Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,906 members, 7,828,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? (7655 Views)

Outrageous Books You Won’t Believe Actually Exist / The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy / African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by favouredjb(f): 10:21am On Jan 30, 2012
wow got a lot of insights from this post

@physics,ajanlekoko,sefago ,mbulela,u guys ve read far goshhh!lol,i be thin say i don read,never read an asian novel before
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by paperworth: 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2012
mbulela:

@Myne White, thanks to you i am going to look for a copy of that Tomorrow Died Yesterday by Chimeka Garricks.
I hope i can find a copy at Koko Kalango's Rainbow bookshop. that is the only decent bookshop in the whole of PH.

Paperworth Bookshop is a decent one in PHC. They are located at 187 woji road GRA Phase 2. Endeavour to check them out. And I think Nigerian writers are not doing badly. We could do better but we are getting there. A few favourites, Tomorrow died yesterday by Chimeka Garricks, Purple Hibiscus by Adichie, To St. Patrick by Imasuen, Nights of a creaking bed by Toni Kan and The Thing around your neck by Adichie again. smiley
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by mbulela: 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2012
^
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by Peaceworld(m): 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2012
Bored with contemporary African writing? Need a good novel from an African author? Then look no further, if u'v got a credit card and can buy books online, then check out THE BLACK BOOK's trailer now on Youtube. On sale in Amazon but not yet listed. Believe me, this book will BLOW YOUR MIND,
The link is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1Utp_zGV4
What do y'all think?
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by mbulela: 4:42pm On Feb 10, 2012
could not help plugging this wonderful blog i found.

http://guerillabasement.com
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by Ndipe(m): 1:35am On Mar 04, 2012
SEFAGO:

I read like two unabridged (Journey to the west and Dream of the Red Chamber) but some of them are dull man if you read them unabridge especially romance of the three kingdoms

Coincidentally Dream of the Red Chamber is my favorite, excellent prose, and how it portrays Chinese culture & politics is quite interesting. Also the whole story has a strong message and makes you think. Recommend it if you have time honestly. Books are really long though I guess you gotta have to have a lot of free time or read over a long period.

I am obsessed with Asian culture (Japanese, Chinese, Thai anything) so I spent a lot of time reading their classics. Quite different and refreshing from western ones IMO.

The problem with Nigerian literature is that none of them really have deep meaning even Adichie's books are strictly narrative with no real deep insight on human nature  though she does explore some interesting themes. Achebe was a god in that respect- his book was both cultural while presenting deep and symbolic meaning. Arrow of Gods, Things Fall Apart, No longer at ease all were not just "entertaining reads" but they made you think. His works are just like Dostoevsky meant to shock and make you ponder and wonder.

@ The 17 year old who is reading sidney sheldon- you are pathetic. When you grow up you will ifnd out that romance does not exist  grin

I especially like reading novels that details the clash of cultures, you know, the East meets west novels and how it merges or clashes. Funny, in the white house, there is the East wing section and the west wing, I think. My own take, apart from African novels is Persian novels. I just find it ironic that a very conservative country, Iran, is also the nose job capital of the world.
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by kunyeo(m): 8:09pm On Mar 05, 2012
Yes,i made about N200,000 last year.Hope to make more this year!
Re: Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? by djcrooky(m): 8:15am On Mar 07, 2012
@poster, you have a point but chimamanda write stories worth readin,,,,and I guess she is jƱ‎​§† one of the handful of nigerian writers whose books are worth readin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Read? / Emi(spirit): Lineage Of Gods / The Fixer (A Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.