Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities (1232 Views)

NUC Blacklists 57 Universities As ‘illegal’ (SEE LIST) / Zahra - Buhari's Daughter - Lives & Studies In The United Kingdom / Uk No Longer Blacklists Medical Graduates From 9 Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by MrGlobe(m): 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2011
http://chigotoday..com/2011/12/united-kingdom-blacklists-nigerian.html

wahala dey this Nigeria oh. Everything is falling apart
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Ikengawo: 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2011
Anyone that doesn't realize the uk is an enemy to nigerias progress is confused. First airlines now universities, I hope gej retaliates by leaving the worthless commonwealth and taking our african allies with us
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by MrGlobe(m): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
^ sharap. So you think nigerian universities are standard huh? and they are on strike. STFU
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by debosky(m): 5:15pm On Dec 21, 2011
Ikengawo:

Anyone that doesn't realize the uk is an enemy to nigerias progress is confused. First airlines now universities, I hope gej retaliates by leaving the worthless commonwealth and taking our african allies with us

Illiteracy is quite a debilitating disease. If you took two seconds to read the article you would realise that the UK is only blacklisting 9 universities and are doing so based on the advice from the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council that has said the Universities do not meet standards for medical degrees.

So GEJ should leave the commonwealth because the NMDC decided to blacklist some substandard medical schools?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
Most of these schools have had their accreditations for certain courses especially medicine withdrawn at some point by the NUC atleast i know of the igbinedion case.This is a wake up call on the government to invest more in the educational system instead of pursuing subsidy removal.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Lasinoh: 5:39pm On Dec 21, 2011
I will never open any blogsphere on this NL. . .or any other website or messageboard. Too many viruses I tellya. I have been responsible for crashing 3 workstations in my unit. . . for visiting those dorty blogsites. If the story is not printed out for me to read. . . .tough! I will reply just by the contents in the thread title. Here goes:

About time too.
The kinds of schools in Nigeria do not forster brain growth and development. . . only severe neurological impairment and handicap! Thank God for another opportunity for a 'SOUND' education OUTSIDE Nigeria. Na poohsie I for dey sell for Italy and Belgium. I get to dash am out for frrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee every Christmas. Tenk you lord for beta work! tongue
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by 13volts(m): 8:48pm On Dec 21, 2011
I have always maintained that 80% of graduates from the south are wacks. From the blacklisted list of universities not a single one is from the north. we may not be mass producing wacky graduates, but our graduates are genuine.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by realchange: 9:16pm On Dec 21, 2011
According to the General Medical Council of United Kingdom (GMC), Medical graduates from nine universities in Nigeria will no longer be able to obtain licenses to practice in the United Kingdom, following a decision by the body to ban nine higher institutions in Nigeria.

The GMC, a body of independent regulators which registers medical doctors to practise in the UK, took the decision to bar graduates from the nine universities from writing PLAB.
PLAB is the UK exam that enables non-UK Medical graduates to undertake post-graduate medical training in the country.
The affected graduates are those who graduated after December 10, 2010 from A[b]mbrose Ali University, Ebonyi State University, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Nnamdi Azikiwe University, University of Jos, University of Nigeria and the University of Port Harcourt.[/b]
It also applies to those who graduated on or after April 1, 2010 from Igbinedion University College of Health Sciences and the University of Benin.
According to Jason Day of the GMC's press office, the schools were axed because they no longer meet the required standards for practise in the UK.
He added that the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) had also advised that they suspend accreditation of some medical schools in the country.
“The decision only applies to students who graduated from those medical schools after the MDCN suspended their accreditation,” Day said The Educational Sector needs to be given more attention otherwise the decaying infrastructures will be a major catalyst for more brain drain in the country.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by realchange: 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
where are those fighting over changing university of nigeria to odumegwu ojukwu university
the school has already lost its glory. its time to move on. change that school to ojukwu university
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by volasunkan: 1:43am On Dec 22, 2011
it is not unexpected,UNN and uniben should cover their heads in shame,this is what happens when ignorami are in charge of academic affairs.

UNIBEN's greatest export to uk is James Onanaefe IBORI,the man even at the height of his controversial criminal antecedents,the school went on to humour him with the privilege of invitation to deliver a CONVOCATION SPEECH!
This uniben school is so infantile and stupidly-run to the extent that the appointment of the university VC was done in the Oba of Benin's palace based purely on a silly 'benin son of the soil' criteria instead of tested scholarship and administrative/leadership competence.Imagine a university VC appointed on such puerile criteria.

UNN is the most foolish of the first generation unis,imagine the controversial way the school has been doling out professorship apointment.First was Dora Akunyili,who while still holding a political appointment,almost a decade away from scholarly works and the university,got 'promoted' to rank of professor!This same silly school embarrased itself and its alumni by 'dashing' professorship to Mrs Ndi Onyuike-okereke,former NSE-DG,this silly school 'sold' the title to a woman who was never in the employ of the schoolnever lectured or carried out any research work as an academic staff member of the institution and this stupid school never bothered to investigate the authenticity of the Phd being bandied by the woman,events later confirmed that the phd can not be substantiated.Yet,the senate of the school kept mum over this serious issue!!
What Late Prof. Jelili Omotola did in UNILAG did not even come close to this,yet all hell was let loose!Even the UNILAG Korean study centre he facilitated was shut down permanently by the University Senate and his tenure technically ended.The man was seriously dealt with by the University senate!This is how matured Universities are run!Nobody will come to UNILAG,OAU or UI and say he is the 'palace candidate for VC' and anybody will take him serious.

The other schools are just remedial centres,they should just keep quiet,that they ve been busy producing killer-doctors all the while did not escape serious nations like UK.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by PhysicsQED(m): 4:47am On Dec 22, 2011
volasunkan:

it is not unexpected,UNN and uniben should cover their heads in shame,this is what happens when ignorami are in charge of academic affairs.

UNIBEN's greatest export to uk is James Onanaefe IBORI,the man even at the height of his controversial criminal antecedents,the school went on to humour him with the privilege of invitation to deliver a CONVOCATION SPEECH!
This uniben school is so infantile and stupidly-run to the extent that the appointment of the university VC was done in the Oba of Benin's palace based purely on a silly 'benin son of the soil' criteria instead of tested scholarship and administrative/leadership competence.Imagine a university VC appointed on such puerile criteria.

1. Your comment on Uniben is pitifully ironic. Read about the NNDP, Richard Akinjide, the University of Lagos, Professor Eni Njoku (Snr), Professor Saburi Biobaku, and the 1965 vice chancellor crisis in detail and then get back to reality. When you come to terms with what happened there in 1965, maybe you'll refrain from these kind of comments in the future or maybe you'll stick by your words and "hang your head in shame" for Unilag. Last time I checked, 1965 is over 40 years before what you're complaining about (2009).

2. A UNN export to the U.S. is one Dr. Joseph Igietseme, whose research was honored by the CDC at one point. A Uniben export to the U.S. is Dr. Charles Rotimi (Director of the Center for Research on Genomics and Global Health at the National Institutes of Health). You can look him up. Fashola is another Uniben alumnus. Don't know why you forgot him but remembered Ibori.

3. What's ironic about your mention of the invitation of Ibori to deliver a speech at Uniben is that this happened before the "son of the soil" got a chance to be at the helm of that institution. This happened while the acting vice chancellor (who was not a Benin man, but a man from an ethnic group (Itsekiri) from Ibori's state (Delta)) was at the helm, not the current VC: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/ibori-our-convocation-speaker-not-here-uniben-students-staff-and-alumni-tell-acting-vc-kub

4. The appointments for VC of Uniben were always done on an ethnic basis, regardless of whether that was what the Binis or the palace of the Oba of Benin actually wanted. I've covered this elsewhere already: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-458875.896.html#msg8635197

5. Finally, the 1965 incident had far less merit than the 2009 agitation. That's just the truth and any objective person can see that.

(1) (Reply)

A Personal Message To President Jonathan On Fuel Subsidy- Please Pass It On Till / Boko Haram Plans To Strike At Ojukwu's Burial / To Eze Igbo Nairaland Eze Onlytruth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.