Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:28 AM

Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? (6738 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / Photo: When You Underestimate The Driving Skills Of Your Driver / 10 Worst Quotes Of 2013 By Nigerian Public Figures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by BIGERBOY1: 10:59pm On Jan 13, 2012
It no news now that the Nigerian economy both formal and informal has grounded to a halt, and the economic life line of the country is threatening to follow siute. So the million dollar question is DID THE GOVT UNDERESTIMATE THE PUBLIC? Or Is it just bad luck for the good luck govt?
Some weeks back the govt threatened it was ready for an industrial action like this, it even alluded that the battle line won't be drawn before April and consultation will be ongoing till then, only for nigerians to wake up on jan 1 with a below the belt punch by govt removing of the fuel subsidy. Now as fate may have it the govt is teying to negotiate a settlement to this economic stalemate with the nlc which possibly involves REVERTING BACK TO 65/ltr. So what are the factors at play.
1. Is the Nigerian public waking up from it's long slumber of docility in demanding accountability from govt?
2. New year new system. Did the govt underestimate the power of the public?
3. What has suddenly changed in Nigeria?
4. Can this new found voice and participation by the public be translated into more far reaching demand for change areas like cost of govt, corruption, TRUE electoral reforms etc.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Lasinoh: 1:16am On Jan 14, 2012
The Nigerian public has no brains.
No more borrowed subsidies.
YOUR YE YE SUBSIDIES WERE BASED ON BORROWED FUNDS!!!
Una nor dey shame to borrow for life? shocked
Is Ghana not surviving?
NIGERIA. . . USELESS COUNTRY. GO AND WORK AND LEARN TO SAVE MONEY BY LIVING WITHIN YOUR MEANS. YOU DO NOT NEED 20 COCKROACH INFESTED MANSIONS WITHOUT ROADS PLUS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR YOUR INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL DEBT.

Dangote is a 'gbese' billiionaire!
Otedola and Adenuga too! kiss

Go and work and earn your keep.
Take it up with your government officials who have billions of Naira in allowances. . . While you rot in poverty. cheesy
Face your government officials.
IMF says no more money for you to 'pose' like a ye-ye GIANT OF AFRICA.

Eat pooh! kiss
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by BIGERBOY1: 1:26am On Jan 14, 2012
Chairman take it easy, this is not the madness section. It is the debates section
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Lasinoh: 6:28am On Jan 14, 2012
Madness section indeed. cheesy
You need me to tell you Nigerians are mad?
No wonder ya thread dry like sahara desert!
Eat pooh. . .No more oil subsidy. kiss
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Kobojunkie: 6:34am On Jan 14, 2012
@Poster, I think it is too early to start patting ourselves on the back. On the most part, Nigerians seem to be revolting against the overnight hike in price of fuel and not a lot much else.

If a compromise is reached as early as Monday, we may see things go right back to the way they used to be, but my fingers are crossed. I really hope we have finally had enough.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by AjCityOne: 3:11pm On Jan 14, 2012
@lasinoh you be complete monkey, you day for Texas with electricity for house, better road dey and at the end of the day if the subsidy is removed you will buyer cheaper petrol for US compare to poor people in Nigeria. You probably dey work for nursing home clean old white people's ass! dumb bastard!
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by lolaluv1(f): 3:15pm On Jan 14, 2012
Right now, the public is questioning so many things that they used to be silent about. I don't think the government expected anything of this magnitude. I'm not saying the public has won the battle yet, though!
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by olapluto(m): 3:16pm On Jan 14, 2012
YES. The govt did underestimate Nigerians. Now, the momentum has swung to the masses. I think the masses have a once in century chance of actually getting their will done. The protesters in Lagos alone are more than the population of some countries. That says a lot.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by KoolMaster: 3:22pm On Jan 14, 2012
Lasinoh:

Is Ghana not surviving?
NIGERIA. . . USELESS COUNTRY. GO AND WORK AND LEARN TO SAVE MONEY BY LIVING WITHIN YOUR MEANS. YOU DO NOT NEED 20 COCKROACH INFESTED MANSIONS WITHOUT ROADS PLUS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR YOUR INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL DEBT.

Otedola and Adenuga too! kiss

Take it up with your government officials who have billions of Naira in allowances. . . While you rot in poverty. cheesy

Eat pooh! kiss

Stop running your mouth form US. We don't entertain talk for self impose slave nor 2nd class citizen of other country.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Kolababa: 3:23pm On Jan 14, 2012
@Lasinoh
You bettet faced the plate-washing job you are doing there. Where is the money OBJ saved during his time. For you information, they are not borrowing money because of subsidy. They are borrowing money to finance the overblouted cost of governance where the Senate President is earning times four the salary of your President Obama.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Arosa(m): 3:27pm On Jan 14, 2012
Lasinoh is right, the reality on ground is that world body like IMF have no more money to borrow us. so we need to look inwards. It's going to be difficult but we can do it.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Lasinoh: 3:28pm On Jan 14, 2012
Arosa:

Lasinoh is right, the reality on ground is that world body like IMF have no more money to borrow us. so we need to look inwards. It's going to be difficult but we can do it.

Thank you. cool
Tell them.
Tell them.
Tell them.

The ememies of Nigeria. . . Jesus . . . and Jonathan are numerous.
Eloi. . .Eloi!!!! cry

No brainless 'farts' beyond this point! kiss
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Mayflowa(m): 3:28pm On Jan 14, 2012
I am beginning to like this lasinoh guy. Funny, u make a lot of economic sense
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Lasinoh: 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2012
Mayflowa:

I am beginning to like this lasinoh guy. Funny, u make a lot of economic sense

Thank you. . . Thank you. . .Thank you! cool
Please save Nigeria from recurring debt!
Let gbese subsidy go.
Little by little. . . This is a start.
No more borrowing. kiss

Anyone who has been in debt knows what this means. . .SLEEPLESS NIGHTS.
I don't know how Nigerians manage o. I cannot in good conscience support anyone who keeps borrowing to make Nigerians slaves to the IMF for ever. The saddest part is that Nigeria has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for the debt. NOTHING. Then why keep borrowing? undecided
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by stagger: 3:51pm On Jan 14, 2012
For me, the positives of the strike is that at long last, those long-neglected areas of the petroleum industry such as the upgrade of the refineries and pipeline distribution network, have finally received the torchlight of society and govt.

Now, GEJ knows that there is no excuse not to have the refineries up and working THIS YEAR. No more excuses!
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by darkman200: 3:53pm On Jan 14, 2012
@Lasinoh

send me ur email address, i want to ask you a question privately
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by doctokwus: 4:09pm On Jan 14, 2012
@Lasinoh

send me your email address, i want to ask you a question PRIVATELY
[quote][/quote]
Uhn!Beware d nigerian when he starts asking for tins in private,na so play play dey turn to eat& go
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by darkman200: 4:14pm On Jan 14, 2012
doctokwus:

@Lasinoh

send me your email address, i want to ask you a question PRIVATELY

Uhn!Beware d nigerian when he starts asking for tins in private,na so play play dey turn to eat& go

well for your info, it is not every Nigerian that is criminally minded, he lives very close to where i live in Texas and that is all i was going to ask him about, are you happy now?
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by youngmonie: 4:16pm On Jan 14, 2012
Lasinoh:

Is Ghana not surviving?

Otedola and Adenuga too
! kiss

Eat pooh! kiss

Stupid statement up there, show which billionaire around the world WHOSE business is not in gbese or who did not borrow money for CAPITAL INVESTMENT into the business!!!!
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by gempo(m): 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2012
The fact that they removed it before the 2011 year budget ended, and on jan 1 when people were still on holidays, showed that the government underestimated Nigerians. They thought that it is business as usual. That the general public has bought what they were all selling; which is Nigeria is broke.

My major anger is the amount they spend on running the government. It is too much!!! They should be the one sacrificing and not Nigerians that are already suffering and managing to survive. Let them cut down on them, use it to repair the refineries and build the new ones. After that they can now remove the subsidy. Full stop.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by JimmyBoy1: 4:42pm On Jan 14, 2012
Oh yes, FG underestimated Nigerians. I also diasgree with a contributor who suggested that Nigerians only ask for subsidy retention and nothing more. I was shocked to hear artisans talk about N1b feeding budget at the villa, newspaper budget N45m for VP e.t.c. The kind of questions asked by Nigerians really rattled the government. Questions about cost of running NASS, multiple ministers/ministries, dubious oil trade by govt cronies,how subsidy jumped fron N300b to N1.3b trillion in 2011. This must be the first protest that Nigerians in diaspora took part all over the world.
While I believe that strike will be called-off today with some concessions from both sides , but Nigerians will continue to ask questions till we see tangible changes in our polity.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by musawisdom(m): 4:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
@lasinoh,
is dr no psychiatric hospital in texas, if not beta come home 4ur mental disorder predicament.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by highland(m): 4:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
Yes, The FG does not no that the public can go so far as the situation is now. This will help them to consult very well in the future before taking action that can lead to citizen outrage.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by doctokwus: 4:49pm On Jan 14, 2012
@darkman200;sorry meant no harm," him" is actually a her
darkman200:

well for your info, it is not every Nigerian that is criminally minded, he lives very close to where i live in Texas and that is all i was going to ask him about, are you happy now?
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 14, 2012
@ Lasinoh the dish washer.
I agree with u sha. these protests are long overdue but better l8 than never. I can imagine if these protests were held with this intensity long ago things MIGHT not have gotten 2 this stage. undecided
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by ocelot2006(m): 5:04pm On Jan 14, 2012
Although harsh, and very funny, Lasinoh makes a very good point. We cannot continue to subsidize PMS as it is draining our reserves and serves as an avenue for corruption. It is time we end it permanently. Rather than focus on subsidy, the Nigerians must demand for an end to corruption and poor leadership, accountability and a considerable cut in govt spending. We must also demand the immediate implementation of measures that will ease the negative effects of the subsidy withdrawal on the masses.

But I equally agree with Kobokojunkie's initial post. Those on the streets protesting are only focused on their immediate need, this being the reversal of the govt's decision on the subsidy. No one's thinking of the future, and every other demands look like mere add ons. if the govt caves in to their demand on subsidy, I fear the strike will end there as Nigerians will head back to their respective homes, and members of the cabal continue to smile to the bank as the nation's reserves gets depleted further. We will end up looking stupid.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2012
Jimmy Boy:

Oh yes, FG underestimated Nigerians. I also diasgree with a contributor who suggested that Nigerians only ask for subsidy retention and nothing more. I was shocked to hear artisans talk about N1b feeding budget at the villa, newspaper budget N45m for VP e.t.c. The kind of questions asked by Nigerians really rattled the government. Questions about cost of running NASS, multiple ministers/ministries, dubious oil trade by govt cronies,how subsidy jumped fron N300b to N1.3b trillion in 2011. This must be the first protest that Nigerians in diaspora took part all over the world.
While I believe that strike will be called-off today with some concessions from both sides , but Nigerians will continue to ask questions till we see tangible changes in our polity.

A. The decisions being made today are centrered on bringing down the price of fuel, not on bringing down the size of Government, tackling the problem with Education in the Country, or even reducing the size of Government, but fuel subsidy. That is what Labour and most other groups are really focused on. So if some of those around you complain about N1 feeding and the sort(something we always complain about each year) that is by the side

B. This is not the first protest Nigerians in Diaspora have been involved in. On many occassions in the past, it has been Nigerians abroad protesting with no response of any kind from those in Nigeria. Nigerians in Nigeria protested the violence last year but the ones back home went on about their lives as if nothing was going on.
This new found strength is that . . . new found strength and there is really no predicting how long we will let it run.

C. Again, Protesting as a result of hike in fuel prices, is NOT to be confused with protesting the Nigerian problem. Ask people who protested in Egypt, Tunisia, or Libya. Their protest was not just to get the price of food to come back down but to cleanse the system as a whole, which is certainly not what we are doing so far . . . . maybe not publicly.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by kwibus7: 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2012
Una nor dey shame to borrow for life?
Is Ghana not surviving?

Otedola and Adenuga too!

Take it up with your government officials who have billions of Naira in allowances. . . While you rot in poverty.

Eat pooh!

@LASINOH, U AND UR IMF EMPLOYERS CAN GO EAT S**T, WHO IN NIGERIA IS LAZY? ITS YOU GUYS OVER THERE WHO ARE SO LAZY AND ALWAYS PARTYING THAT YOU NOW HAVE TO OUTSOURCE ALL YOUR JOBS TO CHINA, INDIA AND INDONESIA. YOU LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS BUYING EVERYTHING FROM CARS, CLOTHES, HOUSES AND EVEN EDUCATION ON CREDIT AND NOW WE CAN SEE HOW UR ECONOMY OVER THERE IS, VERY WONDERFUL. NIGERIANS ARE PROUD AND SEE IT AS A DISGRACE TO OWE SO EVERYTHING IS BOUGHT CASH DOWN UNTIL RECENTLY WHEN U AND UR COHORTS STARTED TRYING TO CONVINCE US TO JOIN U AND LIVE OF LOANS AND CREDIT CARDS SO WE CAN EVENTUALLY GET TO SHARE UR PAIN. REMEMBER THE HALLIBURTON SCANDAL, THATS HOW U GUYS SIPHONE MONEY OFF NIGERIA AND THEN BRIBE TO COVER IT UP, IT WAS DUE TO UR EMPLOYERS'(IMF/WORLD BANK) POLICIES THAT THE NAIRA GOT DEVALUED, U ENCOURAGED OUR CORRUPT LEADERS TO TAKE LOANS THAT WE DIDN'T NEED AND THEN MAKE IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR US TO PAY IT BACK, LASINOH! DON'T GET US STARTED OOO!!! BEFORE WE REMEMBER ALL YOUR CRIMES, WHY SUBSIDIZE FUEL WHEN IT SHOULD ACTUALLY COST LESS THAN N45 PER LITRE? AND LEST I FORGET, LASINOH! KISS MY BLACK A**SE.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 14, 2012
Babzilla:

I agree with u sha. these protests are long overdue but better l8 than never. I can imagine if these protests were held with this intensity long ago things MIGHT not have gotten 2 this stage. undecided

I agree. This is now beyond the fuel subsidy. The removal of the fuel subsidy was just the push or final shove Nigerians needed to openly query the Government.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAoLBCmB_Ms&sns=fb[/flash]
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by xpagnol: 5:35pm On Jan 14, 2012
@lasinoh or wateva.

is dr no psychiatric hospital in texas, if not beta come home 4ur mental disorder predicament, I still cant hold myself as i type this.haahaahhhh.

So larsinoh u think that if what led to our borrowing in the first place is not properly tackled that it won't come back for the subsidy even when its removed from the masses AND KEEP ON EATING OUR POCKECT. Which part of the body accomodates ur brain. I guess not ur  FLAPPING SCROTUM, am still laffing at ur mothers pooh. BIG FOOL.
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by kizito96(m): 5:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
The Government thought it was business as usual
Re: Did Government Underestimate The Nigerian Public? by blackrules1(m): 5:46pm On Jan 14, 2012
Nigerians who could see - culdn't talk.
Now, the blind who can talk- have gained their sight.
. . . we can now see, so, we are talking.

Nigeria adds over 1 trillion naird to its pocket in a week.
Where does the money go?
Why must we borrow?
Fuel subsidy mustn't be removed; use our money for it.

# occupy 9ja on a 2-day break. . . may continue if. . .
It's almost 6pm and, we are waiting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Nigerian Presidents Who Died While Still In Office / Congratulations Chukwuma Soludo. / 2023: I Will Contest For Presidency Even Without Zoning– Anyim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.