Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Kogi Governor Killed Students. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi Governor Killed Students. (2421 Views)

Photos: Yahaya Bello, Kogi Governor-Elect Receives Certificate Of Return / Obasanjo Killed Students’ Unionism, Says Bakare / Kaduna State Governor Killed In Plane Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kogi Governor Killed Students. by babasin(m): 7:51am On Oct 03, 2007
The Guardian learnt that the students were protesting the death of one of their colleagues in an accident in front of the university and had dug up part of the road to act as a speed breaker when the convoy ran into them. Chime was said to have alighted from his car and was talking with some of the students who appeared pacified when, suddenly, some of his security aides in front panicked and started shooting sporadically

Sources said most of the students took to their heels when the shots rang out. However, two of them died from gunshots, while many others were wounded. The governor was quickly spirited out of harm's way.

If we really practice democrazy, this Governor should be made to resign with immediate effect.

when will Nigerians know peace. If they are not killed by Armed Robbers, they killed by their own elected official.

Special Adviser on Media to the Kogi State Governor, Mr. Farouk Adejo, who confirmed the incident however told The Guardian that as at press time, it had been brought under control. He said Governor Idris, who is on lesser Hajj to Saudi Arabia, had been notified of the incident

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article08
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by ogalanya(m): 6:05pm On Oct 03, 2007
why did d students start harrasing vehicles coming from the east?
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by laudate: 6:12pm On Oct 03, 2007
Babasin, I thought your headline was Kogi governor killed students. . . .but the link to the story, gives us a different view.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 6:21pm On Oct 03, 2007
babasin:

If we really practice democrazy, this Governor should be made to resign with immediate effect.

when will Nigerians know peace. If they are not killed by Armed Robbers, they killed by their own elected official.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article08

laudate:

Babasin, I thought your headline was Kogi governor killed students. . . .but the link to the story, gives us a different view.

cheesy  It is called interpretation of news events as seen by the "objective" mind! grin

Thank you Thresa8! cheesy

This babasin of a fellow cracks me up! grin
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 6:41pm On Oct 03, 2007
thresa8:

too many anti-northerners on nairaland. angry

Does it not amaze you?  In my opinion they are more peaceful than the so called "southerners" of christain virtues--even with all the Osama Bin Laden syndrome!   I fear southerners more than notherners--believe it or not.  I can understand what a northerner's probem is.  But a southerner--I am yet to figure that one out.  Have not even been able to break ground to build the foundation for their issues.  Too bad I am one! Franklly, I really do not care either way.  But I do not think is not "anti-nothernism" that is the problem.  It is just sheer self-hatred!  Pity!

A constant quest for something to hate even when you have no reason to. Only because the self-hate has no outlet and is constantly festering. I would rather have a nothern neighbour than a southern one! kiss  That is a shame.  I never met a set of hypocrites that masqueraded our earthly planet than those from southern nigeria.  And boy! Do they make the most noise! shocked  Carry on!
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by iykrion(m): 10:37pm On Oct 03, 2007
thresa8:

too many anti-northerners on nairaland. angry

What a misguided statement from a shallow minded fellow sad

almondjoy:

Does it not amaze you? In my opinion they are more peaceful than the so called "southerners" of christain virtues--even with all the Osama Bin Laden synrome! I fear southerners more than notherners--believe it or not. I can understand what a northernern's probem is. But a southerner--I am yet to figure that one out. Have not even been able to break ground to build the foundation for their issues. Too bad I am one! Franklly, I really do not care either way. But I do not think is not "anti-nothernism" that is the problem. It is just sheer self-hatred! Pity!

A constant quest for something to hate even when you have no reason to. Only because the self-hate has no outlet and is constantly festering. I would rather have a nothern neighbour than a southern one! kiss That is a shame. I never met a set of hypocrites that masqueraded our earthly planet than those from southern nigeria. And boy! Do they make the most noise! shocked Carry on!

Your attempt to surrreptitiously incite members of this forum into unhealthy argument, has been revealed by your weak and illogical write up. You better discuss issues as they are presented. Stop this your behind the scene comments.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 12:52am On Oct 04, 2007
iykrion:

What a misguided statement from a shallow minded fellow sad

Your attempt to surrreptitiously incite members of this forum into unhealthy argument, has been revealed by your weak and illogical write up. You better discuss issues as they are presented. Stop this your behind the scene comments.

You do not need my help for that. The older members of Nairaland have set the good example for tribalistic and separatist sentiments. You are doing a good job on your own. At least, you are an adult, so how can anyone influence you? Are you that gullible? tongue Is that how you found your religion, by following blindly to what others say without questioning?  I am just expressing my findings and observations here.  The issue is that[b] there are just way too many anti-nothernern sentiments and anti-muslim sentiments on this board.[/b]  It is not meant to be incitatory but to see how futile and hateful it is to do so.

As for the issues presented here, as you can see, the Kogi state governor did not kill anyone. wink
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 04, 2007
The governors aides could have just shot in the air.

But people must remember that Easterners are used to Muslim violence and the first thing they did was to react to what they already know is no more news in Muslim Nigeria since no one knew if these were almajiris out to kill Igbos again.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 12:59am On Oct 04, 2007
nwando:

But people must remember that[b] Easterners are used to Muslim violence [/b] and the first thing they did was to react to what they already know is no more news in Muslim Nigeria.

Good! Now 2 students are dead! You happy now? undecided
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Danmasani(m): 1:09am On Oct 04, 2007
I think Babasin made a mistake in the post. But almondjoy has also said some stark truth here!
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Danmasani(m): 1:14am On Oct 04, 2007
nwando:

But people must remember that Easterners are used to Muslim violence and the first thing they did was to react to what they already know is no more news in Muslim Nigeria since no one knew if these were almajiris out to kill Igbos again.

Nwando, I bet you that u have never been to Kogi State. If u had, then you would have known that Kogi state, despite being in the North has predominately Yoruba, Igbira et al people. No "almajiris to kill Ibo man". It amazes me alot when people like you post rubbish on stuff u dont know! sad sad sad

Im waiting for your reply PTH aka Davidylan, I know u cant miss this one! cool cool
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 1:15am On Oct 04, 2007
almondjoy:

The issue is that[b] there are just way too many anti-nothernern sentiments and anti-muslim sentiments on this board.[/b]

The REAL issue is not that there are too many anti-northern/anti-muslim, the question you have failed woefully to address is WHY? Are these sentiments without basis? Can there be smoke without fire? Would the average American be exhibiting "self hate" for expressing anti-muslim sentiments following the events of 9-11 and 7-7?

In the last few weeks there have been two cases of ethno-religious crisis from Kano alone . . . and someone is complaining of anti-norther/anti-muslim sentiments?

People and there penchant for playing the ostrich . . . they never cease to amaze me.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 04, 2007
Danmasani:

Nwando, I bet you that u have never been to Kogi State. If u had, then you would have known that Kogi state, despite being in the North has predominately Yoruba, Igbira et al people. No "almajiris to kill Ibo man". It amazes me alot when people like you post rubbish on stuff u don't know! sad sad sad

I'm waiting for your reply PTH aka Davidylan, I know u can't miss this one! cool cool

You expect the average Igbo man to know the difference ?
when places like Jos now have violence too ?
Who can differenciate almajiris in Bauchi from those in Kogi ?
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 1:26am On Oct 04, 2007
almondjoy:

Good! Now 2 students are dead! You happy now? undecided

what a stupid statement.
Who is rejoicing ?

I have family who were killed in in the North,if only they had a gun and used it,they'll be alive today.
These students were I understand a large group.
My aunts and uncles who survived Kaduna and Kano saw large groups of young men heading towards them.

If Muslims stopped killing easterners,things like this would be rare because so far their attackers have been large groups of young men.

Now leave me alone !
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 1:36am On Oct 04, 2007
Danmasani:

Nwando, I bet you that u have never been to Kogi State. If u had, then you would have known that Kogi state, despite being in the North has predominately Yoruba, Igbira et al people. No "almajiris to kill Ibo man". It amazes me alot when people like you post rubbish on stuff u don't know! sad sad sad

I'm waiting for your reply PTH aka Davidylan, I know u can't miss this one! cool cool

You spoke too soon.

nwando:

You expect the average Igbo man to know the difference ?
when places like Jos now have violence too ?
Who can differenciate almajiris in Bauchi from those in Kogi ?

The world does not revolve around the "Igbo" experience you know.

davidylan:

The REAL issue is not that there are too many anti-northern/anti-muslim, the question you have failed woefully to address is WHY? Are these sentiments without basis? Can there be smoke without fire? Would the average American be exhibiting "self hate" for expressing anti-muslim sentiments following the events of 9-11 and 7-7?

In the last few weeks there have been two cases of ethno-religious crisis from Kano alone . . . and someone is complaining of anti-norther/anti-muslim sentiments?

People and there penchant for playing the ostrich . . . they never cease to amaze me.

Davidylan. Nice to meet you BTW. So where does it stop? violence for violence? You must understand that these problems are not based on religion but lawlessness. Is Nigeria the only country with 2000 religions? undecided You have to address the real issues please and stop going off on a tangent. These ethno-religious crises as you call them are signs and symtoms of a lawless nation where certain individuals take to the streets and destroy lives and property because they can get away with such acts. It has nothing to do with religion or tribe. People use those as excuses to vandalize the nation. Whom do you blame David? undecided

1 Like

Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 04, 2007
almondjoy:

The world does not revolve around the "Igbo" experience you know.

Does that mean we should sweep the northern violence against igbos under the carpet? If this is the typical muslim/northern way of thinking then i'm not surprised at the government's seeming reluctance to punish the offenders.

almondjoy:

Davidylan. Nice to meet you BTW. So where does it stop? violence for violence?

No, it stops when people like you remove your heads from the sands of denial and stop playing musical chairs with trhe truth. When so-called religious and political leaders in the north begin to actively speak out and act against the violence in the north, when governors do more than just pay condolence visits to the victims and take steps towards making sure the culprits are caught and dealt with, when muslims stop trying to portray religious violence as the result of lawlessness then and only then will the violence stop!

almondjoy:

You must understand that these problems are not based on religion but lawlessness. Is Nigeria the only country with 2000 religions?

1. Is the north the only region where lawlessness exists? Is there no lawlessness in Ibadan or Lagos or are there saints living there? What is the singular denominating factor in violence that we see in Iran, Palestine, Lebanon, Kano, Sudan e.t.c. - You guessed it - ISLAM!!! Until you stop trying to blind urself to the truth we will remain in this vicious cycle of violence.

You ask if Nigeria is the only country with 2000 religions and i ask - how many other religions are killing their neighbors in Nigeria? You guessed it - ISLAM is the only one. Sango worshippers, Ogun priests, Obatala faithfuls and christians dont run around killing muslims!! Get your facts right!

almondjoy:

undecided You have to address the real issues please and stop going off on a tangent.

And pray what are the REAL issues? Another smokescreen for the real fact that islam is a religion founded and perpetuated by violence?

almondjoy:

These ethno-religious crises as you call them are signs and symtoms of a lawless nation where certain individuals take to the streets and destroy lives and property because they can get away with such acts.

and may i ask why these "acts of lawlessness" are only restricted to the north and predominantly muslim nations? Do we have saints living in Ogun state?

almondjoy:

It has nothing to do with religion or tribe.

Continue decieving urself.

almondjoy:

People use those as excuses to vandalize the nation.

It is people like you who are always seeking to blame every act on violence on everything but the real perpetrators. Remind me how many of those almajiris are standing trial for killing their christian and igbo neighbours?

almondjoy:

Whom do you blame David? undecided

I blame you and your ilk who allow problems like this to fester no thanks to your almost fervent determination to dig up a bottomless pit of excuses for your fraudulent and violent religion.
Tomorrow another muslim will be here to tell us that those responsible for the violence are not really muslims. Keep going until you all run out of excuses.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 2:36am On Oct 04, 2007
Huh! Will be right back davidylan. I have to sleep this one over. shocked
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 2:40am On Oct 04, 2007
davidylan:

Does that mean we should sweep the northern violence against igbos under the carpet? If this is the typical muslim/northern way of thinking then i'm not surprised at the government's seeming reluctance to punish the offenders.

No, it stops when people like you remove your heads from the sands of denial and stop playing musical chairs with trhe truth. When so-called religious and political leaders in the north begin to actively speak out and act against the violence in the north, when governors do more than just pay condolence visits to the victims and take steps towards making sure the culprits are caught and dealt with, when muslims stop trying to portray religious violence as the result of lawlessness then and only then will the violence stop!

1. Is the north the only region where lawlessness exists? Is there no lawlessness in Ibadan or Lagos or are there saints living there? What is the singular denominating factor in violence that we see in Iran, Palestine, Lebanon, Kano, Sudan e.t.c. - You guessed it - ISLAM!!! Until you stop trying to blind yourself to the truth we will remain in this vicious cycle of violence.

You ask if Nigeria is the only country with 2000 religions and i ask - how many other religions are killing their neighbors in Nigeria? You guessed it - ISLAM is the only one. Sango worshippers, Ogun priests, Obatala faithfuls and christians don't run around killing muslims!! Get your facts right!

And pray what are the REAL issues? Another smokescreen for the real fact that islam is a religion founded and perpetuated by violence?

and may i ask why these "acts of lawlessness" are only restricted to the north and predominantly muslim nations? Do we have saints living in Ogun state?

Continue decieving yourself.

It is people like you who are always seeking to blame every act on violence on everything but the real perpetrators. Remind me how many of those almajiris are standing trial for killing their christian and igbo neighbours?

I blame you and your ilk who allow problems like this to fester no thanks to your almost fervent determination to dig up a bottomless pit of excuses for your fraudulent and violent religion. Tomorrow another muslim will be here to tell us that those responsible for the violence are not really muslims. Keep going until you all run out of excuses.

Gosh!  You actually wrote all this? shocked  I never! cry Well, I guess I just have to go and bury my head in the sand even deeper because it is more peaceful down there.  Keep fighting and let me know how it all turns out, Cheers!

nwando:

what a stupid statement.
Who is rejoicing ?

I have family who were killed in in the North,if only they had a gun and used it,they'll be alive today.
These students were I understand a large group.
My aunts and uncles who survived Kaduna and Kano saw large groups of young men heading towards them.

If Muslims stopped killing easterners,things like this would be rare because so far their attackers have been large groups of young men.

Now leave me alone !

I think I upset her. I also have family in the north and south. My family members were mostly killed by armed robbers in the south not in the north. Could it be because of their religion too? embarassed  I still love you though. tongue
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 2:49am On Oct 04, 2007
Something tells me Nwando is +Osisi. Na wa o, obantalapipi's mighty hands have reached u again?  grin

almondjoy:

Gosh!  You actually wrote all this? shocked  I never! cry Well, I guess I just have to go and bury my head in the sand even deeper because it is more peaceful down there.  Keep fighting and let me know how it all turns out, Cheers!

Bury it deeper dear, it allows you and your ilk to pretend that all is well when mountains are collapsing all around you. We all know those who are fighting. . . keep digging up more excuses for them.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by ono(m): 8:17am On Oct 04, 2007
I've come to the conclusion that religious issues will forever be with us. We can discuss them for as long as we want. They will always be here with us. Much as we cry, lash out, correct and accuse extremists of all the religious atrocities in the world and stuff like that, I have observed that all these had minimal or no impact on the way these people think and behave. So, why waste precious time on them in the first place?

If there's anything you can do to avoid these group of people, or if there's a way to prevent them from causing any harm to you where ever you are, then follow that path and live.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by iykrion(m): 9:12am On Oct 04, 2007
almondjoy:

You do not need my help for that. The older members of Nairaland have set the good example for tribalistic and separatist sentiments.

And you call that a good example? Will I be wrong to understand that you are one of the older members of Nairaland? Therefore, you equally championed the cause of trabalistic and separatist sentiments, overtly or covertly? Has the idea done us any good? sad

almondjoy:

You are doing a good job on your own. At least, you are an adult, so how can anyone influence you?  

Your expression of agreement here ('doing a good job on your own') I guess, is not supported by real conviction. I stand to be corrected to say that you are feigning what you are really not.

almondjoy:

Are you that gullible? tongue Is that how you found your religion, by following blindly to what others say without questioning?  

Gullibility? Nope! That's why I was able to point out your stealthy and sinister moves, typical of bigots and promoters of ethnocentrism. I will never be tied down by doctrines (let alone religious), it is a stylemark of fanatics.

almondjoy:

I am just expressing my findings and observations here.  The issue is that[b] there are just way too many anti-nothernern sentiments and anti-muslim sentiments on this board.[/b]  It is not meant to be incitatory but to see how futile and hateful it is to do so.  

What has that got to do with a Governor's aids shooting at rampageous mob? If you truely know that you are not being incitatory, why bring up the North/South dichotomy?. Did you not read the news? In as much as I want to agree that the shootings were marks of irresponsibility and wickedness, by the aids or whosoever authorized such, I will not fail to say that, students should maintain lawful ways of clamour. Digging up a portion of a federal road is certainly not to be considered as one of the ways.

almondjoy:

As for the issues presented here, as you can see, the Kogi state governor did not kill anyone. wink  

Where did you get the assertion from? You now see why I said you should stop your behind the scene comments? Please, stick to issues in the discourse - A case of a Governor's aids shooting at rampaging students.

Finally, Kogi State University is not populated by the northerners alone. There are other tribes equally. Ours should be a generation of peace and reconciliation, not that of discordance.
Cheers.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by laudate: 12:12pm On Oct 04, 2007
Danmasani:

Ah, thank you o!! grin At long last, someone who knows more about what goes on in an actual location, instead of jumping on the bandwagon, to generalise about things based on hearsay.

Kogi state is a mini-Nigeria composed of Igala people, Igbirra (i.e. Ebira), Nupe, Okun, Ibaji (mixed Igbo & Igala tribe), Fulani (who are in the minority), etc. In fact, one of the longest borders that Kogi shares with its' neighbours, is the southern border which it shares with Anambra and Enugu state. Going from Ankpa in Kogi, to Nsukka in Enugu state is a journey of less than two hours. If the proposed new road linking Abuja to Nsukka is done, that road is expected to go through Ankpa and cut down the travelling time from the East to Abuja, to not more than three hours.  cheesy The state is quite large, and you can spend 8 hours on the road, and yet you are still driving within the borders of Kogi.

Lokoja the capital, is one of the most peaceful places I have ever lived in. I spent most of my holidays there, while I was in school. Yet, someone is coming here to insinuate that almajiris in Kogi are responsible for the killing of students. Nothing wey person no go see for here! angry When I say the North is a widely diverse place, people ignore that fact and would rather latch on to rumour. Afterall, if almajiris killed southerners in Kano, in their own thinking - the same thing must happen in Lokoja. How juvenile.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by laudate: 12:19pm On Oct 04, 2007
nwando:

The report says that they were students of Kogi state university. How many almajiris that you know, attend university? And now that the aides of an Eastern governor have shot & killed two students, please what should be the next step to resolve this issue? Because I know if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was a Kogi governor whose aides shot two students in a South-eastern university, the reactions on this thread would have been far different, from what it is now.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 8:05pm On Oct 04, 2007
iykrion:

And you call that a good example? Will I be wrong to understand that you are one of the older members of Nairaland? Therefore, you equally championed the cause of trabalistic and separatist sentiments, overtly or covertly? Has the idea done us any good? sad

Your expression of agreement here ('doing a good job on your own') I guess, is not supported by real conviction. I stand to be corrected to say that you are feigning what you are really not.

Gullibility? Nope! That's why I was able to point out your stealthy and sinister moves, typical of bigots and promoters of ethnocentrism. I will never be tied down by doctrines (let alone religious), it is a stylemark of fanatics.

What has that got to do with a Governor's aids shooting at rampageous mob? If you truely know that you are not being incitatory, why bring up the North/South dichotomy?. Did you not read the news? In as much as I want to agree that the shootings were marks of irresponsibility and wickedness, by the aids or whosoever authorized such, I will not fail to say that, students should maintain lawful ways of clamour. Digging up a portion of a federal road is certainly not to be considered as one of the ways.

Where did you get the assertion from? You now see why I said you should stop your behind the scene comments? Please, stick to issues in the discourse - A case of a Governor's aids shooting at rampaging students.

Finally, Kogi State University is not populated by the northerners alone. There are other tribes equally. Ours should be a generation of peace and reconciliation, not that of discordance.
Cheers.

Thank you for response.

1. No, it is not a good idea to fester tribal and hateful sentiments.  I was only trying to show that it is very prevalent with the older Nairaland members, which I find offensive. That is why I prefer to dialogue with refreshing new ones--like you. wink

2. I am not feigning what I am not.  I am all for seeing Nigeria as one not as separate entities like most call for.  I am neither for this side or that side and prefer to be Neutral.  My preference of mentioning having northerners as neighbours if because I have had more peace in my life than having southern neighbours.  Just to prove that  we all have our issues in Nigeria and no particular region or tribe is "ideal" to deal with. We just have to tolerate eachother and work with our strengths not our weaknesses.

3. My moves as you call them are neither "stealthy" nor "sinister".  I equivocally wrote my entries without "senile" ambivalence.  I did not bring up the topic of "anti Northern  sentiments on this thread, Thresa8 did.  I only responded to her comments.  Any problem with that? undecided

4. My response to the Kogi state governor "killing" 2 students as posted by "babasin" was just a humoruos entry to bring us back to the journalistic blunder perpertrated by "babasin".  It was just a light-hearted remark to steer this topic back to its  ultimate focal point of "tribalism" of course.  As always, everything ends as a "tribal" affair.

5. I do not condone any form of lawlessness anywhere in the world.  The students should not have posed as "marauders" to protest whatever their concerns were  Mounting road blocks in Nigeria is tantamount to the way bandits operated in Nigeria and all you can get is a "shoot to kill" kind of treatment as you can see, 2 of the students are dead--for no reason at all.

6. At least we can both agree that lawlessness is the classic hallmark of "fanatism".  It has nothing to do with any religion or tribe. Thank the lucky stars we can agree on that one principle.  I agree that we should have "generations of peace and reconciliation not discordance". 

I really do not care about the religio-econo-socio-economic-political make-up of Kogi state. It can be populated by "martians" for all I care. They are all Nigerians and I choose to see it only as that.  People move around frequently in Nigeria and you can never tell what is what anymore.  That is why we should always be "our brothers' keepers", since you never know who is riding in the next vehicle on the backroads of Nigeria.  Might just be your wife, brother, aunt or nephew.

I bet my last farthing--that with the mass exodus of "aje butter" children and families out of Nigeria, that 50% of the Nigerian population are not even Nigerians but Chadians, Togolese and people from the Republic of Benin.  If they have decided to make Nigeria "home" then they are Nigerians.  I will welcome them with open arms.  Who knows where our ancestors came from? undecided I will join you on that one.  BTW--I like you! smiley  I wish more Nairalanders were like you. Cheers!
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by iykrion(m): 10:04pm On Oct 04, 2007
@almondjoy,
That's the spirit man! We must inculcate love into one another if we must forge ahead. I am really pleased reading your post. Keep it up. Naija na our own.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 10:35pm On Oct 04, 2007
iykrion:

@almondjoy,
That's the spirit man! We must inculcate love into one another if we must forge ahead. I am really pleased reading your post. Keep it up. Naija na our own.

Hi five--buddy! wink
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2007
laudate:

The report says that they were students of Kogi state university. How many almajiris that you know, attend university? And now that the aides of an Eastern governor have shot & killed two students, please what should be the next step to resolve this issue? Because I know if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was a Kogi governor whose aides shot two students in a South-eastern university, the reactions on this thread would have been far different, from what it is now.

Were they carrying placards that read students?
The reports came after the fact,remember.

I still maintain,the aides should have shot in the air to scare the mob.
This is a sad story but in a country where armed robbers and area boys,almajiris,bakassi touts have operated as large group of young men approaching innocent citizens,we can't say the reaction was all that bizarre.

And whether you believe it or not,an Easterner in a predominantly muslim area witha gun in his glove compartment may do the same out of fear.
I might.
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by laudate: 1:32pm On Oct 06, 2007
nwando:

Were they carrying placards that read students?
The reports came after the fact,remember.

I still maintain,the aides should have shot in the air to scare the mob.
This is a sad story but in a country where armed robbers and area boys,almajiris,bakassi touts have operated as large group of young men approaching innocent citizens,we can't say the reaction was all that bizarre.

And whether you believe it or not,an Easterner in a predominantly muslim area witha gun in his glove compartment may do the same out of fear.
I might.

Read that report again. It said that the 'Eastern' governor Chime, had already come down and was adressing the students! So obviously he knew and his aides also knew that they were university students, before they decided to shoot. Again I ask you, "how many almajiris that you know, attend university?" Was there anything in the students demeanour, dressing or attitude that gave them away as almajiris?

And people have told you that Kogi is NOT a predominantly muslim area, or state. So where did you get this idea that they were in a predominintly muslim area??
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2007
And how can anyone tell they were students?  Have you not heard of cultists and "occasional" visitors without matriculation numbers hang around students just to feel like students?  The fact that the "governor" came down and addressed the "mob" is not a clear identifying mark to let us know they are real students.  No ID badges-which can be faked mark you.

My point?  When there is a total breakdown of law and order in any country and anarchy sets in--anything is possible.  Any excuse can be used to vent out frustrations and you know the rest of the story.

How can a whole governor of a state come down from his vehicle and start engaging "students" in conversations by the road side? In Nigeria of all places?
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by laudate: 5:37pm On Oct 06, 2007
almondjoy:

And how can anyone tell they were students?  Have you not heard of cultists and "occasional" visitors without matriculation numbers hang around students just to feel like students?  The fact that the "governor" came down and addressed the "mob" is not a clear identifying mark to let us know they are real students.  No ID badges-which can be faked mark you.

My point?  When there is a total breakdown of law and order in any country and anarchy sets in--anything is possible.  Any excuse can be used to vent out frustrations and you know the rest of the story.

How can a whole governor of a state come down from his vehicle and start engaging "students" in conversations by the road side? In Nigeria of all places?

Did you actually read that report before posting your comments?? Or is there anything in that report that suggests they were not students? undecided

And what do you mean by 'how can a whole governor of a state come down from his vehicle and start engaging "students" in conversations by the road side? In Nigeria of all places?'
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by almondjoy(f): 5:42pm On Oct 06, 2007
laudate:

Did you actually read that report before posting your comments?? Or is there anything in that report that suggests they were not students? undecided

And what do you mean by how can a whole governor of a state come down from his vehicle and start engaging "students" in conversations by the road side? In Nigeria of all places?

Did you attend University in Nigeria? undecided Let me tell you. Most of the time there were armed robbers posing as student in the campuses not to talk of on the highways. When I was there, we did not mount "road blocks" on the highways like bandits. We had reps of "Student Unions" delegated to take our concerns through the appropraite channels.

Does it seem normal to you that student mount road blocks to confront any vehicle passing to protest the death of their fellow "student"? Or whole governor stands by the road side to dialogue with potential armed robbers on the freeway? Or the so called Mopols were conveniently absent from the whole uprising?

My point is that there is a way to handle things even if you live in the Jungle of Africa. Now see the result. Did anyone win here Laudate?
Re: Kogi Governor Killed Students. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 06, 2007
almondjoy:

Did you attend University in Nigeria? undecided Let me tell you. Most of the time there were armed robbers posing as student in the campuses not to talk of on the highways. When I was there, we did not mount "road blocks" on the highways like bandits. We had reps of "Student Unions" delegated to take our concerns through the appropraite channels.

Does it seem normal to you that student mount road blocks to confront any vehicle passing to protest the death of their fellow "student"? Or whole governor stands by the road side to dialogue with potential armed robbers on the freeway? Or the so called Mopols were conveniently absent from the whole uprising?

My point is that there is a way to handle things even if you live in the Jungle of Africa. Now see the result. Did anyone win here Laudate?
u
Errm errr what Nigerian university did you attend? You must have missed a lot if you never had an opportunity to join the tyre burning mob of students mounting roadblocks, chasing policemen and beating school officials to protest the death of a colleague.
I tell ya it was a lot of fun. tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Augustus Aikhomu Is Dead / Maga Must Pay You..........Funny Yahoo Guy picture / Breaking News Image Of Nigeria Compare To Other OIL Countries Pictures!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.