Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? (2278 Views)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? by AGideon(m): 8:19am On Jan 16, 2012
Hello, pls i would like to have a bsc in eng physics after which i would go for my msc nd phd both in mech eng.
I do not kno d feasibility of dis, therefore i nid counselin and advices on dis pls. All comments from espcially 4rm xperienced persons will be greatly appreciated
thanks in anticipation.
Re: Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^
It sounds to me that you are already studying engrg physics. If true, then you may continue, but I must confess it has its disadvantages and challenges.
If you are just seeking admission, I STRONGLY advise you go for mech engrg directly for various reasons. First, you have more opportunities for undergraduate scholarships (mtn, chevron, total, mobil, shell, etc); there are more opportunities for postgraduate scholarships which I am sure you will need if you want to study all the way to PhD (total/ifp,ptdf,mobil,NDDC,etc). Apart from that, many institutions will not accept a direct MSc Mech eng course with a BSc in engrg physics (except you do a PGD). Also, if you have very good grades in your BSc in Mech Engrg (and with a good GRE score), many universities especially in US will gladly accept you directly into their PhD programme on full scholarship which shortens the long route to a PhD. No american university is likely to accept you for a MSc or PhD in Mech Eng on full scholarship with a Physics Degree). A degree in Mech Eng offers you more career/research opportunities than a degree in Physics IN (I empasize that) Nigeria. So my advice, why not go for Mech Eng, make a first class, or at least a very strong 2.1 (i mean CGPA of 4.3 and above), do a good final year project, then apply straight for a PhD programme abroad.
Re: Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? by tanimola22: 11:46am On Jan 16, 2012
I would respond to your question with a short illustration, which goes as follows:

Ibidapo Obe, former VC of Unilag, had his BSc in Pure and Applied Mathematics, MSc in Engineering and PhD in Engineering. It
is a well known fact that  Physics is closer to most Engineering courses than is Mathematics to Engineering. Consequently, it is not impossible to move to Engineering at graduate level if you did Mathematics or Physics at undergraduate level. In fact, at the school I attended in Nigeria, Physics and Mechanical Engineering guys had some courses together, but this stopped in year 4 or 5 when everyone had to focus on his main area of concentration.

There is a thread on the career section of nairaland that sufficiently addresses this. Scroll through and you should find it.

T22.
Re: Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? by yamakuza: 1:03pm On Jan 16, 2012
^ is there any benefit to that approach?

Post #1 by x-fire, caught by the spambot but viewable via his profile, is of the opinion that as much as possible, the 1st degree should be in engineering and not science as that approach affords more options.

I kind of agree with that.

To the post below: Ok
Re: Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? by tanimola22: 2:05pm On Jan 16, 2012
^^^^

The OP asked if it was possible to do XYZ and I responded to his exact question without necessarily offering him any additional advice.

If he needs advice on whether to pursue Physics or Engineering at first degree level, then that will be another story altogether.

T22.
Re: Bsc Eng Physics + Msc Mech Eng + Phd Mech Eng? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 16, 2012
A.Gideon:

Hello, pls i would like to have a bsc in eng physics after which i would go for my msc nd phd both in mech eng.
I do not kno d feasibility of dis, therefore i nid counselin and advices on dis pls. All comments from espcially 4rm xperienced persons will be greatly appreciated
   thanks in anticipation.     

It is very feasible. My first degree was in Engineering Physics, and my MSc is in Civil (highways/Traffic option). There is nothing you cannot achieve with a Physics degree especially if you have not really made up your mind on what career you want to focus on later on in life.

Fact: with a Physics degree, You can get into any postgraduate degree in Engineering, Finance, Physical Sciences, Geo-sciences and even Clinical Sciences without work experience.

(1) (Reply)

Which Step Have You Reached Today(Photo) / N-power February Stipend: Volunteer Reveals Why Npower Delays Monthly Stipend / MTN Customer Service Officers: What's Their Pay Like?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.