Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,152 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares (6400 Views)

Buhari’s Abia Rally Dwarfs Gej's Rally In Abia [ Compare Photos] / Fuel Subsidy Crisis: Osun Provides Free Train Services To Stranded Passengers / Stranded Passengers Sell Their Blackberries To Afford Increased Transport Fares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by chiomen: 12:37pm On Jan 06, 2012
UMUAHIA—THE effects of the removal of subsidy on petrol has continued to bite harder in Abia State as some people who returned for the Christmas and New Year celebrations and are now stranded in their villages have resorted to selling their belongings to raise transport fare back to their various stations.

Many people who had the celebration in their rural communities were surprised at the high cost of transportation when they came to Umuahia to board vehicles back to their places of abode.

At least three men were seen at one of the luxurious bus parks in Umuahia trying to trade off their Black Berry phones at give away prices to enable them raise money to transport themselves back.

“It is better I sell the phone and get back to resume my work than stay here and lose my job.

“When things settle down, I can buy another Black Berry. I will manage my small phones. This is life,” one of the passengers returning to Abuja said.

Vanguard learnt that many people who are still stranded on account of the hike in transport fares have sold some of their items, ranging from wrist watches to telephones and even clothes to enable them return to their bases.

Meanwhile, Governor Theodore Orji was said to have liaised with a transport company to ferry some Abians stranded back to their places.

Those to benefit are people residing in Abuja, Lagos, Kaduna, Kano, Sokoto and other destinations,

….As fares increase in Enugu
By TONY EDIKE
ENUGU— Commuters in Enugu State have continued to experience severe hardship on account of the removal of fuel subsidy as transport fares have skyrocketed.

There has been astronomical increase in intra and inter state transport fares making it impossible for those who tralleved for the Yuletide to get back to their places of residence.

Even civil servants who resumed work after the New Year holiday on Tuesday were finding it difficult to get to their offices owing to about 200 percent increase in transport fares.

There has, however, not been any noticeable increase in cost of foodstuffs in Enugu since the withdrawal of fuel subsidy.

Traders attributed the situation to the absence of buyers and low patronage.

Ironically, the worrisome hike in transport fares which has forced many who travelled to remain in their villages, has led to a brisk business by transporters.

Transport fare from Enugu to Nsukka which was N250 jumped to N900; a journey by luxury bus to Lagos jumped to N7, 000 from N3,000.

In the intra city fares, a drop by bus which usually attracts N30 is now N100. Taxi drops are as high as N1,000 and N3,000 while Okada charges cut-throat fares.

Enugu to Onitsha by bus which normally costs N350 now costs between N1,200 and N1,500.

In the same vein, mass transit buses from Enugu to Abuja which costs N2,800 before the subsidy removal, now costs N7,000 just as bus fare to Port Harcourt which was N800 now costs between N2,500 and N3,000.

But a renowned transporter, Chief Sam Maduka Onyishi condemned the fare increase by long distance luxury bus operators.

Onyishi who is the Managing Director of Peace Mass Transit said it was inhuman for them to increase their fares as the subsidy withdrawal did not affect gas which the luxury buses and other heavy duty vehicles use.

Onyishi who has over 2,000 Hiace combi buses on his fleet said he made only 30 percent increase, although the subsidy withdrawal was 120 percent.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Ufeolorun(m): 12:52pm On Jan 06, 2012
Real life situation not some silly talking points some have been trying to espouse here.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by ulonnaya21: 1:23pm On Jan 06, 2012
Real life situation for real. What can man do? That is the real effect of the subsidy removal on the citizens, I pray it does not last forever
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by beafroast: 1:49pm On Jan 06, 2012
make dem get PATIENCE, GEJ go send them diesel buses to carry dem, GOODLUCK to dem!
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by stepo707: 2:20pm On Jan 06, 2012
GEJ really shocked/surprised a lot of people.i can imagine how many people have lost their jobs already.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by silibaba: 9:28am On Jan 07, 2012
really peace mass transit managing director i a nice person.

i paid on N3500 AC bus from lagos down to onitsha.

if other transporters can have the kind of mind this M.D possess, there would have been less problem.

up peace mass!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by uche13: 9:48am On Jan 07, 2012
I am sorry but I have no mercy for those stranded in their village now. Are they telling me that they used all their money to travel to the east for celebration? What if there was no issue of subsidy and while travelling the vehicle breaks down. Yes I am from the east but it makes no sense for igbos to always insist on travelling and at times even borrowing to waste money in the east because u can not travel without dashing out lump sums of money to visitors.

Bottom line, if u have made so much moni, travel and if not sit down at home.

How would they have paid their kids fees this january sef if they returned?
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by redsquare(m): 10:17am On Jan 07, 2012
uche13:

I am sorry but I have no mercy for those stranded in their village now. Are they telling me that they used all their money to travel to the east for celebration? What if there was no issue of subsidy and while travelling the vehicle breaks down. Yes I am from the east but it makes no sense for igbos to always insist on travelling and at times even borrowing to waste money in the east because u can not travel without dashing out lump sums of money to visitors.

You are a big F.O.O.L. So people that have one event/ceremony to attend during xmas should not travel? Or what is wrong in someone joining his kith and kin to celebrate the xmas in his village after spending the whole year in the city? Or would you blame someone who kept N8,000(which ordinarily is more than enough) for his transport back to Abuja from Onitsha who got to the park and noticed that transport fare to ABJ has quadrupled?
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Airtimex(m): 10:34am On Jan 07, 2012

when was the last time you traveled to your village?
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by uche13: 10:57am On Jan 07, 2012
Insult all you want as is the norm in nairaland but the truth hurts. So because you have an occassion in the village u should spend all ur cash and then suffer in January. I would have preffered if I hear that easterners face hardship in lag after using up all funds to return as the extra money for upkeep was used to pay the extra on the fare. How can you travel without a plan B? Why should you empty your bank account on a trip all in the name of celebration. What plans did they have for feeding throughout the month of january till salaries are paid or busineess resumes in earnest. That is how they keep on borrowing money throughout the month. I have seen so many situations of kids being kept back at home upon resumption because "daddy doesn't have money". This would teach people a good lesson they would never never learn. Some borrow to travel just to impress because they hear "Okey the big boy is returning from Germany" Arrant nonsense!. FYI the fare just doubled and not quadrupled. Again I ask what would have happened if while travelling at Onitsha the bus breaks down and you have to enter a new bus and pay afresh?

Anybody who does not have money to at least pay the extra money to go back to base lacks the principle of planning and should remain in the village to grow some sense!
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by doofanc: 11:04am On Jan 07, 2012
Sad to say, but most of these transporters are devilish. They are even worse than the present govt that removed the subsidy.

Like the MD of peace rightly noted, why should luxury buses increase their fairs since they all run on diesel? Some by as much as 400%?

That is pure wickedness.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 07, 2012
Let them start working in the east abi na by force to go another region before they can make money ?
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Zi: 11:18am On Jan 07, 2012
Uche13, its too early to start this, ok? But pls don't assume u saying 'the truth'. Don't u realise that some people may never have ENOUGH money to travel and celebrate with their kith & kin. So? Do they wait till everlasting? Or rot abroad & their children will never know their homeland?

Sir, the answer to this question is 'the real truth'.

My 1cent!
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Blackteeth(m): 11:20am On Jan 07, 2012
Onyishi who is the Managing Director
of Peace Mass Transit said it was
inhuman for them to increase their
fares as the subsidy withdrawal did not affect gas which the luxury buses and
other heavy duty vehicles use.
Onyishi who has over 2,000 Hiace
combi buses on his fleet said he made
only 30 percent increase, although
the subsidy withdrawal was 120 percent.

silibaba:

really peace mass transit managing director i a nice person.

i paid on N3500 AC bus from lagos down to onitsha.

if other transporters can have the kind of mind this M.D possess, there would have been less problem.

up peace mass!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy

This M.D is a fraudster who used some common sense.
He increased the transport fare for example umuahia to enugu by 200%; from N500 to N1500. Including some other short distance journeys to enable him get extra money to reduce the high cost for long distance travellers. Therefore making it the little 30% increase he claimed he made for long distance journeys.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Pukkah: 11:30am On Jan 07, 2012
Didn't we say it when the book analysts and in-the-air economists were saying that the removal won't affect diesel-powered vehicles. Effective policy makers and advisers must always demonstrate a sound knowledge of their people and environment else the people will continue to suffer like those stranded.

The timing of the removal is inauspicious and inconsiderate and the manner of the removal is tardy, lazy and shallow.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by sheyguy: 11:55am On Jan 07, 2012
If the ss/se are being affected why are they not voicing it out instead they refer to those expressing themselves as inferior. I dont see any point in that kinda move.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by mactonnyso: 12:34pm On Jan 07, 2012
I am becoming disenchanted with the whole disgusting behaviours of the Yoruba's in Nigeria.
simply because the SS/SE did not immediately join the protest against subsidy removal, which has not actually started anyway, those
Yoruba noise makers are crying as if they are hit with a plague.
But when the real protest get tough, trust me the Yoruba's will vanish living the SS/SE to be at the war front, because of their natural Coward nature. My experience is that  Edos the whole of SS/ SE are for action in real life, not like yoruba SYCOPHANTS.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by aljharem(m): 1:11pm On Jan 07, 2012
mactonnyso:

I am becoming disenchanted with the whole disgusting behaviours of the Yoruba's in Nigeria.
simply because the SS/SE did not immediately join the protest against subsidy removal, which has not actually started anyway, those
But when the real protest get tough, trust me the Yoruba's will vanish living the SS/SE to be at the war front, because of their natural Coward nature. My experience is that  Edos the whole of SS/ SE are for action in real life, not like yoruba SYCOPHANTS.

Keep talking like you have no brain

Yesterday and today Osun state provided free transport for her citizens

Abains are stranded and had to sell their properties to travel.

Who is using her brain and who is not ?

Keep comparing yourself with the yorubas, it seems like without yorubas, you cannot think straight

Must yorubas react before you do what is right and ask your government for accountability

Yesterday and 2 days ago Delta and edo protested or are they not SS states

Keep using tribalism to blind you from doing the right thing you would see where it would lead at the end of the day. Ewu amu
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by mactonnyso: 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
alj harem:

Keep talking like you have no brain

Yesterday and today Osun state provided free transport for her citizens

Abains are stranded and had to sell their properties to travel.

Who is using her brain and who is not ?

Keep comparing yourself with the yorubas, it seems like without yorubas, you cannot think straight

Must yorubas react before you do what is right and ask your government for accountability

Yesterday and 2 days ago Delta and edo protested or are they not SS states

Keep using tribalism to blind you from doing the right thing you would see where it would lead at the end of the day. Ewu amu

Mr. defender have you also protested today? or is your protest only on NL. and who is the leader of your protest group. some jobless area boys like
you would not even wait for NLC to give a go ahead before you start looting.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by aljharem(m): 1:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
mactonnyso:

Mr. defender have you also protested today? or is your protest only on NL. and who is the leader of your protest group. some jobless area boys like
you would not even wait for NLC to give a go ahead before you start looting.

LOL NLC is different from occupy Nigeria. and yes I am going out now, infact I am on my phone.

2. Once you want to tribalise the issue, I would be there.

3. Stop thinking with sentiments and use your brain because the people all over the country have woken up for a 51 years sleep and are asking serious questions
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by chuksikem(m): 1:38pm On Jan 07, 2012
alj harem:

LOL NLC is different from occupy Nigeria. and yes I am going out now, infact I am on my phone.

2. Once you want to tribalise the issue, I would be there.

3. Stop thinking with sentiments and use your brain because the people all over the country have woken up for a 51 years sleep and are asking serious questions

shutup ur stinking diseased mouth you incorrigible fellow angry, didnt you read the part that said abia state provided transportation for their people?? :oor you have comprehension problems too?? angrywho can be more tribalist than you??you really disgust me, you internet protester.,.

where was the rest of nigeria when we were paying 75-100naira for a liter of pms that retails for 65naira in other parts of the country angry??you and your likes can never force an igbo man to go and protest, lie lie, we know how the rest of nigeria thinks, so STFU and get serious with your life.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by aljharem(m): 1:48pm On Jan 07, 2012
chuksikem:

shutup your stinking diseased mouth you incorrigible fellow angry, didnt you read the part that said abia state provided transportation for their people?? :oor you have comprehension problems too?? angrywho can be more tribalist than you??you really disgust me, you internet protester.,.

where was the rest of nigeria when we were paying 75-100naira for a liter of pms that retails for 65naira in other parts of the country angry??you and your likes can never force an igbo man to go and protest, lie lie, we know how the rest of nigeria thinks, so STFU and get serious with your life.

You are just hyper ventilating for nothing

NO one has force Igbos to join nor no one has begged so what your point ? I never said Igbos should join because I understand what is going on thanks to Chyz a delta Igbo on nairaland has opened my eyes.

If you are not protesting, It is fine by Nigerian but please Biko nu, don't try to discourage others protesting for their rights because that is what would make people angry.

Thanks for your time

Kudos to abia if they provided the transport.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by dayokanu(m): 6:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
mactonnyso:

We know the generation of cowards who run to Abidajan when war starts

We know the genereation of sychophants in Nigeria, Ask me where Nzeribe , Chukwumerije and Daniel Kanu came from
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by amtheone(m): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2012
They shld not sale their shoes, let them donate them to our President because while growing up he didn't have one.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by BlackPikiN(m): 8:26pm On Jan 07, 2012
dayokanu:

We know the generation of cowards who run to Abidajan when war starts

We know the genereation of sychophants in Nigeria, Ask me where Nzeribe , Chukwumerije and Daniel Kanu came from

We also know how Awolowo saw an opportunity and ran to an illetrate military man (Gowon) to be the VP. mumu
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by sheyguy: 9:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
Dayokanu, don't argue with anyone for now. What we are witnessing is '66 allover again, like '66 the SS/SE clique have taken what belongs to North, and the North are starting another massacre targetted at them mainly, just like '66 they av denied anywrong doing, in all of this the west has featured minimally and the SS/SE are shooting themselves in the foot one more time by tagging protest against petrol subsidy removal in the west as part of the plot to unseat Gej and call of names, an accusation that was previously used to xplain BH, thereby associating the west with BH.
It is better to let whoever wants to self destruct alone.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Ayoolu12: 10:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
How does this make any sense? People selling their property to go to the North, where they are clearly not wanted? Seriously, do these guys just have a death wish, or is the east now hell fire that they must leave at all cost? Smh!
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Chubhie: 10:44pm On Jan 07, 2012
I over heard a woman saying that the son had to sell his laptop to be able to come home! For six thousand naira! Oga joe, the masses aint smiling o.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by mactonnyso: 10:48pm On Jan 07, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

How does this make any sense? People selling their property to go to the North, where they are clearly not wanted? Seriously, do these guys just have a death wish, or is the east now hell fire that they must leave at all cost? Smh!
Here is another Margot. if you care to know, the yoruba chances of business is limited only to lagos because they scared to invest in other state. But the  SE are Explorers without limit, make business go round in the country even in your village you have the services of at lease one SE.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by Ayoolu12: 5:24am On Jan 08, 2012
^^^In other words, your lives are worth less to you than making money?. Your reasoning isn't right at all!
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by StarFlux: 6:35am On Jan 09, 2012
Chubhie:

I over heard a woman saying that the son had to sell his laptop to be able to come home! For six thousand naira! Oga joe, the masses aint smiling o.
It pains me to read this oo. I know how valuable these computers are for schoolwork these days. I'm currently sitting with 3 laptops on my own, a desktop and several phones. I am considering doing a give a away in the future to needing students on Nairaland.

I can only pray to God to take care of Nigeria in these hard times.
Re: Stranded Passengers In Abia Sell Belongings To Raise Fares by ulonnaya21: 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
StarFlux:

It pains me to read this oo. I know how valuable these computers are for schoolwork these days. I'm currently sitting with 3 laptops on my own, a desktop and several phones. I am considering doing a give a away in the future to needing students on Nairaland.

I can only pray to God to take care of Nigeria in these hard times.

Well, that is how bad the situation has been and selling off ones laptop now is not ideal but what can one do. Anyway, am interested in the laptops you will be giving away in the future. Remember me oooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Will Ask For Jonathan In 2015 — Okupe / Shocking Muslim Scholar Brags 'Jesus Is A Servant/slave Of God And Not his Son / North Has Oil, Diamond, Gold But I Want Us To Remain With Biafrans-maitama Sule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.