Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Campus Blues. . . . - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Campus Blues. . . . (2595 Views)

Campus Life. The Girls. The Ghetto. The Garri. The Glory. / My Life On Campus... (A MUST READ!!!) / Love-life On Campus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
I started this story in the romance section. But I decided (it's a story after all) to create a duplicate thread here in the literature section. Happy reading and please, don't forget to drop your thoughts on the story! Thanks smiley
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:07pm On Jan 08, 2012
It was a night in the month of November. TJ and his friends sat at the ‘Mai Shayi’s joint, warming their hands over hot mugs of tea. The night was chillingly cold. Clouds of cold vapour wafted out of their mouths as they spoke in hushed tones.

‘I swear the chick was coming out of Dr Musa’s office late in the night, Enabo explained, blinking furiously as he swigged his steaming tea. I wasn’t told; I saw it with my two eyes. I feel sorry for Roger. The guy’s whipped! He’s the only one who doesn’t know she’s been hopping all over town’!
The other guys laughed raucously, warm in the enclave of the ‘Mai Shayi’s shed. It wasn’t a shed so to say. It was a simple house, with electricity, music playing and also very clean too.

‘His woman, his problem’, TJ rationalized as the ‘Mai Shayi’ placed hot plates of Indomie and Suya on the table in front of them. He was a tall and lean; his dark complexion set off with his bright smile and his dark hair shaved near his scalp. He wasn't conventionally handsome, but he had a ruggedness and mien that girls found attractive. Guys, una no chow? He asked.
They picked up their plates and started eating hungrily, nodding in content as their sense of taste was assaulted by the spicy deliciousness of the delicacy.

As they bantered, a girl walked into the joint and sat alone by a table. The ‘Shayi man’ went to her and the guys could hear her voice as she ordered for a flask of very hot tea, handing over a stainless flask to the man.

See them! Enabo exclaimed bitterly. She no fit cook! I swear, I no fit marry all these Uni girls. When I'm ready, I’m going to my village to look for a fifteen year old that I will groom and grow with. No single wife material to be found in this effed up place!

Enabo (who courtesy of too many cans of beer and energy drinks had grown a moderate paunch) had grown bitter and disillusioned after his girlfriend (who was ahead of him in school) had graduated and gotten married to someone else. Though his friends were secretly in support of the girl's decision (since Enabo wasn't even halfway through with school yet), they never showed it to him either in words or actions. Every one except Enabo had known the 'relationship' was a temporary one.

The girl he'd referred to looked over at them, and looked away. It was very obvious she had heard Enabo.
The moment she looked over, TJ had a clear view of her face and he was momentarily dumbstruck by what he saw. She was chocolate in colour, with clear skin and wide cat like eyes. He wondered if she was waiting for someone. Then on an impulse, he decided to try his luck.

Guys, I’m going in, TJ announced to his friends, picking up his plate and drink and walking to her table before his friends could respond.
Her head was bent over the table and she was fiddling with something in her hands. ‘Probably a BB’, he thought in his mind. He put on his best, charming smile.
Hi, may I sit with you?

‘The place is not mine, so whatever’, she answered, not even glancing up.
Feeling his friends’ eyes boring into his back, he pulled a chair and sat down.
So what is a beautiful girl like you, doing in a place like this? He asked, switching on the charm.
I thought you guys had gotten the answer. I can’t cook. So I’m here to get myself some tea. . .she rolled her eyes.
He was thrown off balance with her answer and he tried to look for a suitable reply but found non.

The ‘Shayi’ man came with the flask and she gave him some naira notes. Then looking at him squarely, she told him; don’t you people have better things to do than to come here and start saying things you know nothing about?

Before he could reply, she got up and walked out of the place. He went back to his friends, greeted with raucous laughter over the fact that he hadn’t even gotten her number!

Guy, you no try at all, Enabo admonished. Common digit, mba! You no even resemble me!!
She didn’t stay long enough for us to strike a conversation and moreover, she overheard what you said, DJ replied, pushing away the now lukewarm plate of Indomie in sudden disgust as his appetite left him.
*************************************************************************************
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by whizcode: 3:28am On Jan 09, 2012
subscribing cool
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by Oluchi007(f): 7:31pm On Jan 09, 2012
I enjoyed reading it. Powerful description, but don't tell me that's the end! smiley
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:09pm On Jan 09, 2012
Thanks, whizcode and Oluchi. And no, it is not the end! cheesy

I've actually gone a bit far with the story in romance section. I just decided to recreate the thread here. Cause I see that not every one visits the section! smiley
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2012
The very next day, TJ saw her in the Coca Cola garden as he drove in to get some snacks. She was sitting on one of the stone benches staring blankly ahead, a small frown marring the perfection of her pretty face. She looked a little bit worried, and he couldn't help pulling up a little distance away. Moreover, he had to make up for his failure the previous night.

Hi, he said as he walked up to her. She stared blankly at him.
“We met last night, remember? At the hot tea joint. . . .
Oh, she replied coldly.

Are you waiting for someone? He asked.
Yep, for some of my friends. They are in a lecture room though. For the next two hours.
So you’re just gonna sit here waiting for two hours? How about getting some lunch with me? He asked, flashing his signature, disarming smile. Gosh, she was even more beautiful in daylight! Her skin shone with health and vitality, her hair was black and lustrous packed in a tight bun at the nape of her neck. She was in a hug and light blue jean. Her small feet encased in sneakers. . . .
She looked at him again, this time looking him straight in the eyes and then looking past him to glance at his parked BMW. He smiled within himself. Even if she wasn’t swayed by his good looks, his BMW looked enticing enough.
Can you do me a favor? She asked suddenly.
Sure, anything for you, he answered.

For a moment, her face had the semblance of wanting to break into a smile. Then she became serious again.
Do you have a jacket in your car and if you do, can you lend me?
That was the last request he’d expected and he was taken aback. But he walked briskly to his car and got out his jacket. He came back and handed it over to her, his face registering his surprise.
I hope you don’t mind, she asked. I have to tie this around my waist. . . .
He looked at her incredulously.

I’m stained, she informed him, her face a mix of shyness, embarrassment and shame.
OH!!! He exclaimed. He felt his face turn red. Nope, I don’t mind in the least, it’s all yours.
She stood up and tied the jacket, which in turn emphasized the smallness of her waist. Glancing at the stone bench, she got a wedge of tissue paper from her bag, moistened it with water from a plastic bottle in her bag and swiped the bench briskly with it. He watched mesmerized as she wrapped the tissue in a fresh wad and threw it in a waste basket nearby.

Disgusting, isn’t it? She asked as she walked back to him. I wouldn’t blame you if you’re ticked off right now. I mean, who does that to a total stranger? I’m so embarrassed!
Hey, it’s ok. Accidents happen. I guess it comes with being human, he pacified.
She picked her bag. Well, guys don’t have accidents, she exclaimed! I mean you guys don’t have to go through embarrassing situations like we females do. . . .
He smiled in his mind. Well, her person was making him have ‘an accident’ right now, but she didn’t have to know about that. . . .
Thanks a lot for your help and for being so nice about every thing, she told him solemnly. How do I get this back to you? She gestured at the jacket.
I can come and get it, he answered. Just give me your number.

Okay, she answered, calling the number out for him as he saved it on his BB. Her name was Tega.
He felt a sudden reluctance to let her out of his sight.
I could drop you, you know, he offered.

Thanks, but you have done enough for today. My friends were in lecture, I could have been stuck here for hours.

Ok, then. If you say so. By the way, I’m Tunji. My friends call me TJ.

She looked at him again with that small smile. ‘I’ll walk. See you around, Tunji!'

He watched her as she walked off. He felt strange seeing his favorite jacket tied around a girl’s waist. There was something very intimate about that. He also felt other feelings he couldn’t really decipher. But he felt glad that providence had gotten him a way of breaking the ice with the girl, so soon after his first failed attempt. Things were going well indeed!!
He whistled gaily as he went to get some snacks.

********************************************************************************************************************
So, if you're a lady reading this:
1. Have you ever gone through an embarrassing menstrual situation before ( a no/yes answer would suffice).
2. Assuming you were in the same position, would you ask a total stranger for help in this way?

For the guys:
1. What would you think of Tega if you were TJ?
2. What would you have done in his shoes?
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 12:23am On Jan 10, 2012
Maybe you guys could check it out in the romance section? So I don't create two same threads. Thanks!!!
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by Ubiero(f): 1:21am On Jan 10, 2012
Jst give us the thread link. So we can pik up frm there. Thanks. And yes, dis is gud write-up.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 1:53am On Jan 10, 2012
^^^
Thanks cheesy
But I guess I'd just have to copy the whole story on here too. I don't know how to post the link embarassed embarassed
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 1:56am On Jan 10, 2012
Tega lay in bed, thinking of what had happened in the afternoon. Gosh, why is it that bad occurrences just seem to seek her out?
‘I mean, who the heck gets stained at this level? That shiit is so secondary school’. She mused silently. Who knows, maybe Tunji was gisting his friends right at this moment, having a good laugh at her expense! She’d probably never hear from him again, not that she even wanted to see him anyway. He probably wouldn’t want the jacket back!

It wasn’t really her fault, she kept the dates and she knew when to expect her monthly visitor. But she had been really stressed lately, which had probably brought on an early onset. One moment, she had been feeling cool and funky. The next, she felt the familiar deluge and she had to confine herself to a bench until Tunji of all people had to come to her aid!
Tunji. Of course, she knew him. Who didn’t? He was easily the most popular guy on campus, very intelligent, but with a reputation of being an incorrigible ladies man.

She sighed again. She wondered if she could ever look him squarely in the eye.
What’s wrong with you, Zare, her friend and flatmate, asked with a puzzled expression. You’ve been so quiet!
Do I talk so much? Tega deflected.
No you don't. But today, it’s obvious something is wrong! You’ve been sighing, hissing and what not. Jor oh!
Tega smiled at the Yoruba cliche. Zare was from Katsina and had the Fulani-blooded looks to go with it. She had obviously been learning some new words from her.

As Tega made to answer, her phone started ringing.
Y’ello, she answered.
It’s Tunji. Just wanted to see how you were doing? Hope you’re cool and all?
Yes I am and thanks so much for your kind gesture this afternoon. I’m sorry if you found it embarrassing in any way!
Tega noted that Zare was listening to the conversation in open interest. She turned and faced the wall.
Nope, it wasn’t in the least. I was glad to have being in a position to help. So what are you up to, tonight?
Just resting my weary limbs. . . .She answered.
Ok. Just wanted to check on you. Will give you a call tomorrow.
He dropped before she could answer. She stared at the dead phone for a minute, then turned to face her friend whom she knew would be waiting to get the gist.
So who’s that, Zare queried.
A friend, Tega answered.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 1:57am On Jan 10, 2012
And what could he have found embarrassing? Zare pestered. You really sounded sorry and apologetic!
Well, actually, my period started unexpectedly and it was really heavy. I got stained and I had to sit in Coca Cola garden waiting till you were done with S.Typhi. I couldn't reach Joy and Dami. I was soooo desperate! But thankfully he came along and helped me out with his jacket and we had to exchange numbers.

Gosh, must have been embarrassing. Wouldn't want to be in your shoes at that moment, girl. But on the other hand, a knight in shining armour! Me likey! Maybe I need to do that too and get a new admirer just like you seem to have done!

Who said anything about admiring? Tega asked. A guy and a girl can just be friends, you know. . . .

Whatever! That’s what you will say. Then later, we’ll barely see you in this room again, cause you’ll be busy spending your weekends at his place, Zare said, gesturing at the empty space belonging to Joy and Dami, their other roommates.

Goodness, you mean they’ve gone again? Tega asked, shaking her head. What is WRONG with these girls!?

Hey, better keep your opinions to yourself. Because the next thing we’ll be hearing is how you’re just being jealous because you don’t have a boyfriend. It’s their life; they’ll live with their decisions. They are offering husband 101 course, you're busy taking panadol for their headache! Jor oh!
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 1:57am On Jan 10, 2012
Enabo brought in the pot of spaghetti and meatballs from the miniscule kitchen, which he placed on the newspaper he had earlier spread on the rug. Even though it was TJ’s place, his friends sure knew how to make themselves feel at home. Chuks and MD quickly dropped the P.S pads they were holding to get forks from the kitchen.

TJ peered inside the pot as he buttoned up and shook his head in exasperation. The spaghetti looked too glossy to be for real. He was sure some raw vegetable oil had been added after cooking, something that wasn’t out of character for Enabo. The other guys got back with their forks and congregated round the steaming pot, dipping and lifting out huge chunks of spaghetti.

TJ had no intention of joining them. They were experts in eating hot food and that was their strategy in keeping him away after raiding his own kitchen and cooking his own food. If it wasn’t about hot and half cooked food, it would be about Enabo adding weed to the food. There was always one issue or the other with food cooked by them. As a result, he rarely ate with them!

He had on a light, pink shirt, dark pink tie and grey slacks. He had a date with Tega (well, to be sincere, he’d only told her he wanted to come and see her). He was normally more of a casual dresser, but something about Tega made him want to dress to impress.
As he wore one of his patent leather shoes, Enabo glanced at him incredulously.

'Ol boy eh, see this guy o! If person see am for outside, dem go think say na one better interview im dey go. Dem no know say na woman im wan take am deceive! Shuooooo'! They guffawed in merry laughter, mouths filled spaghetti.

Face your food, jor! How e take consain you? He answered.
He picked his car keys and left the room.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by maclatunji: 1:47pm On Jan 11, 2012
You are a really accomplished writer. Some people who have published material aren't a quarter as good as this.

#Impressed tongue grin
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by thiscounts(m): 1:02pm On Jan 12, 2012
I went through your work at Romance section and I could say you are doing 'enviously' well with a lot of fans over there.Nice story.Nigeria potentials are in abundance,u are one of the untapped resources,brighter than oil. smiley wink cheesy
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by Switup: 9:04pm On Jan 13, 2012
Hi lola luv i've been into ur story on NAIRATION. It was damn sweet dearie. Bt wetin dey happen naaaaa ure keepin me myself and time waiting
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:20pm On Mar 08, 2012
When he got to Tega’s place, he adjusted his tie and gave her a call that he was outside. She came out and he couldn't resist staring at her as she walked down to the car. She was in masculine knee length camo shorts and a t-shirt. He felt a small stab of jealousy as he wondered if it belonged to a boyfriend. She opened the door of the car and got in front. She was holding his jacket.

Whats up, he greeted, trying not to look down at her legs. So he looked every where except at her.
Hi, she smiled. She twisted to drop the jacket in the back seat and he smelt a brief whiff of her perfume. He cleared his throat.

That's a nice shirt, she complimented. Are you just getting back from an occasion or something?
Well, well. I…em. Not really. Would you like to get some lunch with me or something? He quickly added.
I’m not particularly hungry, she answered. I just had some food. Are you hungry?
I’m famished, he affirmed.
Well, she answered. Why don’t you come on in and get a bite? It’s the least I can do after all you did for me. . . .
Hey! No, wouldn’t want to inconvenience you, he answered.

Nah! You’re not doing that. Except if you don’t like beans and plantain which is what I made, she said firmly.
He had no choice. It was one of his favorite and it had been a while he last ate the home cooked version. He tried making it sometimes but, it always ended up been half done, no matter how long he boiled it.
He locked up and followed her to the self contained she shared with three other girls.
This is Zare, my flatmate and friend, she introduced. The other two aren’t around for now. After exchanging pleasantries, he sat on the only chair he could see and looked round the quaint room. They had piled their student mattresses together to make a wider one. It looked very neat and well kept.
Nice room, he complimented.
Thank you, it's not a lot but at least it's ok. We had to get it when we couldn't secure accommodation.
He watched her out of the corner of his eyes as she walked down to the kitchen. She came back with a tray of food. It looked very inviting and when he tasted it, it didn’t disappoint.

‘Hey, this is really nice’, he complimented.

Really? And just so you know, I didn’t buy it from a food vendor, she joked.
He guffawed. I guess I owe you apologies on behalf of my friends.
She shrugged. Well, I don’t really mind. They don’t know me. Wouldn’t let stuff like that bug me. . . .
He watched her as she spoke.

Gosh, she was lovely. Her face was glowing and make up free. Her hair was packed in a tight bun and he felt like pulling it loose and running his fingers through it. His fingers twitched. He decided to look away from her face in order to break the spell she was inadvertently casting on him. Instead, he found his eyes drawn to her silky smooth legs. He quickly looked into his food.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:21pm On Mar 08, 2012
Is there anything wrong? She queried.
Hmmmn? he questioned, looking up.
You’ve been frowning into your food. Did it by any means offend you?

Nope, he replied laughing. I was just thinking about some stuffs. So tell me about yourself!
As they gisted, he found out quite a few things about her. She was in her third year at the University, a student of Fine Art. After eating, he looked at some of her works. He was very very impressed. And admiration was just the least of what he was feeling.
Zare was amused as she watched them clandestinely. Hmmmmn. Maybe someone finally liked a guy. Finally!

When TJ had finally gone and Tega back to the room from seeing him off, Zare turned to her friend.
Interesting, she said, nodding her head in amusement and her eyes twinkling in merry mischief.
What is? Tega asked as she reclined on the mattress, even though she had a pretty good idea of what Zare was going to say.
You and TJ now.
What about me and him?

Hmmmmn. Well, sha. I don’t blame you. He’s good looking and…
Bone that o. He’s a new friend I made and moreover, I am not searching!
Don’t worry about you not searching. He’ll do the searching! Zare laughed. I could….
Before she could finish Dami burst into the room, carrying two big shopping bags and tottering dangerously on high heels. She had her phone clutched in her fist and her designer bag in the other.
Hey girls, she trilled. She flopped on her mattress, dropping the two bags by her feet on the ground. She was a tall, slim and lithe with a light complexion greatly helped by her expensive cream.

Dami, what’s with the disappearing act? Tega queried. You don’t even tell us you’re not going to be sleeping in the room, you just disappear! And if we don’t call you, you don’t deem it fit to call us and tell us. You know that we’re accountable to everyone because we stay together, right? Same with Joy too.
No vex, abeg. How I for do, na. My Oga was around on an impromptu visit. Gosh, I’m so tired! Fagged out is more like the word. My guy wouldn’t let me be. Chai, love will not kill me oooh….

Tega switched off her mind from the conversation. She wasn’t really interested in what she knew Dami was about saying. She found her mind wandering to Tunji for the umpteenth time. He wasn't a secret that he was tops in his class (even though he wasn't a 'jack o meter') and he was handsome too. She wondered if he liked her in a romantic way as Zare had claimed. She couldn’t imagine a guy like him being single. Maybe he was just being nice….
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:26pm On Mar 08, 2012
Babe, whats up? Tega was shaken from her reverie. It was Dami tickling her lightly on the waist. I heard TJ was here? As in, came to check on you?
Oh! Yeah, Tunji was here earlier, she answered, trying to make it sound boring so the topic could be dropped. No success however.
Dami shrieked and gave Zare a high five; she then turned back to Tega. ‘So tell me, when are you agreeing for the guy, na!’
What do you mean?

I mean, when you are saying 'yes' to him. No dulling o. That guy has deep pockets; I learnt he spends for his girls a lot. Not like all this "small small" boys!
Listen to yourself, Tega replied in a chilly voice. Are you advising me to go for someone who has “girls” as opposed to “a girl”?

Dami however, was undeterred as she continued: See this one o, abeg, leave matter for Matthias. Once you’re being taken care of, who gives an eff if he’s effing all the girls in school? Get a leg in first of all, and then you’ll deal with your other rivals! Abi how you see am, Zare?
Dami turned to Zare for support but she was busy giggling, so she turned back to Tega again.
Look, girl. You really need….
She was cut off by the ringing of her phone. She quickly picked.

‘Hello, Baby. I’m ok…I’m in the room…no, I came back immediately…no, I didn’t switch off….I’m serious, no, I didn’t. I’m not lying. Zare and Tega are here….’
Dami listened for a bit before extending the phone to Zare. ‘It’s Carl’
Zare spoke to him for a bit and bid him bye, then extended the phone to Tega. Tega collected the phone with an inward grimace. She and Carl were not really the best of friends.
Hello, Carl.
Hi. How are you?
I’m fine. Thank you.
So what are you girls up to?

Tega thought she could detect a sneer in his voice but she wasn't too sure.
We were just gisting. Girls stuff, you know, she replied.
Hmmmn. Not planning to attend any wild parties, I hope? Because you ladies when left alone can get up to all sorts of things.
Tega felt anger rising up in her chest. Her grip tightened on the phone.

I have to go now, she managed to say sweetly. Bye. She handed the phone back to the owner.

What is wrong with the guy? Did she look like his girlfriend or something? Wild party? What nonsense! As she got up from the mattress and walked to the kitchen to start with the dishes, she heard Dami explaining something to Carl earnestly. She felt anger rushing thickly through her veins. Who has the time to start mollycoddling grown arze guys and calling them ‘baby’? Certainly not me! She muttered silently.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
*************************************************************************************
It was a bright, yet partly chilly day. Tega dug her hands deep into her jacket pockets as she alighted from the Taxi. She’d run out of some of her drawing pencils and she needed some putty too. She had a project, an assignment in the studio which she urgently needed to complete for submission. The lecturer had just announced that he’d be getting the assignment on the morrow and she had been dilly-dallying for weeks, not knowing that submission would turn out to be so soon!

As she hurried into the bookshop, she almost collided with TJ. She smiled, unconsciously pleased to see him.
Whats up? What are you doing here? She asked, surprised to see him at the bookshop.
Hello, Tega. Came to get some things, he answered somewhat coldly. Are you going back to school? He asked.
Yep, just spare me a minute. She rushed into the shop, while he unlocked and waited for her in the car.

As they started driving back to school, it occurred to her that he hadn’t been too enthusiastic in his greeting. What was going on? Last time they'd seen, everything went well! What had happened between then and now?

There was an oppressive silence in the car as he drove. She was uncomfortable. She sneaked a side look at him. He had put on dark sun glasses, effectively hiding his eyes behind them. What was wrong with guys? She wondered. Why put on dark shades when you were in your car and not under the sun?
In order to break the silence, she sighed. These lecturers, I’m so tired of their behavior!
What about them? He asked.
Can you believe, one of them just came and asked us to submit an assignment tomorrow. I was like; you’ve got to be kidding me! Why not give us prior warning? What do they think we are? Robots??

He kept silent, a small frown on his face. As the short trip back to school progressed, she made small talk and tried to involve him, but he grunted short answers. Discouraged, she finally decided to keep quiet.
When he parked in front of the studio, she thanked him and attempted to open the door. He placed a restraining hand on her shoulder . . . she turned to look at him and he removed the dark sunglasses.
I know I haven’t been good company this afternoon, Tega. …
No, she told him brightly. There’s no problem. She shrugged off his hand and made to open the door again.
Look, Tega. I’m sorry, he said.
You're sorry. For what? Have you done anything to me?
I had an issue with one of my lecturers this afternoon. It’s giving me concern, I've been running things through my mind, trying to see how I can contain damages.
What happened, she asked. He hesitated.
It’s really nothing! He answered.
She looked at him incredulously. Do you even consider me a friend? This thing is bugging you so much and you want to fob me off with a “it’s really nothing”?
Looking at her, he was tempted to laugh. Especially as she repeated “it’s really nothing” in a masculine voice. But he kept a straight face.

Ok. Don’t nag off my ears, he conceded. Here’s the deal. I was supposed to have a PowerPoint presentation today and I picked off my system from a friend this morning. In class, I switch it on and guess what comes on the screen….

You mean the screen of your lappy? She queried.
No. On the projecting screen on the wall, for the whole class including the Lecturer.
What?
Well, a not-so-nice picture, he explained sheepishly. Kinda dirty. My friend changed my screen saver and the lecturer didn't seem too pleased with what he saw!
She stared at him for a moment as if she wanted to knock some sense into his head and she didn’t look like she believed that it was his friend that was responsible for the gaffe. He shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny.

Which lecturer was in class, she asked at last.
There’s this man we call Engine, do you know him?
I know him. You are really over your head in this, she informed him, shaking her head. Of all people, Engine is the worst class you chose to have something like that happen to you! He's a man of high morals. . .I know him. He attends my church too!

Yeah, I know. About the moral aspect, I mean. He walked me out of class. I don’t know if he’s going to allow me re-present another time, TJ confided, letting out a deep breath of frustration. And hey, I'm a man of high morals too, he added, looking straight into her eyes.

She snorted in disbelief. Whats my own? She asked. How is it my business?
Well, I'm getting these vibes from you like you think I was careless or I was the owner of the implicating picture!
Does it matter what I think? She asked. . . .
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2012
Will keep on updating. . . .
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by EfemenaXY: 12:04am On Mar 09, 2012
incredibly good! More pls Lola smiley smiley
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:32am On Mar 09, 2012
TJ let out a deep breath in anticipation of getting some well deserved rest. He brought out his key to unlock the door to his apartment. Everywhere seemed quiet. Debola, (his cousin who had called him hours ago to inform him of his arrival in town) was probably sleeping; seeing that his somewhat battered Audi was parked in the driveway.

Dayum, he needed to rest too. He’d gone out quite early in the morning to apologise to Engine for the umpteenth time since yesterday. Engine in turn subjected him to what seemed like hours of preaching on the evils of indecency before informing him coldly;

‘I have decided to give you another chance, seeing that you are one of my best students’. He looked at him sternly over his glasses before continuing; ‘But I’m giving you a new topic. You have just three days to prepare! I think I gave you too much time the first time around, leaving you with excess time to fool around. Now, copy this down….’

He had gone from there to the library to research the new question and from there he attended his other lectures too. His mind was set on getting a qualitative paper to present to Engine in the short time he’d been given.

He unlocked the door and tried to push, it wouldn’t budge. It was locked from the inside. He pushed again, then knocked.
‘Debola, I’m back’, he announced, knocking loudly. Poor tired dude, probably asleep….he muttered. He knocked again.
The door opened slightly and Debola peeped out blithely from the small crack. Fine sweat glistened on his face and he smiled apologetically on seeing his cousin.
Hey, coz, he stuttered. ‘Sup. Em…spare me a minute, ok? My woman is. . .dude, abeg. I get 'unfinished business!'

TJ felt frustration wash over him. So much for an afternoon of rest and quiet!
Guy, you just got into town nah! He protested feebly.

Yeah, mehn! You know how it is, Debola winked, bringing out his hand with the intention of shaking his cousin. TJ looked at the extended arm and grimaced. Dude, I’m not shaking that hand, he answered. And scrub those hands very well before you even think of raiding my fridge, he said loudly as he began walking back to his car. Debola slammed the door in answer. TJ resignedly lowered himself in the seat of his car and decided to take a nap, awaiting the end of Debola's tryst.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:39am On Mar 09, 2012
That evening, it was a full house. Enabo, Wizzy, Yellowman and Debola. There were empty sticks of Suya piled on a newspaper and empty cans of beer littering the rug. Wizzy and Enabo played football on the PS. Debola was pinging his girl and Yellowman was intermittently swigging the contents of a bottle of Baron Du Ville. TJ was hard at work with some calculations regarding his ‘Engine’ presentation.
Ol boy, na wetin na! Chill! Debola said, looking at his cousin. Book fit crase pesin!
Enabo chuckled, tapping furiously on the PS pad. Your cousin done turn Jacko o, he leered. Na im work be that! We don dey use to am!

TJ shook his head in amusement as he looked up from the open note in front of him. Look at this guy, he gestured towards Enabo. He singlehandedly destroyed my reputation with Engine yesterday in class and he’s responsible for me having to redo this presentation.

Guy, a don apologise na. The one wey pain me pass na the double work wey you dey do, Enabo replied.
What about the indignity of having Engine see the indecent pic you used as my laptop's screensaver? TJ asked Enabo, as the other guys chuckled.
Guy, even though Engine dey always squeeze face as if dem jus spray bitter leaf water put for im mouth, forget! Na im type dey watch mojo pass sef! Enabo replied.
The others laughed raucously while TJ kept a straight serious face, going back to his calculations.
You sef suppose loosen up, guy. Enabo told TJ. Mojo nor be new thing. E don tay…. Engine just dey overheat over simple matter!

How TJ go loosen up? You know the last time wey im pop 'champagne'? Wizzy laughed. Pressure don high!! That your Pastress abi na Tega nor dey try at all!!
Yes, a sabi the chick. Enabo exclaimed. One of im coursemate tell me say, e be like say na iron pant she bin dey wear. But TJ still dey follow wetin dey on a long tin!
Make una free me, jor. TJ answered. Enabo, na everybody you sabi for this campus?
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:50am On Mar 09, 2012
Yes, a sabi the chick. Enabo exclaimed. One of im coursemate tell me say, e be like say na iron pant she bin dey wear. But TJ still dey follow wetin dey on a long tin!
Make una free me, jor. TJ answered. Enabo, na everybody you sabi for this campus?

They all laughed.
Debola nodded his head and announced; ‘No wonder the guy was beefing me this afternoon as he come house see say I don carry my woman enter room. Him refuse to shake my hand sef!

I sabi all the 'crevices' wey your hand just dey comot from? Wey you come extend am for me to shake? Imagine, I tire as I come from class. Meeehn, I bin think say na to come chill for crib remain. Next time, Debola, just carry your nonsense go somewhere else. And no forget; carry my sheets go dry clean first thing tomorrow morning! TJ answered to general laughter.

But you suppose shake im hand, na. Maybe some of im goodluck go rub off on you. You go need am with this your church “sister” wey you dey chase, Yellowman chuckled.

Before Agro wire you finish! Enabo added with glee. He had kept well away from women since his ex left him. And it pleased him perversely to no end that another guy was on the same path of forced abstinence as himself.

I bin complain? TJ asked as he packed his books together in a neat pile near the wall, wore one of his shirts hanging in the wardrobe and picked his car keys.

‘See you guys later’, he informed them.

He smiled as he walked towards his car. His friends: not a dull moment with them around. They weren’t perfect but they had good hearts and were more like brothers to him. They had turned his house to theirs, and came and left as they saw fit. He didn’t mind, especially as they cleaned up before leaving. They all knew about his neat streak.

Once inside the car, he rested his head on the steering. He remembered his conversation with Tega the previous day. She had looked at him blankly when he’d told her he was a man of high morals too. Yes, he’d made mistakes in the past and had always had a bevy of ladies swarming round him. But since the beginning of first semester 400 Level, he’d settled down somewhat, and had decided to get serious with a sole chick! His dad’s illness had helped in the decision too, had made him realize he didn’t have all the time in the world to impress and make his parents proud of him. He only had the privilege while they were still alive. He had always been good with his books but in the time left before graduation, he was determined to be truly worthy of taking his space in his dad’s construction company, courtesy of being the best darn building Engineer he could be! He knew though that his mum’s secret wish was to see him tied down to a suitable woman.
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 10:51am On Mar 09, 2012
He needed a good woman by his side and his guts told him Tega was the real deal. But how was he to convince her HE was the the real deal, not just some player out to break her heart? It wasn’t like he didn’t know how to get hot and heavy, plying her with gifts and calls; he just didn’t want to ply that route anymore. She was so damn unpredictable; he didn’t want to rush her before she’d push him out of her life. Yet, as the days passed, he got jittery at the prospect of a faster guy grabbing her affections. He knew she wasn’t dating anyone, at least, not in school. He had taken the pains to find that out. Maybe he should start going with her to her fellowship? He knew she was the church type!

He couldn't help smiling at the thought and at the jibes he was sure to get from his friends.
On a whim, he decided to call her. Since he was bolting away of the disturbing presence of his friends, he might as well escape into her soothing company!

Can I take you out for dinner? He queried as soon as she picked.

Hello to you too, she answered.

Sorry about that. I guess I was quite eager. Hello, he amended.
Hi! She answered.

Now that we’re done with customary greetings, can I go to the main point now? Can I take you out for dinner? He queried.
What’s the occasion? She quipped.
Do you need an occasion before you can eat dinner? He joked.
Well, it’s kinda late, she answered. I wasn’t really planning on eating tonight.
Watching your weight? He joked.
Yes, oh! Lepa is the in-thing now. She said flippantly, so he knew she was teasing him.
You are fine just the way you are, he answered. Even if you were round, that is still a shape. So are we having dinner? Do I come pick you? He asked as she laughed.
Alright, she answered. But we aren’t staying too late, are we?
Nope, we won’t.
Ok, she finally acquiesced.
He drove down to her place lost in deep thoughts. He really had to get through to her somehow….
******************************************************************************************
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by lolaluv1(f): 11:05am On Mar 09, 2012
@efe
thanx for d headsup, Efe. I saw yours 2, very nyc!
Re: Campus Blues. . . . by Hoyeenz(f): 3:39pm On Mar 12, 2012
Pls, kindly stop ds suspense.

(1) (Reply)

Battle Of The Bowel. / Pls Where Can I Download Interesting Novels By Nigerian Writters / A Short Christmas Story Of Hope (miracle Still Happen)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.