Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan (3755 Views)

Travel Alert - New Measures For Ebola In Zambia / My Experience In Port-harcourt Airspace & Airport Today / Travel Alert To Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 10:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
[size=18pt]Nationwide strike to ground air transport in Nigeria[/size]

*Airspace closes 12 midnight on Sunday

Lawani Mikairu &
Daniel Eteghe

06 January 2012, Sweetcrude, LAGOS –Nigeria Air space will be closed and Air transport grounded by 12 midnight on Sunday. This is sequel to Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) directives that all affiliate unions should commence an indefinite strike on Monday, January 9, in response to the Federal government withdrawal of subsidy on Petrol.

In a statement by the three unions in the aviation industry after an emergency meeting, the Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSAN), the Nation Union of Air Transport Employee (NUATE), the National Association of Aircraft Pilots and Engineer (NAAPE), have directed their members to withdraw their services by 00.00hrs Sunday night.

The resolutions signed by Mr Oloyinka Abioye, Deputy General Secretary, ATSSAN; Comrade AbdulKareem Motajo, Acting General Secretary, NUATE and Umar Ofonime, Assistant General Secretary, NAAPE, said among others, that in compliance with directives of the central working committee of Nigeria Labour Congress all air transport workers must observe the stay-at-home order.

The statement read in part: “There is a subsisting understanding between Labour Congress and the Federal Government in 2009 that removal of subsidy will not commence until certain conditions have been met.

“These include the fixing of all the refineries and building of new ones, regular power supply, and provision of other social infrastructure such as railways and repairs of roads as well as eliminating the corruption associated with supply and distribution of petroleum products in the downstream sector of the oil industry” the statement read.

Source: http://sweetcrudereports.com/2012/01/06/nationwide-strike-to-ground-air-transport-in-nigeria/
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by damola1: 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
ok oh,
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by eghost247(m): 6:53am On Jan 08, 2012
This strike is going to be tough brace up people
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 08, 2012
NA
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 5:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
NOTHING IS CLOSED. EVERYTHING IS SCHEDULED AS PLANNED.

ARIK AIRLINES
Emirates Airlines will NOT follow STRIKE orders.

THEY STILL PLAN TO FLY INTO NIGERIA.

This is soo silly.  angry angry angry angry
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 5:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
Prince4chy:

please can somebody clear me am hearing international flights will go on as planned overlooking the strike esp.turkish airlines please

You are right. International flights are still business as usual.

Its bloody annoying. Any cancellations on my ticket at this time will cause me to loose my money. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 5:37pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

NOTHING IS CLOSED. EVERYTHING IS SCHEDULED AS PLANNED.

ARIK AIRLINES
Emirates Airlines will NOT follow STRIKE orders.

THEY STILL PLAN TO FLY INTO NIGERIA.

This is soo silly.  angry angry angry angry
Listen, by international dispute laws relating to air travel, ALL flights already air borne will be allowed to land and the Emirates flight you are refering to will be Airborn by the time the flight would have commenced!

More reason why the International flights should be affected is to put more pressure on the FG to reverse her actions!
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 5:50pm On Jan 08, 2012
The flights hasn't left yet so what is airbourne about it ?
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 5:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

The flights hasn't left yet so what is airbourne about it ?
When is strike suspose to commence in Nigeria? FYI, Emirates can fly you out of Dubai and dump you in Ghana or near by airports and connect you by road into Lagos if they are denied landing due to the union strikes.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

When is strike suspose to commence in Nigeria? FYI, Emirates can fly you out of Dubai and dump you in Ghana or near by airports and connect you by road into Lagos if they are denied landing due to the union strikes.

That is wickedness, I may just have to forfeit my plane ticket. They have refused to cancel flights.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2012
Even United Airlines/Continental has done the right thing.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html?jumpLink=%2Ftravelwaiver
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 6:10pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

Even United Airlines/Continental has done the right thing.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html?jumpLink=%2Ftravelwaiver

I dunno what you are trying to point out, but the reason I put up this post is inform people of the impending strike on Monday and that Aviation will be affectedm hence, it is left to them to do the wise thing by contacting their airliner or going to their website to confirm if they will be flying to Nigeria or not.

As you have rightly seen, United will not be flying into Nigeria on Monday at least for now unless Labour calls off the strike at the last minute.

As for the waiver, yes it is a good thing and it is an international standard practice by most airlines. Monitoring Arik and a few others , no words from them yet.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2012
I am angry that EMIRATES has not cancelled the bloody flight to Nigeria.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

Are you flying Emirates by the way?
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by Remii(m): 6:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

lol, GEJ left Nigerians stranded in their villages after Xmas,
NLC/TUC are going to make Nigerians stranded all over the world after holidays

1 :1 goalless draw grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:24pm On Jan 08, 2012
I am and I have been calling their office. It is much better if the airline cancels the flight than if I actually do.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 6:31pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

I am and I have been calling their office. It is much better if the airline cancels the flight than if I actually do.

Go to their website and check your booking. If there is cancellation, you will be notified there. Otherwise, pack your bag, drive down to the airport and if they are flying, then lucky you, otherwise, get information from their desk.

I suspect they might use their alternative routes to re-routes Nigeria bound passengers. Remember this is an Indefinate Strike and once it starts, if the FG fail to reverse her actions, it is more likely that NLC/TUC will continue their protest.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:37pm On Jan 08, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Go to their website and check your booking. If there is cancellation, you will be notified there. Otherwise, pack your bag, drive down to the airport and if they are flying, then lucky you, otherwise, get information from their desk.

I suspect they might use their alternative routes to re-routes Nigeria bound passengers. Remember this is an Indefinate Strike and once it starts, if the FG fail to reverse her actions, it is more likely that NLC/TUC will continue their protest.

Thank you for all of your help. I know that you mean well.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by imperiouxx(m): 6:40pm On Jan 08, 2012
I don't know when the airspace will be shut but I just saw a plane over head leaving MMA now.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:43pm On Jan 08, 2012
imperiouxx:

I don't know when the airspace will be shut but I just saw a plane over head leaving MMA now.

The strike is bullocks I tell you. LMAO! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 6:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
imperiouxx:

Aviation Union strike will commence 12am tonight according to the release by the Avaition Workers Union. On a more lighter note, if those plans are the last to leave Nigeria before the country implode, you better do "Mr Ibru" and enter the 'cargo' section cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:50pm On Jan 08, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Aviation Union strike will commence 12am tonight according to the release by the Avaition Workers Union. On a more lighter note, if those plans are the last to leave Nigeria before the country implode, you better do "Mr Ibru" and enter the 'cargo' section cheesy cheesy cheesy

I thought it was 12am Sunday morning ? Na wa angry angry angry
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 6:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

I thought it was 12am Sunday morning ? Na wa angry angry angry
12am Monday Morning. Check the post again.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 6:56pm On Jan 08, 2012
got it. Thanks! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by imperiouxx(m): 6:58pm On Jan 08, 2012
Well, I scheduled for weekend and by then the whole issue should have been settled or else I . . . . .
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2012
I am schedule to travel tomorrow, I will have to take the loss.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 7:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
imperiouxx:

Well, I scheduled for weekend and by then the whole issue should have been settled or else I . . . . .
or else you Trekke

obowunmi:

I am schedule to travel tomorrow, I will have to take the loss.
Sorry for your loss, but do not forget to check with your airline. They may have alternative arrangement for you to travel from Neighbouring country.
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 7:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Sorry for your loss, but do not forget to check with your airline. They may have alternative arrangement for you to travel from Neighbouring country.

What am I doing in a neighboring country ? angry angry angry
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 7:35pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

What am I doing in a neighboring country ? angry angry angry
Well if Ghana is not going on strike, they can make arrangement to fly you out from there (conveying you by road from Lagos) and then putting you guys on the flight from Ghana to SA and then from SA to Dubai.Stressful, yes, but it may help get you to your destination in 12hrs!
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2012
but that is not what I paid for. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by OmoTier1(m): 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
obowunmi:

but that is not what I paid for. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
That is why the name for it is called :ALTERNATIVES, or shall I use GEJ's word : PALLATIVE MEASURES,
Re: Travel Alert:Union Strike-Nigeria Airspace To Close At 12am On Sunday 8th Of Jan by obowunmi(m): 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2012
We understand that Arik Air, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic KLM, Lufthansa and Ethiopian Airline plan to operate a normal international service on Monday.

The Nigerian government has reported that the airport in Abuja will open and operate as normal on Monday,

Strike my foot. angry angry angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Canadian Visa Expert, Scam Or Real? / Albania And Moldova Embassy / A Migrant's Journey To Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.