Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan (2911 Views)

Tweet:nigerians Remind Fani Kayode What He Said About Goodluck Jonathan Years BK / See Challenges About Goodluck Jonathan Fires Back; Replies President Buhari / See What The Almajiris In Nigeria Said About Goodluck Jonathan (READ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 6:17pm On Dec 26, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan has not performed well in his 22 months in office. And rather than grow into the position, he seems to be getting worse with each passing day. Since his inauguration in May this year, practically everything about Nigeria has gotten worse. Bombings and religious violence have become an almost daily affair, electricity supply is as unreliable as ever, and the government is bigger and more useless than it's ever been.

The proposed 2012 budget doesn't hold much hope for the future either. The only significant reform it contains is the removal of petrol subsidy which will surely lead to untold economic difficulties for the ordinary people. Subsidy aside, there are no plans to reduce wasteful spending or the size of government. In fact, the budget is even more bloated than last year's with an amazing 72% being earmarked for recurrent spending despite the removal of subsidy.

What makes things even worse is that Jonathan is only just beginning his term. There will be no new elections until 2015, and it is likely that things will continue moving in this direction for the next three years.

So the question I ask Nairalanders is this: What do we do to retrieve the situation. How do we stop Mr. President from further damaging the country before his term runs out? How can we help him to serve us better. If it comes to it, what is the best way to get rid of him? And who do we replace him with?

Post your ideas ITT.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 7:25pm On Dec 26, 2011
One big problem we're facing is that even if we were able to get rid of GEJ, there are no obvious candidates to replace him.

According to the constitution, Namadi Sambo would be next in line if the president were to die, resign, be removed by the senate or be otherwise unable to perform his duties. But there is very little to suggest that Sambo would be an improvement on Jonathan. So far, his political career has been just as unimpressive as GEJ's was at this stage. He has been fully involved in all the decisions that have brought us to the present situation and there is little that indicates that there would be any significant change of direction were he to become president. In addition, he is a product of the same PDP system that throws up incompetent candidates and elevates them to high office.

The next in line after Sambo is the senate president David Mark. Anyone who's looked at my posting history would know that I have serious problems with this man. Under his leadership the senate has become a giant, useless, parasite that consumes huge amounts of money and resources and gives next to nothing in return. The last senate session famously failed to pass the the petroleum industry bill as well as dozens of other critically important bills which could have made things a little better for Nigerians. And while the National Assembly couldn't find time to amend the constitution to allow states to control the electricity they generate, thus reducing the power problem, they were able to amend it to protect their jumbo salaries. While the blame for all this is shared among all legislators, David Mark more than any individual carries the bulk of the responsibility as Senate President. I haven't even mentioned his many worrisome public statements and his habit of turning off the microphone anytime a someone says something he disagrees with on the senate floor. David Mark is the last person I'd like to see in Aso Rock

That only leaves Aminu Tambuwal who incidentally is the only senior government official that I have any confidence in. I'll admit to not knowing that much about him, but based on his utterances and actions since becoming speaker of the house, I can at least tell that he is not ret@rded, which is a very rare quality in Abuja nowadays. In addition, he hasn't shown the kind of disregard for democratic principles that David Mark is known for. However, him being third in line makes him unlikely to become president.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 26, 2011
gej is a burden we must live with sad sad sad

the only thing we can do is curse obj and hope he goes straight to hell for deliberately imposing a lameduck duo on nigeria.

david mark seems to be seriously angling for 2015, which bodes even worse.

we can only hope for one thing - that this administration is a lesson to nigerians about the dangers of allowing sentiment to overcome common sense

it may alos serve to clear the funk about how success is about God's blessing and not hard work , another nigerian fable that clogs rational thought

there was nothing hiden about gej's incompetence - maybe the common man will know better next time around.

maybe the next time around the uneducated masses will not have to go through 4 years of bs to understand that electing leaders is a serious job and no one to be left to mindless sentiment

i somehow doubt it though. gej's pr machine is hard at work passing the failures onto
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Dec 26, 2011
It will probably make more sense for the Nigerian people to take more charge of the running of their country than they previously have.

Plus if the people successfully get Jonathan and Sambo to both step down, then Mark David would have to organize an election within 90 days of taking office( I think that is what the constitution stipulates).
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 7:52pm On Dec 26, 2011
Personally I don't think removing Jonathan will solve our problem because those who will replace him are likely to be the same or worse. I think the best strategy is one of obstructionism.

That means we block every thing Jonathan tries to do. We frustrate his every move. The NLC and TUC seem to be doing reasonably well in delaying his subsidy removal plans. If we can do the same thing with all his other harebrained ideas, maybe we can completely tie his hands so that he can't do too much damage before 2015.

The problem with this plan is that the likes of Boko Haram will get a free reign until then. But this is probably inevitable anyway because there's no constitutionally acceptable way to remove Jonathan, Sambo and Mark together. Whatever we do, we'll still be stuck with the spine of the same ineffective PDP government.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 7:53pm On Dec 26, 2011
Or maybe we could recall Jonathan and Sambo. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it's an option.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Rhino5dm: 8:20pm On Dec 26, 2011
Getting rid of GEJ shall pave way to Sambo, whom i think is more dumber and clueless than GEJ. David mark is the worst of all, the most corrupted among the group. So, no hope in sight of any solution from the PDP perspective.

Nigerians have to collectively decide the fate of the nation, after bongling the last april's chance to restore glory and redeem the nation's image.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by NegroNtns(m): 8:28pm On Dec 26, 2011
Evil,

good topic!

One big problem we're facing is that even if we were able to get rid of GEJ, there are no obvious candidates to replace him.

I like oyb's response. We should stop replacing problem with problem. Everyone is blaming the President but really our voice is aggregated in the House of Reps and we must demand action from bottom up. We need to light fire under HoR and create a bottom up accountability and sensitivity.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2011
Evil Brain:

Or maybe we could recall Jonathan and Sambo. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it's an option.

No matter which way, the solution to the Nigerian problem remains the Nigerian people.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by gists: 9:35pm On Dec 26, 2011
oyb:

gej is a burden we must live with sad sad sad

the only thing we can do is curse obj and hope he goes straight to hell for deliberately imposing a lameduck duo on nigeria.

david mark seems to be seriously angling for 2015, which bodes even worse.

we can only hope for one thing - that this administration is a lesson to nigerians about the dangers of allowing sentiment to overcome common sense

it may alos serve to clear the funk about how success is about God's blessing and not hard work , another nigerian fable that clogs rational thought

there was nothing hiden about gej's incompetence - maybe the common man will know better next time around.

maybe the next time around the uneducated masses will not have to go through 4 years of bs to understand that electing leaders is a serious job and no one to be left to mindless sentiment

i somehow doubt it though. gej's pr machine is hard at work passing the failures onto

Not so sure if the people have learnt the lesson from the kind of comments I read by die-hard gej fans. Personally I'm looking toward 2019 (2015 is not likely to be different but I hope I'm wrong) maybe by then our children will be wiser.

As for GEJ not much in my opinion as there are no credible alternatives in the scene. We have made the error, so we have to leave with it.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 26, 2011
we should revert to regional government and parliamenary system.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 10:06pm On Dec 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

No matter which way, the solution to the Nigerian problem remains the Nigerian people.

We could start a recall drive from the grassroots. We can use facebook, twitter and BBM to mobilize people. We can put the petition form online for people to download, print and pass around for signatures.

It's very doable. And even if it fails, it will still put the fear of God in those greedy bästards.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by dustydee: 10:18pm On Dec 26, 2011
It's not even a year and you guys have lost hope already. 3 more years more to go, be patient.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by muyoto: 10:22pm On Dec 26, 2011
dustydee:

It's not even a year and you guys have lost hope already. 3 more years more to go, be patient.

*swallows hard* shocked shocked
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 10:24pm On Dec 26, 2011
muyoto:

*swallows hard* shocked shocked
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On Dec 26, 2011
Evil Brain:

We could start a recall drive from the grassroots. We can use facebook, twitter and BBM to mobilize people. We can put the petition form online for people to download, print and pass around for signatures.

It's very doable. And even if it fails, it will still put the fear of God in those greedy bästards.

If you have a plan . . . . put it forward, let's dissect it and then start somewhere. Honestly, I think the Nigerian people like what they have as is.

I mean from the Sycophants at the local and state levels to those who have taken that mental disorder to the National level. They are all part of the problem as far as I am concerned. And not until we start pushing back hard with whatever we can, can we get people to engage the system even more.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If you have a plan . . . . put it forward, let's dissect it and then start somewhere. Honestly, I think the Nigerian people like what they have as is.

My plan is to attempt to recall Jonathan and Sambo. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that to do so, you have to collect a certain number of signatures on a recall petition to force INEC to hold a referendum. If you can get >50% of the vote in that, then Jonathan ceases to be president. The senate president would become acting president and will have to organize a byelection within 90 days like someone mentioned above.

There's never been a better time to do this. Practically everybody is sick and tired of Jonathan and his party. If we succeed, we could have a new, non-PDP president by the middle of next year. If we fail, at least the politicians will have learnt that the ordinary Nigerians are to be feared and respected.

They will never try to pull a stunt like removing subsidy while spending billions on food and jumbo salaries again.

I'm going to talk to my lawyer friends tomorrow to find out what is needed.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2011
Well, get to work then. When you have something that you can use , and you have information on how to go about it, answer questions on the how, or move forward with the plan, do let us know so we can sign on and get something rolling.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by soloqy: 11:56pm On Dec 26, 2011
Personally I don't think removing Jonathan will solve our problem because those who will replace him are likely to be the same or worse. I think the best strategy is one of obstructionism.

That means we block every thing Jonathan tries to do. We frustrate his every move. The NLC and TUC seem to be doing reasonably well in delaying his subsidy removal plans. If we can do the same thing with all his other harebrained ideas, maybe we can completely tie his hands so that he can't do too much damage before 2015.

The problem with this plan is that the likes of Boko Haram will get a free reign until then. But this is probably inevitable anyway because there's no constitutionally acceptable way to remove Jonathan, Sambo and Mark together. Whatever we do, we'll still be stuck with the spine of the same ineffective PDP government.

Am afraid, you are not making much sense. In your first post, you submit that he hasnt done well in 22 months, then here you say that you dont believe that removing him will solve the problem. Then amazingly, you say that the best thing is 'obstructionism'. In other words, any project, policies that he tries to introduce, whether good or bad, you obstruct in other words ensuring that he doesnt succeed in anything.

I dont get this line of thinking. So if he has some good policies, you would rather obstruct it to make him fail so that by 2015, he would leave without achieving anything?
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 26, 2011
But suppose we were able to do all of this (cumbersome process, as it appears). What is the next step? Do we have a viable opposition? How can we be sure that whoever emerges next won't be worse?
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 12:52am On Dec 27, 2011
HNosegbe:

But suppose we were able to do all of this (cumbersome process, as it appears). What is the next step? Do we have a viable opposition? How can we be sure that whoever emerges next won't be worse?

We don't really need to have a viable opposition. We don't even need a good person to replace Jonathan. All we need is to establish the principle that when the ruling class don't perform well and the people suffer, the people can punish them by kicking them out of office.

Then it won't matter who the president is.Whoever is there will know who his real bosses are and will have no choice but to work for the people who hold the votes. As opposed to serving vested interests in Abuja which is what Jonathan is doing right now.

This is what I was trying to explain to people when I was campaigning against PDP before the election. They haven't done well so we must kick them out one way or the other.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by NegroNtns(m): 1:16am On Dec 27, 2011
My plan is to attempt to recall Jonathan and Sambo. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that to do so, you have to collect a certain number of signatures on a recall petition to force INEC to hold a referendum. If you can get >50% of the vote in that, then Jonathan ceases to be president. The senate president would become acting president and will have to organize a byelection within 90 days like someone mentioned above.

There's never been a better time to do this. Practically everybody is sick and tired of Jonathan and his party. If we succeed, we could have a new, non-PDP president by the middle of next year. If we fail, at least the politicians will have learnt that the ordinary Nigerians are to be feared and respected.

They will never try to pull a stunt like removing subsidy while spending billions on food and jumbo salaries again.

I'm going to talk to my lawyer friends tomorrow to find out what is needed.

Wooo, . . . dude, slow down!!! IF we fail

Kobo, will you for GOD's sake stop encouraging this guy's impulsiveness? You want to get him and a bunch of his supporters killed?
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by NegroNtns(m): 1:19am On Dec 27, 2011
Jonathan may be a dunce when it comes to wiping Boko out but he ain't stupid and definitely not going to be a walk over to kick him out of office with the kind of initiatives you are proposing Evil. You hear me? Come up with a better plan that does not include "if we fail".
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:49am On Dec 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Wooo, . . . dude, slow down!!!  IF we fail  

Kobo, will you for GOD's sake stop encouraging this guy's impulsiveness?   You want to get him and a bunch of his supporters killed?   

*** cough ,cough*** COWARD!!!
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by NegroNtns(m): 1:55am On Dec 27, 2011
ahh, you no serious. . . . grin You want get someone"s pikin slaughtered by sss. Why you no lead the way? grin
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Rhino5dm: 4:46am On Dec 27, 2011
Typical Nigerian line of reasoning. How can we have this kind of thinking line and still desire meaningful change?
I meet alot of people with this type of mentality on the street on daily basis, convincing them is hurculean task. I can fathom why Nigerians prefer dying in silence than speaking out.

Nigerians need to understand that ,they are already living deaths, by refusing to act. Some of the conditions Nigerians are subjected to, is worst than death itself.

Negro_Ntns:

ahh, you no serious. . . . grin You want get someone"s pikin slaughtered by sss. Why you no lead the way? grin
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 4:22pm On Dec 27, 2011
I've been reading through the constitution, particularly sections 143 and 144. It turns out that you can't recall a president. You can impeach and remove a corrupt one and you can get a sick one declared unfit, but the constitution doesn't make allowances for the removal of an incompetent president. You can only recall legislators apparently.

I guess we're stuck with Goodluck for the forseeable future.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 28, 2011
The thing is, suppose we are even able to prevail upon our legislators to kick GEJ out? What would be the result? President Namadi Sambo? Are you kidding me?

Its better for us to continue to use people power to resist this government than to seek elusive means of kicking them out before 2015, IMO. Hopefully we would have learnt our lesson by then.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Depointer1: 6:43am On Dec 29, 2011
Am loving this honestly. Let it flow please, the solution is what we need right now because the deed has already been done. Wonder why should not MAKE THE FRONT PAGE
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 29, 2011
Evil Brain:

Lmao 2015 Ke?! Ol boi, hunger for don kill everybody throway by then now.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by Beaf: 8:06am On Dec 29, 2011
What a funny thread! Its like something that staggered straight out of cuckoo land.
Re: What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan by maclatunji: 8:37am On Dec 29, 2011
Evil Brain:

I've been reading through the constitution, particularly sections 143 and 144. It turns out that you can't recall a president. You can impeach and remove a corrupt one and you can get a sick one declared unfit, but the constitution doesn't make allowances for the removal of an incompetent president. You can only recall legislators apparently.

I guess we're stuck with Goodluck for the forseeable future.

I wonder, we don't run a parliamentary system, so we cannot recall people in Executive positions in government. I say if you want positive change, keep your activism online. Educate people on why many of government's policies are not beneficial to their lives and they shouldn't be accepted. Beaf is in charge of online spying for GEJ. Let him feel the heat. I must warn you though, whatever you do, do not break the law.

Government keeps on coming-out with wacky ideas everyday. It is the duty of the enlightened to educate the un-elightened on these issues.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition / 2015: PDP Elders Move To Stop Jonathan / GMB The Face Of Deception.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.