Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,167 members, 7,835,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation (4387 Views)

Akande Reveals How Subsidy Thieves, Corrupt Businessmen Enthroned Saraki, Dogara / How Subsidy Went From N300b To N1.3 Trillion: Has Anyone In Govt Explained? / How Subsidy Removal Protest Will End (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by karlmax2: 9:55am On Jan 12, 2012
Correction of my mistake above am using my phone "International price of crude"
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by jacobs123(m): 10:07am On Jan 12, 2012
don't forget that there is an excess crude account which means that in 2011 we made extra $40 for every barrel. assuming a budget benchmark of $70 and average crude price of $110.
Because of amnesty, 2011 was one of the best years for crude production and export in NIGERIA.

$40 * 2,000,000*365 = $29,200,000,000

Let's say Nigeria's  share of that is 40% given that we have PSC contracts where FG's share varies and JV contracts in which FG's share is 60%.

$29,200,000,000 * 0.4 = $11,680,000,000 = 1.752 Trillion Naira (@150naira to a dollar).

Jonathan made extra [b]1.7 Trillion in 201[/b]1 and we cannot point to anything to show for this money instead we borrowed more money.

If you did not see the 1.7 Trillion, what makes you think you will see 1.3 Trillion?

I must also point out that as we speak there are NIGERIANS who have oil blocks and getting crude allocations daily even though, they never put a kobo down for the oil blocks. It is our money and our oil. DANJUMA's oil block should be collected from him! Shell just paid DAN ETETE $1.3bn for out of court settlement for our oil block. That money should be our money!
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by karlmax2: 10:18am On Jan 12, 2012
acobs123:
don't forget that there is an excess crude account which means that in 2011 we made extra $40 for every barrel. assuming a budget benchmark of $70 and average crude price of $110.
Because of amnesty, 2011 was one of the best years for crude production and export in NIGERIA.

$40 * 2,000,000*365 = $29,200,000,000

Let's say Nigeria's  share of that is 40% given that we have PSC contracts where FG's share varies and JV contracts in which FG's share is 60%.

$29,200,000,000 * 0.4 = $11,680,000,000 = 1.752 Trillion Naira (@150naira to a dollar).

Jonathan made extra 1.7 Trillion in 2011 and we cannot point to anything to show for this money instead we borrowed more money.

If you did not see the 1.7 Trillion, what makes you think you will see 1.3 Trillion?

I must also point out that as we speak there are NIGERIANS who have oil blocks and getting crude allocations daily even though, they never put a kobo down for the oil blocks. It is our money and our oil. DANJUMA's oil block should be collected from him! Shell just paid DAN ETETE $1.3bn for out of court settlement for our oil block. That money should be our money!

So the jamboree that ur constitution is running as democracy with useless ministries that receive salaries aπϑ fund used for the epileptic services of the police and PHCN where did the money come from? GOD
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by jacobs123(m): 10:25am On Jan 12, 2012
karl max:

So the jamboree that your constitution is running as democracy with useless ministries that receive salaries aπϑ fund used for the epileptic services of the police and PHCN where did the money come from? GOD

The jamboree was already budgeted for. I'm asking about the 1.7 Trillion we made but we didn't anticipate we were going to make.

Nigerians need to also ask for a Post budget report, let's know how we implemented the budget quarterly and this is more important than the allocations that Madam OKONJO is publishing.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by sholatech(m): 10:35am On Jan 12, 2012
Hehehe, some posters here are defining subsidy as subsidising fuel for the SUV owners in Lagos to the detriment of the poor carless users in Places Like Jigawa. Who says that's the subsidy we are talking about?Just cannot make sense, please! Petrol usage is for both cars and generators, and Nigerians feel the brunt more for their generator usage(since no cheaper way to generate their own light). Electricity is even more stable in Lagos than other states in Nigeria. And I thought the Rich in lagos use big generators powered by Diesel, not petrol. While the villager in Jigawa, Borno, Kogi keeps using petrol for his I-pass-my neighbour generator. Please don't bring sentiments in saying Lagos subsidises the rich. Please the subsidies go to the marketers, and you can only attack those that connive with top govt officials such as Minister of Petroleum, GMD NNPC to get paid for imaginary quantities they didn't import. Of course the SURE document already shows how much each state govt will get when subsidies get removed. Aside oil producing states like Bayelsa, I don't see any of those states having much excess after paying salaries and taking care of their overbloated recurrent expenditures
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by karlmax2: 10:51am On Jan 12, 2012
sholatech:
Hehehe, some posters here are defining subsidy as subsidising fuel for the SUV owners in Lagos to the detriment of the poor carless users in Places Like Jigawa. Who says that's the subsidy we are talking about?Just cannot make sense, please! Petrol usage is for both cars and generators, and Nigerians feel the brunt more for their generator usage(since no cheaper way to generate their own light). Electricity is even more stable in Lagos than other states in Nigeria. And I thought the Rich in lagos use big generators powered by Diesel, not petrol. While the villager in Jigawa, Borno, Kogi keeps using petrol for his I-pass-my neighbour generator. Please don't bring sentiments in saying Lagos subsidises the rich. Please the subsidies go to the marketers, and you can only attack those that connive with top govt officials such as Minister of Petroleum, GMD NNPC to get paid for imaginary quantities they didn't import. Of course the SURE document already shows how much each state govt will get when subsidies get removed. Aside oil producing states like Bayelsa, I don't see any of those states having much excess after paying salaries and taking care of their overbloated recurrent expenditures

Pls answer the following question

Oga can Ʊ pls answer this questions

Does lagos have more population than those states Ʊ mention?
2.Is the population of the rich who own more than one cars and middle class who use petro gen and also have at least 2 cars more in lagos than the poor state Ʊ metioned above?

3,Is LAGOS as a state consume more fuel than those state Ʊ mentioned in ur post!

4. is lagos not more industralised than the states Ʊ mentioned in ur post?

If ur answers are yes then why would those poor state keep subsidizing it for the rich and more populated LAGOS and kano!!! They should be givin their own share through their local government to subsidize the fuel the use in their generator and transpotion and hold them accountable welcome to regionalization my friend
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by sholatech(m): 11:53am On Jan 12, 2012
@Karl Marx, I'm sure you've been hearing or reading about Per Capital Income or maybe u've seen GDP per Capital( income index divided per population). Calculating that alone per state/region answers all the questions you mentioned.
Another twist to it is this, most of the consumer goods(more than 95% aside agric products) that are used up in your so-called 'poor people' states are from Lagos. You can as well say that all the bank branches in those states should close shop because they are all loss-bearing and 'subsidised' from the huge income made from Lagos state. Researches shown across all Nigerian banks show that 80% of their total bank deposits and liabilities generated are from Lagos only, the other 20% comes from other states and FCT.
These regional economic theories will not hold water, please and other states are not subsidising Lagos, please.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by muyoto: 12:21pm On Jan 12, 2012
its funny that the most compelling justification so far the bloated subsidy bill of the prevoius year has come not from Okonji Iweala, Sanusi or Allison-Maduake, but from a NLder!!!

@OP, not bad
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by ghostofsparta(m): 12:31pm On Jan 12, 2012
blacksta:

This can't be right. This figures are made up from hell. So far from all the available government data-. Subsidy payments is a combination of interest payments, demurrages, inflated figures, actual imported fuel. The figures supplied by the op is based on so called consumption only.

When I find the document. I will post the link.

[size=24pt]
NIGERIA'S PROBLEM IS MULTI-FACTORIAL AND THERE'S NO ECONOMIC THEORY IN THE WORLD THAT CAN SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS. THE ONLY SOLUTION IS THE PEACEFUL DIS-AMALGAMATION OF THE VARIOUS INCOMPATIBLE TRIBES THAT MAKES UP THE BRITISH COLONIALISTS' FAILED EXPERIMENT CALLED NIGERIA[/size]. wink
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by lanrefront1(m): 1:22pm On Jan 12, 2012
Anyone who start argueing statistics with the poster, that means the person has already fallen into the trap; the same one which GEJ and his officials did set up.

As long and as brilliant your analysis seems, (we should not put the cart before the horse) its based on one big assumption, which is that Nigerai consumes 35 million litres per day and it's total falsehood.

Where did u get this figure? Is it not from goverment officials? Since they have said we consumed and unpredecented and unexplainable 1.4 trillion subsidy in a year, is it not only logical they must & will manufacture a PMS figure to match the money.

And thank God, even during the Town Hall Meeting, Lamido Sanusi himself said said there is no way we are consuming 35 million litres per day.

This is the real reason the Senate and House of Reps. are not in support of Jonathan. Neither Jonathan or any of numerous officails have been able to offer any satisfactory explanation how subsidy jumped to 1.4 trillion/35 million litres per day - the two are inextricably linked together.

So respectably I say to you sir, this is just voodoo economics to pull wool over the eyes of the populace.

One more thing, I see that posts are less than 20. Are u sure you are not Beaf?
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by hercules07: 2:00pm On Jan 12, 2012
Karl Max should stop deceiving people with faulty statistics, the premise of your calculation is wrong and misleading, the subsidy is 1.3 trillion because of corruption.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by hercules07: 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2012
Karl is now talking about Lagos enjoying most of the subsidy, 18 million people enjoying more than 142 million, trying to balkanise people abi, let me entertain you a little bit. How much does the FG make from Lagos state and what has the FG done in Lagos.
I supported the Lekki toll gate because I can at least see what people will be paying for and palliatives were in place, you can take BRT if you are not ready to pay the toll, by the way, we want a deregulation of the downstream sector in a transparent manner not this boju boju way GEJ is going about it.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by aljharem(m): 2:07pm On Jan 12, 2012
[size=18pt]OP I total disagree with you calculation[/size]

They claim claimed around 1.4 trillion was paid in Subsidies in 2011 and according to the SURE document N1.134 trillion is re-investible from PMS subsidy removal. Simple mathematics shows that since 75 naira is the amount paid on PMS subsidy from 141 naira which is the current price, that means Nigerians consumed N1.134 trillion / N75 = 15120 million litres in the year. More mathematics says daily consumption averages 41.42 million litres i.e. by dividing the annual consumption by 365. Which does not included Kerosene Yet because this is only PMS

Now, Mrs Madueke have not been able to explain to us how Nigerians started consuming 41.42 million litres by day or are we drinking fuel Now ? In you analysis yo claim 35 million but the subsidy is claiming another

when even a cursory look at the past NNPC records for the past  13 years (1997 – 2010) shows that the highest we have ever gone is[b] 27 million litres[/b]? Did Nigerians suddenly start buying Cars and Generators? Another quick look at the statements by Senator Bukola Saraki that roused the whole subsidy brouhaha showed that probably Nigerians started drinking fuel around June, meaning that consumption was stable at around 27 million litres for the first 6 months, then in the last 6 months, consumption became around 55.8 million liters per day.

It is still a mystery unsolved what Nigerians started doing starting from June, after the Inauguration of the present Government that would gulp 55.8 million litres.

In 2010, 2.8 million litres of PMS were refined averagely per day in NNPC (Local Refining). Are we paying subsidies on that also? Yes, it must be because,.,.,.,.,. if not, then Mrs DAM still has more explanations to make on how 1.134 trillion was spent on subsidy when 2.8 million litres per day is domestic refining. Doing a quick calculation reveals that 76 billion naira is the amount of subsidy paid on UNSUBSIDIZED domestically refined fuel.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by DeepSight(m): 2:31pm On Jan 12, 2012
The Opening Post is a staggeringly shallow, false and fraudulent argumentation which misses the pith of the question regarding the 1.3 Trillion issue.

The issue is pretty simple but I am being forced to repeat it all over this board: There are various factors which determine the aggregate cost spent on the fuel subsidy - the critical point is that as long as the subsidy regime has existed - ALL of these factors have existed. The question therefore arises as to what exactly within these factors accounts for a five-fold increase within ONE YEAR ONLY - notwithstanding that the same factors were present in all previous years, but NEVER had such a staggering impact.

In the eight years preceding 2011, the subsidy has ALWAYS been financed well below 300 billion naira. Indeed to be exact, the amount budgeted for the subsidy in 2011 was 240 billion naira only.

Having operated the subsidy regime for several years already, the government of course had a clear idea as to the cost of the subsidy and such information would have been the basis for arriving at a budget of 240 billion for the subsidy within the 2011 budget. The question thus is; what factors could have been so overwhelmingly different in 2011 - which factors did not operate in prior years - as to cause an increase from 240 billion to 1.3 trillion? ? ?

Those factors CANNOT be any of the factors listed by the OP because ALL the factors listed by the OP operated in all prior years and only increase or decrease marginally year on year. For example, the OP says -

Why the change of subsidy value from previous years, the average crude price for last year was largely above $100/bl, coupled with exchange rate differentials and  increase in energy demand  due to population growth, GDP growth & increase in smuggled products across Nigerian borders.

In the foregoing the OP mentions average price of crude, foreign exchange differentials, increase in energy demand due to population growth, and increase in smuggled products across Nigerian borders as factors.

Let us look at these factors one at a time and see whether either any one of them or a combination of all of them could be responsible for the ridiculous rise in the cost of the subsidy in 2011. What we find is that these are out rightly st.upid excuses for the OP to proffer as responsible for the 2011 increase.

He mentioned the following factors  -

1. Average price of Crude: The average price of Crude Oil in 2010 and 2011 were not different to such a degree as to justify the assertions of the OP. The differentials observable can by no means account for any tangible increase across the year - much less an increase of over 1 trillion naira. In reality Oil has sold at over a 100 USD per barrel a different points within the last five years and at no time has it had anything even remotely close to this effect on the cost of the subsidy. To be more precise, the differential between 2010 and 2011 taken as an annual average does not exceed 12 – 15 per cent. Thus if this were actually true, it would at best increase the subsidy from 240 billion to a little less than 270 billion.

2. Foreign Exchange differentials: between 2010 and 2011, the naira did not fluctuate beyond 12 percent points of its value against the US Dollar. If we are to place this fluctuation against the value of the subsidy, it would have at best meant an increase in the cost by about 30 billion naira - thus a total cost of about 270 billion - still well below the 300 billion naira mark, and without the slightest hope of approaching anything even remotely resembling 1 trillion, not to speak of 1.3 TRILLION. Now even if we add the supposed crude oil price fluctuation, that would take us to about 310 billion naira only!

Thus even a combination of these excuses falls FAR short of any hope of a justification of the 1.3 trillion figure!

3. Increase in energy demand due to population growth: This is actually the most foolish factor advanced by the OP for many reasons.

- First and foremost, population growth did not commence in 2011. It has always been there. If any population growth affects the consumption, it occurs every year and represents a slight marginal increase at best. It can never account for a sudden increase of five fold because the population grows by a fraction only annually. So that is beyond preposterous.

- But in reality, the sheer foolishness of this statement is understood better when one realizes that population growth is represented by new babies. Gentlemen, babies don’t drive cars. And even if they did, why have the new babies who were driving cars every year prior to 2011 suddenly increased a thousand-million fold in 2011. This is ignorance, thoughtlessness and pure hilarity of reasoning at its height. It is so profoundly st.upid that it makes me understand why Nigerians regard Sanusi Lamido as a bright guy. Because Nigerians are very easily fooled by grammar and figures. This OP here is has advanced a hilariously da.ft argument and it is being applauded!

[b]4.  Increase in Smuggled Products: - [/b]Again, the mention of this factor just shows me the general poverty of intellect that many Nigerians suffer from. Indeed I heard several people congratulate the CBN Governor for his “brilliance” when he mentioned this. I was so aghast that my jaw dropped open. Anywhere else in the world government officials would be loathe to give such a brazen admission of utter incompetence. Not so here.

At all events, for the purposes of the arguments advanced by the OP, the simple reason that this factor fails as a reason is because petrol has a marketing chain which ends in petrol stations and therefore it is possible by backward tracing to determine the volume which reaches Nigerian Petrol stations. Given that each Operator has records of the marketers it purchases from, it is also possible to easily determine what quantities are sold in Nigeria as against quantities that take flight as smuggled petrol. Thus any serious government will only have to pay that which ends in the Nigerian Market. A government that cannot do this, Is not fit to run a nursery school.

It is thus obvious that the reasons proffered by the OP are as ludicrous as they spurious and laughable. There is none of these factors which has not always existed: and there is none, taken either by itself or together with others  - that could justify a rise from 240 billion to 1.3 trillion. And that is a cast iron fact.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by aljharem(m): 2:46pm On Jan 12, 2012
Deep Sight:

The Opening Post is a staggeringly shallow, false and fraudulent argumentation which misses the pith of the question regarding the 1.3 Trillion issue.

The issue is pretty simple but I am being forced to repeat it all over this board: There are various factors which determine the aggregate cost spent on the fuel subsidy - the critical point is that as long as the subsidy regime has existed - ALL of these factors have existed. The question therefore arises as to what exactly within these factors accounts for a five-fold increase within ONE YEAR ONLY - notwithstanding that the same factors were present in all previous years, but NEVER had such a staggering impact.

In the eight years preceding 2011, the subsidy has ALWAYS been financed well below 300 billion naira. Indeed to be exact, the amount budgeted for the subsidy in 2011 was 240 billion naira only.

Having operated the subsidy regime for several years already, the government of course had a clear idea as to the cost of the subsidy and such information would have been the basis for arriving at a budget of 240 billion for the subsidy within the 2011 budget. The question thus is; what factors could have been so overwhelmingly different in 2011 - which factors did not operate in prior years - as to cause an increase from 240 billion to 1.3 trillion? ? ?

Those factors CANNOT be any of the factors listed by the OP because ALL the factors listed by the OP operated in all prior years and only increase or decrease marginally year on year. For example, the OP says -

In the foregoing the OP mentions average price of crude, foreign exchange differentials, increase in energy demand due to population growth, and increase in smuggled products across Nigerian borders as factors.

Let us look at these factors one at a time and see whether either any one of them or a combination of all of them could be responsible for the ridiculous rise in the cost of the subsidy in 2011. What we find is that these are out rightly st.upid excuses for the OP to proffer as responsible for the 2011 increase.

He mentioned the following factors -

1. Average price of Crude: The average price of Crude Oil in 2010 and 2011 were not different to such a degree as to justify the assertions of the OP. The differentials observable can by no means account for any tangible increase across the year - much less an increase of over 1 trillion naira. In reality Oil has sold at over a 100 USD per barrel a different points within the last five years and at no time has it had anything even remotely close to this effect on the cost of the subsidy. To be more precise, the differential between 2010 and 2011 taken as an annual average does not exceed 12 – 15 per cent. Thus if this were actually true, it would at best increase the subsidy from 240 billion to a little less than 270 billion.

2. Foreign Exchange differentials: between 2010 and 2011, the naira did not fluctuate beyond 12 percent points of its value against the US Dollar. If we are to place this fluctuation against the value of the subsidy, it would have at best meant an increase in the cost by about 30 billion naira - thus a total cost of about 270 billion - still well below the 300 billion naira mark, and without the slightest hope of approaching anything even remotely resembling 1 trillion, not to speak of 1.3 TRILLION. Now even if we add the supposed crude oil price fluctuation, that would take us to about 310 billion naira only!

Thus even a combination of these excuses falls FAR short of any hope of a justification of the 1.3 trillion figure!

3. Increase in energy demand due to population growth: This is actually the most foolish factor advanced by the OP for many reasons.

- First and foremost, population growth did not commence in 2011. It has always been there. If any population growth affects the consumption, it occurs every year and represents a slight marginal increase at best. It can never account for a sudden increase of five fold because the population grows by a fraction only annually. So that is beyond preposterous.

- But in reality, the sheer foolishness of this statement is understood better when one realizes that population growth is represented by new babies. Gentlemen, babies don’t drive cars. And even if they did, why have the new babies who were driving cars every year prior to 2011 suddenly increased a thousand-million fold in 2011. This is ignorance, thoughtlessness and pure hilarity of reasoning at its height. It is so profoundly st.upid that it makes me understand why Nigerians regard Sanusi Lamido as a bright guy. Because Nigerians are very easily fooled by grammar and figures. This OP here is has advanced a hilariously da.ft argument and it is being applauded!

[b]4. Increased in Smuggled Products: - [/b]Again, the mention of this factor just shows me the general poverty of intellect that many Nigerians suffer from. Indeed I heard several people congratulation the CBN Governor for his “brilliance” when he mentioned this. I was so aghast that my jaw dropped open. Anywhere else in the world government officials would be loathe to give such a brazen admission of utter incompetence. Not so here.

At all events, for the purposes of the arguments advanced by the OP, the simple reason that this factor fails as a reason is because petrol has a marketing chain which ends in petrol stations and therefore it is possible by backward tracing to determine the volume which reaches Nigerian Petrol stations. Given that each Operator has records of the marketers it purchases from, it is also possible to easily determine what quantities are sold in Nigeria as against quantities that take flight as smuggled petrol. Thus any serious government will only have to pay that which ends in the Nigerian Market. A government that cannot do this, Is not fit to run a nursery school.

It is thus obvious that the reasons proffered by the OP are as ludicrous as they spurious and laughable. There is none of these factors which has not always existed: and there is none, taken either by itself or together with others - that could justify a rise from 240 billion to 1.3 trillion. And that is a cast iron fact.

are you minding this people
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by lanrefront1(m): 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2012
@ Deep Sight

Your post is simply exellent.

Infact, you totally killed it, nailed it inside a coffin and buried it. You opened my eyes even to see what I could not fathom & proffer before.

Your proffered solution to the much touted "smuggling problem" by goverment officials is one I have never heard, even from intellectuals opposed to the subsidy removal. It's simplistic, as it is exellent and precise to cut off the head of this so much touted excuse.

Respect,
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by DeepSight(m): 3:28pm On Jan 12, 2012
The question thus is; what factors could have been so overwhelmingly different in 2011 - which factors did not operate in prior years - as to cause an increase from 240 billion to 1.3 trillion? ? ?

A Presidential Election, perhaps?
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by dayokanu(m): 5:02pm On Jan 12, 2012
karl max:

So Ʊ want tell me that the naira to dollar rate has not increased since 2008?

Answer this primary school questions

What is the exchange rate of the dollar to the naira in 2008 and 2011?

[size=18pt]Exchange rate as at December 31 2011 is 156 to a dollar, exchange rate as at December 31 2009 is 147 to a Dollar

Increase of 6%[/size]
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by 2mch(m): 5:05pm On Jan 12, 2012
I see they fell for the exchange rate trap. grin cheesy. The fact is most governments lock in future or forward rates. So the exchange rate does not factor in this. grin cheesy. I gave them a lifeline on the other thread and they fell for it. Hahaha, these people will lie on anything. See test.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by blacksta(m): 5:25pm On Jan 12, 2012
The First point failure was the consumption figures.  Even the government dont have a figure hence the only figures that suits the 1.3 trillion sham is 35 mIllion per day data.   Any premise to build on  that made up figure no matter how beautiful your calculations look or colorful  your graphs LOOKS the end result is a [size=20pt]massive F9 [/size]
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by realborn(m): 5:56pm On Jan 12, 2012
@ Poster,

In addition to the brilliant exposee of the monumental gibberish in your analysis by previous posters and most especially Deep Sight, please note:

- the amount stated as subsidy per litre was N74 and not N80+
- the N1.3trillion or N1.4trillion was for PMS only without Kerosene
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by DeepSight(m): 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2012
^ That is just it o.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by Iolo(m): 3:59am On Jan 13, 2012
OP has done the best analysis so far. Truth is even the NNPC, PPPRA and Min of Petroleum aren't sure of what we consume internally on a yearly basis. Any calculations therefore are based on total consumption (subsidies paid for). The 35 - 55millions include smuggled fuel through Nigerias borders.

And how's fuel smuggled across our borders? I know that there are border communities like Ijofin etc in d Lagos/Ogun/benin republic axis wiv lots of stations on the Nigeria end. Guys from Neigboring countries buy in 50litre to 100litre drums (full tankers don't driver across the border like people seem to think). These drums are placed in buses or mini vans and are either driver across bus parts or loaded onto a boat (if there's a waterway). The business of selling petrol @ the borders is even more lucrative than selling in the main cities. If you lucky, an entire payload of 33,000 could be sold in 1 or 2 days. Average per day for city stations is 3 - 4 days. This is how Oando started (with a station in the bush) and so many others.

Truth is the subsidy isn't sustenable as the price differentials lead to an arbitraged that's xtremely profitable fueling smuggling.but Govt must clean up its house before askin us to suffer. The VPs office is planning to purchase HP desktops for 300k+ and HP scanners for 160k+. Its ridicilous xpenses like these dat we nEed to wad off.
Re: How Subsidy Is Calculated, N1.3 Trillion Explained - Simple Calculation by ElderLoLo: 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
veri nice calculation whether it's proof right or not i will use it for my this year project.topic on fuel subsidy removal

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Photos Of APC Customized Lamborghini Spotted In Kaduna In Honour Of El-rufai / The World Is Now Talking About Biafra Thanks To Nnamdi Kanu And Ipob / Read What Buhari Told Jonathan During The Secret Meeting (August 2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.