Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! (7303 Views)

Abuja Landlord Ejects Buhari Over N20 Million Rent - Newsdairyonline (2012) / We’ll Hold Buhari, APC To “3 Million Jobs A Year” Pledge – NLC, TUC / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by phuckNL: 1:22am On Dec 24, 2011
Okija_juju:

20 liters of petrol go burn all 3 million tyres finish!!

You don't even need that much. Tyres by themselves are used as fuel in for cement kilns. They burn. Ideally those tyres should be recycled.
Knowing naija, some of those tyres may not have been burned sef. "Somebody" might just resale and reinject them into the system
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Nobody: 1:33am On Dec 24, 2011
3 million tyres is a hell of a lot of rubber to destroy safely.

Out of interest, how are tyres destroyed in Nigeria? I hope they're not simply set on fire, tyres in that quantity certainly can't be burnt without serious environmental and health issues. The pall of thick acrid, black smoke won't be limited to Nigeria either, neighbouring countries will also suffer the effects.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by emiye(m): 1:46am On Dec 24, 2011
Destroying 3 million tyres safely is NO JOKE. i am sure of this !
No biggie about the N20 million spent. The biggest challenge is ensuring part of the sub-standard 3 million tyres does not get to the sales market.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Kobojunkie: 1:58am On Dec 24, 2011
Siena:

Out of interest, how are tyres destroyed in Nigeria? I hope they're not simply set on fire, tyres in that quantity certainly can't be burnt without serious environmental and health issues. The pall of thick acrid, black smoke won't be limited to Nigeria either, neighbouring countries will also suffer the effects.

Think SpringField Tire yard from  'The Simpsons'. 
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Nobody: 5:58am On Dec 24, 2011
SON is responsible for all substandard product we have all over Nigeria till date

shoes, clothes, Electronics, name anything, it's substandard.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by gabrieli(m): 7:51am On Dec 24, 2011
Pls, can somebody tell SON that those tyres could be re-processed to produce carbon black which can sold to a lot of print ink coys as pigment. i weep for this country, are there no engineers in SON that could have given them better advice than burning which is detrimental to the environment?
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by dustydee: 9:16am On Dec 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why burn them when they could be recycled? What is the reason for them telling us this anyway?

Paid to pollute our air for nothing? Do you know how many companies would have gained from those tires being recycled? Think how many miles of pavement this could have gone to, instead of being burnt in the way I guess they were.
Tyres can't be recycled-at least for now. It can be used for road patching.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Kobojunkie: 9:27am On Dec 24, 2011
dustydee:

Tyres can't be recycled-at least for now. It can be used for road patching.

Yes, they can and they are recycled across most of the world today. I am not sure where you get your "Tyres can't be recycled" gist from.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Ribaman(m): 10:07am On Dec 24, 2011
Oga Sienna,
Compliments man!
I have misplaced your number. I am a UK resident with a question or two. I am thinking of an Outlander 2004, Automatic, Petrol. What is your considered opinion here?
Thanks,
Riba_man
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by tlops(m): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2011
dont worry there will be alot of Tyre burnings in 2012, you may sign up to burn free tyre when the subsidy is finally jettisoned!
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by fakarglob(m): 10:25am On Dec 24, 2011
I think something is wrong with the way Nigerians do things. SON spending 20M creating black smoke all over the cloud while lots of Nigerians are unemployment. money shld be spend building RECYCLING COMPANY for waste material. God help us.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, they can and they are recycled across most of the world today. I am not sure where you get your "Tyres can't be recycled" gist from.

I think Dusty's probably referring to recycling in Nigeria.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 24, 2011
Riba_man:

Oga Sienna,
Compliments man!
I have misplaced your number. I am a UK resident with a question or two. I am thinking of an Outlander 2004, Automatic, Petrol. What is your considered opinion here?
Thanks,
Riba_man

Hello bro, thanks, hope you're all geared up for the festivities. smiley

Shoot me an email, and I'll give you my number.
siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by adolmax: 1:59pm On Dec 24, 2011
i wish i can get my hands on those tyres and start shredding fast for exportation,i will be happy if anybody can get me to someone in SON so as shred them in their office,that wont bring any pollution or death to the system but improve the economy.for any SON staff intrested should mail me pls tiano_uni@yahoo.com
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Kobojunkie: 4:39pm On Dec 24, 2011
Siena:

I think Dusty's probably referring to recycling in Nigeria.

That is also not true in Nigeria because we have slippers made out of tires selling in some parts of Nigeria still.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That is also not true in Nigeria because we have slippers made out of tires selling in some parts of Nigeria still.

Kobo, I remember those slippers. But that doesn't count as recycled, the rubber is still in the same state it was in its previous life as an automobile tyre. It hasn't undergone any process, bar cutting it into the shape of a sole, and adding straps. It still has the wire reinforcement in it too!
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by Kobojunkie: 6:32pm On Dec 24, 2011
Siena:

Kobo, I remember those slippers. But that doesn't count as recycled, the rubber is still in the same state it was in its previous life as an automobile tyre. It hasn't undergone any process, bar cutting it into the shape of a sole, and adding straps. It still has the wire reinforcement in it too!
That's what recycling is. Reusing the old to make the new. You use old tires to make new slippers, create pavements or even cut them up for use on playgrounds and whatever else. The process is not the point the conversion or finding of new use for the old is what recycling is about. That is recycling.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by sniperwolf(m): 7:28am On Dec 25, 2011
I wonder what SON is doing. There are no Nigerian Standards anymore. Most consumer products don't live up to expectations. I bought a pair of Tiger battery with SON hologram and it didn't work because they were no life in it.
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by oybv101: 7:31am On Dec 25, 2011
sniperwolf:

I wonder what SON is doing. There are no Nigerian Standards anymore. Most consumer products don't live up to expectations. I bought a pair of Tiger battery with SON hologram and it didn't work because they were no life in it.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

dunno which is funnier, you expecting more than 10 minutes from tiger batteries

or those inferior leak on insertion pieces of sheet getting a SON hologram
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by DisGuy: 12:59pm On Dec 28, 2011
sniperwolf:

lol you really believe all those NAFDAC, SON stamps shocked
Re: SON Spent N20 Million Naira To Destroy About 3 Million Tyres! by OEBA: 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2012
go check out www.oebaltd.com they might be of help, they started me off in my recycling business

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Heads Appointed For National Sports Commission, BPE, PTDF / I May Not Complete My Tenure As President – Buhari / Role Of Leadership In Nation Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.