Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? (6878 Views)

What Profession Do You Think,suits An Introverted Guy? / What Profession Do You Find Sexiest? / Which Profession Stands Out In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Maximip(m): 5:24pm On Dec 22, 2011
Yeah, the engineers failed because the government failed, doctors failed, teachers failed, etc. It's a chain reaction
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by ziccoit: 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2011
^^^^ yes the government fails but what we are saying here is despite this fact who is still struggling to achieve result and who de siddon de look?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Maximip(m): 5:35pm On Dec 22, 2011
I agree with ya, while other professions are achieving 40 - 50% of what their counterparts in other parts of the world are doing, our engineers will be at just 15-20%
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by cashful(m): 6:29pm On Dec 22, 2011
POLITICIANS, that's the profession(in this instance) that has failed Nigeria

for those who mentioned engineers, can you give vivid examples of how the failed,
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by tlops(m): 7:53pm On Dec 22, 2011
Nigerians have failed Nigeria
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 22, 2011
For all those people mentionin engineers engineers, let me make u inderstand something, Engineering is very practical and practice makes perfect, and if I may ask who are the engineers working or Julius berger or CCECC, Are they not Nigerians, The project engineer will usually be a foreigner with lots of experience, Is that we don't have Nigerians with even more experience, This is not true, We have a prob of not believing in our selfs, And if we want to blame the failure.  Of say roads and not on the system, Is it not the same JB that constructs roads abroad that last 20yrs, But in Nigeria their roads will not last up to 5 yrs, But who cn blame them, when a govt official is asking for a 40 percent kickback even b4 D̶̲̥̅̊ project commences, whose loss, the problem is not engineering but corruption, I repeat we have some very good Nigerian engineers, I have met some of them b4
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by MissEZ(f): 8:16pm On Dec 22, 2011
In terms of Education, i think teachers and students must share blame. I agree that we have chewing gum teachers in the system these days, but an average student today is more concerned with being popular, going clubbing, having the latest phones and other forms of distraction. For learning to occur, there has to be someone with the knowledge who is willing to teach, and someone who needs knowledge that is willing to learn. The average Nigerian student goes to the University because that is what he/she is supposed to do, and not because they want to do it. Most people don't even know what they want to do with their degrees.

The government also has a role to play in the breakdown of our educational system. Asides from the fact that there is politics even within the system, there is also the issue of the Universities being underfunded, lack of adequate facilities including lecture halls, labs, library and such. I think that we cannot blame the failure of the educational system on Teachers alone, the government and students share blame here too.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2011
It's Engineering and Science for sure, their Impact is not felt at all, I remember during my youth Service, when you ask an engineer where they want to work, it's either Oil coy or Bank. Obviously, most of them chose to study engineering not because of the love for the profession but for the love of money.

Also wondering, do we have Construction code in Nigeria. In the UK, their is a manual called DMRB (design manual for Roads and Bridges), this is the bible of highway Engineers and there is the EUROCODE for structural Engineers. This stuffs are also incorporated into academic curricula in Universities.

I am not sure if we have such manual/codes in Nigeria, even if they do, there is no Strict enforcement of acceptable minimum standards to place those Lebanese and Israeli contractors on a “perform or bust” status with criminal prosecution at stake.

1 Like

Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by assetstrap(m): 8:26pm On Dec 22, 2011
This is a brilliant topic. A lot of peeps have mentioned engineers and i tend to agree. Yes poor governance and corruption doesn't help but i still think there should be a significant number of credible Nigerian engineering firms operating to a high standard but clearly this is not the case. Also our technicians in construction of houses are not up to scratch as someone mentioned earlier. It is common place in naija to come across a house with a huge price tag only to find shoddy finishing in practically every aspect. A friend of mine who built a house in Lagos sometime back had to bring some Polish guys from london to do the finishing after seeing the botched job done previously.  I guess what i'm getting at is that standards of training/teaching of whatever sphere are dropping like a stone in our country.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by hbrednic: 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2011
the judiciary,fix the justice system and all other things will fall in place.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by deandavid(m): 3:43am On Dec 23, 2011
some pple say govt,yes those pple r crazy,bt they r own brodas,uncles nd relatives.govt 4 nt providing d enabling environmnt,yes no light,but what are the electrical engineers doing,or wat r their jobs?cant they invent some 4 nigeria without govt?i use watch some movies of how d developed nation's scientists invent tins,they ll hav their laboratory,their workshop,where they carryout research,tryin 2 invent tins dat ll improve d lives of their pple.even in times of difficulties wen d church nd those in authority,persucuate dem 4 imaginin tins dat seems imposible.these scientist were passionate abt their works,they r nt aftr mney,as a matter of fact,these pple look poor,mad,bt vry intelligent.so lets nt say govt always(even if its tru) bt wat r our professionals discuss in their meetin? How many of them hav a lab,or workshop? Even till nw,we stil have these vry passionate pple in d developed world,a young man dat can hack into any bank, fbi nd their satalite,jst 4 d fun of it,nd nt 2 steal mney.our own na so so wealth nd fame.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by deandavid(m): 4:05am On Dec 23, 2011
i tink d primary school teachers r trying,these days a child in pry 3 or even 2,can read. Me before i sabi read understand i reach secondary school.,walai!so these pry sch teachers r doing their jobs,even wen govt dnt pay dem well,their classrooms r nt condusive or sum even teach under the tree.so teachers(primary o) una pass 4 my eye o.the engineers r waitin 4 govt 2 giv them lite,cnt d electrical engineers develop his own lite generator 4 his own house nd his laboratory or workshop(dat is if they knw they r supose to have) i agree wit d guy dat said judiciary,d lawyers have failed too, NBA as a whole.d only few 1s dat use to work gani(senior advocate of d masses),more recently falana,wat abt d rest lawyers? Do dy nid lite too to work?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:25am On Dec 23, 2011
deandavid:

some pple say govt,yes those pple r crazy,bt they r own brodas,uncles nd relatives.govt 4 nt providing d enabling environmnt,yes no light,but what are the electrical engineers doing,or wat r their jobs?cant they invent some 4 nigeria without govt?i use watch some movies of how d developed nation's scientists invent tins,they ll hav their laboratory,their workshop,where they carryout research,tryin 2 invent tins dat ll improve d lives of their pple.even in times of difficulties wen d church nd those in authority,persucuate dem 4 imaginin tins dat seems imposible.these scientist were passionate abt their works,they r nt aftr mney,as a matter of fact,these pple look poor,mad,bt vry intelligent.so lets nt say govt always(even if its tru) bt wat r our professionals discuss in their meetin? How many of them hav a lab,or workshop? Even till nw,we stil have these vry passionate pple in d developed world,a young man dat can hack into any bank, fbi nd their satalite,jst 4 d fun of it,nd nt 2 steal mney.our own na so so wealth nd fame.

Great points.

hbrednic:

the judiciary,fix the justice system and all other things will fall in place.

You too much guy.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by deandavid(m): 4:39am On Dec 23, 2011
gud tin innoson r producing cars in nigeria,as sumbody said earlier,nd govt stil import cars. Wat has inoson done 4 dat to stop? I believe d r nt doing their work well,they r nt pressing d rite button, i believe majority of us wnt our ecönomy to grow, dy can talk to d govt, or nlc or even d NBA or students,so dat d importatn of cars cn stop. If u stop car importn, r u sure we cn afford inoson cars? bt do u even patronise made in nigeria? We nid to tink nd act, we r nt doing our own home work well.nt jst d govt.talk to d govt,dem no b spirit.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by EagleNest(m): 4:53am On Dec 23, 2011
Based on the topic, I think every profession failed b/c the Nigeria system is crap. A bad system will definitely churn out bad professionals. You cant single out one profession that is not tainted with corruption or ineptitude. All in all, bad goverment/system begats bad people and bad people begats bad professionals. A snake can not give birth to an Eagle!!
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by deandavid(m): 5:52am On Dec 23, 2011
yeah,i agree wit u,general thr is a system failure, 4rm up thr.bt in dis failures sum pple r doing d little dy can,to keep d going going,while some r total failures nd figure heads wit names nd title.enginees number 1 failure,lawyers too, accountatnts, university professors nd dr.these pple jst bear names,they dnt do nofin.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Plutarch: 7:56am On Dec 23, 2011
Nearly all science related discipline with perharps d exculusion of medcine is failing reason is largely our failed system. What u gabbage in is what u gabbage out.

Some pple saying engineers need electricity to perform r just jokers. An engineer more than a century ago invented electricity but what has the engineering graduate reading this post creatively invented. Educatn in Nig needs spiritual,physical n metaphysical cleansing.

Govt need to fund education and improve d quality of manpower(lecturers) in our schools. Trust me many are not supposed to be there. Lecturing positns especially areas like engr,IT,applied sci etc should not be used to solve unemployment,those positions should be thrown open to d best qualified candidates from all over d world
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:03am On Dec 23, 2011
Plutarch:

Some pple saying engineers need electricity to perform r just jokers. An engineer more than a century ago invented electricity but what has the engineering graduate reading this post creatively invented.

You fall my hand yet again embarassed

An engineer invented electricity?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by y2kaustin(m): 9:24am On Dec 23, 2011
police police police (government) ;d ;d cool
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Abeniboy: 12:28pm On Dec 23, 2011
When we view this from anoda perspective, u will discover that the Nigerian Engineers r doing nothing not bec they can't do what they Foreigners r doing in our country. Its all about the govt, they wouldnt allow them, preferring the foreigners to make ways for them to siphon our money. Lets be sincere with ourselves, the leaders of the country r nt responsible.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Plutarch: 1:31pm On Dec 23, 2011
@Mr Ajanlekoko,
Yes,an engineer(may not study engineering as you did) invented d first electricity generating set. I know that u know what i was driving at but u will prefer to pick me up. I know what am talking about just as i presumed you know what u were talkn about in anoda thread where u wrote that "97% of GDP is from oil".
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by juman(m): 1:57pm On Dec 23, 2011
Politicians. They destroyed the country.

Nigeria will be seperated. Surely.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 2:09pm On Dec 23, 2011
I'll just like the NSE redesign the ancient pepper grinding/blending machine used in rural areas

that big trunk-like one usually green or blue with a cable running across, surely that wont need govt input!
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:45pm On Dec 23, 2011
Dis Guy:

I'll just like the NSE redesign the ancient pepper grinding/blending machine used in rural areas

that big trunk-like one usually green or blue with a cable running across, surely that wont need govt input!

Redesign it how, and why?
That machine is not out of date. It has the same essential parts: the grinding plates, the feeder vat, and the electric motor. Remake it anywhere and it would still look the same. Maybe you're looking at your kitchen blender, which is meant to chop a few pieces of pepper. The principle is the same, the motor is just smaller.
Ever thought about why power generating sets look the same everywhere?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2011
Plutarch:

@Mr Ajanlekoko,
Yes,an engineer(may not study engineering as you did) invented d first electricity generating set. I know that u know what i was driving at but u will prefer to pick me up. I know what am talking about just as i presumed you know what u were talkn about in anoda thread where u wrote that "97% of GDP is from oil".

Uh uh. That one is different.
Nobody invented electricity. Someone invented the electric motor. But electricity has always been around.
Even if you didn't study engineering, you should have done integrated science in your JSS undecided
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 6:17pm On Dec 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Redesign it how, and why?
That machine is not out of date. It has the same essential parts: the grinding plates, the feeder vat, and the electric motor. Remake it anywhere and it would still look the same. Maybe you're looking at your kitchen blender, which is meant to chop a few pieces of pepper. The principle is the same, the motor is just smaller.
Ever thought about why power generating sets look the same everywhere?

How, why = to make it compact, less ugly, less noisy and safer, smaller can be just as effective and power,
I have seen generating set smaller(compact) than some big one with the same or even more output- generally less noisy too
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 6:30pm On Dec 23, 2011
Dis Guy:

How, why = t0 make it more compact, less ugly, less noisy and safer, smaller can be just as effective and power,
I have seen generating set smaller(compact) than some big one with the same or even more output- generally less noisy too

More compact, hardly likely. The machines are meant to crush large volumes of pepper. There are smaller home grinders with smaller motors available, for home use. The ones in the market are meant to pulp-ify large volumes of pepper, crush sacks of elubo, maize, wheat, and so on.

Less ugly? well, I don't know which machine is a work of beauty, when you strip away the nice packaging/housing. Which by the way carries an additional cost, which isn't practical for Africa.

Smaller and equally effective is a pipe dream. Maybe in the new world when we have loss-less machines and superconductors. The machines you speak up are still governed by the same rules of physics: torque, torsion, speed, etc. Bigger core and more windings = physically bigger machine, as well as more powerful machine, in terms of kilowatts or horsepower. And such machines will typically consume more electrical power in order to generate a larger output in terms of mechanical power.

A good analogy is vehicles. While you have a lot of components that have been shrunk in the automobile engine, the engine block essentially remains the same. A 2.4l and a 3.8l engine can never be the same size.

I do see your point though. However, the machines were not even designed by engineers in the first place. More like technicians and artisans.
Maybe engineers should look at introducing some modern technology (feedback control systems, more electronics in the control as opposed to the mechanical valve that's used to control the grinding speed. But will the target market pay for the enhancements? We are still talking Africa oh.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Plutarch: 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2011
Mr Dog-chasing-fox doing what a typical nigerian trained engineer does best wh is blowing grammar and impressing novice with technical terms. Common coil he no fit wound.lol.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:41pm On Dec 23, 2011
Plutarch:

Mr Dog-chasing-fox doing what a typical nigerian trained engineer does best wh is blowing grammar and impressing novice with technical terms. Common coil he no fit wound.lol.

Abeg go siddon somewhere.
And you are a where-trained what?
There is nothing in the local pepper-grinding machine that you could not have learned about in JSS Intro-tech, if you were paying attention.
I certainly did not learn pepper-grinding machine at University.
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

More compact, hardly likely. The machines are meant to crush large volumes of pepper. There are smaller home grinders with smaller motors available, for home use. The ones in the market are meant to pulp-ify large volumes of pepper, crush sacks of elubo, maize, wheat, and so on.

Less ugly? well, I don't know which machine is a work of beauty, when you strip away the nice packaging/housing. Which by the way carries an additional cost, which isn't practical for Africa.

Smaller and equally effective is a pipe dream. Maybe in the new world when we have loss-less machines and superconductors. The machines you speak up are still governed by the same rules of physics: torque, torsion, speed, etc. Bigger core and more windings = physically bigger machine, as well as more powerful machine, in terms of kilowatts or horsepower. And such machines will typically consume more electrical power in order to generate a larger output in terms of mechanical power.

A good analogy is vehicles. While you have a lot of components that have been shrunk in the automobile engine, the engine block essentially remains the same. A 2.4l and a 3.8l engine can never be the same size.

I do see your point though. However, the machines were not even designed by engineers in the first place. More like technicians and artisans.
Maybe engineers should look at introducing some modern technology (feedback control systems, more electronics in the control as opposed to the mechanical valve that's used to control the grinding speed. But will the target market pay for the enhancements? We are still talking Africa oh.

end of story. we are talking about cost leaders
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by matrixme(m): 12:21am On Dec 24, 2011
I think we have all failed in our little ways at putting one block over another in building a great nation, through compromises and the despair of unfulfiled expectation. Granted the state has failed us at providing expected structures and systems, but here we are, poking each other with prongs of ineficiency. That is so tiring! Couldn't we rather do more with less?
Re: Which Profession Do You Think Has Been Failing In Its Role In Nigeria? by Iolo(m): 2:12am On Dec 24, 2011
deandavid:

i tink d primary school teachers r trying,these days a child in pry 3 or even 2,can read. Me before i sabi read understand i reach secondary school.,walai!so these pry sch teachers r doing their jobs,even wen govt dnt pay dem well,their classrooms r nt condusive or sum even teach under the tree.so teachers(primary o) una pass 4 my eye o.the engineers r waitin 4 govt 2 giv them lite,cnt d electrical engineers develop his own lite generator 4 his own house nd his laboratory or workshop(dat is if they knw they r supose to have) i agree wit d guy dat said judiciary,d lawyers have failed too, NBA as a whole.d only few 1s dat use to work gani(senior advocate of d masses),more recently falana,wat abt d rest lawyers? Do dy nid lite too to work?

if they can read in pry 2 or 3, how come they forget how to write their names at tertiary level. As for education, the primary and secondary educational sectors take most of the blame.

There's no enabling environment for excellence in Nigeria from corruption, mismanagement ang such. No building codes, no structural regulations for the engineers, no constant electricity for programmers to sit all day and up their game. No regulations for the judiaciary, no whistle blowing laws to cover for accountants and everybody else.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BSC OR Pgd.which One Should I Go For After My HND. / Pipeline And Structural Welders Connect Thread / NAFDAC Closes 27 Water Factories Due To Non-compliance With Regulations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.