Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest (3678 Views)

Legs Of Victim Of Enugu Attack Amputated. Photo / Abuja Blasts: Niger Delta Militants Might Be Responsible – NLC / Boko Haram Bombed Abuja To Mock Recent Military Victories Against Them – NLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by Chyz2: 2:59am On Jan 12, 2012
[size=15pt]NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest[/size]

Thursday, 12 January 2012 00:00 From Abiodun Fagbemi, Ilorin 

THE Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) yesterday named the popular Ilorin Post Office Roundabout after Muiydeen Mustapha, the 23-year-old man, who last week became the first victim of the on-going protest against fuel subsidy removal.

Chairman of the NLC in Kwara State, Farouk Akanbi, who represented the National President of the NLC, AbdulWaheed Omar, at the event, justified the naming of the place after Mustapha, citing the spot where the man was killed. He declared: “As from today, we declare that this place is now Muiydeen Mustapha Freedom Square”.

Mustapha died following the spontaneous reaction that trailed the removal of the fuel subsidy. While some of the protesters had alleged that the police fired shots at the man, the state Police Commissioner, Peter Gana, said the police met the body at the spot. The state Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed has ordered a probe into the death.

Also, the immediate past governor of Kwara State, Senator Bukola Saraki, has canvassed a reversal to the N65 price of fuel in order for the Federal Government and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to negotiate.

The NLC leaders yesterday called Islamic, Christian and traditional leaders to pray against what they called, “egocentric, rigid and stubborn Nigerian leaders”.

The prayer was held at the roundabout for hours as the routes leading to the highbrow location were barricaded with women openly shedding tears for the deceased.

Also, youths at Adeta area in the heart of Ilorin took to the streets in the early hours of yesterday in a protest against the subsidy removal.

They prevented motorists from moving. The protesters pledged the continuity of the protest until the reversal of the policy on the premium motor spirit (PMS) was effected.

According to Saraki, who is the senator representing Kwara-Central Senatorial District, yesterday in a statement issued on his behalf by his personal aide on media, Akintoba Fatigun, the two major players in the imbroglio should embrace truce, go to the negotiation table and come with an acceptable solution on the issue.

He said the proposition would save the nation from the on-going wanton destruction of lives and property trailing the oil subsidy removal.

He added that his position should not, however, be seen as preventing the probe of those identified as being responsible for illegally benefiting from the subsidy granted by successive past governments in Nigeria.

Saraki also canvassed dialogue as the panacea to the problem of terrorism facing the nation.

His words: “The mood of the country requires that we find a solution to the fuel subsidy dispute, which has pitted the Federal Government against NLC, civil society and the citizens. It is my candid opinion that all parties involved are driven by patriotism. There is a mutual agreement that there is something wrong with the fuel subsidy scheme.

“As you are probably aware, a few months ago, I raised a motion on the floor of the Senate concerning the potential dangers of the management of the fuel subsidy scheme and the effects it could have on the economy and development of our dear nation.

“I had no doubts that the subsidy scheme was not working as envisaged and obviously was not serving the interest of the masses for whom it was put in place. I knew we had to investigate why we spend so much on the scheme, in order to determine if it was being abused and identify the culprits responsible for this and allow the law to take its full course. Based on what is happening today, peace and stability of our country is what is paramount considering the loss of lives”.

He continued: “My humble advice to the Federal Government of Nigeria and all parties involved at this critical moment is for everyone to return to the position before the dispute, which is a standard practice for all industrial dispute resolution all over the world. This is necessary to enable resolution on the matter. I believe that the Senate’s current role as an arbitrator between the Federal Government and organised Labour is the right one, which is to find a meeting point for a peaceful resolution to this strike.

“As representatives of the people, we are elected to serve; we must hearken to the anguish, feel the pains of the people and also provide support for the Federal Government. So, the government should shift ground and Labour the same, this will create room for dialogue. To revert to the previous position by all parties is not a sign of weakness but an act of sacrifice in the interest of all, anything to prevent further loss of lives. There are times in the history of our nation where empathy supersedes economics; this is one of those moments.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73605:nlc-names-spot-after-victim-of-ilorin-protest&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by aljharem(m): 3:04am On Jan 12, 2012
good cool
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by nairaman66(m): 1:20pm On Jan 13, 2012
Welcomed! R.I.P beloved brother in the struggle,
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by 989900: 1:25pm On Jan 13, 2012
nice start, we can do more
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by lily0231: 1:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
GOOD ONE ! MUYIDEEN MUSTAPHA RIP

ALUTA CONTINUA !
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by dejust(m): 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2012
Is NLC acting on its own or on order of state government, anyway it is good for us to remember the strugle. RIP Guy.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by ignis: 2:17pm On Jan 13, 2012
RIP, U dif not die a coward.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by Rike: 2:41pm On Jan 13, 2012
Good. May his gentle soul rest in peace.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by velo10: 2:53pm On Jan 13, 2012
Great way to honor a fallen comrade. The killer policeman should roast.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by Wilywily10: 3:08pm On Jan 13, 2012
That guy died for Jimo, Adenuga and Wale his Thief brothers, i am not surprised, Yorubas glorifies Fraudulent lifestyle.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by amaham(m): 3:57pm On Jan 13, 2012
I don't know renaming streets and roundabouts become the job of nlc. The poor boy died just 4 a roundabout that de state govt will reverse to its former name after de strike. He died for nothin!
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by Chnges(m): 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2012
Good! Very good!! Pls other protesters shld follow his steps so as to secure a name for the streets and roundabouts__ grin grin grin
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by toboy: 4:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
Ch@nges:

Good! Very good!! Pls other protesters shld follow his steps so as to secure a name for the streets and roundabouts__ grin grin grin
ha ha, your funny! Hmm some pple dont just value their precious life sha! I tire. That must a huge gain to his family i guess.my life's precous for me oo! Even if Nigerian'll be renamed after me,i cant just die o!
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by ibrash600: 4:56pm On Jan 13, 2012
r.i.p guy cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by hbrednic: 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
why dont the labour leaders die,so we can also name a roundabout in their honour 
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by nanidee(f): 7:54pm On Jan 13, 2012
Ch@nges:

We can laugh and joke, but at the same time, afford to be respectful and conscientious. Sometimes, the lines are thin, and we should be conscious of not crossing them.

Essentially, there are thin lines between being funny and being a buffoon, being quick-witted and being offensive. As grown ups, we ought to know what lines to cross and the ones not to cross.

You ,my dear, are being either silly, uncultured or totally demented to speak of the dead in that manner. You should focus on other areas in your lame jokes, and not direct them at the dead!!!
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by amaham(m): 8:00pm On Jan 13, 2012
De guy died as a protester for a failed state. He died for nothin! They only thing remainin is de govt 2 label him a hoodlum who was causing mayhem during a street protest.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by clip: 8:02pm On Jan 13, 2012
Do NLC have the power to name a federal institution ?I do not think so.
But it good thing to do.
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by skullbaba: 1:33am On Jan 14, 2012
nanidee:

We can laugh and joke, but at the same time, afford to be respectful and conscientious. Sometimes, the lines are thin, and we should be conscious of not crossing them.

Essentially, there are thin lines between being funny and being a buffoon, being quick-witted and being offensive. As grown ups, we ought to know what lines to cross and the ones not to cross.

You ,my dear, are being either silly, uncultured or totally demented to speak of the dead in that manner. You should focus on other areas in your lame jokes, and not direct them at the dead!!!

nice reply
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by Chnges(m): 7:51am On Jan 14, 2012
nanidee:

wow!! A Lady NO COMMENTS! Dnt worry babe__i'll jst b watching yhu
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by nanidee(f): 12:21pm On Jan 14, 2012
Ch@nges:

wow!! A Lady NO COMMENTS! Dnt worry babe__i'll jst b watching yhu

This is from me to you kiss kiss

^^and thats because you didnt come back to insult in the usual nairaland manner. wink wink cheesy cheesy
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by Chnges(m): 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2012
nanidee:

This is from me to you kiss kiss

^^and thats because you didnt come back to insult in the usual nairaland manner. wink wink cheesy cheesy
mmmmmh! Nice wink wink
Re: NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest by juman(m): 10:50am On Jan 15, 2012
Life is nothing but test.

May Allah accept him as His true servant.

Ameeeeeeeeeeeen.

(1) (Reply)

You Will Suffer For Your ‘shameless And Selfish Politics’, APC Chieftain Joe Igb / PMB Ride More Expensive Car Than GEJ (photo) / My Victory Saved Nigeria, $1 Would Have Been N1000 By Now - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.