Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption (6698 Views)

S’east Govs Want Cargo Terminal At Enugu Airport. / Northern Govs In Jonathan’s Camp Are Deceiving Him –shehu Sani / Excess Crude: Govs Want $3bn Shared (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by TRUTHTELA: 6:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
Aliyu, is a SMART DUDE, he knows where he's heading, he is Niger ( Nupe/ Gwari ) and does not really identify with Hausa/fulani, but they show ONENESS,when it come to them & SOUTHERN Naija. IMO, the guy personally, does not like the way Nigeria is structured, he is a progressive one and have been voicing it out from day one.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by TRUTHTELA: 6:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
He knows that he's STIRRING THE HORNEST NEST. He subtly wants his people to wake up & stop depending on free MONEY.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by AkoEja: 6:43pm On Jan 13, 2012
To say that this guy is smart calls into question the quality of the assessor. What he is proposing cannot be done in isolation - other considerations have to automatically come in. This is just the idea of somebody who is one-track minded. People like this cannot see things in totality. Their selfishness blinds them so much. Its the dumbest idea I have heard in years!
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Orikinla(m): 6:57pm On Jan 13, 2012
The nationwide strike and protests increased the knowledge of majority of Nigerians on the economics and politics of the federal government more than all the political campaigns in Nigerian history. The only regret is the precious lives lost so far in the first stage of the civil revolution against the corrupt government. It has exposed the dark side of President Goodluck and left the ruling party at the mercy of the majority. The man who once had no shoes now has many foes and many woes to give him sleepless nights until he leaves the state house.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by mamasani: 7:46pm On Jan 13, 2012
This is a progressive suggestion. It will reduce the power of the president and the executives and allow the states to develop the resources in their respective states. The clamour for do or die power will be reduced. Corruption will also reduce as people living in the respective states will not allow wastage of their resources.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by clip: 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2012
Good thank God you people are begining to see reason for SNG
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by karlmax2: 8:00pm On Jan 13, 2012
Is this not what the subsidy removal is also all about let each state pay its own fuel tax? The money FG pay for as subsidy of pms should be given to each state and lga do use it to develop their area if that state decide to use it to subsidize fuel that is their bussiness and stop subsidizing fuel for our neibouring countries. Is the same thing the FG is saying
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 13, 2012
FIscal Federalism aka Resource Control. Be aware that if State pay for subsidy based on vehicular traffic there will be vehicle tax and road taxes. This is all we need.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Chyz2: 8:03pm On Jan 13, 2012
Kinda hypocritically coming from a northerner isn't it? undecided
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by sweet9ja: 8:30pm On Jan 13, 2012
Enough of this north bashing, yes, the north's contribution to our GDP is low, what are rest contributing?
I am from the south and I know many states in the south that are just as parasitic as the north. These southern states are equally not really comfortable with any form of reform and restructuring.
In the last failed national conference, only SE and SS supported resourse control. I remember the west was adamantly against the idea, someone from that region was even reported to have said that it will turn a part the country to Dubai or Singapore, while the rest remain poor and underdeveloped.
Two states from the west also joined with the north and FGN to sue the oil producing state over ownership of ofshore oilfields, a case championed by the then AGF Bola Ige. They prayed the supreme court to give ownership of the offshore fields to FGN.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by sheyguy: 8:54pm On Jan 13, 2012
@sweet9ja
the idea of resource control shld av remained as it was in the 50s, then the west contributed the lion's share and no other southerner complained. Why is it always the SS/SE complaining when it comes to resource. Don't forget tin in plateau also, the sites of tin mining are now virtually unusable, but u will never hear them kidnap or blow up govt property or the railway used in moving 'their' tin.
Eva since we discovered oil the SS/SE av always tried to lay claims of marginalisation, when in fact they are the one maginalizing others.
Most pple complaining in this forum are not being honest.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by rasputinn(m): 9:04pm On Jan 13, 2012
gokuu:

so, are u saying Niger should also control the kainji dam? Or kaduna should control the refinery in the state? If what Muazu is suggesting is given consideration, it will turn into a long chain of reactions.
Yes,but where will they get the crude to refine?Let Niger control kainji,any state that needs electricity from kainji should discuss with Niger,the others through which damable rivers coursed should also construct dams or go the way of IPP.
More states will even become very creative and generate electricity through several other means.
The spin off effect will see a healthy competetion amongst the states/regions to develop the resource bases in their states/regions as against what currently obtains where so many states have become so lazy in the area of IGR and will not even lift a finger to develop their resource bases,just because there is oil money from the Niger Delta
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by sweet9ja: 9:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
sheyguy:

@sweet9ja
the idea of resource control shld av remained as it was in the 50s, then the west contributed the lion's share and no other southerner complained. Why is it always the SS/SE complaining when it comes to resource. Don't forget tin in plateau also, the sites of tin mining are now virtually unusable, but u will never hear them kidnap or blow up govt property or the railway used in moving 'their' tin.
Eva since we discovered oil the SS/SE av always tried to lay claims of marginalisation, when in fact they are the one maginalizing others.
Most pple complaining in this forum are not being honest.
Your argument is born either out of ignorance or just complete disregard for the plight of the people of the ND.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Akiika: 9:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
Good arguement Mr Governor, but how much of oil does your state produce or what does your state contribute to the revenue? if the answer is zero, then s.h.u.t.h.a.Zap.u.p! You are just shooting yourself on the foot.
I have maintained that all these 'local councils' called state just to steal money should be merged if they cannot sustain themselves. Let's go back to the six zones. The Federal Govt. should execute developmental projects directly at zone level, don't give the Governors the allocation any longer. Let them be aware of the zone's share of the allocation and be transparent with what the money is used for, then the Governors can audit the projects, shikena!
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by sheyguy: 9:20pm On Jan 13, 2012
sweet9ja:

Your argument is born either out of ignorance or just complete disregard for the plight of the people of the ND.
please, what plight r u talking of exactly? If u av no point to make u dont av to go rough. What i spelt out there is the bitter truth. If the ND guys are using their ~N20B monthly allocation per state well there will be no plight to talk of here.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Faithnn: 9:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
What this implies is that all the governors and members of the executive council are in support of the subsidy removal.Why did labour union waiste nigerian precious time.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by member479760: 9:50pm On Jan 13, 2012
During election their population is more, during share lost they we are not many, Hausa-man get sense pass Igbo-man.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by millionbuc(m): 10:11pm On Jan 13, 2012
The Genesis of how the subsidy issue came about.

See the full story at;

http://5slate..com/2012/01/how-nigerias-subsidy-removal-policy.html
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by PapaBrowne(m): 10:19pm On Jan 13, 2012
Excellent, Excellent Excellent!!
Progress!!
This is excellent!!
Now we can start talking!!
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by ektbear: 10:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
nakedall:

During election their population is more, during share lost they we are not many, Hausa-man get sense pass Igbo-man.

Lol. This a good point.

Let the amount each state pays towards fuel subsidy be based on land mass and official population from the 2006 census cool

After all, is Kano not the most populous state in Nigeria? grin grin grin
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Wallie(m): 10:49pm On Jan 13, 2012
Sounds great! If I were running Lagos, I won't subsidize fuel directly as people from neighboring states will want to benefit from it. I would use the opportunity to tax the fuel and refund money directly to Lagosians. Those who paid taxes will be given NGN 100k check per year (or however much the current subsidy is divided by number of Lagosians) to subsidize fuel.

I will then add 10% tax on the cost of fuel so that people from other states, those who don't file taxes, and those who consume fuel the most pay their fair share.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by PapaBrowne(m): 11:56pm On Jan 13, 2012
ekt_bear:

Lol. This a good point.

Let the amount each state pays towards fuel subsidy be based on land mass and official population from the 2006 census cool

After all, is Kano not the most populous state in Nigeria? grin grin grin

Why should it be based on population? The amount of fuel consumed per state is not proportional to the population per state. Rather the number of cars and the amount of electricity consumed would serve as a better measure.

Lagos would suffer in that case. As it would have to be responsible for over 800 billion naira in subsidies.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by naijaking1: 12:17am On Jan 14, 2012
^^^^^
I know, I know, I know!
The formula should be based on the number of heads of cattle in each state cool
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by jmaine: 12:23am On Jan 14, 2012
Burden of a billion dolls on Lagos shocked . .damn !!
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Beaf: 12:33am On Jan 14, 2012
All I can say is, thank God the subsidy was removed. Now we can begin to see clearly without blinkered eyes.

We need true federalism, resource control, abrogation of the land use decree, passing of the PIB and a National Conference.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by CrudeOil2(m): 12:36am On Jan 14, 2012
Reasonable suggestion, but it is not practicable under a flawed downstream structure. How will you accurately calculate or estimate the total amount of PMS your state consumes?
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by Beaf: 12:38am On Jan 14, 2012
sweet9ja:

Enough of this north bashing, yes, the north's contribution to our GDP is low, what are rest contributing?
I am from the south and I know many states in the south that are just as parasitic as the north. These southern states are equally not really comfortable with any form of reform and restructuring.

In the last failed national conference, only SE and SS supported resourse control. I remember the west was adamantly against the idea, someone from that region was even reported to have said that it will turn a part the country to Dubai or Singapore, while the rest remain poor and underdeveloped.
Two states from the west also joined with the north and FGN to sue the oil producing state over ownership of ofshore oilfields, a case championed by the then AGF Bola Ige. They prayed the supreme court to give ownership of the offshore fields to FGN.  

Don't mind them. It is easy to take the cowards route and bash Northerners, but if you ask most people the job their governors and LG chairmen do, they will stare at you as if you popped in from Mars. Most Southerners think that the only govt in Nigeria is the FG, and that it is perfectly ok for their states and LG's to generate fuckall.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by CrudeOil2(m): 12:46am On Jan 14, 2012
sweet9ja:

Indeed, we can all pinpoint states that can independently survive economically if resource control is in place. But it is very evident that most northern states (over 70%) will go under.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by cheikh: 1:22am On Jan 14, 2012
@OP
I hope he admits too that majority of the top cross border oil smugglers in Nigeria are so called northerners long before southerners got into the act  sad .
I know of this because I am privy to that information from an impeccable source plus the fact that I have actually witnessed smugglers of fuel tankers crossing some northern borders(Karaye, Katsina state, Sokoto state, and Bornu state) hence fuel scarcity in the north of Nigeria has been a permanent feature of their existence for a very longtime and it is not stopping anytime soon either.
How do you think that there are so many very rich "alhajis" without any visible means of income or so called viable business of note including Atiku who was once the head of the Nigerian customs and excise?.
Sometimes I wonder how southerners reason and articulate their thoughts indeed shocked.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by karlmax2: 1:35am On Jan 14, 2012
PapaBrowne:
Quote from: ekt_bear on Yesterday at 10:28:51 PM

Lol. This a good point.

Let the amount each state pays towards fuel subsidy be based on land mass and official population from the 2006 census

After all, is Kano not the most populous state in Nigeria?

Why should it be based on population? The amount of fuel consumed per state is not proportional to the population per state. Rather the number of cars and the amount of electricity consumed would serve as a better measure.

Lagos would suffer in that case. As it would have to be responsible for over 800 billion naira in subsidies.

NOW Ʊ KNW WHY THE PROTEST IS HOT IN LAGOS.FG has been paying more subsidy on pms for the richest state. Of lagos to the disadvantage of the poorest state of jigawa,
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by revolt(m): 2:57am On Jan 14, 2012
Every time you guys shout how Lagos contributes more money, remember that the federal gov has a policy that makes Lagos the only commercial port. Take a look at the map and you will see how many states have ports and all it takes is a fair policy that allows each state to develop a port. All the Niger delta states have ports opening into the high sea.

The Niger delta guys are the most blessed. Oil, farms, ports etc. Sometimes we from the west forget that all the companies in Lagos are served by a system created by oil money. We should enjoy it quietly becos if you subtract all the oil related businesses from Lagos, where will the capital come from.

Also, I am lucky enough to understand that every state has human resources but not all states have oil, not all states have cocoa, not all states have cattle, not all states have coal, but we must acknowledge that oil is more valuable than all this put together.
Re: Northern Govs Want States To Pay Subsidy Per Consumption by okpurukata(f): 4:49am On Jan 14, 2012
This is a very welcome development. If this strike/sit at home can help us to achieve true fiscal federalism, then its not timewasted after all. Aliyu has actually shown some balls here. Wish ather will concurr. States will better monitor this whole thing than FG.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe / See the First Ever Nigerian President With Master's. Degree. Photos / Lockdowns Will Be Brutally Enforced By January Using Second Endsars Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.