Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,235 members, 7,957,551 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:28 PM

Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It (776 Views)

Configuring Software Like Vuze Torrent Downloader With Iwp / Need Help Configuring My 3.5g Modem / Configuring Nokia E71 With Laptop Using Mtn Gprs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by suprman: 3:17pm On Oct 08, 2007
Friends pls help,
Where in lagos can i get a breif private 101% practical lecture on server configuration within one or two days and to be able to configure my office server which they said i must do or forget my job. pls help i beg ooooo.
All along i have managing the network only without having much knowledge on how to configure the server.
cos my company is runinng both Lan/wan.
just tell me all u know can help me.
God bless u.
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by buddie(m): 4:13pm On Oct 08, 2007
google search these things and read my friend,
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by Cactus(m): 4:40pm On Oct 08, 2007
Do I pity you? no and never will pity you. If you like, lose your job.

People that are qualified for that position dont get it because of people like you trying to pose. It is a shame and disappointing.

and yes this is a bash.
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by OKX(m): 5:58pm On Oct 08, 2007
DUDE.GO TO IKEJA COMPUTER VILLAGE. U WILL FIND PPL THAT CAN WALK ON WATER THERE.DONT KNOW HOW MUCH IT WILL COST U THO.WALK INTO ANY OF THE BIG FIRMS AND TELL THEM ABT UR PROBLEM-IF THEY CANT HELP U,NOONE ELSE CAN.

CACTUS,U DONT KNOW HIS STORY SO DONT BASH HIM TIL U KNOW THE DETAILS.PPL DO ALL KINDS OF JOBS THEY EITHER DONT LIKE OR KNOW ABT 2 SURVIVE IN NIGERIA- HE CLD B ONE OF THEM.
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by Cactus(m): 6:49pm On Oct 08, 2007
cry

his story, does it matter? I don't blame him for doing what he is doing.

It's the company I blame. It is no different from what major IT consulting companies from Indian and around the world do.
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by Tini(m): 10:11pm On Oct 08, 2007
hey,theres nothing u cant find on the net,just go and download ebooks and check out some sites.
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by paribus(m): 9:06am On Oct 09, 2007
suprman:

Friends please help,
Where in lagos can i get a breif private 101% practical lecture on server configuration within one or two days and to be able to configure my office server which they said i must do or forget my job. please help i beg ooooo.
All along i have managing the network only without having much knowledge on how to configure the server.
because my company is runinng both Lan/wan.
just tell me all u know can help me.
God bless u.

I think you need to shed more light on your specific requirements. I'm trying to get my head round - "All along i have managing the network only without having much knowledge". What aspect of the network management have you been doing devoid of the knowledge of being able to configure the server. Ordinarily i would think the latter preceeds the former i.e you would in the first instance have some configuration competencies before being able to manage the same servers/network. Your answers to the following might be useful in providing recommendations for you:

What is your network setup - Operating systems, number of servers, type of cabling (patch panels, switches, routers etc), type of WAN connectivity, do you have a remote branch office(s) connected via WAN or is your WAN to the internet.

What portion of this network infrastructure are you directly responsible for. What does your day to day 'management of the network' involves.

VERY IMPORTANT - What 'server configuration tasks' are now being required by your company and can you give some brief background on how this requirements came to be. Hints - Anything related to  configuring the physical server hardware (maybe you're a proliant, poweredge or xseries shop), configuring some specific application server (exchange, sql, sms) or configuring the server os (AD, RIS, DHCP, RRAS, Clustering, DFS, CA, NLB etc)?

The information you provide would be helpful in better understanding your predicament.

As a short term solution, i think you would be better of with the smaller training schools or individuals (with a decent home network equipment kit) that can rush you through a 24-hr server config programme. For the larger training schools, i'm not quite sure if bureaucracy would allow you to get the needed attention in a short time - considering your desperate situation - might be wrong though, just my 2cents. And your situtation should be an eye opener for you as well - go to computer village, i'm sure you can get a decent p3 desktop for 10/15k, get about 2/3 of these and set up your own network. You'll be amazed at what you can learn (and how fast) with such set up.

@other posters
While the situation of the poster might not exactly encourage any pity, i don't think he should be crucified. Havent we see enough of paper mcses and how they drown fast on the job role (not saying this is what the poster is). I think it doesn't cost anything to always help such folks out especially if they 'learn' from the process. Regards
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by ANDSTEL(m): 10:04am On Oct 09, 2007
@paribus,
Unbehalf of the poster (suprman), i am saying u are simply a gift to humanity. ur answers have shoWn THat u know it much and are ready to share it. we are here to help each other and not to laugh or point out each others' lapses afterall no one knows it all. i am not an expert in networking i would have helped the person with some info cos his case is pathetic indeed.
And to the poster: note : i think u need to act fast on the suggestions of PARIBUS
and i pray the lord will help u cos its not easy having a job.
ONE LUVVVVVVVVV
Re: Configuring My Office Server: My Job Depends On It by swintec: 2:17pm On Oct 09, 2007
VERY IMPORTANT - What 'server configuration tasks' are now being required by your company and can you give some brief background on how this requirements came to be. Hints - Anything related to configuring the physical server hardware (maybe you're a proliant, poweredge or xseries shop), configuring some specific application server (exchange, sql, sms) or configuring the server os (AD, RIS, DHCP, RRAS, Clustering, DFS, CA, NLB etc)?

@paribus

I dubt the poster knows the detail you want him to supply. If he can diffrentiate all these, he will be capable of helping himself

@suprman

If you can supply the info pls do or ask arround to know what is required of you. Or better still explain it the best way you could, even if you can't use the appropriate terminologies

(1) (Reply)

Your Computer Is With Me Come And Pick It Now. / The Truth / Onspeed Software Will Increase Ur Phone To Pc Internet Connection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.