Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time (1052 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by eteteuduak(m): 4:07pm On Oct 05, 2007
Edson Arantes do Nascimento Aka 'Pele' is the greatest footballer of all time. A couple of times i hear this stupid debate about Maradona been bigger than Pele but it is all a lie. Just read what other great footballers had to say about the king himself.

Oncemore Edson Arantes do Nascimento Aka 'Pele' is the greatest footballer of all time.

"He could shoot with his left, with his right, and he had such vision that as soon as he got the ball he already knew what he was going to do with it. He was extraordinary."
Paolo Amaral, Brazil's fitness trainer at the1958 FIFA World Cup TM.

"He was such a talented player with great control and vision - he read the game and he read positions. He had an arrogance but not in a bad way. He was a great player so why shouldn't he strut a little bit."
Bobby Charlton, England legend who played against Pele at the 1970 FIFA World Cup.

"We felt very good before the tournament. Pele was saying that we were going to win, and if Pele was saying that, then we were going to win the World Cup."
Carlos Alberto, Brazil's 1970 FIFA World Cup-winning captain

This debate about the player of the century is absurd. There's only one possible answer: Pele. He's the greatest player of all time, and by some distance I might add.
Zico, legendary attacking midfielder who represented Brazil at the 1978, 1982 and 1986 FIFA World Cups.

"When the World Cup came around, I had to find myself a new position in the team. There was no question that the No10 shirt belonged to Pele, the greatest player on the planet. As I was no Pele, I moved out to the left. He was the complete player: he had two great feet, unbeatable ball control, and was ruthless in front of goal."
Mario Zagallo, a team-mate of Pele's at the 1958 and 1962 FIFA World Cups and his coach at Mexico 1970.

"Pele is the greatest player of all time. He reigned supreme for 20 years. All the others - Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini - rank beneath him. There's no one to compare with Pele.
Franz Beckenbauer, West Germany's 1974 FIFA World Cup-winning captain who played alongside Pele for New York Cosmos.
"I was never one for idols. That said, I'm a good Brazilian and so it's only inevitable I look up to Pele. He's like a God to us - well, he is to me anyway. I think instead of calling the game football, we should call it Pele.
Romario, Brazilian striker who won the FIFA World Cup and the adidas Golden Ball in 1994.

Though we've never really got along, I have to admit that, as a player, he was the best. I've always said, and I'll say it again: I can't compare myself to him.
Diego Maradona, Argentina legend and 1986 FIFA World Cup-winning captain.

When Pele scored the fifth goal in that Final, I have to be honest and say I felt like applauding."
Sigvard Parling, member of the Sweden side that lost to Brazil in the 1958 FIFA World Cup Final.

"Before the match, I told myself that Pele was just flesh and bones like the rest of us. Later I realised I'd been wrong."
Tarcisio Burgnich, Italy defender who competed against Pele in the 1970 FIFA World Cup Final.
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by MP007(m): 4:07am On Oct 07, 2007
pele aint the best footballer of all-time, he played in south america and the american league(now mls) of all places, DIEGO maradona is the best soocer player ever, he played in euro dang it, pele didnt play european soccer,
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by MP007(m): 4:09am On Oct 07, 2007
pele aint the best footballer of all-time, he played in south america and the american league(now mls) of all places, DIEGO maradona is the best soocer player ever, he played in euro dang it, pele didnt play european soccer,
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by eteteuduak(m): 3:09pm On Oct 09, 2007
Just read what Diego Maradona said about the 'O rei'

For your information i downloaded this from FIFA.COM

eDSON aRANTES DO nASCIMENTO the greatest footballer of our time
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by dayokanu(m): 7:51am On Oct 10, 2007
Maradona was only trying to be modest. pele won the world cup with an all star team, Gerson, Jairzinho, Tostao, Carlos Alberto, Zagallo and half of the Brazilian team then were superstars but Maradona made that team that won the world cup in 1986.

According to football pundits just 2 players have won the world cup Single handedly Diego Maradona and Garrincha 1962
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by eteteuduak(m): 9:56am On Oct 10, 2007
dayokanu:

Maradona was only trying to be modest. pele won the world cup with an all star team, Gerson, Jairzinho, Tostao, Carlos Alberto, Zagallo and half of the Brazilian team then were superstars but Maradona made that team that won the world cup in 1986.

According to football pundits just 2 players have won the world cup Single handedly Diego Maradona and Garrincha 1962

This is crap!! Have you forgotten that Pele the "O Rei" Won the world cup three times??

Are you to speak for Maradona

Maradona spoke for himself, try and speak for yourself.
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by MP007(m): 2:09am On Oct 11, 2007
pele didnt play top flight club soccer, duh! grin
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by MP007(m): 2:10am On Oct 11, 2007
pele didnt play top flight club soccer, duh! grin, and point of correction, pele didnt win 3 world cups, he was part of the team that won, ok!
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by lswmh: 2:16pm On Oct 12, 2007
there have been many players that can be compared to maradona(garrincha, di stefano to name a couple) but none has been close to the quality of Pele.

I hear all the time that maradona played in europe, in italy with tight defences etc etc. and pele was surrounded by great teamates like garrincha, tostao, gerson and so on.

yes but i want to remind you that whenever pele played against european teams(may it be intercont. cup, world tours, world cup finals) he completely humiliated them! Benfica and Milan should remember in 1962, 1963! maradona may have won a world cup with his skill in 1986 but people seem to forget that he also LOST 3 OTHER WORLD CUPS. (82, 90, 94) his skill was not enough always. he still needed to use his hand to get argentina past england in 1986 world cup! a truly top player does not need to do such things, to cheat. his skill is more than enough.
Pele won all the world cups were he participated and not viciously injured like in 1966. nearly all the people who have seen both Pele and maradona live on the stadium and throughout their careers conclude that Pele is truly the best.

pele could anything maradona could do, but maradona could not many thing pele did. what pele achieved was superhuman! which other player in history stayed at the top of world football for almost 20 years??! surpasing by far in achievements all his great contemporaries like Garrincha, rivelino, tostao, Muller, beckenbauer, Charlton, George Best, mazzola, Jairzinho, Eusebio. Pele played also in times were strikers were not protected at all by referees and such, were yellow cards did not exist.

who did maradona compete against? rummenige? valdano? litbarsky? Lineker? or was his achievements in serie A and european football better than Platini, or Van Basten for example? i dont think so.
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by eteteuduak(m): 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2007
lswmh:

there have been many players that can be compared to maradona(garrincha, di stefano to name a couple) but none has been close to the quality of Pele.

I hear all the time that maradona played in europe, in italy with tight defences etc etc. and pele was surrounded by great teamates like garrincha, tostao, gerson and so on.

yes but i want to remind you that whenever pele played against european teams(may it be intercont. cup, world tours, world cup finals) he completely humiliated them! Benfica and Milan should remember in 1962, 1963! maradona may have won a world cup with his skill in 1986 but people seem to forget that he also LOST 3 OTHER WORLD CUPS. (82, 90, 94) his skill was not enough always. he still needed to use his hand to get argentina past england in 1986 world cup! a truly top player does not need to do such things, to cheat. his skill is more than enough.
Pele won all the world cups were he participated and not viciously injured like in 1966. nearly all the people who have seen both Pele and maradona live on the stadium and throughout their careers conclude that Pele is truly the best.

pele could anything maradona could do, but maradona could not many thing pele did. what pele achieved was superhuman! which other player in history stayed at the top of world football for almost 20 years??! surpasing by far in achievements all his great contemporaries like Garrincha, rivelino, tostao, Muller, beckenbauer, Charlton, George Best, mazzola, Jairzinho, Eusebio. Pele played also in times were strikers were not protected at all by referees and such, were yellow cards did not exist.

who did maradona compete against? rummenige? valdano? litbarsky? Lineker? or was his achievements in serie A and european football better than Platini, or Van Basten for example? i don't think so.

Thank you so much for this insightful piece. Pele is truly the 'O Rei' of football!!!!!!
Re: Pele The Greatest Footballer Of All Time by akinalabi(m): 7:41pm On Oct 16, 2007
eteteuduak:

Thank you so much for this insightful piece. Pele is truly the 'O Rei' of football!!!!!!

Don't tell that to any Argentinian.

Akin

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Your Best Ever Liverpool FC Player? / Premiership Injury Room / RIP PELE Is Trending On Twitter....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.