Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? (10360 Views)

Tiger Woods Regain World Nø 1 Spot In Golf. / Tiger Woods Reclaims World Number One Title In Golf / Drugs In Golf Too. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by onila(f): 2:33am On Jan 13, 2012
Golf is the  richest sport. .so why dont Nigerian men give it a try. .I am seeing many golf coursez ard Nigeria

who is going 2 be the next nigerian tiger woods?
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by NegroNtns(m): 3:05am On Jan 13, 2012
I dont know about the South but when I lived in North, Nigerian men play golf, polo, rugby, soccer, and many other sports.

2 Likes

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Rossikk(m): 3:08am On Jan 13, 2012
Who said Nigerian men don't play golf??

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Wq67d4_9WeE/Tt4Ds8PPncI/AAAAAAAAAL4/_1Yx_w6li8k/s1600/golf.jpg[/img]

IBB Golf Course, Abuja

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by ektbear: 3:20am On Jan 13, 2012
Seems boring as heck to me personally.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by martyns303(m): 7:07am On Jan 13, 2012
am the only one of my friends that dont like football, i'd prefer Gulf, Snooker or Table Tennis.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 15, 2012
@ekt bear so I thought until i gave it a go here in Australia.I bet you I am now addicted to it having to play the 18 holes at any point in time
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 15, 2012
you have no idea what you're talking about

our moguls play golf wella - go to ikoyi club, you will see a putting green

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 11:07am On Jan 15, 2012
@ekt bear, i said and thought the same a year ago and now im regretting it, i play good golf and have won many trophies, its a game where show who you are, there are several rules and regulations and when you break it, youll meet your punishment infront when no one sees you, its a game that tells you to be patient in life, take it in ahurry and youll loose everything, i have lost so many trophies trying to be fast and now i have learnt my lessons, i will teach you the game and what it takes to become a member at a very cheap rate in one of the best srtaight 18 holes in nigeria, a young golf course where you meet honest nigerians, i play goood golf too, just determination and enjoyment, you walk miles without knowing it, you stay healthy and robust with strenght, you enjoy your life without paying much, i will teach you golf through my resident professional who has gone far and wide, youllll be suprised the kind of guys youll meet there, send me an email if you care and tahnks to the OP,    chrisblinge@yahoo.com   you will love the game, indeed it wont wont cost you what you ahve in mind, just fun all the way

2 Likes

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by stagger: 11:07am On Jan 15, 2012
Golf is an expensive sport to play. Golf clubs are expensive and you have to buy several of them to cover the kind of shots you will play for the holes. And when I say expensive, I mean real expensive. You can buy a good second-hand vehicle with a set of golf clubs.

In contrast, soccer which is a favourite of most males I know, is not expensive. All you need is a football, a pair of boots, shin guards, uniforms and you are good to go. N30,000 can cover this expense. Moreover, you burn more calories playing soccer than golf.

I see golf as a sport you play to interact with big men to close business deals. The IBB Golf course is actually not far from my house, but for me, golf is yet to interest me enough to take it up.

2 Likes

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by omar22(m): 11:08am On Jan 15, 2012
I only played in once and I really enjoyed it

But unfortunately it was on a Nintendo Wii

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 15, 2012
I dont know if its the hype or something. Is there anything great about hitting a ball with a stick ? I will give it a short when I grow older.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 15, 2012
@Korrection
Korrection:

@ekt bear, i said and thought the same a year ago and now im regretting it, i play good golf and have won many trophies, its a game where show who you are, there are several rules and regulations and when you break it, youll meet your punishment infront when no one sees you, its a game that tells you to be patient in life, take it in ahurry and youll loose everything, i have lost so many trophies trying to be fast and now i have learnt my lessons, i will teach you the game and what it takes to become a member at a very cheap rate in one of the best srtaight 18 holes in nigeria, a young golf course where you meet honest nigerians, i play goood golf too, just determination and enjoyment, you walk miles without knowing it, you stay healthy and robust with strenght, you enjoy your life without paying much, i will teach you golf through my resident professional who has gone far and wide, youllll be suprised the kind of guys youll meet there, send me an email if you care and tahnks to the OP,    chrisblinge@yahoo.com   you will love the game, indeed it wont wont cost you what you ahve in mind, just fun all the way
I have taken your e-mail too. I will contact you. I need the relation if I find it peaceful
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 11:16am On Jan 15, 2012
@stagger, i dont think you are telling the truth here, i have 3 sets of golf bags with clubs, all were given to me free of charge and i have already given out more than 2 before i got the three, youlll meet people that love you and will want to give you things when you ask, i can give you some clubs for a start and when you know the game youll know that its as cheap as you even imagine, someone went to the states and bought me a new callaway 1 wood, just yesterday someone gave me 3 golf shoes, and im loooking for someone to give atleast 2 to cos i have more than 5 all na for dash, one good turn deserves another, but golf dey sweet oh, i swear u fit even give GEJ ruling as long as you have a lower handicap more than him, try it man, i encourage you guy, it might be expensive in other parts of the world but not in Nigeria, atleast i can beat my chest on that, i started golfing 10 months ago and now i play good golf with less cash,
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by cicero(m): 11:19am On Jan 15, 2012
That's not correct, a lot do but it seems out of reach, the moment you decide to actually get involved the facility wont seem so far fetched, then you also realize it's addictive.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 11:21am On Jan 15, 2012
@leomax, youll regret when you get older, i can bet you on that, you see Golfing is just something you cant do without, its your life, it corrects so many things in life, hitting of balls requires 3 things which is applicable to life transformations,   i developed it myself but sometimes i loose myself on that, its cales the E P A, an acronym that stands for E, eyes on the ball, meaning focus, Patience, which is a virtue, A, allignment meaning placing yourself in a correction stand and motion, then hit the ball, youllll be suprise how a small ball can go more than a bullet, miss it and you all all want to reverse it, now wait for the next hole as your correction can earn you some happiness, its all about life, life starts on a tee box, life is a fairway, miss it youll be pained, get it you are successful, so be careful
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 11:24am On Jan 15, 2012
@cicero, its cheap, its addictive but affordable, im unemployed at the moment, but it keeps me going out from social vices till i get a good job which is still coming from one of the golfers, you might not know it until you are there, im handicap 15, in just 10 months, can you dig that

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by stagger: 11:26am On Jan 15, 2012
Korrection:

@stagger, i dont think you are telling the truth here, i have 3 sets of golf bags with clubs, all were given to me free of charge and i have already given out more than 2 before i got the three, youlll meet people that love you and will want to give you things when you ask, i can give you some clubs for a start and when you know the game youll know that its as cheap as you even imagine, someone went to the states and bought me a new callaway 1 wood, just yesterday someone gave me 3 golf shoes, and im loooking for someone to give atleast 2 to cos i have more than 5 all na for dash, one good turn deserves another, but golf dey sweet oh, i swear u fit even give GEJ ruling as long as you have a lower handicap more than him, try it man, i encourage you guy, it might be expensive in other parts of the world but not in Nigeria, atleast i can beat my chest on that, i started golfing 10 months ago and now i play good golf with less cash,

I might actually take you up on your offer when I get back from a course I am currently attending.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by cicero(m): 11:27am On Jan 15, 2012
LeoMax:

I dont know if its the hype or something. Is there anything great about hitting a ball with a stick ? I will give it a short when I grow older.

It's more than that, for one you will spend your first weeks working on your posture and swings, then you will feel messed up that hitting some ball is hard, especially when you observe some player near you hitting it with precision. In golf you don't hit balls though, you swing!
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by cicero(m): 11:32am On Jan 15, 2012
Korrection:

@cicero, its cheap, its addictive but affordable, im unemployed at the moment, but it keeps me going out from social vices till i get a good job which is still coming from one of the golfers, you might not know it until you are there, im handicap 15, in just 10 months, can you dig that
I agree with you totally. But from a distance it looks out of reach because of the caliber of people you see playing, until you get closer and discover it's just another great game, plus the networking opportunities it creates.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 11:33am On Jan 15, 2012
@Cicero, you are good, swings are good but hitting balls for a start is a better start so be a good teacher, lol, i dont finish my swings but my shots are the best, no one taught me golf, i just develop my own instincts, i play wrong grip but my ball dey move sha, now that makes me a good teacher, hehehe
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by cicero(m): 11:41am On Jan 15, 2012
@korrection handicap 15 in ten months is great men, I guess you are giving it more time than me. My coach really pissed me off with 'keep working on your posture, grip and swing'

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 11:46am On Jan 15, 2012
@stagger,,,,,,no problem, golf is a great game, honestly, you can imagine my body weight came down from 90kg to 69 kg in just 2 months and sincethen  i still dey drink my beer and enough nkwobi and eba yet my tummy is as sexy as hell, thanks to the game, you need see me before i started playing golf,
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by KINGwax(m): 11:58am On Jan 15, 2012
omar22:

I only played in once and I really enjoyed it

But unfortunately it was on a Nintendo Wii
guy, that wasn't unfortunate. It should be great. Lol
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2012
@cicero, thanks man, just play 36 holes a day for two weeks of my free time and GBAM!!!! Im there, will be going to play 18 today to keep fit, its bettter than thinking of a lady who dont like you, I actually started playing hard when my ex messed up after all my time and energy and money, men that play golf are better emotionally in control, ask question, i can give out some clubs to anyone interested and promise to play the game, im a good player, and im planning to go to single handicap by april, hard work is it,
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by buzugee(m): 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2012
because we are not pretentious bores. besides, the black mans spirit is not suited to golf. golf is a game for people with docile spirit. black people have an active spirit. which is why we play basketball
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 12:09pm On Jan 15, 2012
@buzugee, laff wan kill me for your post here, depends on why you want to play it, what golf course and club have you been to?, Docile spirit indeed, i bet you cant walk through a complete golf course in just 30 mins, before now i thought it was a lazy mans game, football and baskeball is learning is exhaustion, try it and youll be back to say otherwise, lol, i wan faint the first day i finished 18 holes with mental stress on what to do,

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by frenchman2: 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2012
Seun, how did this topic get to the front page.

when there is crisis in the country, golf is making the headlines.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2012
@Korrection
I beg to differ , golf is still an expensive sport. Going by your words any sport is cheap if you are given the kits free , the cost of a standard golf set is far higher than the average cost of kits and materials for most sports not to mention membership cost at a standard golf course. Yeah golf is a good sport and deals are closed in the club houses more than in offices but it still remains unattainable to the average and lower class Nigerians. I'm more cerebral than physical so I prefer mentally tasking sports/games like chess , scrabble and even draughts.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2012
Personally I see Golf as a game for lazy men or better still for guys with some form of ailment.  Golf sucks and it's very very dull!! If there is no adrenaline rush in a sport then it is not worth calling a sport. Maybe golf should be classify under something else and not sport.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Orikinla(m): 12:20pm On Jan 15, 2012
Poster, I can see that you are ignorant of the facts and those who are well informed replied you accordingly. There are over 1000 active members of golf clubs in Nigeria. I started playing golf as a caddie until I switched to tennis and finally ended up in Karate. I love golf. But Nigerians elites make it a big deal. You have to join any of the clubs before you can have access to play golf. I still report golf on my Nigerian Times and The Guardian newspaper is the number news media reporting golf in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 12:27pm On Jan 15, 2012
@frenchman2, crisis will come and go but sports will be there, what do you want us to discuss, the nlc says 2moro is the mother of all strikes, do you want us to kill ourselves

@apocalyse, i can give you some good clubs to start with if you care, the game is good, try it, ill bet when you start youll apologise for critisizing,

@woodcook, ailment, im DDF, disease and drug free, have you ever seen a golf course before, have you taken a walk in just 2 holes, stop saying what you dont know cos you just want to say something here, ok? no offence, i started as a caddie and under ten months im proud to be a golfer
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 15, 2012
Becasue right now we are more interested in fuel subsidy and boko haram issues.

dont worry after we sort our selves out, we shall consider playing golf. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Venus Beats Serena In Lagos Exhibition Match / NPFL: Sunshine Stars Vs Shooting Stars (2 - 0) On 10th May 2015 / Super Eagles To Face Portugal In Friendly September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.