Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … (10205 Views)

See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge / The N589.3M House In Omole As Valued By LASG For Land Use Charge / Land Use Charge Law Of 2018: Things You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Laredojohn(m): 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2016
Land Use Charge: Lagos moves to seal properties of defaulters
…Says Landlords not tenants should pay LUC
…Warns residents against patronizing touts

The Lagos Government on Monday said it would not hesitate to seal the properties of residents who default in paying their Land Use Charge (LUC), just as it warned that it may explore the option of prosecuting defaulters according to the Law.

Addressing journalists at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre in Alausa Secretariat, Commissioner for Finance, Dr. Mustapha Akinkunmi, disclosed that the State Government has put in place a variety of payment options which included paying at the bank or the nearest Land Use Charge offices to residents using cash or POS or payment online through credit or debit cards.

Akinkunmi, who apologised for the delay in the distribution of the bills this year, attributed it to the need to clean up the data sets which were previously in operation, adding that a more robust clearer data sets were now in place.

He however said despite the delay in the delivery of the bills, tax payers are still entitled to the usual 15 percent discounted rate if payment is made within 15 days of bill delivery, while others who pay outside the 15 days grace not exceeding 30 calendar days would pay the actual due amount.

He said that failure to do that would attract penalty from the 45th day after bill delivery and rise further afterwards, and that properties in such category would be sealed, while owners would be prosecuted in court in accordance with the law.

“Payment of Land Use Charge is a requirement of law and property tax. Defaulters will have their properties sealed and are liable to be prosecuted in court,” Akinkunmi said.

The Commissioner, also clarified the debate on who should be liable to pay Land Use Charge, stating that by law, the onus falls on land owners/landlords to pay LUC and not the tenants.
He said, “It is the landlords that are expected to pay the Charge.

They can have agreements with their tenants, but from the government’s perspective, it is the landlord that the law recognises in paying the Charge,” he said.

He counseled residents to desist from patronizing touts or any official in a bid to cut corners on the payment of Land Use Charge, just as it urged people to imbibe the culture of willful payment of taxes.

He said the process of payment of the charge has been fully automated by the government; hence residents should stop patronizing touts henceforth in other to avoid paying twice.

“I would like to appeal to all property owners to stop encouraging such habit. The Land Use Charge is totally automated because we have records of all properties in the state. I would encourage all property owners to go through normal procedure of payments to the government. If you go through any other means whether through back door or any other means, such is at your own risk,” Akinkunmi warned.

He said percentage payable based on owner-occupied is 0.0394 percent of the value of the property, while the percentage for industrial, educational, residential properties occupied by owners and third parties is 0.132 percent.

Commercial and residential properties occupied by third parties, according to Akinkunmi would pay 0.394 percent of the value of the property.

While clarifying the methodology adopted in determining the value of a property, the Commissioner said the value of properties vary with location, hence the Ministry has a template for carrying out valuation process.

He said: “There is a Valuation Department in place at the Ministry of Finance and they have the methodology of how they do the calculation of the property. We now use the ratio as the percentage earlier mentioned.”

He also warned against harassment of government officials by residents in the course of carrying out their lawful duties.

He said: “The full wrath of the law will be invoked on any resident who assaults a Lagos State official in this regard. If a resident suspects that a person is impersonating a Lagos State official, please report them to the Office of Finance, Ministry of Finance in Alausa or to the Police.”
source:https://www.facebook.com/followlasg/posts/1103559246332007

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by kaymp: 6:49am On Apr 19, 2016
shocked NA WA OOO

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Okemmuo(m): 6:53am On Apr 19, 2016
Hhmmm
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by realomonile: 6:53am On Apr 19, 2016
grin grin grin

Omo Eko ni mi oo grin grin

1ST & 2ND PICTURES

A plot of land located at Akesan Lagos state Along Lasu iyana iba going for 1.5m negotiable

Direct seller...

Serious buyer should call/whatsapp 08085310359, 09054800167

3RD & 4TH (PICTURES)

Hello Nairalanders, i have this land facing Lasu iba express way all round fenced for sale at rate of 70million Naira Negotiable,

Available document: Family Receipt, survey plan,

Side attract: facing expressway, close to Lagos state university, close to Iba New site estate and alot more

NOTE: This is dry Land...

Good for filling Station, churches, shopping mall,event center,schools and lot more..

Serious Buyer should contact Whatsapp 08085310359 For inspection or call 08033588797

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by betapikin: 6:54am On Apr 19, 2016
sad angry grin
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 19, 2016
lipsrsealed

Government thats asking landowners like us to pay for our properties, did they provide us with even one free bag of cement to build the house?

Negodi.....

11 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Angrymode: 7:00am On Apr 19, 2016
Government that have failed in supply of adequate social amenities has no right to tax of any form. I foresee civil disobedience.

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Abudu2000(m): 7:01am On Apr 19, 2016
hmmm,okay !!!
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Hezzymania(m): 7:04am On Apr 19, 2016
Lagos state LUC need to recruit professional programmers as my payment for 2015 didn't take effect even after sending my receipts to their mail, they should streamline the process.
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Benwems(m): 7:08am On Apr 19, 2016
Nawa o
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by biafran1stson(m): 7:09am On Apr 19, 2016
The valuation department should be manned by estate surveyors and Valuers to ensure adequate valution and administration of the charges.

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by kennyman2000(m): 7:15am On Apr 19, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by anonimi: 7:18am On Apr 19, 2016
Good move by Ambode.
Yeyebrities please note.
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by IamforGod: 7:25am On Apr 19, 2016
Lagos state una charge too much!

Charge this!charge that!

What is the landuse charge for sef?

U buy land finish still dey pay land use charge!

Someone explain to me abeg

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by bigtt76(f): 7:27am On Apr 19, 2016
Hahaha ....sidon there de hask JAMB question ...government go just negodu you tongue

samuelzion:
lipsrsealed

Government thats asking landowners like us to pay for our properties, did they provide us with even one free bag of cement to build the house?

Negodi.....
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by doingood: 7:27am On Apr 19, 2016
Plz how do I start paying. They've not come to meet me. I just moved into the house. Should I contact them or wait till they come. Cos right now I don't think I have any money to pay this useless Govt.

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Generalkorex(m): 7:29am On Apr 19, 2016
Ook
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Nobody: 7:32am On Apr 19, 2016
bigtt76:
Hahaha ....sidon there de hask JAMB question ...government go just negodu you tongue

hehehehe. I am waiting for their bill
*sharpening my cutlass*
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Nobody: 7:32am On Apr 19, 2016
doingood:
Plz how do I start paying. They've not come to meet me. I just moved into the house. Should I contact them or wait till they come. Cos right now I don't think I have any money to pay this useless Govt.
grin
doingood:
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by siegfried99(m): 7:33am On Apr 19, 2016
OK na
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 19, 2016
IamforGod:

Charge this!charge that!

my brother, the matter ehh...but it is well!
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by bigtt76(f): 7:40am On Apr 19, 2016
Correct tongue I de wait till when you don commit and den wan auction your mansion ...na me go buy am grin

samuelzion:

hehehehe. I am waiting for their bill
*sharpening my cutlass*
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Kazrem(m): 7:47am On Apr 19, 2016
One was served to our office yesterday.
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 19, 2016
tongue
bigtt76:
Correct tongue I de wait till when you don commit and den wan auction your mansion ...na me go buy am grin

bigtt76:

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by samsam2019: 8:11am On Apr 19, 2016
samuelzion:
lipsrsealed

Negodi.....
every where in the world you pay for the land you use

It's usually not a lot but you still have to pay

Thanks
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by SOPIGO: 8:18am On Apr 19, 2016
APC IS FRAUD....... IS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR NIGERIAN TO PRACTICE..... THEY ONLY FOCUS ON THEIR ACTS & BILL THAT TAKE MONEY FROM THE CITIZENS ACCOUNT. SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN IN POWERADE THEY HAVEN'T DON ANYTHING MEANIFUL TO BENEFIT THE CITIZENS.... EVERYTHING ABOUT THEY IS HOW TO COLLECT MONEY FROM CITIZENS... WAT A SHAME POLICY FOR A GOVERNMENT THAT DRY HER CITIZENS & CALL IT CHANGE!
A PARTY THAT BEND EXISTING LAW TO CATER FOR THESE FRAUD... A COUNTRY WHERE THE BILLS THAT FAVOR THE COMMONER ARE NOT IMPLIMENTED... A PARTY THAT IS SO SO CORNY THAT EVERYTHING THEY THINK IS TO EXPLORE THEIR CITIZENS. WHEN LAW MAYER COMPLAIN THAT THERE IS NO MONEY BUT THEY ARE BUYING EXOTIC CAR OF 36MILLION PER ONE. WHAT A FAILED NATION NIGERIA

3 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Ximonak: 8:27am On Apr 19, 2016
1. You will buy empty land some times clear plot of pool for even millions

2. Settle omonile 10-20% of the amount for the land

3. You will settle "omoniles youths" when you want to do foundation(if not site will not go smooth)

4. You settle "omonile youths" when you add decking(for storey buildings/duplex)

5. If your street is not tared, you have to donate some trips of sand to fill any gully potions in the street (street laws)

6. When you roof "omonile youths" will come again

7. Landlords will provide water, security, repairs of transformers/poles, drainage, filling/interlock of the streets etc
Minus the amount you spent in building and maintaining your building

Government will just carry themselves with agberows issuing you electronics tax, land use tax, shop tax, stamp duties, income tax, vat tax (multiple taxation and the govt will say they don't have money... God why Nigeria)

No social amenities by govt, nothing to easy the burden by the masses

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2016
Thanks to Lagos State Government on the clarification on who should pay the LUC.

My landlord has been disturbing me about us sharing the LUC and I had bluntly told him it is the landlord's business and not the tenant's. Now he does not answer my greeting whenever I greet him and I know what would follow is quit notice. However, I am ready to move out.

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by pappilo(m): 9:13am On Apr 19, 2016
samsam2019:
every where in the world you pay for the land you use

It's usually not a lot but you still have to pay

Thanks

Liar

Where I live. I dont pay govt to use my land. On purchase of a property, you pay stamp duty and thats the end of it. You only pay a council tax for the provision of essential services like fire service, waste removal, road maintenance, bus services e.t.c.

Leaseholders, usually owners of flats in multiple dwelling buildings with communal areas pay ground rent to the owner of the land.
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by anonimi: 9:17am On Apr 19, 2016
IamforGod:

Charge this!charge that!

It is to provide essential COMMON services to the people and the state is supposed to give part to the LGAs for the purpose of cleaning gutters, clearing road side bush etc
That is how they pay it in those "civilised" oyinbo places we like to run to.
Re: Land Use Charge: Lagos Moves To Seal Properties Of Defaulters … by anonimi: 9:18am On Apr 19, 2016
pappilo:
Liar

Where I live. I dont pay govt to use my land. On purchase of a property, you pay stamp duty and thats the end of it. You only pay a council tax for the provision of essential services like fire service, waste removal, road maintenance, bus services e.t.c.

Leaseholders, usually owners of flats in multiple dwelling buildings with communal areas pay ground rent to the owner of the land.

Since we don't have Council Tax in Nigeria maybe the land use charge is the equivalent.
Just saying.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos State Fire Service Contains Market Fire On Lagos Island. / 12 Units 4bedrooms terrace house For Sale at Ikeja Gra (pix attached) / 4 Bedroom bungalow For Sale In P.H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.