Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (118055 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 03, 2020
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by drnoel: 2:43pm On Feb 03, 2020
llbhuds:

well said but for the fact that the wage is high is not a justification to make things dat expensive. Scandinavian countries pays very high as well and things are not as expensive as dis. A friend of mine who lives in sweden gets 10pounds on hourly basis and according to research, sweden is payin even less compared to denmark nd norway and you dont have to be an executive to live there (though tax is high).

10 pounds an hour is rather not encouraging, anyways depends his job though
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ikjosh04: 5:29pm On Feb 23, 2020
jay3012:
Wow...miss sweety wat more can I say...thank u very much...uve been of much help to me. I love ur prompt response..God bless u! Wld keep u informed on proceedings...still yet to get ma offer letter though

Good day bro, did you finally make it to Switzerland and how has your experience been if you made it?

I'm thinking of pursuing a graduate study in Switzerland. I studied chemical engineering has my first degree.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by UrekMazino(m): 8:11pm On Mar 23, 2020
I understand that a bank statement of 21000 Swiss has to be shown before granting of Visa at the embassy.
But there are three things I would like to know.

1. Is there going to be a Visa interview at the embassy? Where the Visa officer ask you questions.

2. Just like Germany, will students need to show proof of funds every end of year so as to renew your residence permit?

3. How is hustle like in Switzerland? Generally.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Skymoore1004: 9:46pm On Apr 05, 2020
Please can someone use domiciliary account to show proof of funds or must one have account in Switzerland? How much exactly are you required to show?

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 12:37am On May 01, 2020
Skymoore1004:
Please can someone use domiciliary account to show proof of funds or must one have account in Switzerland? How much exactly are you required to show?
acc in chf myst show 21k chf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 12:39am On May 01, 2020
UrekMazino:
I understand that a bank statement of 21000 Swiss has to be shown before granting of Visa at the embassy.
But there are three things I would like to know.

1. Is there going to be a Visa interview at the embassy? Where the Visa officer ask you questions.

2. Just like Germany, will students need to show proof of funds every end of year so as to renew your residence permit?

3. How is hustle like in Switzerland? Generally.

Thanks!
1. No. but you may be asked generic questions not designed to disqualify you from the process.

2. you need to prove every year you have a certain amount in your acc to be able to renew your premit. differs from canto to canton.

3. people dont hustle. they work. dont mix the two together.

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 12:51am On May 01, 2020
xtus:
Non EU students: All international students will receive a work permit 6 months after their arrival at Switzerland

this is not true...
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 12:52am On May 01, 2020
xtus:
Visa applications from students older than 30 years are normally rejected by the cantonal migration offices........

HOW TRUE IS THIS??

very true...especially fr bachelors
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Cantbeatit20: 7:51pm On May 07, 2020
Okuda:

Please is there age range for Msc students since there is for BSC.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Cantbeatit20: 8:00pm On May 07, 2020
Santino1:

Hey there, apologies for my late response. I have been incredibly busy all year (I still am but I just saw your message and thought you might need urgent answer to help you make the right plans).

Congratulations on your admission. UniBasel is a fantastic school and Basel is a nice, small town with an amazing old feel to it. It is certainly one of my favourite cities. Well, school generally doesn't resume until the third week of September so you still have time. I left Nigeria 8 years ago and my visa application took only 4 days (I don't know how it is these days). Also, usually you can get expedited services if they are aware that you have to resume for school as soon as possible. The Swiss are really very efficient folks.

You don't have to present any TOEFL certificate (at least as far as I know). After you have been granted admission, the administration office will send a couple of documents to you for immigration purposes. And you can always write/call the administration office if you don't have one of the documents requested for by the embassy and they usually transmit the said document directly to the embassy.

Yes, you can have only one sponsor (even outside of family ties). The caveat to that though is that you have to prove that the fund is available to you. Just a letter from your uncle saying he has the money in his account isn't gonna suffice.

I hope it helps. And by the way, if you are still planning to come this year you should start looking for accommodation because beginning of semesters are usually hell.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

P.S. My response might be late and sporadic as I'm still very busy at the moment.

Hi,
Do not know if you are still in Switzerland? I want to apply for Msc in Switzerland next year by God's grace. Is it possible for me to come with my husband? He is coming because he will be working while I study and take care of the kids.
I am supposed to write IELTS or any English proficiency exam before admission can be given?
Is my husband suppose to write any English proficiency exam too?
Thank you
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 11:32pm On May 07, 2020
Cantbeatit20:

Hi,
Do not know if you are still in Switzerland? I want to apply for Msc in Switzerland next year by God's grace. Is it possible for me to come with my husband? He is coming because he will be working while I study and take care of the kids.
I am supposed to write IELTS or any English proficiency exam before admission can be given?
Thank you

is your husband doing the programme too? does he have EU residency? if not forget it..applying as an individual is complicated enough for rejection talkless of what you are proposing at the moment...

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Skymoore1004: 11:45pm On May 07, 2020
As in, I was going to say the same.

That 21,000CHF requirement in a Swiss Acc is already a turn off. Even if I am Abacha grin
Okuda:

is your husband doing the programme too? does he have EU residency? if not forget it..applying as an individual is complicated enough for rejection talkless of what you are proposing at the moment...

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by UrekMazino(m): 5:55pm On May 21, 2020
Okuda:

1. No. but you may be asked generic questions not designed to disqualify you from the process.

2. you need to prove every year you have a certain amount in your acc to be able to renew your premit. differs from canto to canton.

3. people dont hustle. they work. dont mix the two together.
Okay...
Thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Maurice164: 8:23am On May 30, 2020
Helo house I got admission to study masters at university of Fribourg , please I need information's about visa requirements,also to know if the embassy accepts declaration of age, since I dont have birth certificate. Also I dont please which amount minimum is needed to be in ur sponsors statement of account. Finally if there is anybody in uni fribourg please identify with me thanks

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Skymoore1004: 10:44pm On May 30, 2020
Read from page one
Maurice164:
Helo house I got admission to study masters at university of Fribourg , please I need information's about visa requirements,also to know if the embassy accepts declaration of age, since I dont have birth certificate. Also I dont please which amount minimum is needed to be in ur sponsors statement of account. Finally if there is anybody in uni fribourg please identify with me thanks

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 2:49am On May 31, 2020
Cantbeatit20:

Hi,
Thank you

No, I no longer reside in Switzerland. The short answer to your question is NO. Your being married has no bearing on your visa application and if he wants to go to Switzerland with you he'll have to apply independently of your application where he'll be assessed on his application's merit only.
If you read the post you quoted, your English proficiency question has been answered.
Refer to paragraph one. Your husband needing a proficiency exam or not will be contingent upon what he's applying for.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 24, 2020
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Tobiea: 10:29am On Aug 15, 2020
Hello guy, how is life in Switzerland for students? I have the option of choosing between Switzerland (Basel), Czech and Japan for my semester abroad? Can one get a job in Basel, Switzerland easily??

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by twinklestardiva: 11:55am On Aug 16, 2020
Pls,I would like to get internship in Switzerland although I'm a Civil Engineering student of FUTA, Nigeria..I don't know if this is possible but I'm really optimistic..if there's a possibility,I would really like to know...Thanks in advance
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Koladeisaac400: 2:06pm On Aug 30, 2020
Hey please can I have your email or something there's a lotta things I want to know I'm planning on coming over to Swiss to study thanks

Just to be clear: Dutch is actually the language spoken in the Netherland, so nothing to do with German/Deutsch which is spoken in Germany and Switzerland.

I am from the French part of Switzerland, I've lived in many places. I have finished my studies at the universities of Lausanne (B.A.) and Fribourg (M.A) and I'm currently doing an internship in Geneva.

The education in Switzerland is of very high quality. It is free from kindergarten until high school. The best universities are the polytechnic schools of Zurich and Lausanne. Universities are not expensive (around $500-700 per semester) but the costs of living are very high, insurance, food, etc. There are many scholarship opportunities from universities or other private institutions. I know that the Swiss goverment offers scholarship too, but I'm not sure if it's only for some countries. Students can also get financial aid from their canton to cover the university and living expenses costs, but I am not sure if foreign students can apply.

Major cities such as Zurich and Geneva you will always find people speaking there. There is a big international community in Geneva mainly formed by UN and other NGOs staff.

Climate is very cold, usually you get snow almost everywhere during winter! People are more private than in the neighborhing countries, so sometimes foreigners might not feel very welcomed. There is also racism like in many other places. Otherwise, it's very clean, public services are very efficient and what can I say more, it's my country so I just like living there ;-) (though actually I don't live there anymore because it's too expensive for me)
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by aladedotun(m): 10:21am On Sep 17, 2020
Kindly PM.
I dey dat side sha
Visa requirements are straightforward, as you can see on their embassy's website.
But, remember to put your "explanations" in French or German, to prevent story that touches.

Unifriborg is a cool place, congratulations!

Like others have said CHF21k for you, as minimum.

Need more info?
PM
I'll gladly respond

Maurice164:
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by joshujoshu(m): 1:06am On Sep 18, 2020
aladedotun:
Kindly PM.
I dey dat side sha
Visa requirements are straightforward, as you can see on their embassy's website.
But, remember to put your "explanations" in French or German, to prevent story that touches.

Unifriborg is a cool place, congratulations!

Like others have said CHF21k for you, as minimum.

Need more info?
PM
I'll gladly respond

Please I need help. I sent you a PM

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by aladedotun(m): 8:40am On Sep 20, 2020
I already replied you brother!
Did you see my message?

joshujoshu:

Please I need help. I sent you a PM
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 03, 2020
Please are there any undergraduate scholarships available for Nigerians like me?
Santino1:

, I no longer reside in Switzerland. The short answer to your question is NO. Your being married has no bearing on your visa application and if he wants to go to Switzerland with you he'll have to apply independently of your application where he'll be assessed on his application's merit only.
If you read the post you quoted, your English proficiency question has been answered.
Refer to paragraph one. Your husband needing a proficiency exam or not will be contingent upon what he's applying for.
Good luck.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by codekagei: 9:27am On Oct 13, 2020
Hi guys, please I am about applying for student visa and i wanted to ask some questions. I don't have IELTS and my TOEFL has expired January this year. I have proof of English Proficciency from my University, does anybody know if this document will be sufficient enough to make up for the lack of IELTS or TOEFL? Looking forward to your replies.

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by overdose4g: 9:28pm On Dec 13, 2020
Okuda:

Hi what website could be the best to search for an accommodation?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by overdose4g: 9:31pm On Dec 13, 2020
codekagei:
Hi guys, please I am about applying for student visa and i wanted to ask some questions. I don't have IELTS and my TOEFL has expired January this year. I have proof of English Proficciency from my University, does anybody know if this document will be sufficient enough to make up for the lack of IELTS or TOEFL? Looking forward to your replies.
The proficiency should be ok, at least if that’s the language of instruction in your planned school? What cities are you looking at? And what school?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by FloraNG1219: 10:31pm On Dec 13, 2020
Okuda:
I have almost gone through travel section and I have not seen a thread for nigerians living/ studying in switzerland. I decided to create this thread, please share your experiences, the scul u applied to, how you got your visa, the questions asked by vo and so on and forth, and also nigerians living in switzerland. I'm in bern and would like to meet fellow nigerians like myself here. share your experiences please,

Hello, I just got admitted to a school in Geneva. I’ll like to know about the housing system. Is there a website that enables one search for accommodation.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Rappen: 11:09pm On Dec 30, 2020
aladedotun:
I already replied you brother!
Did you see my message?

Please sir I need to ask some questions
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Rappen: 11:10pm On Dec 30, 2020
Please guys in the house, am looking at applying to fribourg or Geneva please which one is cheaper in terms of cost of living and getting a job and am guaranted of getting an admission

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.