Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,507 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? (1622 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by supoade: 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2012
The truth is: If the FG know those who have fleeced the state and refuse to bring them to justice, then the FG is telling us that we do not have a government that can protect and defend our laws! This I call modern day madness in governance!

wonderful stament bro!

Why is Beaf suddenly off air ?
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by DRANOEL(m): 3:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
supoade:

wonderful stament bro!

Why is Beaf suddenly off air ?

and you wonder why people in nnpc,pppra,dpr and co are fat cats!

@omo_tier
noted
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by supoade: 4:07pm On Jan 05, 2012
and you wonder why people in nnpc,pppra,dpr and co are fat cats!

Hmmm

The real CATEL are the ones in NNPC,PPRA, DPR supervised by same Federal Goverment

FG cannnot go after PMS smugglers accross boarders but can come after Nigerians to pay more

FG is giving us conflicting figures on our local daily consumption 32M litres, 35M Litres

THE BIG QUESTIONS,
, BE  IT 32M OR 35M LITRES, HOW DID THEY ARRIVE AT N1.3tr
, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO LOCALLY REFINED PMS
, ARE THE SMUGGLERS USING  4 LTR CAN TO SMUGGLE ACROSS BOARDERS

BEAF OVER TO YOU!
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by muami(m): 4:08pm On Jan 05, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Every FG agency that 'monitor' and report back what the MOMs and IPMs expend on importation of PMS are agency under the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, but the final payment is done via accounts held by NNPC because NNPC is authorized in law to do oil business on behalf of the Nigerian nation. So the fuel subsidy is actually deducted at source from the sales of crude oil, hence the reason they have been able to expend over N1tn unbudgeted funds on subsidy scam!

The CBN only gets the paper work from NNPC, then authorize the payments to these "oil" importers,  the CBN does not know how NNPC has arrived at the sums, as really that is barely the job of the CBN,  but of course,  you know how Nigeria works,  those guys in NNPC would make provision for the guys in CBN so that when discripancies are spotted, blind eyes are paid to it and the 'business as usual' thingy carrys on!

The truth is: If the FG know those who have fleeced the state and refuse to bring them to justice, then the FG is telling us that we do not have a government that can protect and defend our laws! This I call modern day madness in governance!

Thanks for clarifying your point. However, it goes further to support the argument I am making that the NLC ( and indeed TUC) are a major part of the problem. The staff of CBN, NNPC, DPR etc you have mentioned are all part of the labour unions and as you rightly noted the collect their share and turn a blind eye. Now they want Nigerians to join them to protest to maintain this fraud?

The other key question you ( and indeed many Nigerians) have asked is why the govt has not brought these people to book.
There is merit in this question. However, I am sure you have seen cases where doctors advice patients to amputate their arms/legs rather than continuing treatment. Why? because at at times it is better to remove the root/structural cause of a disease than continue to treat it. That is the way fuel subsidy is( if we want to ignore the economic/sustainability case for it). In other words, take the sugar away and the ants would disappear.

Do you know what happen if the govt decides to take the second option? i would tell you. From the huge profits the culprits have made, they would bribe the investigators, compromise the investigations, bribe the lawyers for the govt. bribe the judge to at least delay the trial as many EFCC case have, bribe people to stage protests for them during the trial, bribe some journalists to make propaganda on their behalf etc, at the end of the day, govt ( the new govt, that is) would be forced into a political solution,the whole matter be swept under the carpet and it would be business as usual until Nigeria collapses.
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 05, 2012
muami:

Thanks for clarifying your point. However, it goes further to support the argument I am making that the NLC ( and indeed TUC) are a major part of the problem. The staff of CBN, NNPC, DPR etc you have mentioned are all part of the labour unions and as you rightly noted the collect their share and turn a blind eye. Now they want Nigerians to join them to protest to maintain this fraud?

The other key question you ( and indeed many Nigerians) have asked is why the govt has not brought these people to book.
There is merit in this question. However, I am sure you have seen cases where doctors advice patients to amputate their arms/legs rather than continuing treatment. Why? because at at times it is better to remove the root/structural cause of a disease than continue to treat it. That is the way fuel subsidy is( if we want to ignore the economic/sustainability case for it). In other words, take the sugar away and the ants would disappear.

Do you know what happen if the govt decides to take the second option? i would tell you. From the huge profits the culprits have made, they would bribe the investigators, compromise the investigations, bribe the lawyers for the govt. bribe the judge to at least delay the trial as many EFCC case have, bribe people to stage protests for them during the trial, bribe some journalists to make propaganda on their behalf etc, at the end of the day, govt ( the new govt, that is) would be forced into a political solution,the whole matter be swept under the carpet and it would be business as usual until Nigeria collapses.  

+1000. I could not have have said it better!
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by aljharem3: 4:44pm On Jan 05, 2012
kalokalo:

+1000. I could not have have said it better!

Take the sugar away and the ants would disappear but the honey has been used to replace the sugar while you could have saved the honey to drink tea. You have lost both the sugar and honey.

I have you had a good think about it ?

1. NNPC still buying from this people

2. Prices are deregulated thus they can tell NNPC 500 Naira per liter and NNPC would have no choice but to buy

3. Since the deregulation of diesel has the sector improved ?

4. During the removal of subsidy in agriculture, did the FG not build a chemical plant in port harcourt. Why cannot the FG build a refinary in Nigeria before the removal.

SMDH

5. Why is the FG telling us 1.3 trilion when it is actually 900 billion according to there words but the actual price during yaradua is 400 billion

do you care to explain that ?

SMH
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by DRANOEL(m): 4:56pm On Jan 05, 2012
help me ask, a simple audit of the oil industry would have saved the country 100's of billions of naira yet our prime minister(iweala) chose the easy path

alj_harem:

Take the sugar away and the ants would disappear but the honey has been used to replace the sugar while you could have saved the honey to drink tea. You have lost both the sugar and honey.

2. Price
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by muami(m): 4:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
alj_harem:

2. Prices are deregulated thus they can tell NNPC 500 Naira per liter and NNPC would have no choice but to buy

3. Since the deregulation of diesel has the sector improved ?

4. During the removal of subsidy in agriculture, did the FG not build a chemical plant in port harcourt. Why cannot the FG build a refinary in Nigeria before the removal.

SMDH

5. Why is the FG telling us 1.3 trilion when it is actually 900 billion according to there words but the actual price during yaradua is 400 billion

do you care to explain that ?

SMH

1 and 2. Under deregulation, even you can apply for a licence to import fuel from anywhere in the world and sell directly in Nigeria.
3. Diesel is not a sector, it is a product. subsidy was removed for diesel and there has DEFINITELY been an improvement in the availability abd pricing of diesel.
4. Where is the fertilizer company now? I would tell you. It DIED, LIQUIDATED and sold to PRIVATE investors. I'm sure you are not suggesting that we should continue to make the same mistake.
5. Whether 400, 900 or 1 trillion, money is being wasted. In any event, the fact that in Yaradua'v regime, it was 400, does not mean that it cannot increase or decrease. The amount varies according to the price of oil in the international market. Last year was exceptionally bad because of the high price caused by the Arab spring.
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 05, 2012
@muami

what backward planet did you jump from? at the time nigeria's 2011 budget was passed a barrel of crude was 117 usd while we benchmarked 65 usd in the event of price fluctuations. meaning we were making more than we were budgeting for! now in reverse, at 117 usd our benchmark for buying the refined product which has to be budgeted for would be way higher in case of fluctuations. unfortunately because of the can of worms involved no one wants to give us this figure.

Theses are basics man,don't go about writing gibberish
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by aljharem3: 5:20pm On Jan 05, 2012
muami:

1 and 2. Under deregulation, even you can apply for a licence to import fuel from anywhere in the world and sell directly in Nigeria.
3. Diesel is not a sector, it is a product. subsidy was removed for diesel and there has DEFINITELY been an improvement in the availability abd pricing of diesel.
4. Where is the fertilizer company now? I would tell you. It DIED, LIQUIDATED and sold to PRIVATE investors. I'm sure you are not suggesting that we should continue to make the same mistake.
5. Whether 400, 900 or 1 trillion, money is being wasted. In any event, the fact that in Yaradua'v regime, it was 400, does not mean that it cannot increase or decrease. The amount varies according to the price of oil in the international market. Last year was exceptionally bad because of the high price caused by the Arab spring.

My brother to be honest my phone is very warm now and I am tired of repeating the same thing over and over and over again. I don tire

Please No one is against subsidy, We are against the timing and the non-infrastructure of the country before the removal

Ogini me rigi ?
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by muami(m): 5:23pm On Jan 05, 2012
torkaka:

@muami

what backward planet did you jump from? at the time nigeria's 2011 budget was passed a barrel of crude was 117 usd while we benchmarked 65 usd in the event of price fluctuations. meaning we were making more than we were budgeting for! now in reverse, at 117 usd our benchmark for buying the refined product which has to be budgeted for would be way higher in case of fluctuations. unfortunately because of the can of worms involved no one wants to give us this figure.

Theses are basics man,don't go about writing gibberish

The benchmark for crude oil has nothing to do with the amount paid for fuel subsidy. The benchmark is a projection used by govt to estimate its revenue while the amount paid on sudsidy reflects the actual cost of the product. In other words, yes we made more than what we budgeted for but the bulk of the excess is then used to reduce the price of fuel for Nigerians in the form of subsidy. That is the basic/elementary argument for the removal of fuel subsidy whch everyone knows and understands except you!
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 05, 2012
@muami

men you amaze me! what do you think a budget is? so if you want to buy a cow and in ten days prior to your buying it its price jumps between 10 and 20 naira what price would you budget? well a good economics would place the price at 30naira. thats why contract figures have what you call contingencies. your post has exposed more of the dumbness in you
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by muami(m): 5:59pm On Jan 05, 2012
torkaka:

@muami

men you amaze me! what do you think a budget is? so if you want to buy a cow and in ten days prior to your buying it its price jumps between 10 and 20 naira what price would you budget? well a good economics would place the price at 30naira. thats why contract figures have what you call contingencies. your post has exposed more of the dumbness in you

Thank you Mr 'good economics'.
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 05, 2012
muami:

Thank you Mr 'good economics'.

a simple typing error but i guess your arrogance wouldn't let you see that,like some one said earlier if you have proof of our consumption going above 35million liters spit it out if not shut it. you seem to know more than govt itself that has not even followed your line of thought,you are here talking average! so if 200million liter is impoted in a momth how do you gauge when there is shortage and then know the exact number to bring again? go back and read about budgets mumu
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by muami(m): 6:50pm On Jan 05, 2012
torkaka:

a simple typing error but i guess your arrogance wouldn't let you see that,like some one said earlier if you have proof of our consumption going above 35million liters spit it out if not shut it. you seem to know more than govt itself that has not even followed your line of thought,you are here talking average! so if 200million liter is impoted in a momth how do you gauge when there is shortage and then know the exact number to bring again? gibleo back and read about budgets mumu
What exactly have you been trying to say sef? I need to bring my son to teach you basic punctuations and their uses. Your use(or lack of use) of it makes your comments incoherent and incomprehensible.
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by dayokanu(m): 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
muami:

When they say Nigeria consumes 35 million litres of fuel daily. They expect you to use your common/ and mathematical sense (since you know maths) to understand that that is an average figure. It can go up or can come down . Last year, it went up due to increase in consumption and increase in crude oil at the international level. As a result, 1.4trillion was spent.

Mr Muanmi,

Which Calculation would make us arrive at 1.3 trillion?

Is it that the volume consume quadripled within a year or the price quadripled within a year?
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2012
muami:

What exactly have you been trying to say sef? I need to bring my son to teach you basic punctuations and their uses. Your use(or lack of use) of it makes your comments incoherent and incomprehensible.

i'm guessing your son also taught you the analysis you are spewing about here?
Re: Beaf! How Much Was Really Spent On Subsidy Last Year? by DRANOEL(m): 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2012
dayokanu:

Mr Muanmi,

Which Calculation would make us arrive at 1.3 trillion?

Is it that the volume consume quadripled within a year or the price quadripled within a year?

don't worry yourself, you wouldn't get an answer based on facts from him. the guys whole theory is based on his bedroom assumptions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top Us Official Pledges Security Help For Nigeria / Fulani Herdsman Machetes, Burns Boss To Take Possession Of His Cows In Oyo State / Tinubu: My Life, My Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.