Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,217 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities (2243 Views)

We’ll Build Resilient Nigerian Cities – President Buhari / Multiple Bomb Blasts In Northern Nigerian City Of Maiduguri Injure Five People / Northern Nigerian Killer Muslims At Work Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 27, 2011
Christians flee Nigerian cities
Tensions rise after church bombings
By LAURA HEATON, London Daily Telegraph December 27, 2011 Hundreds of residents in two restive northern Nigerian cities have fled their homes in fear of more violence after 40 people were killed in a series of Christmas Day bomb attacks on Christian churches.

Groups gathered on Monday at bus and taxi stations to leave Damaturu, which was struck by two blasts in which three people died. The city has been at the centre of clashes between Islamists and authorities in recent days.

In Potiskum, residents fled after 30 Christian-owned shops and the home of a Christian leader were set on fire late on Sunday.

"I can't stay here any longer," a 31-year-old resident of Potiskum said. "It's peaceful today, but it's no guarantee that in the next hours it will remain the same. People have been killed and it could be me next."

The Islamist group Boko Haram, which has ties to al-Qaida and aims to impose Islamic law in Nigeria, claimed responsibility for the Christmas Day bomb attacks in the cities of Madalla, Jos and Damaturu.

It is the second Christmas in a row that it has targeted churches, leading to fears that it could set off a new round of sectarian clashes.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country with 167 million people, is 50.4 per cent Muslim and 48.2 per cent Christian.

"The attack on churches nationalizes the crisis," said Shehu Sani, a rights activist based in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north.

"It will bring hitherto neutral people into the crisis. Christians may want to take revenge on Muslims and this is dangerous for the country."

Richard Oguche, a police spokesman, confirmed that the explosion at St. Theresa's Roman Catholic Church in Madalla - in which at least 35 people died in the bloodiest of the attacks - was caused by a car bomb.

Bloodstains could still be seen outside the church on Monday as a special mass was held in memory of the victims. "I have never cried before," Father Isaac Achi told the congregation of several hundred which included bishops and priests from the region as well as the Vatican's representative to Nigeria. "Yesterday I cried. This morning I cried. But with all of you around today, I will not cry again. Seeing you coming to say this mass, I'm telling you, I will not cry again." John Onaiyekan, the archbishop of Abuja, Nigeria's capital, called for an end to the escalating violence. "It's a national tragedy," he said. "We are all unsecured. It's not only Catholic. Today it's us. Tomorrow we don't know who it will be."

He urged Islamic leaders to take an active role in seeking to end the violence. "Whether we like it or not, this particular crime has been claimed by Boko Haram, who claimed that they are Muslims," he said. "I expect my colleagues in the Islamic community not to just sit back.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Christians+flee+Nigerian+cities/5913233/story.html#ixzz1hkhgKXHT
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2011
If you know any Southern christain who lives up North, encourage them to relocate permanently down South.

We dont know who or where the bomb will go off next. It may just be near your house if you dont leave the North!

You owe yourself a responsibility to stay alive. We love you down South.

Do not allow your life to be used as a test for Nigeria's security or stability.

Come back HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come back to the SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 27, 2011
has it come to dis? If so,i dey go tell those aboki for hausa quaters say time don reach for dem to dey go house! Wat nonsense!
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 27, 2011
Boyloaf:

has it come to dis? If so,i dey go tell those aboki for hausa quaters say time don reach for dem to dey go house! Wat nonsense!

No need for that, because if you do that then there is nothing different between us and these murderers. Dont hurt ur Aboki neighbours!
Just encourage your relatives up North to come back South and where necessary support any process that willl encourage a peaceful dis-integration of Nigeria!!!
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by efisher(m): 5:49pm On Dec 27, 2011
I'm sitting right next to a muslim guy and chatting real nicely and I can't even hate him talk less of doing any harm to him. This issue is beyond muslim vs christian or north vs south. The muslims in the north have more to lose whether they know it or not. This is the reason why every northerner / muslim should rise up to fight the cancer that grows within them.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by AfroBlue(m): 5:53pm On Dec 27, 2011
Put up or shut up

NL

Who will open their homes and feed fleeing Northerners?

Will you pay the school fees for the children of the fleeing Northerners?

Will there be another starvation episode again like the first civil war?

Where are the billionaire pastors that own fleets of jets and all kinds of property?
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by EzeUche(m): 5:54pm On Dec 27, 2011
While the Muslims live in peace in the South?   angry
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 27, 2011
Afro_Blue:

Put up or shut up

NL

Who will open their homes and feed fleeing Northerners?

Will you pay the school fees for the children of the fleeing Northerners?

Will there be another starvation episode again like the first civil war?

Where are the billionaire pastors that own fleets of jets and all kinds of property?

sounds like you are scared of Southerners leaving the Arid North because you know the consequences? you guys will suffer if you dont change your ways and yes these people have relatives in the South or will defintely be able to afford rent in a peaceful South.

If you guys dont change you will soon be isolated and poverty will finish you. Cannibbals!!!! with no shame!
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by AfroBlue(m): 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2011
The only thing I know is that the Crusades of many centuries ago have finally reached Nigeria, and that no NL Southerners has thus far volunteered to either sponsor fleeing Northerners or begin to organize meetings. All h.ell breaking loose and no plans.

mikeansy:

sounds like you are scared of Southerners leaving the Arid North because you know the consequences? you guys will suffer if you dont change your ways and yes these people have relatives in the South or will defintely be able to afford rent in a peaceful South.

If you guys dont change you will soon be isolated and poverty will finish you. Cannibbals!!!! with no shame!

[quote][/quote]
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by tpia5: 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2011
1. we need to address the problem of why there are always southerners waiting to be attacked in the north.

2. southerners in the north should always make sure they build something in the south where they can go to if they're forced to leave?

3. southern states might want to consider having amenities and housing in place to cater for their indigenes who are resident elsewhere and especially the ones living in unstable areas who might arrive home anytime.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by udezue(m): 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2011
@ ezeuche, that's a legitimate question. If left for the South will be made hell on earth for core-northerners.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2011
they no dey tell blind man say rain dey fall
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Jenifa1: 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2011
mikeansy:

If you know any Southern christain who lives up North, encourage them to relocate permanently down South.

don't mind them.
they never learn. in few weeks, they will go back there. wanna bet?

careytommy:

they no dey tell blind man say rain dey fall

the southerners in d north are blind, deaf, dumb and bereft of sensation.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by otokx(m): 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2011
Those who are not from those areas should relocate back to their home states.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by okosodo: 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2011
And let the northerners flee. We will descend on them, enough is enough
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 27, 2011
Why wont the Muslims live in peace in the South?

Did Yorubas tell you they're religiously ignorant like some of the Eastern and Northern Nigerians who cannot tolerate other religions?

Anybody that wants to harm the Muslims in the South will have to deal with the Yoruba tribes(whom are mostly Muslims (54% I think)).
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2011
Afro_Blue:

The only thing I know is that the Crusades of many centuries ago have finally reached Nigeria, and that no NL Southerners has thus far volunteered to either sponsor fleeing Northerners or begin to organize meetings. All h.ell breaking loose and no plans.

Miami FL whoot whoot!!

I've burned so much gas driving around. Will def be in South beach this week, off to show the bikini body.

Delisioso Nigerian restaurants too.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by udezue(m): 10:03pm On Dec 27, 2011
@ Ileke, your Yoruba tribe won't and can't do shyt. U can't even protect yourselves from your fellow muslims in the North when they pounce on your muslims asses so what can u do in the South? To northerners u are useless fake muslims who don't are not allowed to lead prayers @ the mosque. Buncha sillly things. Mchew
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 27, 2011
udezue:

@ Ileke, your Yoruba tribe won't and can't do shyt. U can't even protect yourselves from your fellow muslims in the North when they pounce on your muslims asses so what can u do in the South? To northerners u are useless fake muslims who don't are not allowed to lead prayers @ the mosque. Buncha sillly things. Mchew
Hello dear, how are you, hope you enjoyed your keresimesi.

I supposed you did shoit instead of running back home to the East when they were pouncing your Muslim/Christian azzes.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by udezue(m): 10:26pm On Dec 27, 2011
@Ileke, yeah ekeresimesi was alright and I hope your was good.

Truth is that YoRuba muslims have no business stopping other Southerners from dealing with Northern muslims. Yoruba muslims are as much in danger around northern Muslims as the MB, SE, SS and Yoruba Xtian. Stop deceiving yourselves with this crazy idea that u are untouchable. U were not so untouchable in Jos, Kano, Kaduna and other riot prone places in the North.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by muyoto: 10:30pm On Dec 27, 2011
Its funny how after each attack by BH, we hear reports of Southerners fleeing the North in their ''hundreds, thousands'', jam-packing the Motors parks, blah blah.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 27, 2011
udezue:

@Ileke, yeah ekeresimesi was alright and I hope your was good.

Truth is that YoRuba muslims have no business stopping other Southerners from dealing with Northern muslims. Yoruba muslims are as much in danger around northern Muslims as the MB, SE, SS and Yoruba Xtian. Stop deceiving yourselves with this crazy idea that u are untouchable. U were not so untouchable in Jos, Kano, Kaduna and other riot prone places in the North.

Yes, it was g-reat!!!

What I'm saying is, you'll have to deal with yorubas if you want to haunt northern Muslims. There is no way to tell the difference between the Muslims of each tribes. So the business is all theirs.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by udezue(m): 10:49pm On Dec 27, 2011
@Ileke, Yoruba muslims did nothing in Jos but die in their hundreds. I find your situation to be pathetic. During riots Xtians attack you bcoz u are muslim and northern muslims attack you as well bcoz u are FAKE muslims to them. What can u possibly do? You are highly irrelevant hence no one will have to notice your existence.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 27, 2011
udezue:

@Ileke, Yoruba muslims did nothing in Jos but die in their hundreds. I find your situation to be pathetic. During riots Xtians attack you bcoz u are muslim and northern muslims attack you as well bcoz u are FAKE muslims to them. What can u possibly do? You are highly irrelevant hence no one will have to notice your existence.

Prove your carefree statement with facts.

Have you seen Fulanis/hausas or other tribes attack Yoruba muslims in Yorubaland and go scott free? That's what you're expecting to happen with your first comment.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by udezue(m): 11:04pm On Dec 27, 2011
@ Ileke, I am talking Hausa-Fulani attacking Yoruba muslims in the North. Why are changing the topic? There has been fierce wars btwn Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba ppl in the SW.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 27, 2011
udezue:

@ Ileke, I am talking Hausa-Fulani attacking Yoruba muslims in the North. Why are changing the topic? There has been fierce wars btwn Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba ppl in the SW.

of course, really.
Now let's test your history; what were the wars based on and what has that go to to with religion.
Attacking Muslims in the south will not only get Hausa-F on you, but also the Yorubas.
sebi una still dey live peacefully without religious riots in the SW abi?
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 28, 2011
muyoto:

Its funny how after each attack by BH, we hear reports of Southerners fleeing the North in their ''hundreds, thousands'', jam-packing the Motors parks, blah blah.

grin grin grin
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nobody: 1:31am On Dec 28, 2011
@Ileke Idi--- I love your replies to these intolerant religious and ethnic bigots.

But my only question is: what is this "South" We've started hearing of late?!

Why is it ONLY Northerners and Easterners that keep mentioning this New "South Alliance" the rest of us seem not to know about? undecided
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Nchara: 1:34am On Dec 28, 2011
Has there been any religious riots in the SE despite the 100s of 1000s of northern and SW muslims living there?
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by BlackBaron: 2:00am On Dec 28, 2011
Is this the beginning angry shocked
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by Jenifa1: 3:38am On Dec 28, 2011
muyoto:

grin grin grin
they are too addicted to the north to stay away.
Re: Southern Christains Flee Northern Nigerian Cities by mensdept: 4:07am On Dec 28, 2011
otokx:

Those who are not from those areas should relocate back to their home states.

Why? Relocate to where? Before Naija was dashed independence, this shyt called Christian killings has been happening, yet Southerners/Christians still decide (like childish goats) to go back to the North.

These folks should stay in the north and fight. Any Christian from the South that decides to own property in the North (including Abuja) should be awarded the title OYO (on your own).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch M K O Abiola And Tofa Insult Tom Ikimi nPresidential Debate(Videos of Awo) / 75% Of Lagosians Live In Slums - Amnesty International / Mugabe Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.