Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,900 members, 7,821,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest (5059 Views)

RiversRerun: Thugs Injure A Policewoman In Tai LGA(pics) / Political Thugs Kill One, Injure Six In Lagos (photo) / Residents Flee As Hoodlums Kill Policemen, Injure Many (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by jason123: 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2012
One person was shot dead and several others injured when armed policemen and soldiers involved in the control of anti-fuel subsidy withdrawal protest invaded Kabawa area of Lokoja on Thursday.

The protesters had gathered at the Freedom Square at about 8.am to continue with their peaceful protest when armed policemen and soldiers arrived and fired tear gas canisters to dislodge them.

Reports alleged that it was in the process of scaring away the protesters that a 25-year-old man identified as Anas Gambo, was shot from behind at Madabo quarters by a security man.

An eyewitness told NAN that the police also went away with the corpse, while several other women and children sustained various degrees of injuries.

NAN also reports that a team of lawyers from the state chapter of the NBA narrowly escaped death when they were attacked by the angry youths, thinking they were NLC leaders who they accused of betrayal.

The team was actually going to the deceased’s home to obtain more information about his death when they ran into the youths.

Two leaders of the Lokoja branch of the National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) had earlier been picked up by the police on their way to a meeting at the local government secretariat.

The leaders, Abdulahi Ademu and Danladi Mayaki, the President and Vice-President of the NYCN respectively, were on their way to the meeting when they were arrested, according to the Secretary of the council, Mr Abdulkadir Ismaila.

Ismaila urged the police to release the two men immediately in the interest of peace.

The Police Commissioner in the state, Mr Marvel Akpoyibo, had on Wednesday warned that street protest and blockade of roads would no longer be allowed in Lokoja and other towns.

The warning was sequel to an agreement between the police and the leadership of the NLC and TUC as well as the civil society groups to suspend street protest. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/police-kill-one-injure-many-in-kogi-protest/
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by Wadosky(m): 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2012
How did nlc betray d youths,tot dey work together.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by whirlwind7(m): 7:52pm On Jan 12, 2012
The unrestrained use of live ammunition against protesters need to be urgently addressed. What sort of chaotic society do we live in? The IGP should rein in his men immediately, before the police become another focus of this turbulent period. sad angry angry
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by kizito96(m): 7:53pm On Jan 12, 2012
Is Police not part of the populace that are suffering? why turn on the masses? too bad
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by HighChief4(m): 8:21pm On Jan 12, 2012
Its disheartening when one reads about these careless deaths. Something is definitely wrong with naija police and the protesters should also try not to get violent
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by TruthTella(m): 8:24pm On Jan 12, 2012
kizito96:

Is Police not part of the populace that are suffering? why turn on the masses?

Me sef, I was wondering the same thing.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by 3kay945(m): 8:30pm On Jan 12, 2012
The police will soon meet their water loo when boko+haram attack.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by Yeske2(m): 9:12pm On Jan 12, 2012
So disheartening, na wah o.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by whatalife: 9:28pm On Jan 12, 2012
I reside here in lokoja, i think what really happen was that the Kogi NLC chapter where already at the freedom square for the continuation of the strike action which has been very peaceful all along, news to us that the Kogi state government has already paid some thugs to organise a parallel pro-government rally at the same venue , as usual the police need to do the bidding of their master started chasing nlc and the masses out of the freedom square to give way for government sponsored rally, it got messier and out of control
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by executinal(m): 9:32pm On Jan 12, 2012
People just loosing their life for nothing, at the end the so called labour accept bribe and go home, while the protesters end up mourning their death. So pathetic angry, Please you guys should stop loosing your life for nothing, use your head my people.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by skullbaba: 11:16pm On Jan 12, 2012
whatalife:

I reside here in lokoja, i think what really happen was that the Kogi NLC chapter where already at the freedom square for the continuation of the strike action which has been very peaceful all along, news to us that the Kogi state government has already paid some thugs to organise a parallel pro-government rally at the same venue , as usual the police need to do the bidding of their master started chasing nlc and the masses out of the freedom square to give way for government sponsored rally, it got messier and out of control
that stupid governor should be probe along with the commisioner of police
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by Nnamsco4real: 1:10am On Jan 13, 2012
Now I see reasons why I hate NPF
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by dejust(m): 6:16am On Jan 13, 2012
Our mandate is with the constituted authority and not NLC/TUC, but because of brainwash the masses follow their utterances as a matching order. The result is that many innocent souls are injured and dying while NLC/TUC go unharmed. Who is fooling who, it is high time we use our brain.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by samstels: 9:23am On Jan 13, 2012
I strongly believe that no reasonable police man will fire a bullet at non violent protesters .Let the protesters try as much as possible to be peaceful,violence does not in any way make the protest better rather it portrays the protesters as unserious and not law abiding .Together we will make nigeria better.
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by Mcvinci: 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2012
angry
Re: Police Kill One, Injure Many In Kogi Protest by Osama10(m): 7:05pm On Jan 13, 2012
How I wish the Police can attack Boko Haram like this.

(1) (Reply)

Video: Kill Fulani Herdmen / The Cattle Rearer Chronicles — the Remaking Of Nigeria As A Welfare State / Signs Emerge Of Ambode's Next Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.