Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,627 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (28169 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch / Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by babaowo: 1:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
This is not time for this folks!!! Lets be united to face the termites of this nation, let's be 1 if just for this season God bless.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
the problem of Nigeria is that Nigerians talk at random. No idea b4 talking.
IM NOT FROM IGBO BUT I CAN ASSURE U THAT IGBO IS THE MOST POPULAR NIGERIA LANGUAGE IN ABROAD COS THEY DONT SPEAK ENGLISH WHEREVER THEY GO.

I HAVE SET MY FOOT VIRTUALLY IN ALL CONTINENTS IN THE WORLD EXCEPT NORTH AMERICA, "UDO DI" IS NIGERIA SECOND NATION ANTHEM.
WE GOT NO CHOICE THAN TO BE USED TO THE LANGUAGE "UDO DI". IGBOS ARE EVERYWHERE INCLUDING AFGHANISTAN.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by lovelyS(m): 1:54pm On Jan 07, 2012

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by EgbonOlu: 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
Andre Uweh: The only country in this World where the Yorubas travel more than Ndigbo is the U.K.
                   Even the Edos, Ibibios and Urhobos travel out of Nigeria more than the Yorubas.

Despite the writer's apology that no one should crusify him, I am surprise at "Andre Uweh". After-all, what we have here is just an opinion and no one is claiming it to be a fact,
, at the end, Andre finally showed how intelligent he is by combining and comparing three little tribes like the Edos, Ibibios and Urhobos with Yorubas. So funny. Yea, the Edos travel very well indeed, they are professionals in Italy.
I beg, we need intelligent posters here !

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Diligence: 2:07pm On Jan 07, 2012
Yoruba's don't go anywhere beyond Lagos, and that explains why they're so linguistically poor. Outside of Nigeria, Igbo language is most influential. In short anywhere Onye Igbo no dey in this world, don't tread!
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by slam7000(m): 2:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
its nt unsual to hear a british say bawoni to you if u identify yourself as a nigerian.thats the impact of yoruba language here but its different if u go elsewhere.how many people here has been to east africa,kenya,uganda,tanzani,malawi.there are lots of igbos there,infact hilbrow south africa is just like another alaba mkt,ladipo and mushin for the igbos.tens of thousands.lots of south africans women are called names like mama Emeka or mama chidi.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by MrWhy1(m): 2:13pm On Jan 07, 2012
Hausa and Igbo. Full stop.

Why do Yoruba's always like to give themselves credit for nothing?

Yoruba's are only in London.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by candylips(m): 2:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
someone has forgotten swahili
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by slam7000(m): 2:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
take a trip to rio de janeiro,brazil or even the rest of latin america.visit malaysia,vietnam,singapore,seoul in south korea,u,ll be amazed how many igbos or even Ghounzhou china.back to west africa,hausa might be popular but igbos dominate businesses in ghana,cote de voire,senegal.i knows lots of people who speak french and local language of guinea bissau,senegal and gambia.igbos are popular there.the local mix easily with these guys cos they watch nigeria movies and identify with osuofia,late sam loco,aki and  pawpaw.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by ak47mann(m): 2:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
But why did they use igbo language in a hollywood movie xmen,when wolverine went to Nigeria,if u were a foreigner and watch that movie you will think Nigeria speaks only igbo language,

so i don't buy that from OP cool
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Donmichaelz(m): 2:42pm On Jan 07, 2012
YORUBA YORUBA YORUBA NONI O OOO O LANGUAGE BABA GOD NONI, HATERS SHALANG LEMA KUSI grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Donmichaelz(m): 2:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
THERE ARE 2 LANGUAGE IN NIGERIA-------------------------------YORUBA AND OTHERS[color=#770077][/color] cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by bilaya(m): 2:47pm On Jan 07, 2012
The Yorubas only travel to the UK.That is where travelling begins and ends for them.The Igbo population alone in Houston and Atlanta are more than the Yoruba population in d UK.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by bilaya(m): 2:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
Mr--Why:

Hausa and Igbo. Full stop.

Why do Yoruba's always like to give themselves credit for nothing?

Yoruba's are only in London.

Please help me tell them.They are only in London and nowhere else.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by swezenberg(m): 2:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
It is true that for any song to sell in Nigeria there must be a bit of Yoruba in it. Most artiste in Nigeria find it hard to sell without chipping in Yoruba. I think this can be attributed to the ease of learning the language and the fact that it blends with the modern music of today. May be I should consider the fact that most artiste gain their popularity in the predominantly Yoruba region-Lagos

For the number of Yorubas out there I don't know but all I know is that I have met a lotof Yorubas and Igbos in the state. The Yorubas are very inelligent while the igbos are enterprising.

As for the Hausas, I don't know much

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by odumchi: 3:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
swezenberg:

It is true that for any song to sell in Nigeria there must be a bit of Yoruba in it. Most artiste in Nigeria find it hard to sell without chipping in Yoruba. I think this can be attributed to the ease of learning the language and the fact that it blends with the modern music of today. May be I should consider the fact that most artiste gain their popularity in the predominantly Yoruba region-Lagos

For the number of Yorubas out there I don't know but all I know is that I have met a lotof Yorubas and Igbos in the state. The Yorubas are very inelligent while the igbos are enterprising.

Lol.
Are you sure about the bolded? None of Flavour's songs have any Yoruba in them so what attributed to their popularity? P-Square and African China don't record in Yoruba so why have they consistently produced hit songs? I'm also sure that you have heard the Flavour song "Ashawo" which is one of Nigeria's most popular songs to date. It has no Yoruba so why is it popular? I'm also sure you've heard "Sweet Mother" by Prince Nico Mbarga. It's also Africa's most popular song but guess what? It has no Yoruba.

I could name many more songs that don't fit your category of what a "song that sells" is. I continue to urge people not to make enveloping statements about Nigeria until they have been everywhere and done everything in this country.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by sheyguy: 3:14pm On Jan 07, 2012
I had the feeling that the yorubas' noisy neighbor will eventually turn this into we-versus-them e-struggle.
Lagos, London, and jo'burg are relatively neutral places that can be used to compare leading tribes in Africa.
Swahili, hausa, igbo, Ashanti, amongs others to compare.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 3:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
swezenberg:

The bolded is a plural lie.
Some of the non Yorubas who add in Yoruba into their songs are the one who reside in Lagos or was raised in Lagos. Musicians east of the Niger do not add any Yoruba to their songs and they sale million copies. Does Sunny Bobo add Yoruba to his music?. How about Ababa Nna, Omega Boy, Saro Wiwa Wis boy, Don Tom, Agbaso, Bracket etc.
In a related development, Yorubas who have added Igbo to their songs have sold millions of copies e.g D-Banj' Igwe song as well as Midnight crew's gospel song Igwe. Check it out.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by HighChief4(m): 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
And how did this make it to the front page
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by sheyguy: 3:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

The bolded is a plural lie.
Some of the non Yorubas who add in Yoruba into their songs are the one who reside in Lagos or was raised in Lagos. Musicians east of the Niger do not add any Yoruba to their songs and they sale million copies. Does Sunny Bobo add Yoruba to his music?. How about Ababa Nna, Omega Boy, Saro Wiwa Wis boy, Don Tom, Agbaso, Bracket etc.
In a related development, Yorubas who have added Igbo to their songs have sold millions of copies e.g D-Banj' Igwe song as well as Midnight crew's gospel song Igwe. Check it out.

u forgot sunny nneji, mike okri. D'banj u mentioned rendered the full song in Ibo/pidgin. Virtually every group uses yoruba more often.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by kizito96(m): 4:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
I say a big YES
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by akigbemaru: 4:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
There can never be any African religion or Language that will ever dominate Yoruba language in this world again.
There are over 480 million followers in the world rightnow. They have over 26 million video clips on just Youtube for the world to see.
This lady in the clip was from Peurto Rico, practicing Santeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pyL2CGrSw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL3297828D5DB0A52E

I wont focus on Yorubas in London or other many places. I will focus on the ones in South and North Americas where Yoruba religion and culture formed shaped the crux of their lives.
In North America during slavery, Yoruba talking drum aka Bata was outlawed for its efficacy for revolts.
In South America, the aztec culture which was a fussion of Yoruba religion.

This is a clip of Santeria rite in Florida:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyoxhA4ZBD0&feature=related

The religion act gave the Santeria upper in USA, despites occational lawsuits from animal rights.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by akigbemaru: 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2012
Yoruba produced the one and only African village in the whole America "Oyotunji" go check you facts (it covers about 120km).

Apart from Virginal where Ibo people built on just half plot of land to remember your ibo people tha had worked sometimes ago in Virginal. Name one place where they celebrate ibo culture in USA?

There are places where Yoruba culture has strong holds.

The new age of Yoruba beliefs have risen, in the US, in the last century due to the influx of Puerto Rican and Cuban immigrants to the US. The most common form, Santeria, is a mix of Yoruba beliefs and Catholicism and brings the Ifa deities, music, dances and rites with it.))

In America, the largest of shrines of any tribes other than whites. E.g. New York:
Temple of YORUBA/ORISA’IFA just in USA
South Carolina: Oyotunji Village (The one and only largest African Village in the whole USA. It covers about (120 km), when you get to the entrance it reads: You are now leaving USA, welcome to “OYOTUNJI VILLAGE” we greet you in the name of our ancestors!).
California: Ijo Orunmila, Ile Orunmila, and Awo Study Center
Florida: Ile Orunmila Temple, Ife Ile, Church of Lukumi Illinois: Ile Ifa Jalumi, Ile Osikan, Egbe Imole Agbon Iwosan
New York: Ile Ase, Lukumi Church
Tennessee Mimo Anago Ile Oshun
Charleston: Elequa
Texas: Ile Olokun
Virginia Ile Oyigigi Ojuba Orisa AKAN
Georgia: Akan Spiritual United Order
Maryland: Nyame Dua: Shrine House for Spiritual Healing
New York: Obaatanpa N’Abosum Fie
Pennsylvania: Adade Kofi Bosomfie Sankofa, Asona Aberade Shrine, Inc. Washington D.C. Onipa Abusia, Asomdwee Fie,
Shrine of the Abosom and Nsamanfo KEMETIC
Washington DC Region,
Florida: Ausar Auset Society Orlando Study Group
Maryland: Baltimore Branch of the
Ausar Auset Society International Pennsylvania: Ausar Auset Society in Philadelphia
Washington D.C. Ausar Auset Society
Washington, DC .“

The largest also in South America, from Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobbago e.t.c

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by akigbemaru: 4:56pm On Jan 07, 2012
What about the largest voodoo culture in USA from Louisiana, that won the superbowl for New Orleans Saints: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Voodoo
A lot of people would think it's a Dahomey Voodoo religion. But the practice "Legba" a deity from Abeokuta and history had it that Oyo Empire was once colonized Dahomey until Portugists intrusion.

Just like Ibo people claimed they set Haiti free and they their people, come to find out they practised Esu religion a form of Yoruba deity.
Just like Ibo people claimed their people are mainly West Indies, come to find out they practised Osun religion a form of Yoruba deity. Which is so deep and they make 100% of their religious chants and praises in Yoruba despite they maily speak Spanish.
The truth is all South Americans shared are mainly Yoruba.
Fidel Castro of Cuba, once said to the world he practiced Santeria
Chavez of Venesuala, once said to the world he practiced another form ofSanteria, where they use "Iya mi osoronga" in their incantations.
Jennifer Lopez of Puerto Rico, has no other religion than Santeria
Carloz Santana of Columbia, the great guitarist has no other form of praises than praising Shango.

Oshun cultural troupe groups bring nothing less than 10 billions yearly for showcasing their culture (dancing and praising in Yoruba the healing potent of Shango and Oshun).
What more can I say millions of evidence out there.

Check cultural antique:
Bata is the most talked about drum from African tradition to the world at large
Shekere aka tambourine is the most out of Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by begwong: 5:15pm On Jan 07, 2012
@OP,HAUSA is the language not any yoruba nor igbo.Do u know that hausa has transmissions broadcast in USA(VOA),BRITAIN(BBC),CHINA(CR),GERMANY(DW) and FRANCE(RFI)? Never heard of any other naija language with much overseas stations compared to that of the aboki's
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Eltonluigi(m): 5:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
Another self-centered Yoruba!
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by omowolewa: 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
Talking of most populous Language in Africa, Swahili is popular than any other language. However, Yoruba kingdom spans beyond Nigeria and southwestern geopolitical scope. Also, Lagos colony as an easy route for the colonial master, adoption of Lagos (then) as Capital and Lagos as commercial HQ of Nigeria today has helped adoption of Yoruba Language both locally and internationally. Talking about parttern of traveling, nobody has good statistical record to backup the fact that one tribe travels than the other. But we know Brazilians, some part of Cuba and some other nations speak Yoruba; that doesn't mean other Nigerian languages are backward.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 07, 2012

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by basadenet: 6:28pm On Jan 07, 2012
yes, because it is the most easiest language to understand.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by dayokanu(m): 6:32pm On Jan 07, 2012
ak47mann:

But why did they use igbo language in a hollywood movie xmen,when wolverine went to Nigeria,if u were a foreigner and watch that movie you will think Nigeria speaks only igbo language,

so i don't buy that from OP cool

Did you watch Phat Girls?

odumchi:

Lol.
Are you sure about the bolded? None of Flavour's songs have any Yoruba in them so what attributed to their popularity? P-Square and African China don't record in Yoruba so why have they consistently produced hit songs? I'm also sure that you have heard the Flavour song "Ashawo" which is one of Nigeria's most popular songs to date. It has no Yoruba so why is it popular? I'm also sure you've heard "Sweet Mother" by Prince Nico Mbarga. It's also Africa's most popular song but guess what? It has no Yoruba.

I could name many more songs that don't fit your category of what a "song that sells" is. I continue to urge people not to make enveloping statements about Nigeria until they have been everywhere and done everything in this country.

P square? Have you heard of their song Omoge mi before?

How many people would know African China outside of Nigeria

I heard that till date the most popular Nigerian musician ever are Fela and Sunny Ade who was even nominated for a grammy

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by dayokanu(m): 6:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
bilaya:

The Yorubas only travel to the UK.That is where travelling begins and ends for them.The Igbo population alone in Houston and Atlanta are more than the Yoruba population in d UK.

WHy dont you talk about what you know?

Which Houston? I cant even say the Ibos outnumber Yorubas in Houston to start with

And for the person who mentioned Edo, Urhobo and Ibibio are you taking a piss?

The Population of Yorubas in UK alone would outnumber all the Ibibios or Urhobos alive

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 07, 2012
odumchi:

Lol.

Isn't "Ashawo" a corruption of Yoruba word Asewo, meaning LovePeddler?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emir of Bauchi's Brother, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, Found Dead (Photos) / Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos) / Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.