Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? (4454 Views)

Popular Non Yoruba Indigenes Making Waves In The Yoruba Movie Industry / Meet The Ghanian Actress Who Decides To Never Wear A Bra Ever Again:see PHOTOS / Who Are The Top Ten Most Beautiful Ghollywood/Ghanian Actresses To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 10:06pm On Jan 01, 2012
[b]"Over the last few years, an emerging trend within the Ghanaian movie industry has been the explicit use of light- skinned actors, over those of with a dark- skinned complexion. The majority of recently released Ghollywood films have featured actors and actresses with light complexions in the leading roles, regardless of their acting credentials, and experience.

The desire to feature light-skinned actresses and actors in leading roles is a misleading reflection of Ghanaian society; as a West African nation, the majority of Ghanaians are dark skinned. However, due to the dominating appearances of light complexioned actors and actresses in Ghollywood movies, the assumption could be made that perhaps 70% of the Ghanaian population is either light-skinned or mixed race.

Although ‘light’ is seen as more beautiful, an influx of darker skinned actors and actresses are now beginning to step to the forefront of the limelight, and take their positions as leading men and ladies. Take Jackie Appiah for example, frequently cast in a supporting role opposite the lighter Nadia Buari, Ms Appiah- Africa’s newly crowned Best Actress- has stepped her game up tremendously to show that skin colour does not determine skills.

Unfortunately, the pressures of the industry are high, leading some actors and actresses to succumb to the pressures of bleaching. Henceforth, it is because of such industry pressure that actresses like Jackie, Genevieve Nnnaji, and Lydia Forson should be congratulated on holding their own to show off their natural, dark-skinned complexions."[/b]
http://www.ghanacelebrities.com/2010/04/20/is-the-ghanaian-movie-industry-ruled-by-colour
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by tpia5: 4:42pm On Jan 02, 2012
I think lighter skin controls the entertainment industry in general.

Its just more obvious in ghana because ghanaians tends to be majorly dark.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 4:58pm On Jan 02, 2012
tpia@:

I think lighter skin controls the entertainment industry in general.

Its just more obvious in ghana because ghanaians tends to be majorly dark.

True, lighter skin vs dark skin exist in every industry from Hollywood, bollywood, and etc. You have a point that it is more obvious in Ghana because majority there are dark skinned but I think it goes beyond that because in Nollywood you don't see to much emphasis in putting light skinned blacks or mixed race africans in the movies compared to ghollywood. I am not saying Nollywood is perfect but you tend to see more Mercy Johnsons, Stephanie Okereke's, Genevieve's, and etc in Nollywood then Ghollywood.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by Outstrip(f): 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2012
tpia I think it is more obvious in ghollywood because they actually do cast biracial people simply because they are biracial. I love my Ghana peeps but they tend to be be color struck. More so than other west africans I know
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 10:04pm On Jan 02, 2012
Outstrip:

tpia I think it is more obvious in ghollywood because they actually do cast biracial people simply because they are biracial. I love my Ghana peeps but they tend to be be color struck. More so than other west africans I know

Cosign 100%, In Ghollywood's beginnings at one time the only popular actor/actresses were of mixed racial background except Jackie Appiah
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by londoner: 2:09am On Jan 03, 2012
This is one thing I appreciate Nollywood for. It does not emphasis skin tone.

You don't have to look a particular way to be successful, whether dark or light. That is important in an industry that is watched by so many across Africa, that everyone can find a star that resembles them whether light or dark, slim or curvy.

You certainly dont have to be mixed race to make it, or you don't have to be dark skinned to make it.

In fact I believe Nollywood puts less emphasis on looks in general I think. It is the same with age. You don't have to be a 'twenty something' to have a career in Nollywood.

Even if you are beautiful/handsome it does not guarantee you success in Nollywood, even though it may help. Talent takes you so much further.

However, in Ghollywood and other movie industries, if you are not at least attractive there is no hope for you to be popular. So, you get quite a few actors/actresses who look like they are where they are through their looks alone.

1 Like

Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by dasparrow: 4:08am On Jan 03, 2012
londoner:

You don't have to look a particular way to be successful, whether dark or light. That is important in an industry that is watched by so many across Africa, that everyone can find a star that resembles them whether light or dark, slim or curvy.

You certainly dont have to be mixed race to make it, or you don't have to be dark skinned to make it.

In fact I believe Nollywood puts less emphasis on looks in general I think. It is the same with age. You don't have to be a 'twenty something' to have a career in Nollywood.

Even if you are beautiful/handsome it does not guarantee you success in Nollywood, even though it may help. Talent takes you so much further.

However, in Ghollywood and other movie industries, if you are not at least attractive there is no hope for you to be popular. So, you get quite a few actors/actresses who look like they are where they are through their looks alone.

Yes, that is so true. I cannot even understand why Africans from all-black African countries should be emphasizing skin color. Where did we Africans get that bad habit from worshipping light skin? It's not like our countries are like the USA where black people suffered so much racial discrimination and as such black folks there developed a sense of inferiority complex. What excuse do we Africans have? I tire!
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 4:10am On Jan 03, 2012
londoner:

EXCELLENT STATEMENT, I agree this is one of the reasons I will always like Nollywood 10x more then Ghollywood
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 4:14am On Jan 03, 2012
dasparrow:

Yes, that is so true. I cannot even understand why Africans from all-black African countries should be emphasizing skin color. Where did we Africans get that bad habit from worshipping light skin? It's not like our countries are like the USA where black people suffered so much racial discrimination and as such black folks there developed a sense of inferiority complex. What excuse do we Africans have? I tire!

Thank you, the craft of acting is the only thing movie industries should care about not skin color, or particularly light skin, it's ridiculous. there is no excuse for black africans. I remember I went into a Ghanian forum years ago and there was a thread on Ghollywod stars and some of the ghanians commenting were worshiping Van Vicker and nadia buari because they were light skinned, and or mixed it was sort of sickening.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by omar22(m): 3:00pm On Jan 04, 2012
True, lighter skin vs dark skin exist in every industry from Hollywood, bollywood,

Give an example in Hollywood?
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 04, 2012
omar22:

ROFLMAOOOO!!! @To be honest, the only two Ghanaian actors I can think of is Majid and Van. There are lot more darker actors.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by omar22(m): 4:07pm On Jan 04, 2012
ROFLMAOOOO!!! @To be honest, the only two Ghanaian actors I can think of is Majid and Van. There are lot more darker actors.

Thats my thought but I pay less attention to Gholly or Nolly whatever they are called,

But Hollywood? if its Blonde over Brunette I might say "may be" but not definite but favouring a light skinned Afro-American over a dark skinned actor/actress? nah!!!!

I dont know what they would gain? but a major out cry, but in Bollywood oh yes it does happen, During the IPL (India Premier League of Cricket) they selected white looking Indian girls as Cheerleaders for the teams and the dark skinned girls were a no no no!!!
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2012
Bollywood is the worst actually, lets not even go there.

A dark woman is ugly, They don't care about your features, so long you're dark you are plain out ugly.

A fair woman is pretty, no matter how fugly her features are.

Stupid mentality I tell you.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2012
rokiatu:

A dark woman is ugly, They don't care about your features, so long you're dark you are plain out ugly.

silly mentality I tell you.

True
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 7:45pm On Jan 04, 2012
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 7:49pm On Jan 04, 2012
rokiatu:

Yeah but they are not the top Ghanian actors in Ghollywood, the only two Ghanian actors who are the top right now in ghollywood are not dark skinned are, it is just recently that there is one up coming ghanian actor that has joined Van & Majid and he is John Dumelo but besides that no.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by babyboy3(m): 8:14pm On Jan 04, 2012
Paul Money was talking about been too black not in complexion but in attitude or behavior, the same attitude or behavior that got Vivica Fox's career heading south, Acting like your from the Ghetto gets you nowhere!!! Look at Moni'que oe Queen Latifah who were from the project dont act all Ghetto

If we are talking about complexion

Whoopi Goldberg an Oscar winner is very dark
Sydnei Poirtier another Oscar winner is very dark
Djimoh Hounsou, Michael Clarke Duncan, Gabourey Sidibe
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 8:49pm On Jan 04, 2012
baby-boy:

Paul Money was talking about been too black not in complexion but in attitude or behavior, the same attitude or behavior that got Vivica Fox's career heading south, Acting like your from the Ghetto gets you nowhere!!! Look at Moni'que oe Queen Latifah who were from the project dont act all Ghetto

Djimoh Hounsou, Michael Clarke Duncan, Gabourey Sidibe

that involves complexion in America though; he gave a little clue when he talked about relaxed hair vs people having their hair out naturally like a afro, when it comes to who won a Oscar or not that is irrelevant because regardless it is still going on, and those people listed won decades from each other, it isn't as clear cut as you make it seem. Plus Gabourey Sidibe, Djimoh Hounsou are not top Black actors and actresses in Hollwyood. So Oscar or not dark skin vs. light skin exist in Hollywood, it may be less then how it was in the 50's in America but it is still showing it ugly head at times.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by safarigirl(f): 10:21pm On Jan 04, 2012
Notice how save for Gabrielle Union ǡŋ₫ Nia Long, majority dark skinned women in Hollywood aren't very beautiful?

Halle Berry
Zoe Saldana(thinks she's Dominican, ΩØƚ black, lost soul)
Paula Patton
Queen Latifah
Jada Pinkett Smith
Angela Bassette
Vanessa Williams
Beyonce
Ǡŋ₫ Ǟ lot more I can't remember right now, ÄŁĻ light skinned, there is Ǟ form ☺₣ discrimination in Hollywood, they just cover it up quite well.

Please don't blame Ghana if they're fascinated by light skinned actors, it's Ǟ rare sight over there, let em bask in the euphoria.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by Ilamina(f): 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2012
funny enough, the dark skinned actors are better than the biracial actors/actresses
Majid Michael-=crap. .I wonder what you girls see in this guy? some short, unstylistic arab looking nucca
Nadia Buari, Lillian Bach, Juliet Ibrahim=crap actresses
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by Ilamina(f): 10:33pm On Jan 04, 2012
In nollywood, the most celebrated Nigerian actresses are actually dark skinned -Genevieve Nnaji, Mercy Johnson, Ini edo, stephanie Okereke
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 11:42pm On Jan 04, 2012
safarigirl:

Notice how save for Gabrielle Union ǡŋ₫ Nia Long, majority dark skinned women in Hollywood aren't very beautiful?

Halle Berry
Paula Patton
Queen Latifah
Jada Pinkett Smith
Angela Bassette
Vanessa Williams
Beyonce
Ǡŋ₫ Ǟ lot more I can't remember right now, ÄŁĻ light skinned, there is Ǟ form ☺₣ discrimination in Hollywood, they just cover it up quite well.

Please don't blame Ghana if they're fascinated by light skinned actors, it's Ǟ rare sight over there, let em bask in the euphoria.

interesting points, I do agree that in Hollywood they just know how to cover it up very well, but Zoe Saldana calls herself Black latina or Blatina

It was the Ghana media who actually did that article
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 11:59pm On Jan 04, 2012
Ilamina:

funny enough, the dark skinned actors are better than the biracial actors/actresses
Majid Michael-=crap. .I wonder what you girls see in this guy? some short, unstylistic arab looking nucca
Nadia Buari, Lillian Bach, Juliet Ibrahim=crap actresses

LOL, so true

Well to me Majid Micheal is a ok actor but highly overrated, plus sometimes he over acts to the point he seems crazy to me, and I am not attracted to him but many african girls, especially Ghanian girls love him alot not only for acting but looks but not as much as they rave the TALENTLESS Van Vicker, he is good looking but I feel people use that as a excuse to compensate for his horrible acting.

when it comes to Juliet Ibrahim, she has no acting skill what so ever at all, even if her life depends on it. Any movie she is in she fails to deliver, the only thing she got going for her is her beauty. All I can say is she is a horrible actress

Nadia Buari, well what can I say she is a ok actress or whatever to me(she doesn't really interest me when it comes to acting) and Ghanian actresses Like Yvonne Okoro beat her in acting 10x more. I have noticed with her, people like to rave about her beauty more then her acting itself, when most of the time the question about her beauty is never asked in the first place.

Lillian Bach is a ok actress but she doesn't move me, so it doesn't surprise me that her acting in Nigeria is really never cared for. Haven't seen her movies to much only the recent movie "high blood Pressue", she was just ok to me, she is pretty but her acting doesn't beat Genevieve Nnaji, Funke Akindele, Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, Mercy Johnson, Dakore Egbuson, and many others to me.

Ilamina:

In nollywood, the most celebrated Nigerian actresses are actually dark skinned -Genevieve Nnaji, Mercy Johnson, Ini edo, stephanie Okereke

You are correct, their are no top light skinned Nigerian actresses in Nollywood, their are brown skinned black ones like Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, Rita Dominic, and etc but light skinned NO. when it comes to the actors, the only two top light skinned actors are Mike Ezuronye and Ramsey noauh but Mike is not mixed and he isn't super light like Lillain Bach, and Ramsey well he I guess he is the lucky anomaly
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 05, 2012
rokiatu:

silly mentality I tell you.

that is just hindu culture. some actually believe dark skin is bad karma or a curse.
that we've forsaken God in our past lives.  undecided

safarigirl please don't lie on my girl Zoe Saldana. Seriously. Someone like myself who has a parent from that part of the world caribbean/latin america i will tell you upfront ppl identify with their nationality not their race which is why a puerto rican will say "i am puerto rican, not african (american)" rather than deny they are black (although some do but most of them know and accept their african heritage).

secondly the dominican republic has the third highest black population in the caribbean (after cuba and haiti) and yes some dominicans are ignorant as the culture is definitely in a way anti-African [in terms of identifying as African] but Zoe is not. Zoe's mother is puerto rican and her father dominican and yet she has her own motto that says: "Soy una mujer negra" which means "i am a black woman" in spanish. She's NEVER denied that.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by omar22(m): 10:49am On Jan 05, 2012

Halle Berry
Paula Patton
Queen Latifah
Jada Pinkett Smith
Angela Bassette
Vanessa Williams
Beyonce
Ǡŋ₫ Ǟ lot more I can't remember right now, ÄŁĻ light skinned, there is Ǟ form ☺₣ discrimination in Hollywood,

Gabrielle Union - She is average
Nia Long, - Another avaerage
Halle Berry - She is a top rated actress
Paula Patton - Just good
Queen Latifah - Very Good
Jada Pinkett Smith - has been
Angela Bassette - Has been
Vanessa Williams - Average
Beyonce - Another Average but Marketable

@anonymous6

Give me a list of Dark skinned actresses that YOU think Hollywood has ignored for a Light skinned actress

Djimoh Hounsou Oscar nominee
Michael Clarke Duncan Oscar nominee
Gabourey Sidibe Oscar nominee
Morris Chestnut
Taye Diggs
Idris Elba

All top rate, top earnig artist in Hollywood and they are as dark as a Pirelli wet tyre!!!
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2012
omar22:

@anonymous6

Give me a list of Dark skinned actresses that YOU think Hollywood has ignored for a Light skinned actress

All top rate, top earnig artist in Hollywood and they are as dark as a Pirelli wet tyre!!!

Your list
"Whoopi Goldberg an Oscar winner is very dark
Djimoh Hounsou Oscar nominee
Michael Clarke Duncan Oscar nominee
Gabourey Sidibe Oscar nominee
Morris Chestnut
Taye Diggs
Idris Elba"

I think you need to get a plane ticket and fly to America because I was born and raised there and it isn't as clear cut as you make it seem because in your extended list you have some things wrong because Taye Diggs, Idris Elba, Morris Chestnut are not top rated black actors or top rated actors in Hollywood, where did you get that info from. Morris only does Black Hollywood movies, and rarily is in one Hollywood movie, they only thing I have seen him in is the canceled show[b] "V"[/b], Idris Elba(better then the other two) is rarily in big movie's in Hollywood mostly black Hollywood movies, I only have seen in a British show called "Luther" and used to in the completed american show "the Wire" and he played a character In Thor, when it comes to Taye diggs well let me just say this I don't even know why you put him in the list because he hasn't been as popular since " How Stella Got Her grove Back". White Americans don't know any of these 3 black men you mentioned only Sidney Poiteir(old and retired now) Denzel Washington, Samuel L Jackson, Will Smith, Forest Whitaker, Morgan freeman, Harry belafonte(at least whites from the old generation), Eddie Murphy(comedian/actor),  Don Cheadle, Chris Rock(comedian/actor) and Jamie Fox
http://www.magforwomen.com/5-best-black-actors-of-hollywood-we-totally-love/
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/03/will-smith-black-actors-denzel-washington-anthony-mackie-discrimination.html

[b]"There is still a sizable number of black actors in Hollywood with box-office clout and meaty roles, a point that will be underscored when the NAACP hands out its annual Image Awards in Los Angeles Friday night. Will Smith is the biggest movie star in the world, a title he's held now for several years, and Denzel Washington remains at the peak of his box-office powers.

But most of the prominent male black stars sit on the other side of 40. The best known of the next generation -- say, Derek Luke (36), Chiwetel Eijofor (33), Idris Elba (39) and Mackie (31) -- are not only less influential, they're not nearly as popular in their 30s as the previous crop was at their age. (Washington, for instance, had already won an Oscar and made "Glory," "Malcolm X" and "Philadelphia" before he hit the big 4-0.)

That's not because any of these actors aren't capable of pulling off a "Malcolm X" or a "Philadelphia," of course. It's because they're not given the chance. Mackie has one of the more substantive studio roles for a younger black actor in a while as Matt Damon's guardian angel in this weekend's "The Adjustment Bureau." But it's hardly the role of a lifetime."[/b]
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/03/will-smith-black-actors-denzel-washington-anthony-mackie-discrimination.html

Gabourey Sidibe, was a oscar nominee,and white America knows her to a extent because of the Oprah promoted movie precious. Now anytime people see her they call her the precious girl, not many people remember her actual name, and some in the American make fun of her because of her weight:
Howard Stern: Gabourey Sidibe Is 'Enormous,' Will Never Work Again
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/09/howard-stern-gabourey-sid_n_492102.html
http://theurbandaily.com/movies/shamika-sanders/howard-stern-says-gabourey-sidibe-is-gonna-die-in-two-years/
She has a only done one movie with Eddie Murphy since precious and people still don't remember, Jennifer Hudson is even in a better standing then her and is set to do the Mandela movie

Sidney poitier is retired and old, and yeah he won a Oscar decades ago in 1963 but there was never a actor of his calabar since then for many years for a while when he was a actor, also no black man won best actor award many decades after Sidneys win, until Denzel won it in 2002, so whats your point

Whoopi Goldberg is popular more for her comedy in the show "view" and hasn't acted in years, she has won best supporting actress in the movie "Ghost" and has appeared in Movie Like "The Color Purple" and "for colored Girls" but besides that nobody really remembers any other movies she has done, and sometimes they seem to forget she won a award, she even said it in a show one time

Djimoh Hounsou, he's a good actor especially after "Amistad" and "Blood Diamonds" but he hasn't really been in a major role since, people remember his face a little but really never remember his name. The only credit I will give him is as a african actor he is in a better standing then Idris Elba and Chiwetel Ejiofor but white America really doesn't know. Nominees become forgotten in America after 1 or two years it is winners people tend to remember in America

omar22:

@anonymous6

You can put Gabourey Sibede in the list
http://laprogressive.com/rankism/diddys-dumb-deed/
http://laprogressive.com/rankism/diddys-dumb-deed/2/
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/do_light_skinned_actresses_accept_praise_but_deliberately_avoid_their_color
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/once_more_with_feeling_-_are_black_actresses_forced_to_ugly_themselves_up

All I am letting you know is there is racial politics in Hollywood.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by omar22(m): 2:19pm On Jan 05, 2012
All I am letting you know is there is racial politics in Hollywood.

The thread is not about race,  its about Complexion (light skinned vs Dark Skinned actors / actresses)

And what the hell is Black Hollywood ? (or do you mean low budget movies produced by black directors) get your fact rights and go and check Morris Chestnut's profile.

Whoopi Goldberg - Just say you dont watch her movies, 

Sidney poitier is retired and old, and yeah he won a Oscar decades ago in 1963 but there was never a actor of his calabar since then for many years for a while when he was a actor, also no black man won best actor award many decades after Sidneys win, until Denzel won it in 2002, so whats your point

Name a year that you think a black man should have won best actor? The only year I could think off was in 2000 when Denzil was nominated for the Hurricane but the family of Ruben Carter protested, 

Djimoh Hounsou, he's a good actor especially after "Amistad" and "Blood Diamonds" but he hasn't really been in a major role since,

Again get your facts right!!!

White Americans don't know any of these 3 black men you mentioned

Idris Elba - Again get your facts right!!! go and get his profile he has films line up to the end of 2013

Taye Diggs - He is more into TV series which sometimes pay more than the actual movies but apart from the movie directed by Rick Famuyiwa all his movies are not low budget acting like they are from the Ghetto.

Morris Chestnut - Nuff said!!!

But most of the prominent male black stars sit on the other side of 40. The best known of the next generation -- say, Derek Luke (36), Chiwetel Eijofor (33), Idris Elba (39) and Mackie (31) -- are not only less influential, they're not nearly as popular in their 30s as the previous crop was at their age. (Washington, for instance, had already won an Oscar and made "Glory," "Malcolm X" and "Philadelphia" before he hit the big 4-0.)

Jamie Foxx won an Oscar before he was 40 the same with Cuba Gooding junior,  in the 70s and 80s not many coloured actors get major roles Denzil, Freeman, Portier and thats it, theirs a wide range of Black actors to pick from now, so many!!! Those who limit them selves to acting "am from the hood" and the "world is against me" bottom line is one the world most expensive movie and the most successful movie of this decade had a leading role given to a Black Lady! in Avatar.

That's not because any of these actors aren't capable of pulling off a "Malcolm X" or a "Philadelphia," of course. It's because they're not given the chance

GO and read about the movie, or do you honestly think they just pluck someone out of nowhere to play a role? name another blackman THEN that could play such role as Lawyer Joe Miller,   look Hollywood is not Nollywood that churn out rubbish in minutes,  making requires alot of thinking and investment and no one doesnt want to throw money at an investment that wouldnt yeild interest!

The role of Malcolm X, well Malcolm X was going to be produced by a whiteman before it went to court over the issue before the Spike Lee came in. Again you cant just put anyone in the role.

By your logic we should have a Black James Bond.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 2:54pm On Jan 05, 2012
omar22:

And what the hell is Black Hollywood ? (or do you mean low budget movies produced by black directors) get your fact rights and go and check Morris Chestnut's profile.
Movies made by african americans
http://insideblackhollywood.com/
http://www.soulofamerica.com/los-angeles-black-hollywood-history.phtml

omar22:

The thread is not about race,  its about Complexion (light skinned vs Dark Skinned actors / actresses)

it comes down to the samething in Hollywood and you are the one who brought me into discussing about Hollywood with your questions, if you can't accept the answers don't ask, lol

omar22:

omar22:

@anonymous6

omar22:

Whoopi Goldberg - Just say you dont watch her movies, 

I have watched her movies, get over yourself

omar22:

get your fact rights and go and check Morris Chestnut's profile.

You check it because I already did and I stand with what I said

omar22:

Idris Elba - Again get your facts right!!! go and get his profile he has films line up to the end of 2013

Taye Diggs - He is more into TV series which sometimes pay more than the actual movies but apart from the movie directed by Rick Famuyiwa all his movies are not low budget acting like they are from the Ghetto.

Morris Chestnut - Nuff said!!!

Jamie Foxx won an Oscar before he was 40 the same with Cuba Gooding junior,  in the 70s and 80s not many coloured actors get major roles Denzil, Freeman, Portier and thats it, theirs a wide range of Black actors to pick from now, so many!!! Those who limit them selves to acting "am from the hood" and the "world is against me" bottom line is one the world most expensive movie and the most successful movie of this decade had a leading role given to a Black Lady! in Avatar.

GO and read about the movie, or do you honestly think they just pluck someone out of nowhere to play a role? name another blackman THEN that could play such role as Lawyer Joe Miller,   look Hollywood is not Nollywood that churn out rubbish in minutes,  making requires alot of thinking and investment and no one doesnt want to throw money at an investment that wouldnt yeild interest!

The role of Malcolm X,  well Malcolm X was going to be produced by a whiteman before it went to court over the issue before the Spike Lee came in. Again you cant just put anyone in the role.

By your logic we should have a Black James Bond.

You need to get your facts straight, their profiles are irrelevant those sources I posted are explanatory enough, so if don't accept it, that is your problem. I repeat Morris chestnut, Taye diggs, and Idris elba are not top black actors in Hollywood, Denzel, Will, Jamie, and etc are. You are not going to change my mind with all that irrelevancies you are saying.

what does Nollywood have to do with anything about what we are specifically talking about right now, look the sources I posted speak for themselves

I don't care for a Black James bond, my logic has nothing to do with having a black James bond, which I know will never happen, nor do I care for a James bond movie with a black man, There is racial & I might say complexion politics in Hollywood it may not be blunt and obvious like Bollywood but it exist, I don't care how you spin this.

Now at this point you and me are going to stand with our own opinions, just leave it as that because you are in a bubble(which is fine) but don't force me into it.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by omar22(m): 3:21pm On Jan 05, 2012
Now at this point you and me are going to stand with our own opinions, just leave it as that because you are in a bubble(which is fine) but don't force me into it.

Am not forcing you into anything! Not everyone feels political oppressed or suppressed by their white colleagues, white peers or white neighbours. Not everyone sees the worst in people, some do see the good in people.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 3:27pm On Jan 05, 2012
omar22:

Am not forcing you into anything! Not everyone feels political oppressed or suppressed by their white colleagues or white neighbours. Not everyone sees the worst in people, so do see the good in people. 

TRUE, Nobody feels like that 24/7, I don't but I also do accept the reality I am in or the western world, and that reality is there are good and bad experiences from white people and almost every black no matter where you are from(well at least western world) experienced it, I have and I will never forget because I have experienced hard core racist black americans and white americans to the most gracious & good white and Black americans(even though I don't really have to many white or black american friends). So I am a realist in my views about it
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by omar22(m): 3:40pm On Jan 05, 2012
Look all am saying here is that, for example if Barack Obama had mindset that the white people wont give him the chance to rule, he would have lost at the first hurdle but no he saw it differently!!! These are barriers we as blacks all over the world need to get out of our thinking system,  We have so many blacks most of the Afro Carribbean dropping out of school because they think the white wont give them a job so whats the point.

We all cried blue murder when Kevin Spacey won the Oscar ahead of Denzil, but when the dust settled and looking at Kevin's performance in American Beauty was fantastic. you have to realise that the Jewish Americans control the film industry in American, they put up most of the funds and they could say who they want in their movies.
Re: Is The Ghanian Movie Industry Ruled By Color? by anonymous6(f): 4:18pm On Jan 05, 2012
omar22:

Look all am saying here is that, for example if Barack Obama had mindset that the white people wont give him the chance to rule, he would have lost at the first hurdle but no he saw it differently!!! These are barriers we as blacks all over the world need to get out of our thinking system,  We have so many blacks most of the Afro Carribbean dropping out of school because they think the white wont give them a job so whats the point.

That "white man is trying to bring me down mindset"(especially in America) I have never agreed with that thinking, so I agree with you on that, I don't get it and don't want to because that is a trap white men do to blacks in America and sadly many black americans fall for it, and the ironic part is that they end up being what they complain about; brought down(especially african american men). Since my parents are Nigerian, I was never raised like that, even though I was born in America and experienced racism from white's I never used that as a excuse.

I never knew afro Caribbeans were dropping out of school, I have seen many that are hardworking in school but most of the time they were Haitian(and at times female)

You are right though, blacks need to stop that mindset.

omar22:

We all cried blue murder when Kevin Spacey won the Oscar ahead of Denzil, but when the dust settled and looking at Kevin's performance in American Beauty was fantastic. you have to realize that the Jewish Americans control the film industry in American, they put up most of the funds and they could say who they want in their movies.

True, I never complained about that, both men are good actors but it is true some african americans complained about that, that year; to me it wasn't necessary.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out Rick Ross' Girlfriend / Usain Bolt Thumped His Chest And Laughed Before The Finish Line (pix) / This Quarantine Has Shown That Light-skinned Girls Have No Money- Hushpuppi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.