Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn (6760 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / FG Planning Zero-based Budget For 2016 – Osinbajo / FG Planning To Swap 30 Boko Haram Commanders, Others For Chiboks Girls CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by koruji(m): 1:21am On Jan 13, 2012
This just can't be true - even a mad dog knows its owner.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-planning-state-of-emergency-in-lagos-acn/

January 13, 2012 by Sesan Olufowobi and Eniola Akinkuotu 6 Comments

The Action Congress of Nigeria has raised the alarm over an alleged plan by the Federal Government to send thugs to create chaos in Lagos State to allow it to declare a state of emergency in the state.

A statement by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Thursday warned the Federal Government to allow the Nigerian people to continue their peaceful protests or revert to the old petrol price in order to bring the protest to an end.

ACN said the alleged plan was a “desperate measure by the Federal Government to frustrate and to ensure a clampdown on peaceful citizens of the state in legitimate protests.”

The party said, “Since the fuel strike started, we have noted aggressive statements from the government. We have reasons to believe the not-too-subtle threats are a precursor to something sinister.

“While we abhor violence as an instrument of protest, we must warn that issuing military-era threats are not compatible with a democratic dispensation.”

ACN said the protesters had been conducting themselves in an impressive manner, saying there was no need to infiltrate their ranks with thugs.

Also, the Lagos chapter of the party advised protesters not to allow hoodlums to take advantage of the protests to loot and destroy public property.

In a statement by the state publicity secretary, Mr. Joe Igbokwe, on Thursday, the party expressed concern that hoodlums had infiltrated the protesters and resorted to looting and destruction of public property.

The party said, “Since the protest started, the country has been losing close to N160bn daily. It will be too much if we allow looting and destruction of public infrastructure and property to add to the huge loss.

“Lagos ACN is joining the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Federal House of Representatives to plead that President Jonathan reverts to N65 per litre and from there the genuine dialogue will start.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force has advised protesters to remain law-abiding.

The Deputy Inspector General of Police (Admn), Mr. Azubuko Udah, during a meeting with Commissioners of Police in Lagos on Thursday, also warned protesters to desist from burning tyres on the roads.

He said anyone caught doing such would be arrested. The DIG said, “The Police have no problem with organised labour and civil society groups. Our job is to maintain security until protests end.

“However, it has been observed that hoodlums have tried to mar the protest. We are warning against bonfires, burning of tyres and the attempts to create an atmosphere of anarchy.

“Anyone caught vandalising properties, extorting money from people or burning tyres on the road will be arrested.”

On the killer Divisional Police Officer, Mr. Segun Fabunmi, the DIG said, “We have taken proper action and the homicide unit of the State Criminal Investigation Department is investigating and once the investigation is completed, we shall take the next action.”
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by jmaine: 1:29am On Jan 13, 2012
Alhaji[size=18pt] Lie[/size] Mohammed at his best . . . who would dare envisage such nonsense, with the fairly calm and Carnival like [/b]protest going on . . .No one can spoil our steady fun at Ojota Please . . .Asha might perform tomorrow grin

[b]Tomorrow, the Eko Carnival 2012 continues . .Eko Oni Baje oo
!
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by okadaman2: 1:29am On Jan 13, 2012
The organizers of these #OccupyNigeria protests have fought every attempt to make it partisan or "Tribal" with uncommon focus.

Very rare in Nigeria. Very rare.

So if these lazy, greedy politicians and other parties want to make this about partisan politics they can go ahead. It will make their destruction faster.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by DanKan0: 1:43am On Jan 13, 2012
This has been my fear espicially in the North like they did in the elections. Smh.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by Nobody: 1:51am On Jan 13, 2012
Usual idle talk from idle minded politicians.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by NegroNtns(m): 3:24am On Jan 13, 2012
I dont understand you guys. You want to live in a democratic society but you criticize all the instruments and dynamism that are needed for a healthy competition and political progress to blossom. It is in proper order for ACN to inject partisan politics into the protest on the streets. It is in their democratic interest to do just that. I would question their priority if they did not use the opportunity to attack the central party.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by cffb: 2:58pm On Jan 13, 2012
Former pet minister ,Tam David west has just stated clearly that there is nothing called subsidy on Tv continental, what are we talking about. Nigerians ,let fight on.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by babestella: 2:59pm On Jan 13, 2012
It is always envisaged in a situation where the PDP party is losing its popularity once more. State of emergency will be another wrong decision to take by the executive, lets wait, watch and see how it plays out. I suspect that is why Gov Fashola was summoned to Abuja and flown to Abuja in the presidential plane.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by umechuma: 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2012
Nice move by GEJ
Time to deal with wild,wild, west
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 13, 2012
What cant j ebele azikiwe do? He is now using the efcc to haunt genuine yoruba business men.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by oddy4real(m): 3:03pm On Jan 13, 2012
The Action Congress of Nigeria and mindlessly senseless propaganda. Like their Governors didn't support the Subsidy removal.
Lai Muhammed is going Senile.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by jpphilips(m): 3:07pm On Jan 13, 2012
One big problem of Nigerians is our inability to scrutinize people’s pedigree.
Look at president Jonathan for instance, this is a man with zero success story as both deputy and Gov. of bayelsa state, zero success story as both vice and acting president yet Nigerians delude themselves he is the messiah even when it was clear that unscrupulous people were donating to his campaign, we still believed he will take us to the promised land on luck.
Let us talk about this mystic economic team Jonathan put together, who are these people?
I for one have no bias against any public official in which ever capacity but I have zero tolerance for incompetence.
Has sanusi’s economic model ever worked in this country? Which economic school of thought does he belong to and what is his mission in this country?
I asked this because I am an ardent follower of events in our economic sphere and have never been shy to put Sanusi’s parlance and pragmatism of economic solutions to a test, but as I speak, sanusi’s economic agenda eludes me.
This is a man who inherited a banking sector which according to Business day 2006 edition averred that “for every five Nigerians with a good job, three are bankers”.
Today, we have a Sanusi who in his usual voodoo economic jingoism has created more unemployment and inefficiency in the banking sector than the military junta.
Who is this man Sanusi?
In the words of his predecessor who consolidated these banks, “the banks were more financially robust” and doing bigger business but along the line something happened.
There was partial deregulation and the cost of diesel went all time high and very scarce, some of those companies who took loans from the banks were running high over head cost and couldn’t survive the tsunami of events that followed,
Job cuts, and eventual closure was the case. During the last days of chukwuma soludo, the businesses were already down so no way to repay the bank loans.
The banks were stranded but soludo applied wisdom, in his words ‘’ decision making in the banking system must carry the instrument of perception along’’ and that was exactly what he did, he quickly created an EDW whereby the near distressed banks could quietly access Govt. loans to revive their institutions hoping to keep people’s confidence in tact while the banks gradually recover.
Here comes our Sanusi with his usual economic parlance and political jingoism.
Destroyed the first instrument of perception which soludo fought so hard to preserve by coming on National television to announce that those banks are not healthy. Till date, we lost one of the most viable sectors of this economy; we lost meaningful employments and international confidence in our banking institutions in its entity, thanks to Sanusi’s voodoo economic theories and mystic economic solutions.
I ask again; who is this Man Sanusi and his mission in this country?
I leave you to be the judge of preceding events from Sanusi’s actions. After consulting his economic oracle, he boldly told Nigerians that the way forward is to bail out the banks (which he destroyed) and SME’s (small and medium scale enterprise) hoping that they will bounce back in business to repay the bank loans.
Till date, Sanusi has not given Nigerians the progress report of those bailed out banks and SME’s especially those in the textile business.
Today, by throwing his weight behind full deregulation in the downstream sector simply tells me that Sanusi’s witch doctor did not tell him exactly which economic formula destroyed his banks. Perhaps he thought that his SME ‘’palliative’’ was good enough for miserable Nigerians who don’t mind trading a permanent position job for a contract job which was what his SME’s were offering or rather, our employments for underemployment.
This is a man that ignores the basic on ground economic theories that work in the country for some mystic economic solutions.
That begs the question; should you deregulate fully the downstream sector, what becomes of those SME’s and how do they repay the loans you gave to them considering that energy cost and inflation will triple their over head cost? Or has his voodoo economic solution already categorized them as mere collateral damage in his economic reform agenda?
Let us analyze some of sanusi’s Hennessey inspired economic formulae.
First he said that by withdrawing subsidy they have destroyed corruption and broken the financial bones of the ‘’cabal’’ benefitting from this subsidy regime, is this really true?
If the landing cost of PMS is about 110naira and government’s inefficiency bloats it to 141naira (ofcourse, storage,transportation,deumurrage etc as enshrined into the subsidy are all Govts ineptitude).
“Citeris paribus” under the subsidy program, a marketer earns 110-65 (ie if ideally Govt clean their mess)
And without subsidy, a marketer makes 220,180,165-110 who exactly did this economic magician break their finances? Because what I see in my economics kwashiorkor is Govt transferring the burden of import deficit to the people not the marketers losing money like sanusi claims.
Secondly, his liquor economics made him believe that he will save money in the face of spiral inflation, and went ahead to justify the inflation saying it is by a little fraction not more than 10% increase, lol. What indices did this acclaimed “pundit” use in measuring this?
In an economy without a functional price regulatory agency and a comatose standard organization with shabby police officers? In an economy where everybody is his own LGA and can fix rates with impunity? What drives this man’s economic sagacity? Witch craft?
Thirdly,
Sanusi is consistently lying to Nigerians that an increase in pump price will attract investors to build refineries; this is the verge where I think sanusi should go back to school.
SLS is not enlightened enough to understand why there was an exodus of indigenous American companies between 1998 to 2008 to Asia and Africa, reason; COST OF DOING BUISNESS or better put, UNFAVOURABLE BUISNESS CLIMATE.
With unfavorable tax laws, incessant labor wage reviews and land acquisition challenges, most companies couldn’t survive and they left US en masse conversely, land grab in Africa and cheap labor in Asia became viable alternatives.
Today, a drunk CBN governor in his usual rhetoric, capitalizing on the chasm of academic deficiency of average Nigerians is proposing that increase in pump price which will directly translate to high energy cost (in a generator driven economy), spiral inflation and high cost of labor will attract foreign investors to build refineries. Is it not ridiculous?
What kind of voodoo economic theory is that?
sanusi quickly forgot to tell Nigerians that their existing refineries even at a disappointing output is subsidized.
Mr Sanusi should have asked himself, when we deregulated diesel, did we attract heavy duty companies, diesel refineries and why?
According to his business model, I was expecting that after the deregulation of diesel, we would have had companies like CAT,Ingersollrand,Volvo,Ebara,bosh,Groove,Capco etc even refineries enhanced to produce more of Diesel with limited petroleum by products relocating their plants to Nigeria to benefit from our diesel profitable market. But in reality, that wasn’t the case and i will explain why;
Take shell for example, the presence of SPDC in portharcourt has given rise to a plethora of servicing companies rendering one or two services to shell and that is how it works. These servicing companies are equally employers of labor.
Does sanusi think that the refining companies will be servicing themselves? Is that possible? When you destroy the business environment for these smaller servicing companies to thrive, how exactly do you want the refining companies to thrive? For the few that will survive, at what cost will they render their services? Shouldn’t the investors consider these in their feasibility studies?
How will they cope? If at all it works, most components and services are definitely going to be outsourced to neighboring countries creating jobs for Ghanaians and Nigerians than Nigeria.
Some servicing companies will rather relocate to nearby countries and leave skeletal operations here in Nigeria just to stay in business; sanusi will end up exporting services elsewhere.
I am deeply ashamed and embarrassed at the caliber of people that take decisions for this nation.
I say it for the umpteenth time; we don’t need to create problems to solve problems, what we need is to ensure that Nigeria has cheaper oil on ground, that will attract investors as against sanusi’s high pump price economic theory which will breed inflation and closure of smaller companies.
The IOC’s (international oil companies) operating in Nigeria has told us that it takes less than 12 usd to extract 1bbl of our crude oil.
Why is sanusi not thinking of creating a solution from that angle? if NPDC can guarantee us just 150,000bbl/d of this cheap crude at less than 12usd, the market will be attractive, add refining cost and other cost to push it to about 22usd/bbl a pms of 30naira per litre will be achievable from these refineries and inflation will reduce by over 40%.leaving us with a plethora of servicing companies which will translate to more jobs.
Is this too much for Madueke and Sanusi to sit and figure out? Other than their inflation marred solution.
Lastly
Sanusi lied that the subsidy reinjection fund will be used to build refineries; I can’t help but pity his unrealistic mystic economic solutions.
How much is the FG’s cut in the SURE fund? Less than 600billion, what kind of refinery will that build? I hope sanusi is not confusing refineries for fuel dispensing stations or are we heading for another IMF/world bank debt burden? I don’t just get it.
Where will this SURE funding appear from? I didn’t see it in the 2012 budget proposal, is it right to increase the suffering of the Nigerian people and go back and implement your constitutional annual budget?
Where is sanusi going to get the crude oil to supply these refineries? From the little we make from our JV? I hope this man is not taking us for a ride?
This same crude we use to implement our budget? Which sells at international price? This man is cynical.
How did we end up with two monsters sanusi lamido sanusi and Allison Madueke at the same time?
I can see a pattern in Sanusi’s line of thought;
if a bank is performing poorly, CLOSE IT DOWN
If the subsidy regime is performing poorly; SCRAP IT.
Can Nigerians please help me ask Sanusi if it is a crime to proffer real economic solutions to economic challenges other than throwing away the child with the bath water?
Should we fold our hands and watch our Economic magician Sanusi scrap the economic foundation of our survival?
Sanusi and Allison madueke are doing a great disservice to this nation though I don’t expect Mr. President to fire them because he is too incompetent to read the hand writings on the wall.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by mployer(m): 3:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
Alhaji Lie Mohammed at his best . . . who would dare envisage such nonsense, with the fairly calm and Carnival like protest going on .  . .No one can spoil our steady fun at Ojota Please . . .Asha might perform tomorrow  Grin

Tomorrow, the Eko Carnival 2012 continues . .Eko Oni Baje oo!

I feel you my brother.  We are killing two birds with one stone. Carnival and protest in one package cool
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by Yomboy4ever(m): 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2012
jmaine:

Alhaji[size=18pt] Lie[/size] Mohammed at his best . . . who would dare envisage such nonsense, with the fairly calm and Carnival like [/b]protest going on .  . .No one can spoil our steady fun at Ojota Please . . .Asha might perform tomorrow  grin

!

carnival like indeed.
Can u tel us ur tk home evry month to see if u r n ur family  can afford  d  141?
I am sure u will b d first to jump if d price is goes back to 65.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by nairaman66(m): 3:15pm On Jan 13, 2012
Accusations and counter-accusations will not take us anywhere, We need to concentrate squarely on issues that brings us together as Nigerians. Removal of the fuel subsidy is one of them, Corruption in high places, Electricity, Good Roads, Police. All these issues need to be addressed appropriately else?? I have spoken!
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by aletheia(m): 3:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
diluminati:

What cant j ebele azikiwe do? He is now using the efcc to haunt genuine yoruba business men.
^
Really? But I thought you wanted him to tackle the corruption in the Oil sector before lifting the subsidy. So now they are "genuine yoruba business men". I see.

Stop being si[b]l[/b]ly.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by basadenet: 3:23pm On Jan 13, 2012
Is Lagos not part of Nigeria? so If there is need for such, let the FG do as it pleases
Afterall, state of emergency were declared in some states, so lagos should not be an exception.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by mployer(m): 3:24pm On Jan 13, 2012
carnival like indeed.
Can u tel us your tk home evry month to see if u r n your family  can afford  d  141?

I don't think the Guy is against the protest. if you've been to ojota recently you will notice that the carnival-like nature of the protest makes it peaceful and less stressful. how else do you want to control that kind of crowd if not by engaging them in some kind of fun
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by karlfon: 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
A mob killed two people and burnt mosques and homes in an overnight raid on a mainly Muslim village in Adamawa state in the latest such violence residents said Friday.

“It was around 11:30 pm (2230 GMT) when a crowd from Imbur attacked Gwalam village, setting fire on homes and mosques,” resident Abubakar Hussaini said, with Imbur a largely Christian area and Gwalam mainly Muslim.

“So far, we have two deaths, and we still don’t know the fate of some residents who fled into the bush to escape the attack.”

The attack occurred in Adamawa state, which is to hold a governorship election on January 21.

Such ethnic and religious violence often occurs around election periods in Nigeria, though some residents believed the attack was in retaliation for the recent killings of Christians in the state claimed by Boko Haram.

Gamo Jika, an official in the state for one of Nigeria’s main Islamic organisation, Jama’atu Nasri Islam, confirmed two were killed.

“We have two dead from the attack on Gwalam by some Christians. We are taking inventory of houses burnt in the attack,” he said.

Adamawa state police spokeswoman Altine Daniel confirmed the attack but gave no details.

Imbur and Gwalam villages are located in Numan, a flashpoint of sectarian violence.

Nigeria has seen spiralling violence mostly blamed on Boko Haram, whose recent attacks targeting Christians have sparked fears of a civil conflict in a country roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and mostly Christian south. AFP reported.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by ocelot2006(m): 3:36pm On Jan 13, 2012
Bloody lie
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by semid4lyfe(m): 3:41pm On Jan 13, 2012
^^ A case of crying wolf when there is none.

Moving on jare. . . . . . .
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by jmaine: 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2012
Yomboy4ever:

carnival like indeed.
Can u tel us your tk home evry month to see if u r n your family  can afford  d  141?

What were you trying to say Oldman4ever
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by studyineu: 3:48pm On Jan 13, 2012
hmmmm
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by dejust(m): 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2012
Give us another statement, this one has no substance. Maybe ACN is trying infiltrate the crowed it organised why wil FGN want to destablize her own ctizens.l
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by studyineu: 3:51pm On Jan 13, 2012
hmmmm
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by philip0906(m): 3:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
jmaine:

Alhaji[size=18pt] Lie[/size] Mohammed at his best . . . who would dare envisage such nonsense, with the fairly calm and Carnival like [/b]protest going on .  . .No one can spoil our steady fun at Ojota Please . . .Asha might perform tomorrow  grin

!

r u trying 2 be funny or what? undecided
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by kizito96(m): 3:57pm On Jan 13, 2012
Impossible
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 13, 2012
Lai mohammed with his loose rantings as usual!
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by jmaine: 4:05pm On Jan 13, 2012
philip0906:

r u trying 2 be funny or what?  undecided

Give it your meaning and move along  cool . .
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by asoebi(m): 4:06pm On Jan 13, 2012
We have taken proper action and the homicide unit of the State Criminal Investigation Department is investigating and once the investigation is completed, we shall take the next action.”

Lets say the next step of action in going to be in the year 2015, cos there are still a lot of cases on ground for the homicide dept. grin grin grin grin
i laugh in yagba language
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by asoebi(m): 4:13pm On Jan 13, 2012
One big problem of Nigerians is our inability to scrutinize people’s pedigree.
Look at president Jonathan for instance, this is a man with zero success story as both deputy and Gov. of bayelsa state, zero success story as both vice and acting president yet Nigerians delude themselves he is the messiah even when it was clear that unscrupulous people were donating to his campaign, we still believed he will take us to the promised land on luck.

sir, you took the words right out of my mouth.
I wonder why people will just wake up and start shouting that their messiah is come, whereas God has never promised Nigeria any messiah not to talk of giving us one.
Re: Fg Planning State Of Emergency In Lagos – Acn by success4(m): 5:11pm On Jan 13, 2012
aso ebi:

sir, you took the words right out of my mouth.
I wonder why people will just wake up and start shouting that their messiah is come, whereas God has never promised Nigeria any messiah not to talk of giving us one.

God bless you friend! The reason is lack of FORESIGHT! More so, sentiment, religion, tribal etc all forms of short-sightness has belouded the senses of
reasoning of many of his followers. shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Would Have Won With A Wider Margin – Oshiomhole / Explosion In Kano, 2 Feared Dead / Police Ban Knock-Out This Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.