Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? (11810 Views)

Savings From Fuel Subsidy Removal Rises To N647m Daily / Foreign Suppliers Blacklist Nigeria From Fuel Imports / Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by brokswater: 4:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
@ logica you are on point with your argument.  I wonder why we keep employing ministers that have either worked for the world bank or the IMF to the most important position within the govt to deliver key policy shifts to turn Nigeria around economically.   I must admit I was initially sold by Ngozi in the OBJ era however this time round it is very obvious with all the facts about bloated govt, the lack of accountability, corruption, lack of a structured approach to address the real issue of why we cant refine our oil internally first, do you know how many jobs that will create, whats wrong with the Venezuelan approach as alluded in a post earlier.

Our leaders have all sold us short and the more you read the less you know.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by vislabraye(m): 5:10pm On Jan 07, 2012
It is high time that Nigerians sit down and take its destiny in its own hands. GEJ will pay dearly for this stupi.dity of his. All those people supporting subsidy removal are top shots in government. No one in his right sense would ever support such cruelty.

And as Madam Okonjo whatever, that IMF agent. She doesnt mean well for the country. What has happened to all the reserves we amassed? How much is she being paid? With her big fat cheeks u'll hear say remove subsidy as if she'll be the one to suffer. She dmean well and may God judge all of them including the CBN governore.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2012
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by tpia5: 6:28pm On Jan 07, 2012
is this also fuel subsidy:

Carbon law: Europe-bound Nigerian passengers to pay more

Foreign airlines flying between Nigeria and Europe have begun plans to increase their fares, following the inclusion of aviation in the European Union's Emission Trading Scheme, investigation by our correspondent has revealed.

As such, Nigerian passengers intending to fly to Europe will have to pay higher airfares to get to their different destinations

Our correspondent gathered that European and non-European airlines flying in and out of the EU bloc were unwilling to shoulder the costof the CO2 emissions and were planning to pass it on to their passengers.

Lufthansa German Airlines has told its passengers to brace for higher ticket prices as s result of the introduction of the ETS.

Lufthansa, the world's second largest long-haul carrier after Dubai's Emirates, said it was facing ‚¬130m ($169m) in extra costs this year as a result of the introduction of the scheme, and became the first major operator to announce possible surcharges under the scheme.

A statement by Lufthansa's office in Nigeria on Thursday said the airline would include the cost in its existing fuel surcharge from this year.

The statement by the airline's spokesman in Nigeria, Mr. Hakeem Jimo, said, “As competition is tough, especially from non-EU companies, whose operations are only subject to limited emissions trading rules, Lufthansa will redirect the costs via higher ticket prices as recommended by the EU.

Sources told our correspondent that the European carriers operating in Nigeria would also pass on the costs to the passengers soon

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jan/6/828.html
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by TomFord: 6:40pm On Jan 07, 2012
There's really more to it than we think.Have you guys not heard that Africa is the last frontier?
The first reply to the topic sheds light into why the citizens of a country should take full possession of their God given resources.
The likes of Chavez,Ahamadinijad,Gadaffi,husein have shown us this in style and class.The question now is if there's any strong-willed individual who will refuse to be cajoled,bullied,or simply bought over in Nigeria.(reason been,people are now clearly selling their birthright for a morsel of meat)

BTW what will the U.S and the west be like if the Saudis were dictatorial in nature?
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by cap28: 8:38pm On Jan 07, 2012
4 Play:

If it is a known fact, no one will listen to the IMF, never mind borrow from it and it's role will be redundant. It defies logic to claim that by asking that we cut spending, this will increase the possibility of us going bankrupt. Being miserly doesn't make you go broke. In the 70s, we spent to our hearts delight, was it not Gowon that said then that he did not know what to do with our oil revenues. We had the Udorji awards, FESTAC 77, e.t.c

By the 80s when oil prices crashed, we became bankrupt and had to resort to the IMF as we were shut out by other lenders. In an ironic twist, like someone who blames the fire service for fires, we blamed the IMF for our being bankrupt.

Try this thought experiment, if you lend money, is it in your interest that the people who borrow from you suffer hardship? You want your money back and that's only possible if your borrowers are successful.

Now, I know you're going say that a lender has a vested interest in keeping countries borrowing. Even using that line of reasoning, economically developed countries borrow more not less. The US, the king of all borrowers, owes 15 trillion dollars in sovereign debt. So even if the IMF wants us to keep borrowing, it is in their interest that we keep growing wealthier so that our lending needs will be more.

I dont agree with your analysis and i think you are giving the IMF a lot of credit without appreciating that they work hand in hand with the same corrupt international banks which cause many african countries to end up with the debt in the first place.

the easiest way to understand the underhand way in which the IMF works with other western banks to undermine the economies of african countries is to trace the root cause of the debt.

lets take a look at how nigeria ended up in debt.

By the early 1980s the price of oil had begun to fall  - this is in sharp contrast to what the situation was in the 1970s or the oil boom period - during this period nigeria made  huge profits and it was during this period that the western banks encouraged nigeria to spend and even borrow in order to finance the building of various prestige or white elephant projects.

Majority of these projects were awarded to western construction companies who made huge profits so you can see they had a vested interest in us borrowing more money than we were making.
Nigeria continued along this path following advice given to them by a number of western economists and banks until the price of crude oil started to fall on the world market - it was at this point that nigeria realised that they had been taken for a ride by the western govts/banks.  

One thing you havent taken into consideration is the fact that many african countries do not operate a diversified economy, as a result, most of their revenue comes from dependence on one major export - in the case of nigeria - oil.  This leaves many african countries vulnerable to  fluctuation in commodity prices.

If african countries were not so dependant on just one major export they could absorb these kind of  losses more easily and would not find themselves at the mercy of the international banking cartels when the prices of their exports dropped.

Since many african countries are following economic policies designed to suit the needs of their former colonial masters and not the needs of their own people it is virtually impossible for them to resolve this major problem.  for example why isnt nigeria diversifying into agricultural exports? why doesnt it subsidise agricultural production in order to enable nigeria produce enough food for its own consumption as well as export?

the answer is if nigeria were to produce its own food supply america and europe would lose a sizeable chunk of its export market  - this is something the western economies definitely do not want - therefore they coerce nigeria into implementing harmful economic policies which destroy domestic production and create an environment designed to suit the needs of foreign investors.

Someone on this thread has compared the IMF to a loan shark and i think that is a very accurate depiction - in fact i woudl go a step further and describe them as an international mafia organisation - their friends loan you money knowing full well that your economic policy is unsustainable and then when you eventually go bankrupt the international mafia federation steps in and agrees to loan you even more money at even higher interest rates as long as you agree to sell up every valuable asset in your country to them and their friends at vastly reduced rates. In addition you have to allow them to set up sweat shops in your country where they will then go about using your citizens as cheap labour in order to further maximise their profits. These profits will then be exported back to their own countries of origin (tax free of course) and used to further build and develop their own economies.

Can someone please explain to me how removing trade tarrifs promotes economic growth?

doesnt removal of trade tarriffs result in your markets being flooded with cheap foreign imports and the collapse of domestic production and industry?

how about the selling off of public utitlies like airlines and electricity companies to foreign investors at reduced prices- how does this benefit local consumers?

is it sound economic policy to allow foreigners to buy up valuable govt run assets?

how about asking you to cut spending on education and healthcare? - is it possible to build a first rate economy without an educated and healthy workforce?

General Buhari who was nigeria's head of state at the time REFUSED to go along with the IMF   - he beleived that we didnt need to borrow more money in order to get out of debt - he offered to renegotiate a deal which would involve cancellation of existing debt.

By the way this debt had been inflated and had quadrupled in sized not because we were still borrowing but because of the interest rates which were rising at an alarming rate year on year.
- the IMF refused, Buhari was toppled and replaced with IBB and  the rest is history.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by thoth: 8:42pm On Jan 07, 2012
We are now at the PsyOps stage, IMF/World Bank/AFRICOM are working together simultenously achieve full spectrum domination in Africa(2nd colonisation) .
Nigerians in this case is being prepared psychological for the next stage of the operation. Meanwhile the international community is also being prepared as well for the next stage, as soon as the image of a corrupt,terrorist infested,poor and malfuntioning nation is complete and it is established that nigeria is a threat to World Peace and foreign assistance should be used to contain the threat because the nation lacks the ability then the next stage is ushered in.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by 989900: 9:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
Alternatively, from what I heard the petroleum minister and Iweala saying at the town hall debate, they've already given licences to 20 companies to start refineries. The truth here is, these licences have been issued for some long while now and sources confirmed these licences were issued to same old cabal and friends of PDP and some foreign investors.

Now my gut feeling tells me members of this same gov't. and the refinery license holders (same old cabal and friends of PDP and some foreign investors) didn't find it quite juicy to start 'em refineries 'cause selling @65naira without subsidy funding to "pake" join their profit won't work well for their profit margin. So, they'd rather keep importing into our country.

However, if pump price jumps to N141/litre they (same old cabal and friends of PDP and some foreign investors) would kick start their refineries, making insane profit off Nigerians. With the gov't assisting them to make sure our own refineries don't ever work again.

N.B. A foreign diplomat once told me, IMF AND World bank actually pays African leaders not to service their debts with them so they can recoup their funds back in natural resources and cut throat deals.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by cap28: 10:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
thoth:

We are now at the PsyOps stage, IMF/World Bank/AFRICOM are working together simultenously achieve full spectrum domination in Africa(2nd colonisation) .
Nigerians in this case is being prepared psychological for the next stage of the operation. Meanwhile the international community is also being prepared as well for the next stage, as soon as the image of a corrupt,terrorist infested,poor and malfuntioning nation is complete and it is established that nigeria is a threat to World Peace and foreign assistance should be used to contain the threat because the nation lacks the ability then the next stage is ushered in.

Is it too late to stop them in their tracks? what can nigerians do to prevent this?
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
tjadeba:

Good analysis. Now in Nigeria;s case, what assurances do we have from the fools in power that money saved from the IMF policy will not be used to fund elections,pay elected officers and their retinue of aides fat salaries,embark on white elephant projects? Thereby going to same IMF to borrow because i know the IMF know our leaders to be corrupt

Are you in some way insinuating that IMF should have more control over our destiny as a nation? Does IMF now have to police our corrupt leaders for us?  undecided undecided undecided undecided

Here is what I believe the situation is here. The Nigerian Government, once again,put the cart before the horse, and essentially found a way to have gullible Nigerians think the IMF is to blame. It has happened so many times before and I believe it is happening again.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 10:57pm On Jan 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

The Nigerian Government, once again,put the cart before the horse, and essentially found a way to have gullible Nigerians think the IMF is to blame. It has happened so many times before and I believe it is happening again.
If the IMF thought the Nigerian Government was making a wrong move, why were they being commended by Largarde on her visit on the 19th of December (after she met with their stooge in the form of Iweala and Jonathan)? It's no coincidence that 2 weeks later we got a New Year present. Or have you heard IMF criticize the government? We know who the piper playing the tune is; and we clearly see the dancers. Besides, enough posts on this thread have treated the conspiracy that these financial institutions (World Bank/IMF) constitute. I don't think I need to mention that any government that doesn't toe their line falls anyway. So again, who's to blame? Do you blame the puppet, or do you blame the puppeteer, or maybe even the members of the audience who have refused to see the evil of the puppeteer but rather face the puppet?
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
logica:

If the IMF thought the Nigerian Government was making a wrong move, why were they being commended by Largarde on her visit on the 19th of December (after she met with their stooge in the form of Iweala and Jonathan)? It's no coincidence that 2 weeks later we got a New Year present. Or have you heard IMF criticize the government? We know who the piper playing the tune is; and we clearly see the dancers. Besides, enough posts on this thread have treated the conspiracy that these financial institutions (World Bank/IMF) constitute. I don't think I need to mention that any government that doesn't toe their line falls anyway. So again, who's to blame? Do you blame the puppet, or do you blame the puppeteer, or maybe even the members of the audience who have refused to see the evil of the puppeteer but rather face the puppet?

Our government was making a wrong move? What wrong move?

a) Our banking system is reported BY our Government to be in good condition
b) Inflation is reported by our Government to be in check
c) GDP growth has been reported by our Government as averaging 7% per year,for the last 2 years. Majority of the countries out there do not have such figures and are requesting IMF grant them loans for their survival.
d) We finally implemented fuel-subsidy removal that we have been pushing for since,I believe,2005
e) Seems all is well in Nigeria, according to the  Nigerian Government. We look good on paper.

What exactly do you need the IMF to criticize us for?
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 11:21pm On Jan 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Our government was making a wrong move? What wrong move?
Kobojunkie:

The Nigerian Government, once again,put the cart before the horse, and essentially found a way to have gullible Nigerians think the IMF is to blame.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^ IMF is not an organization to CHECK the actions of our Government. I think you should please inform yourself on what role the IMF really plays. It is not Amnesty international or transparency international or some police to concern itself with how our Government actually does things. IMF is no class prefect or Police or DPO.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 11:33pm On Jan 07, 2012
[size=14pt]The IMF in Action: Taking a Member Country's Economic Pulse[/size]

You're at the cash machine getting money for an evening out. The machine spits your card back. "INSUFFICIENT FUNDS TO PROCESS TRANSACTION," flashes on the screen. Surprised? Forgot to balance your checkbook? You didn't have accurate information about your bank account. Now you're stuck borrowing money from a friend.

If you think running out of money is inconvenient, imagine the same problem on a national or even global scale. Investors, bankers, and government policy-makers all hate these kinds of surprises, too. Without up to date economic data, a local problem in one country can cause trouble for other countries that have financial dealings there.

One of the IMF's most important jobs is to conduct an annual "checkup" of the economy of almost all the IMF's member countries. These checkups help uncover issues in a country's economy that other member countries may be unaware of. Sharing accurate, objective information avoids nasty surprises in international trade and monetary exchange. The IMF's reputation and success depends on this open sharing of information.

http://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/center/action/eng/art_iv/index.htm
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 11:38pm On Jan 07, 2012
Excuse, me. No need putting up childish write ups from their site.

All you need do is, explain what you mean by this:

The Nigerian Government, once again,put the cart before the horse, and essentially found a way to have gullible Nigerians think the IMF is to blame.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 11:40pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^ Childish writeups? Really? Well, if you are not willing to at least gain an understanding of what the INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND is about and what they really do, as opposed to what you think the IMF should do for you, then I cannot help you. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by ade80: 11:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
Read up on IMF on wikipedia, sap during babaginda's time was from IMF. SAP was an IMF policy that Nigeria adopted cause of the loans we took
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
[size=14pt]Our Work[/size]
The IMF's fundamental mission is to help ensure stability in the international system. It does so in three ways: keeping track of the global economy and the economies of member countries; lending to countries with balance of payments difficulties; and giving practical help to members.
[size=13pt]Surveillance[/size]
The IMF oversees the international monetary system and monitors the financial and economic policies of its members. It keeps track of economic developments on a national, regional, and global basis, consulting regularly with member countries and providing them with macroeconomic and financial policy advice.
[size=13pt]Technical Assistance[/size]
To assist mainly low- and middle-income countries in effectively managing their economies, the IMF provides practical guidance and training on how to upgrade institutions, and design appropriate macroeconomic, financial, and structural policies.
[size=13pt]Lending[/size]
The IMF provides loans to countries that have trouble meeting their international payments and cannot otherwise find sufficient financing on affordable terms. This financial assistance is designed to help countries restore macroeconomic stability by rebuilding their international reserves, stabilizing their currencies, and paying for imports—all necessary conditions for relaunching growth. The IMF also provides concessional loans to low-income countries to help them develop their economies and reduce poverty.

http://www.imf.org/external/about/ourwork.htm
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 11:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
Even the Japanese Triad (Yakuza) can put up a site saying their business is only about tattoos and put up various tattoo designs. It's left for gullible people to copy and paste from such a website.

Like I said, I know what the IMF is about; I am more interested in what you mean by this:

Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2012
What I mean by that? Let's see . . . .

Fuel subsidy removal is not bad . . .we have been trying to since 2005 to implement this, but in order to do it,we first needed to ensure our refineries were working and we had sufficient refining capability. Obasanjo and Yar adua regimes worked as they could to ensure the horse was in place before the policy is to be implemented. Unfortunately, rather than pursue that, our current Government decided instead to go ahead and cut subsidies even before we had ensured the horses place. Of course there is more that was not done, but I am certain this explains what I have there. Does that help you understand what I typed there now??
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by ade80: 11:54pm On Jan 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

^^^ IMF is not an organization to CHECK the actions of our Government. I think you should please inform yourself on what role the IMF really plays. It is not Amnesty international or transparency international or some police to concern itself with how our Government actually does things. IMF is no class prefect or Police or DPO.

Argentina, which had been considered by the IMF to be a model country in its compliance to policy proposals by the Bretton Woods institutions, experienced a catastrophic economic crisis in 2001,[34] which some believe to have been caused by IMF-induced budget restrictions—which undercut the government’s ability to sustain national infrastructure even in crucial areas such as health, education, and security—and privatization of strategically vital national resources.[35] Others attribute the crisis to Argentina’s misdesigned fiscal federalism, which caused subnational spending to increase rapidly.[36] The crisis added to widespread hatred of this institution in Argentina and other South American countries, with many blaming the IMF for the region’s economic problems.[37] Wikipedia
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 12:02am On Jan 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What I mean by that? Let's see . . . .

Fuel subsidy removal is not bad . . .we have been trying to since 2005 to implement this, but in order to do it,we first needed to ensure our refineries were working and we had sufficient refining capability. Obasanjo and Yar adua regimes worked as they could to ensure the horse was in place before the policy is to be implemented. Unfortunately, rather than pursue that, our current Government decided instead to go ahead and cut subsidies even before we had ensured the cart was in place. Of course there is more that was not done, but I am certain this explains what I have there. Does that help you understand what I typed there now??
Thanks.

Only thing is, Professor Tam David-West (Former Petroleum Minister) claims there's really no "fuel subsidy" and it's all a scam. It's standard for refineries to work anyway. The contentious issue should be, what price should PMS be sold in Nigeria? Should we base our price on the price in the US? Our petroleum bodies (NNPC etc) have a penchant for preferring to export petroleum products than provide them locally because of course they make more money exporting (I learnt how they'd been doing that with gas, thereby starving our local PHCN power plants of the required gas to produce power). And it makes sense that the price locally should be lower than the export price.

But let's ignore that for a moment; I'm not sure the government can't make IMF a scapegoat if they didn't tie into the deal somewhere.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On Jan 08, 2012
This fuel subsidy removal policy has been in the works since the early 2000s. Nigeria has been working on implementing this IMF policy for almost a decade now. That your Government decided to act in this brash manner now, DOES NOT in anyway mean IMF is NOW to blame.

We ought to stop being gullible and start doing research to gain better understanding of what we see happening around us. This is no new policy. Back in 2005, I believe Obasanjo made the first move on this policy. Along with this was to come deregulation, part of which was handled during Obasanjo regime. That the Jonathan Goodluck regime decided now to rush blindly into implementing this now in no wise means the IMF is in anyway to blame.

Do some googling to figure out why we stayed on this back in 2005

http://allafrica.com/stories/200503230093.html

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20061228122222zg/sections/general-articles/obasanjo-no-going-back-fuel-price/

http://www.codewit.com/home/world-news/africa/2757-nigeria-the-fuel-subsidy-debate

http://www.ngex.com/news/public/article.php?ArticleID=99
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 12:22am On Jan 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This fuel subsidy removal policy has been in the works since the early 2000s. Nigeria has been working on implementing this IMF policy for almost a decade now. That your Government decided to act in this brash manner now, DOES NOT in anyway mean IMF is NOW to blame.
But, what would make our government implement it in such a brash manner? What did GEJ stand to gain by incurring the wrath of the populace? I suppose you consider him to be extremely daft right? (Correct in some ways). But remember, he's a politician.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 12:38am On Jan 08, 2012
logica:

But, what would make our government implement it in such a brash manner? What did GEJ stand to gain by incurring the wrath of the populace? I suppose you consider him to be extremely daft right? (Correct in some ways). But remember, he's a politician.

What made Obasanjo decide to wait on it? What made Yar adua decide it was best to handle the removal in the way he approached it? I think you should ask YOUR GOVERNMENT why it refused to ensure the horse was in place before deciding it was time to remove the subsidy. I don't believe anyone else has those answers and certainly cooking up ridiculous stories to explain it is not going to give you the truth of what happened and why it was done to you. 

You are absolutely wrong in thinking I consider Jonathan Goodluck , or any Nigerian politician out there, to be extremely daft. On the contrary, I believe these are people who ordinarily would probably not make it anywhere else but have figured out how easily they can manipulate the Nigerian people and make themselves as rich as they can. They have done a good job of it and will continue to as long as Nigerians remain this way. The way I see it, they are simply taking advantage of a system created and allowed by the Nigerian people. How long the people will allow this to continue, only God knows.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 12:42am On Jan 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What made Obasanjo decide to wait on it? What made Yar adua decide it was best to handle the removal in the way he approached it?
How about, less pressure from the boss, and OBJ was paying steady anyway (thanks to our "financial wizard" Okonjo)? GEJ definitely got a deadline from the boss here: "Hey, we've been waiting 10 years. You can't continue telling us you are broke and can't pay. Implement or else!". How much are we owing again?
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 12:49am On Jan 08, 2012
^^ Like I said, your Government is the only one who can answer the question for you. However,if you think you would rather cook up ridiculous stories so as to appease your mind there. That is all you.

We should be asking those in Government questions and demanding answers from THEM. Not sitting at our desks and cooking up more ridiculous fables to only further enslave us to the midgets we have in government.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 1:02am On Jan 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

^^ Like I said, your Government is the only one who can answer the question for you. However,if you think you would rather cook up ridiculous stories so as to appease your mind there. That is all you.
You are the one who thinks the questions have not been answered. You are the one making assumptions of "cooked up ridiculous stories". You can go ask questions, I already have answers. smiley
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Kobojunkie: 1:25am On Jan 08, 2012
You mean the Government has answered those questions? I am not aware of this so please can you provide some source detailing the given answers? I am really interested in knowing why the Goodluck administration, unlike administrations before it, felt that it needed to put the horse before the cart.
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by logica(m): 1:28am On Jan 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You mean the Government has answered those questions? I am not aware of this so please can you provide some source detailing the given answers? I am really interested in knowing why the Goodluck administration, unlike administrations before it, felt that it needed to put the horse before the cart.
To get such answers either you have reliable sources within the government, or you actually use your intuition. Let's just say I have the best of both worlds. smiley
Re: What Exactly Will Western Countries/imf Gain From Fuel Subsidy Removal? by pcicero(m): 1:32am On Jan 08, 2012
I have stayed away from the subsidy removal debate for so many reasons. All of a sudden, every Nigerian is now an economist and has an idea of what is going on, even when spewing thrash.I am particularly disappointed with the positions of people I had learnt to respect their opinions on matters such as these.
@ OP:Some of us were young when IMF\World Bank prescribed SAP- Structural Adjustment Programme to Nigeria and we have been suffering the resultant effects for decades. Yes, their recommendations, just like this subsidy removal, are not altruistic. Please read the link below for further enlightenment.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/3/structural-adjustment-a-major-cause-of-poverty

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Onitsha Bridge Is Vibrating And May Collapse / Onnoghen: PDP Is Sympathetic To Corruption, Says APC / Barnabas Bala Bantex Apologises Over Remarks On World Bank Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.