Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,172 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

How To Make Wara - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Wara (21555 Views)

Making Wara (soybean Cake) / Do Nigerians Eat Cheese. Is Wara The Same Thing As Cheese ? / Wara (soft Cheese) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Wara by deols(f): 5:34pm On Jan 01, 2012
Hello,

wara is sold mostly by fulanis and I love it soooooooooo much. I'd like anyone who knows how to prepare it to pls tell me about it.

thanks in advance
Re: How To Make Wara by MissyB3(f): 10:52pm On Jan 01, 2012
'Wara' does not ring a bell. Some of us will need you to describe it or post a photo, if possible.
Re: How To Make Wara by Nobody: 5:33am On Jan 02, 2012
Wara is not something you can make yourself, you need fresh ingredients. freshly squeezed cow milk and a certain tree leaf "bomubomu" are critical. Try American cottage cheese or soy milk wara for close substitute.
Re: How To Make Wara by Jenifa1: 11:04pm On Jan 04, 2012
I think you need to move to a rural area or village.
I've never seen it in the city.

Missy_B:

'Wara' does not ring a bell. Some of us will need you to describe it or post a photo, if possible.

it's like cheese but naija style lol
Re: How To Make Wara by deols(f): 9:55am On Jan 05, 2012
Missy_B:

Yh it is like cheese bu definitely definitely tastes different. It is made from fresh cow milk(all i knew about it)

labalaba:

Wara is not something you can make yourself, you need fresh ingredients. freshly squeezed cow milk and a certain tree leaf "bomubomu" are critical. Try American cottage cheese or soy milk wara for close substitute.

thank you!

Jenifa_:

I think you need to move to a rural area or village.
I've never seen it in the city.

it's like cheese but naija style lol

depends on the city u live in for I av seen it in d city of Ibadan and of Ilorin as well as Abuja!!!!
Re: How To Make Wara by Jenifa1: 1:53am On Jan 06, 2012
deols:

depends on the city u live in for I av seen it in d city of Ibadan and of Ilorin as well as Abuja!!!!

somehow I thought of Ibadan as a rural area. never mind me.
I should have specified Lagos.

but yea, you can try asking local people. esp livestock farmers.
Re: How To Make Wara by VENUSS(f): 10:44am On Jan 06, 2012
deols:

Hello,

wara is sold mostly by fulanis and I love it soooooooooo much. I'd like anyone who knows how to prepare it to pls tell me about it.

thanks in advance
i made a soybean cheese recently, i learnt its also the same process with d cow milk cheese. For d soy beans, u wash nd soak d soy over night or for up to 8hrs for it to be soft that you can bite tro.2. Blend to get a smooth paste.3. Mix with hot water nd seeve.4 pour d milk in a pot nd let it boil, but u have to kip an eye on it because wen it starts boil it fils up nd pour all over u cooker.5. Wen it starts to boil u start adding ur coagulant,eithe naigari(bitter salt) not sure of d spelling but i wil look it up,but 4 me i use white vinegar.you start to add ur coagulant bit by bit until u see d cheese seperate frm d water.6. Whem it done coagulating u take a clean cloth seeve nd pour it in so dat most of d water drains out. Leavin it with little amount of water.7 take it out from d cloth. Ur cheese is ready

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Wara by deols(f): 10:56am On Jan 06, 2012
VENUSS:

i made a soybean cheese recently, i learnt its also the same process with d cow milk cheese. For d soy beans, u wash nd soak d soy over night or for up to 8hrs for it to be soft that you can bite tro.2. Blend to get a smooth paste.3. Mix with hot water nd seeve.4 pour d milk in a pot nd let it boil, but u have to kip an eye on it because wen it starts boil it fils up nd pour all over u cooker.5. Wen it starts to boil u start adding your coagulant,eithe naigari(bitter salt) not sure of d spelling but i wil look it up,but 4 me i use white vinegar.you start to add your coagulant bit by bit until u see d cheese seperate frm d water.6. Whem it done coagulating u take a clean cloth seeve nd pour it in so dat most of d water drains out. Leavin it with little amount of water.7 take it out from d cloth. your cheese is ready

Oh, thank u for this.I'll try it out!
Re: How To Make Wara by VENUSS(f): 11:13am On Jan 06, 2012
Wanted to upload d pics,but findin it difcult. Mostly in dis part of d country its used as snack. U cut it into big dices, soak in salt nd seasonings mixd with water, take it out nd fry nd eat with pepper sauce or vegetable salad. I best enjoy mine after a day or took. Nd eat with my left over spageti.d fulani people dat sells d wara nd procced milk (nono) can get u fresh milk if u request. Just follow dis proces. I no d leave de use to coagulate but dont know what its called, but dats wat de know at there level i guess. There are other coagulants u can use. As for d shape i v no idea wat de use to get dat. GL.
Re: How To Make Wara by dustydee: 7:26pm On Jan 06, 2012
For the shape it's a woven raffia they use, It's basically a conical basket. Pour the coagulated milk in it and the water sips out of the basket. let it stand for some hours and then turn the basket over and there you got. The 'basket' is small just about a fist size. You can also squeeze the cheeze through it to get the water out faster.
Re: How To Make Wara by deols(f): 8:44pm On Jan 06, 2012
^^^ thanks guys. I av learnt a lot from this thread.

Should give a feedback when I do make it wink
Re: How To Make Wara by Jenifa1: 1:41am On Jan 07, 2012
VENUSS:

i made a soybean cheese recently, i learnt its also the same process with d cow milk cheese. For d soy beans, u wash nd soak d soy over night or for up to 8hrs for it to be soft that you can bite tro.2. Blend to get a smooth paste.3. Mix with hot water nd seeve.4 pour d milk in a pot nd let it boil, but u have to kip an eye on it because wen it starts boil it fils up nd pour all over u cooker.5. Wen it starts to boil u start adding your coagulant,eithe naigari(bitter salt) not sure of d spelling but i wil look it up,but 4 me i use white vinegar.you start to add your coagulant bit by bit until u see d cheese seperate frm d water.6. Whem it done coagulating u take a clean cloth seeve nd pour it in so dat most of d water drains out. Leavin it with little amount of water.7 take it out from d cloth. your cheese is ready

that's tofu lol
I made something similar a while ago but didn't use any coagulant. I don't remember what I did but the soy curdled. thanks 4 the tips now I know what to do to intentionally cause it to curdle.

but doesn't the vinegar affect the taste??
Re: How To Make Wara by Ameboperoo(m): 5:00pm On Jan 07, 2012
fulani wara and the one from soy are similar but the the formal is from animal and later from plant. Although d formal may taste a little more delicious (especially when you fry them) they are close subtitute. Some said it can be made with canned milk or even powdered but I've not tried them. The coagulant can vinegar, alum, lime or potash (potash not very good 4 health reason. Though I don't know the effect). U need to add it little at a time so u will only add a quantity that u need or else, the taste will be affected. If u have it in mind to fry it, then u can pour it in a sack or muslin (type used to filter kunuzaki or akamu) then apply little pressure by placing a weight on it to drain much of the water and it's more solid. U can now cut it to ur desire size and dry with vegetable oil. It is called 'beske' when u add pepper and salt. It is sometimes used as subtitute for meat in soup and stew. Strict vegetarians who dont eat meat will prefer d fried soy cheese. Very good subtitute to meat! Just try it
Re: How To Make Wara by deols(f): 6:41am On Jan 08, 2012
For an adult, the soy one should be more preferred considering its nutritional benefit of having more fibres as opposed to the one made of cow milk.
Re: How To Make Wara by VENUSS(f): 11:25am On Jan 08, 2012
@jenifa ya tofu. No, vinegar does not affects d taste if u don't add too much. Wen u use alum and add too much it makes your cheese strong.
Re: How To Make Wara by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 10, 2012
Here is a recipe for soy beans wara : http://www.9jafoodie.com/wara-tofu/. good luck.
Re: How To Make Wara by MissyB3(f): 1:42pm On Jan 10, 2012
[img]http://2.bp..com/-ffxHIMCEiqU/TdmCFvQ7NvI/AAAAAAAAAvc/lo7GZCoC8u0/s400/DSC04594.JPG[/img]

Okay, I can say I've never seen wara before, until now.
Re: How To Make Wara by dollya(f): 2:44pm On Jan 10, 2012
Wara (soft Cheese)

All you do is boil some milk, reduce the heat and add something acidic to separate the curds and whey – white vinegar, lemon or lime juice will do, and then press out the excess moisture, a couple of tablespoons for a litre of milk.

Once you add the lime juice/lemon juice/vinegar you will notice that the curds and whey start to separate immediately.

If they don’t seem to be separating add more of your lime juice/lemon juice/vinegar.

Give it about 5 minutes, stirring so it doesn’t stick or burn and the curds will get bigger and the whey will get clearer.

After the 5 minutes or so are up, strain through some muslin or cheesecloth to separate the curds.

You can suspend your ball of cheese in waiting from the tap or just put it in a sieve suspended over an empty pot.

Leave it for about half an hour or so to cool down and drip then squeeze the excess liquid out.

Place a weight on it (a can of beans and a saucer) at this point for an hour or so and then it’s ready to refrigerate.
Easy peasy!

Variations:

Add salt to the wara, if you like with your choice of spices one or more, including black pepper, roasted cumin seed, chopped green chilies, chopped cilantro  or to your taste.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

What Is EKO Called In English? / Pls What Else Can I Use To Grind Beans For Moi Moi Apart From Grinding Machine? / World's Most Expensive Bottle Of Red Wine On Sale For N31m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.