Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? (10982 Views)

Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy be removed??

No, Never.: 12% (39 votes)
Not Now. Build Refineries first.: 57% (173 votes)
Yes but phased.: 14% (43 votes)
Yes. Now: 15% (48 votes)
This poll has ended

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Which Governor-Elects Are Likely To Be Removed By Tribunals? / Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by PapaBrowne(m): 3:18pm On Dec 22, 2011
Many of us, both those for and against the removal of fuel subsidy have watched the just concluded debate.
The debate was quite enlightening as it enabled us to view the arguments of both the Government and the Labour Unions.
Lots of figures were bandied around and I must admit I have learnt a lot from this debate.

Now, after watching this debate, Do you support the removal of fuel subsidy or are you against it. Please vote.
Feel free to also tell us whether the debate helped in changing your viewpoints and why it did if at all.

Thank you.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by jmaine: 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2011
Yes, but phased . . . . Voted . .
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Mobinga: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
Not Now.

Don't be gullible. The arguments on the show were very weak and unconvincing.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Ejine(m): 4:50pm On Dec 22, 2011
Not yet. Build the refineries first. You can't install a Formula 1 race car engine on a 1953 Volkswagen Beetle with no tyres, can you?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Emperoh(m): 5:14pm On Dec 22, 2011
Can someone tell me, has the price of AGO a.k.a diesel dropped since the removal of subsidy?
How far with the AGO refined in our refineries?

Build refineries and then remove subsidy
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by zeal500: 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2011
No
let our Refineries work first
let us know wht actual figure is involved
let Nnpc start playing there role like other bodies else where in the world
let those so called cabal be made known and jailed if truely the govt have enuf evidence
4me we have lost confidence in these govt and trust,thus they shd work 1st to show there sincerity
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by gaddafe(m): 5:26pm On Dec 22, 2011
The first thing govt need to do now is to remove subsidy. Two, i doubt if they will ever unmask the cabal. From the debate, its obvious the rate of inflation will not be as high as people has earlier expected.
Anyway in order not to type too many words, i strongly go with what Murray Bruce suggested. I hope govt will work towards that line.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by lifestyle1(m): 5:32pm On Dec 22, 2011
If its not going to affect the price of food stuff and cost of transportation you can go ahead and remove it, You can as well increase the take home pay of the workers maybe by some %
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Pharoh: 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2011
I don't think a working refinery easily translates to  cheap fuel so the subsidy should go immediately.Tthe cost of keeping it until the refineries are built outweighs the benefits of any other strategy.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by daphil: 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2011
Let public/private refineries be on ground first.
Second, let the executive and legislative arms of government cut their expenses before coming to the masses to talk subsidy removal. I no dey for baboon dey chop farmer dey work.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by SSaemoenl(m): 5:40pm On Dec 22, 2011
I voted to remove it. but none of those things are our problem. Corruption is our problem OK
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by chakula: 5:42pm On Dec 22, 2011
It has been removed already, what's the meaning of debate for jonathon seek?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Seun(m): 5:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
To those saying, build refineries before removing the subsidy: if we don't have enough money to pay for the subsidy alone without borrowing, where will the money to continue paying the subsidy while also building new enough refineries to support 150m people without foreign/private investment come from?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by twinstaiye(m): 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2011
The poll should simply be YES or NO.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by akinwole21: 5:50pm On Dec 22, 2011
Since we dont trust our leaders and ourselves, 90% of Nigerians will ask the goverment to fix our refinery before making any plan to removal of subsidy
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by talktrue1(m): 5:53pm On Dec 22, 2011
daphil:

Let public/private refineries be on ground first.
Second, let the executive and legislative arms of government cut their expenses before coming to the masses to talk subsidy removal. I no dey for baboon dey chop farmer dey work.

SECONDED

If they can cut down the security votes of the President + 36 governors + 109 senators + 360 Honourable members, it will be more than enough of what we got from removing fuel subsidy
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by kulutempa: 5:56pm On Dec 22, 2011
The fuel subsidy issue is a golden opportunity for Nigerians to hold their government to account.   The government should be told that if the subsidy is to be removed it should be done gradually by say 20% every year with the savings put in a special fund for social services and infrastructure, which will be subject to regular audits by independent auditors.  The government should realise that it takes two to tango and if they want the people to make sacrifices, they too must be willing to make similar sacrifices.   Saying that the savings from the subsidy savings will go into providing "social services" for  the poor is just too vague and open ended.   They should provide specific details as to what these social services are, and how they will be administered by the government, otherwise the labour unions should tell them where to go.    We have for too long been ruled by crooks, and liars and there is no reason to think that the present government is any different.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by TommyEnny(m): 6:01pm On Dec 22, 2011
There are still a lot to be done by d govt. b4 fuel subsidy can be removed. for me its not about removal or no removal of fuel subsidy, its abut trust and from evry indications the law of precedent will prevail. pls help me tell the govt. dat trust is earned. They shuld stop tellin Nigerians to trust them when they'v not done anything to earn it. We are talkin abut using of Kerosine by the aviation industry, tell me wat r u investigating, diversion of imported petroluem product after paying the same subsidy only for it to be resold to neighbouring conutries? is NNPC achieving its set Objectives. Can some one pls tell me wat are they investigating
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Kilode1: 6:01pm On Dec 22, 2011
I call BS on the whole needless drama undecided

A government that cannot police the greedy Oil cabal, can never keep the projected savings from subsidy removal safe.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by warripekin(m): 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2011
Subsidy should be removed now! Studies have shown subsidies benefit the rich more than the poor. Besides, if subsidy goes, private refineries will come. Infact I have one of such in Akwa Ibom pendinding for a long time now. Just like GSM, we most deregulate the petroleum industry.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Rhino5dm: 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2011
I voted YES,NOW to feel the "Fresh Air". cool

Afteral Sambo needs 3 billion Naira for his travelling allowance.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by aljharem3: 6:04pm On Dec 22, 2011
Seun:

To those saying, build refineries before removing the subsidy: if we don't have enough money to pay for the subsidy alone without borrowing, where will the money to continue paying the subsidy while also building new enough refineries to support 150m people without foreign/private investment come from?

A refinery from scratch is estimated the cost of building an oil refinery with a capacity of 400,000 barrels/day at US$4 billion or 600 billion naira with a period of 2 years

http://www.gulfoilandgas.com/webpro1/MAIN/Mainnews.asp?id=2927

Now we know this let me tell you that an average senator in a year is 1.6 billion Naira and we have 106 senator which means
Nigeria pays 106 senators 170 Billion naira

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/nns-news-archive/headlines/nlc-to-jonathan-cut-cost-of-governance

A federal legislator on the average earns about N289million or more than N24million a month

1 billion this the cost of feeding in aso rock

4.2 billion is the cost of uniform and maintaince in aso rock

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-206236.0.html

Don't forget house of reps etc

all this money could be saved to build a refinery seun
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Rhino5dm: 6:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
Oya back your talk with facts or any link to the said "studies". Abi, na market women carry out the studies?

warripekin:

Subsidy should be removed now! Studies have shown subsidies benefit the rich more than the poor. Besides, if subsidy goes, private refineries will come. Infact I have one of such in Akwa Ibom pendinding for a long time now. Just like GSM, we most deregulate the petroleum industry.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Rhino5dm: 6:10pm On Dec 22, 2011
May Allah bless you, Alhaji Harem.

alj_harem:

A refinery from scratch is estimated the cost of building an oil refinery with a capacity of 400,000 barrels/day at US$4 billion or 600 million naira with a period of 2 years

http://www.gulfoilandgas.com/webpro1/MAIN/Mainnews.asp?id=2927

Now we know this let me tell you that an average senator in a year is 1.6 billion Naira and we have 106 senator which means
Nigeria pays 106 senators 170 Billion naira

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/nns-news-archive/headlines/nlc-to-jonathan-cut-cost-of-governance

A federal legislator on the average earns about N289million or more than N24million a month

1 billion this the cost of feeding in aso rock

4.2 billion is the cost of uniform and maintaince in aso rock

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-206236.0.html

Don't forget house of reps etc

all this month could be saved to build a refinery seun

Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by kulutempa: 6:12pm On Dec 22, 2011
The fuel subsidy is like the story of a well fed Baboon  telling a monkey to work harder and eat less.  
Our leaders can't even see the absurdity of the whole thing.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by PapaBrowne(m): 6:13pm On Dec 22, 2011
To those saying Government should build new refineries,I think: Sanusi gave an excellent answer!

If you know any industry Government has built that is currently working properly, please mention. Government would never succeed in running any private enterprise so why should we encourage Government to spend 20Billion Dollars building new refineries.
Asides, where is the money to build new refineries going to come from. It costs over $4Billion dollars to build one 100,000 barrel refinery.
The other fact is that it would take at least 4 years to build a new refinery.

For those that want the current refinery running at full capacity, I think we are not been reasonable enough. Can a sick old man churn out the same quantum of activity like a young energetic man?

Those refineries are dead sick so any more money being churned in there would only serve to futher erode our scarce resources.

The only soltion is to create an enabling environment for private sector investors to build refineries and I think deregulation ala subsidy removal is the way to go!!
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Sacarstic: 6:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
All the enlightening speech  from the Government and Labour representatives were beautiful and i learnt so much from the debate,i could see the sincerity in the eyes and heart of the Govt. representatives (Ngozi,Sanusi & Alison),i know the removal of the subsidy will enable us to have much fund needed for the development of the state but i have always been against it`s removal because i am convinced in my heart that with the lackadaisical attitude of the government towards fighting corruption by bringing those who have brought us to this stage to Justice, removing the subsidy will not solve our problem,the revenue will still go into the pockets of the few at the expense of the common people who will bear the brunt of the subsidy removal. The meeting was an excellent one no doubt but i don`t see the PDP led Government fighting corruption which has remained and still remains the bane of our progress.My position remains "NO SUBSIDY REMOVAL" let the government open the sector for private sector participation so that our refineries can be built,if the Government has the will to confiscate and bring all the looted funds in overseas it will exceed the 1 trillion subsidy fund.How many broken promises?? I don`t trust the Government and i am convinced they will not deliver on any of their promises if the subsidy is removed,the same very few will continue to benefit from it.I foresee Nogozi throwing in the towel and running back to her IMF job very soon,TIME WILL TELL.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by courage89(m): 6:18pm On Dec 22, 2011
PapaBrowne:

To those saying Government should build new refineries,I think: Sanusi gave an excellent answer!

If you know any industry Government has built that is currently working properly, please mention. Government would never succeed in running any private enterprise so why should we encourage Government to spend 20Billion Dollars building new refineries.
Asides, where is the money to build new refineries going to come from. It costs over $4Billion dollars to build one 100,000 barrel refinery.
The other fact is that it would take at least 4 years to build a new refinery.

For those that want the current refinery running at full capacity, I think we are not been reasonable enough. Can a sick old man churn out the same quantum of activity like a young energetic man?

Those refineries are dead sick so any more money being churned in there would only serve to futher erode our scarce resources.

The only soltion is to create an enabling environment for private sector investors to build refineries and I think deregulation ala subsidy removal is the way to go!!

Spot on man.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by koolman: 6:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
I dont know why we are killing ourselves here.
The government is fooling us.
There is nothing like removing subsidy here.
The government simply want to shift the subsidy to the poor masses to bear.
Our greatest problem is the same CABAL/CARTEL that has licence to import fuel.
They will collude with government officials,import minimal quantity they want and sell  at any cost they like since there is no regulation.The will always create artificial scarcity and increase the price.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 6:28pm On Dec 22, 2011
In the past when there was constant fuel scarcity, the subsidy was sustainable (even though ill-adviced, because it is unproductive and an aid to virulent corruption). In current times when fuel is abundant, it has become unsustainable and must be done away with; this is especially so as it has become the vehicle for "ownership" of Nigeria. In every sense, the man on the street is a slave, bought for cheap with N65 per litre, while our "owners" pee freely on us. Not good.

The subsidy must go now. But a lot must be done for the common man to make it acceptable; that said, I can understand if the govt has left its last carrots for last as "concessions", rather than show its whole hand in a time of intense negotiations with labour unions and various stakeholders.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2011
@ beaf, please keep shut and let honest nigerians speak,who do you think you are fooling? angry
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by pheesayor(m): 6:49pm On Dec 22, 2011
Nigerians don't trust this government despite the sincerity, tackle corruption first. NOI, DAM and SLS avoided the corruption part. Tackle corruption and reduce government spending until then NOTHING MUST HAPPEN TO OUR SUBSIDY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Want A SNC?- Read This Full Minutes Of The Famous Aburi Conference. / Farmers/Herdsmen Clashes: Sanni Bello Meets European Union (Photos) / 2023: Dogara Appointed As A Member Of PDP Campaign Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.