Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,046 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! (4723 Views)

Pictures Of Hired Youths Protesting Against Subsidy Probe Panel’s Report / Kaduna Police Using Force Against Subsidy Protesters? / PHOTONEWS: #HungerStrike Protest Against Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Chyz2: 4:14am On Jan 11, 2012
[size=15pt]Subsidy Removal: Catholic priests, lawyers, others join protest in Enugu[/size]

On January 11, 2012 · In News

| 12:45 am

BY CHINENYEH OZOR

ENUGU – Catholic priests, lawyers and civil society organisations in Nsukka, yesterday, defied ban on rallies by Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State and protested against the increase in pump price of petrol from N65 to N141 by the Federal Government.

The demonstrators took to the streets in trucks, tippers and horses, denouncing the hardship inflicted on the masses by the President Goodluck Jonathan-led administration, even as banks and public schools remained closed.

Also, thousands of market women, who were unable to join their colleagues during the protest, converged at the St Theresa’s Catholic Cathedral to pray for “Nigeria in distress’’ just as other demonstrators carried placards with different inscriptions denouncing the new petrol price, thus bringing economic activities in the area to a standstill.

Addressing the demonstrators at St. John’s Parish, Ugwuoye, Nsukka, Director, National Human Rights Corps, Mr Jonathan Ogbuka, said the new increase in pump price of petrol had shown that the government was not bothered about the welfare of its citizens, as it amounted to burying them alive.

Ogbuka noted that President Jonathan should first of all reduce the huge expenditure by the government to maintain the presidency, adding that it was inhuman for Jonathan to spend N1billion on food alone this year apart from the billions budgeted for security, while the masses walloped in abject poverty.

The Police Area Commander, Nsukka, Mohamed Lawal and the Divisional Police Officer, Mr Jacob Muri followed the protesters from the beginning till about 5pm to ensure that the peaceful procession was not hijacked by hoodlums.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/subsidy-removal-catholic-priests-lawyers-others-join-protest-in-enugu/
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by htajz: 5:07am On Jan 11, 2012
Mscheew , nsuka no be village? The earlier everybody go rest the better for all of us, there are more important issues right now than subsidy.we are at the brink of breaking upand people are more concerened about oil, how delusional can nigerians be. Somepeople are waiting for soldiers to attack them or bomb their homes before they understand that we are in the middle of a civil war right now.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by 2mch(m): 6:06am On Jan 11, 2012
Thumbs up for the people of Enugu. Some people have started using Horses. Why evils na? Wetin poor man go do na? Donkey and cart while our government officials get subsidized under "government. Hardship allowance". Time to go and protest, Nigeria must be better
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:54am On Jan 11, 2012
Chyz*:

[size=15pt]Subsidy Removal: `ENUGU – [b]Catholic priests, lawyers and civil society organisations in Nsukka, yesterday, defied ban on rallies by Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State and protested against the increase in pump price of petrol from N65 to N141 by the Federal Government.demonstrators took to the streets in trucks, tippers and horses,

Also, thousands of market women, who were unable to join their colleagues during the protest, converged at the St Theresa’s Catholic Cathedral to pray for “Nigeria in distress’’

Handful of NLC members and not southeast masses, besides Nsukka is hardly Enugu. The rest are prayer group not protesters.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by phreakabit(m): 8:19am On Jan 11, 2012
[size=15pt]@OP quit being a tard, fuel has always been expensive in the East. What is the sense in anyone from the East joining. And even though I am in support of the strike. I don't think anyone from the East should join in.[/size]
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 11, 2012
@Chyz

Talk sense into your igbo people's head. Why are they confusing Nigeria? Why are they drawing back and not joining the fight wholeheartedly? why are they backstabbers and backbiters? Is it because they put GEJ there or the fake igbo alliance in 'ebere azikiwe'? If you want us in the south and the west to join you in the fight for liberation, you guys better know where your loyalty lies or you guys will fight alone!
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by stiyke(m): 9:17am On Jan 11, 2012
diluminati:

@Chyz

Talk sense into your igbo people's head. Why are they confusing Nigeria? Why are they drawing back and not joining the fight wholeheartedly? why are they backstabbers and backbiters? Is it because they put GEJ there or the fake igbo alliance in 'ebere azikiwe'? If you want us in the south and the west to join you in the fight for liberation, you guys better know where your loyalty lies or you guys will fight alone!
Have you ever thought if they support the subsidy removal??
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 11, 2012
I didn't know human beings lived in Erugu, oh well, u learn something new everyday.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by AmAlone: 9:21am On Jan 11, 2012
Most Important Thing Now Is That
We Are All Moving Forward. . . . .
& The Gate Of Hell SHall Not Prevail Against US. . . .

Oluwa Champion!!!!
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by rango2011(m): 9:21am On Jan 11, 2012
Even if they are pro-jonathan, the occupy movement is an avenue to voice out against corruption and waste .occupynigeria goes beyond subsidy to even pushing your state governors to do more and b accountable to the people.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by blueheart(m): 9:24am On Jan 11, 2012
So, d aa jee okuta maa mu omi av seen d wind of protest blowing, welcome brothers. We must all b unified against d common oppressor
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by saintohia: 9:26am On Jan 11, 2012
MORE ACTION, ONE SERIOUS EXAMPLE ON A KNOWN CORRUPT CABAL, THE REST OF SE WLD JOIN.

CORRUPTION MUST BE STOPPED IN NIGERIA.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by rango2011(m): 9:31am On Jan 11, 2012
My igbo brothers and sisters, we need to take a stand now, its not just about goodluck, its about your corrupt government officials, your corrupt local government chaierman,commissioners,governors, they need to feel the heat of the people and the masses.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by hollandis(f): 9:38am On Jan 11, 2012
Thank God that they took a look away from the foolish governor,imagining chime ,a man without integrity commandeering the people of enugu,he is mad
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by phreakabit(m): 9:38am On Jan 11, 2012
diluminati:

@Chyz

[s]Talk sense into your igbo people's head. Why are they confusing Nigeria? Why are they drawing back and not joining the fight wholeheartedly? why are they backstabbers and backbiters? Is it because they put GEJ there or the fake igbo alliance in 'ebere azikiwe'? If you want us in the south and the west to join you in the fight for liberation, you guys better know where your loyalty lies or you guys will fight alone![/s]

[img]http://www.wintellect.com/cs/photos/pmehner/images/3808/399x325.aspx[/img]
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by rango2011(m): 9:41am On Jan 11, 2012
I'm yoruba by birth and igbo by business, but all this arrangement dem get with jonathan , no go work, if they can't stand for justice or the teruth, they shld forget getting votes from other parts of the country like the north,aouth west and middle belt.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Pukkah: 9:47am On Jan 11, 2012
So people in the SE should not protest because fuel has always been expensive there, eh? Won't fuel become more expensive for them now? Also, how does this address the unanswered questions on subsidy?

@OP, the anger in the land is deeper than the removal of subsidy. It also shows that you can't muzzle the people for long.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by aljharem(m): 9:55am On Jan 11, 2012
rango2011:

I'm yoruba by birth and igbo by business, but all this arrangement dem get with jonathan , no go work, if they can't stand for justice or the teruth, they shld forget getting votes from other parts of the country like the north,aouth west and middle belt.

as for the north; yes certainly and they know. Insha Allah

They need to know that people would only follow you irrespective of religion and tribe IF YOU LEAD THEM TO FREEDOM

You cannot support the increase because GEJ is Igbo or so. It is morally wrong

NLC South east has done a terrible job betraying Nigeria by calling off the strike in the south east. I mean it is called NIGERIA LABOUR CONGRESS not South east labour congress thus they have to follow orders but did not

Pukkah:

So people in the SE should not protest because fuel has always been expensive there, eh? Won't fuel become more expensive for them now? Also, how does this address the unanswered questions on subsidy?

@OP, the anger in the land is deeper than the removal of subsidy. It also shows that you can't muzzle the people for long.

Do you know today there was activitive in asaba while warri is a ghost town ?

another foolish statement they make is that fuel has always been expensive in the east thus they support it. How foolish indeed. If fuel was even 100 naira in the east, now it would be 250 naira or even more. although that is a lie as usual.

I brought fuel in Anambra state before and even the most rural area fuel was sold for 70-80 naira maximum, so spreading lies that fuel was 100 naira in the east is just funny but people chose to ignore them. Imagine another say pure water was always 10 or 20 naira in the east when I bought it for 5 naira in nnewi

I dey laugh o
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by dmainboss: 9:58am On Jan 11, 2012
diluminati:

@Chyz

They are back biters and backstabbers? The last time I checked, they were betrayed by your forefathers. Remember the Aburi Accord? You must be 5 years old. This is the time for the south west to take the lead. The rest of us will just sit back and watch. When you get there, let us know. And please dont talk to us about loyalty because you really are short on that. I wouldnt stake my 2 cents on you.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by phreakabit(m): 10:06am On Jan 11, 2012
dmainboss:

They are back biters and backstabbers? The last time I checked, they were betrayed by your forefathers. Remember the Aburi Accord? You must be 5 years old. This is the time for the south west to take the lead. The rest of us will just sit back and watch. When you get there, let us know. And please dont talk to us about loyalty because you really are short on that. I wouldnt stake my 2 cents on you.

I have a lot of Yoruba "friends", but if there's one thing they know me for, its telling them to their face I wouldn't stake half a kobo on their sense of loyalty. They have treachery embedded in their DNA .
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by LEXYLOV: 10:51am On Jan 11, 2012
In my response to the post of yesterday when Gov obi was trying to exclude ndigbo from the current situation and vow all igbos alliance to the incompetent president, many people used that post to start their sentiments talks on igbos again. I said that Governor was trying to gain his solidarity recognition with GEJ not speaking the mind of ndigbo as a whole. I'm not an igbo man but I know for sure our igbo brothers doen't think the way Gov Obi does and they are included in the matter that affecting their country. UP ndigbo Up One Voice Up unity.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by pharmow: 11:10am On Jan 11, 2012
I need to caution all that this should not turn to tribalistic bruhaha. Let all have it in mind that this protest is not only about fuel subsidy removal but a big fight against corruption. We Nigerians have been keeping quiet for too long and I think it is high time we stood up against bad governance and as fate will have it this fuel subsidy removal has triggered the objection of people to corrupt leaders mismanaging our resources. I personally do not totally object fuel subsidy removal because sooner or later there will be need for the subsidy removal but the timing is wrong and people has lost trust in the government because we have been promised severally and betrayed.

If I were GEJ I will revert the PMS price then think of building trust people have in my government before talking about fuel subsidy removal. If he thinks people will get tired and forfeit the protest as a result of hunger. He is doomed, because if it eventually happens people will lose trust in him and he will forever be tagged as one of the worst leader in the history of this country.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by rhymz(m): 11:39am On Jan 11, 2012
alj harem:

They need to know that people would only follow you irrespective of religion and tribe IF YOU LEAD THEM TO FREEDOM

NLC South east has done a terrible job betraying Nigeria by calling off the strike in the south east. I mean it is called NIGERIA LABOUR CONGRESS not South east labour congress thus they have to follow orders but did not

Do you know today there was activitive in asaba while warri is a ghost town ?

another foolish statement they make is that fuel has always been expensive in the east thus they support it. How foolish indeed. If fuel was even 100 naira in the east, now it would be 250 naira or even more. although that is a lie as usual.

I brought fuel in Anambra state before and even the most rural area fuel was sold for 70-80 naira maximum, so spreading lies that fuel was 100 naira in the east is just funny but people chose to ignore them. Imagine another say pure water was always 10 or 20 naira in the east when I bought it for 5 naira in nnewi

I dey laugh o

Unfortunately for you and your likes, the people of the eastern region are way smarter than your average gwongworo brained almajiri. No amount of lies and twisting of facts can change the fact that easterners have learnt to choose their battles and this one obviously seems to be one of them.
All these vindictive hausa/fulanis think they are smart. . .hahahaha. . Gone are the days when easterners and Igbos in particular take actions like that en mass disregarding what it will portend for them in the future, Nigeria of today has taught us enough lessons to be wiser in the way we wade in into issues.
Like I have always said, choosing to join the protest is a personal choice of every individual, it should not be forced on anyone. For instance, I am Igbo but I totally do not support the subsidy removal, contrary to the nonsense one reads here on NL many Igbos do not support this new policy. It is only Hausa-fulani tribal lackey like yourself that choose to see and percieve what you want to percieve. Just get one thing straight, nobody has the right to force or ban anyone from what they choose to do.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by lagcity(m): 12:51pm On Jan 11, 2012
dmainboss:

b4 nko? of course we'll take the lead becos we are naturals at that and this is our kontry, u ppl are just tenants. we don't wait for others like the igbos who wait to see if yorubas are with them or not. but know this, we don't wanna hear any whining from you ppl when we are done with all these and are reaping the rewards. i know u igbo folks well, u have the whining DNA in you.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by lagcity(m): 12:55pm On Jan 11, 2012
phreakabit:

I have a lot of Yoruba "friends", but if there's one thing they know me for, its telling them to their face I wouldn't stake half a kobo on their sense of loyalty. They have treachery embedded in their DNA .

look at this okoro feeling funky, u think ur yoruba "friends" trust you? the feeling is mutual. i'll rather trust the devil than trust an Igbo. u want loyalty? get a dog grin
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Dede1(m): 1:43pm On Jan 11, 2012
diluminati:

@Chyz

What is actual the issue in staging a strike? If you think of it as removal of fuel subsidy, then you are grossly ignorant. Fuel subsidy does not exist in Nigeria.
As a matter of fact, there is no any form of subsidy that exists in the cesspit called Nigeria.

What Nigeria is experiencing now is increase in prices of crude oil byproducts such PMS (Premium Motor Spirit). I guess the entire Nigerian public had been hoodwinked through nonsensical nomenclature.

Today’s nonsensical call for strike is akin to 1965 crisis in western and northern regions of Nigeria and we all knew how it went down. Your forebears did not join the southeast in 1967 and you will be foolish enough to think the people of southeast will expect the so-called south and west to join them in future.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Dede1(m): 1:50pm On Jan 11, 2012
dmainboss:

It has not reached to the point of shooting war and they are already pained to the point of branding certain people “backbiters and backstabbers”. I really wonder what would become of them if this child’s play will degenerate into war of attrition. I vividly remembered who their forbearers supported during the first war of attrition in Nigeria. I guess it takes one silly backstabber to recognize another.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Dede1(m): 2:03pm On Jan 11, 2012
lagcity:

b4 nko? of course we'll take the lead becos we are naturals at that and this is our kontry, u ppl are just tenants. we don't wait for others like the igbos who wait to see if yorubas are with them or not. but know this, we don't wanna hear any whining from you ppl when we are done with all these and are reaping the rewards. i know u igbo folks well, u have the whining DNA in you.

The above post and remarks exude the traits of irredeemable coward and inherent loudmouthed punk. Until your stock of people precipitates ordinary and innocuous coup d’etat in Nigeria, you shall remain what we all know you to be.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Dede1(m): 2:23pm On Jan 11, 2012
alj harem:

[b]NLC South east has done a terrible job betraying Nigeria by calling off the strike in the south east. I mean it is called NIGERIA LABOUR CONGRESS not South east labour congress thus they have to follow orders but did not[/b]Do you know today there was activitive in asaba while warri is a ghost town ?

I dey laugh o

It is disingenuously reprehensible and unacceptable display of idiocy on your attempt to invoke words such as betrayal and NLC in the sentence with South east of Nigeria. It was not too long ago when the same NLC/TUC leadership opted to buy luxurious buses from China instead of buses manufactured in South east via INNOSON.

NLC is worse than betrayal; they are evil to Nigeria and its labor force. NLC should not worry about south east of Nigeria; it should concentrate all efforts on the welfare of the labor force in China.
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by toboy: 3:40pm On Jan 11, 2012
bloody Jesus!!, am in UNN now, there was no protest at all. although uNN is obsrrving the strike. I dont know who's thrashing out those false lies of protest o!! Probably the protest was held in ur compound?my dear, prayers is quite different from protest!
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by kizito96(m): 3:56pm On Jan 11, 2012
Good Move
Re: Enugu Defies Ban, Joins Protest Against Subsidy Removal! by Frankviews: 11:28pm On Jan 11, 2012
Just for the record. GEJ is not Igbo. People should go and read their histroy notes please!. GEJ is from Bayelsa and does not understand a word of Igbo language. The main reason the Enugu people are not protesting is firstly, because their economy depends on civil service salary, about 60% occupants are traders, while the rest are transporters, as opposed to what is obtainable in other states, where there may be other alternative sources of livelihood. Secondly, most activists are still stuck in their villages and have no means of coming back to the city. cheesy Any interpretation of this inaction as backstabing, should be withdrawn. The very poor people of Enugu need this protests, at least to learn how to find their voices. Have mercy upon them jare and ride on!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Tasks Nigerians On Idps, Breast Cancer / NASS Crisis: Power, Water Supplies Restored, Businesses Remain Closed / Nigeria Now Imports Bananas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.