!a Plot And Half With Building On It: New Road B4 Chevron Lekki Lagos.08185899818 / Mini-flat @ Agungi,lekki 4 N300k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.