Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,573 members, 7,820,059 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Don’t Argue, Discuss - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Don’t Argue, Discuss (654 Views)

5 Things I Notice Every Time I Argue With Theist(s) / See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian / People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Argue, Discuss by yommyuk: 6:13am On Jan 10, 2012
Having a healthy discussion has the potential to build relationships and result in a “win” for everyone involved. On the other hand, arguments are rarely good. Why? They are forceful attempts to change another person’s point of view, and thus result in a "winner" and a “loser."
Arguments always cause some damage, even if you "win." The next time you find yourself involved in a conflict of opinion; use these guidelines to make it a DISCUSSION—resolving the issue while building the relationship.

Welcome the Disagreement. The other person may have a perspective you haven’t considered, so be thankful for it. Maybe this is your chance to be corrected before making a mistake.

Distrust Your First Inclination to Defend Yourself. Defensiveness is often a natural reaction. But be careful—when you justify yourself, it’s hard to change your position later. Plus, you’ll miss the benefit of the other person’s ideas.

Control Your Temper. Getting angry always makes communication harder, not easier. So simmer down before you blow your top.

Listen First. Give your "opponent" a chance to talk. Don’t defend or debate. Build bridges of understanding, not barriers of misunderstanding.

Look for Areas of Agreement. Dwell on areas where you agree. This establishes common ground, helping you find a solution good for both of you.

Be Honest. Look for areas where you can admit error, then do it. This disarms others and reduces their defensiveness.

Promise to Think Over Their Ideas. Tell the person that you will consider his point of view, and actually do it. He may be right, after all.

Thank Them Sincerely for Their Desire to Help. Most people who take time to disagree with you are interested in positive results, the same as you are. Welcome that.

Postpone Action So You Both Can Think Through the Problem. If need be, suggest another meeting. To prepare, ask yourself some hard questions about your "side," and focus on a mutually beneficial solution.

Be Willing to Agree to Disagree. Sometimes you may need to accept your difference of opinion and move on. Be flexible whenever possible.

Genesis 13:7-8
“And quarreling arose between Abram’s herdsmen and the herdsmen of Lot. The Canaanites and Perizzites were also living in the land at that time. So Abram said to Lot, Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers.” (NIV)

Philippians 2:3-4
“Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” (NKJV)

Philippians 2:14 -16
“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold on to the word of life.” (NIV)

PRAYER
May the words of our mouth and the meditation of our heart be acceptable to God in Jesus mighty name.

God bless wink
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by OmoPastor(m): 7:01am On Jan 10, 2012
Very insightful piece. love it and thank you. God bless your heart!
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by yommyuk: 2:55pm On Sep 14, 2012
smiley
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by CrazyMan(m): 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2012
I feel refreshed...thanks for the write up.
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 14, 2012
My dear this will only work when Pharisees desist from calling their fellow brother an unbeliever, a lost soul or anti-Christ , just because he has a different point of view to their system of theology.

otherwise great write up.
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by MacDaddy01: 3:54pm On Sep 14, 2012
frosbel: My dear this will only work when Pharisees desist from calling their fellow brother an unbeliever, a lost soul or anti-Christ , just because he has a different point of view to their system of theology.

otherwise great write up.

You say this after condemning atheists?

If I believed in god, I would have said; "god punish you, Frosbel, for your hypocrisy"

But since I dont believe......Frosbel, you are a damn hypocrite.

Fake azz christian.
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You say this after condemning atheists?

If I believed in god, I would have said; "god punish you, Frosbel, for your hypocrisy"

But since I dont believe......Frosbel, you are a damn hypocrite.

Fake azz christian.

Thanks Macdaddy, now go and read your books grin
Re: Don’t Argue, Discuss by MacDaddy01: 4:24pm On Sep 14, 2012
frosbel:

Thanks Macdaddy, now go and read your books grin

Go and masturbate

(1) (Reply)

Four Radical Muslim Men Admit London Stock Exchange Bomb Plot / Have You Tried To Preach To Yourself Before? / You Must Leave March To Cleave To April.(read What God Is Saying To You)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.