Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,085 members, 7,821,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) (926 Views)

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by swintec: 2:46pm On Oct 09, 2007
Preamble: You will think you know much about computers, untill you are humbled by one small problem. (My  Case)

Genesis: I ran an antivirus (avast) and cleaned a lot of viruses from my laptop. After that a lot of files were missing.
I took time to replace the ones I could and removed from the registry some entries I can not link. I also ran System Mechanic 7 on the system to futher correct more errors. However, one error have persisted.

Case: My computer will boot, after what I think is the end of booting, the  computer will be busy runing an unknown process in the background for another 10 - 15 seconds after which it will open  my documents folder twice in explorer view.

Tried Solutions:   I have tried everything I know to stop this apparent waste of time, but it persisted. I have restarted the system with all the possible boot options, disabled system.ini, win.ini, boot.ini, statup items, services etc.  I have opened the registry and taken the risk of deleting so many lines I thought is the problem, whosyi.

grin shocked cheesy  Now I think my computer is crazy.  Who can supply the remedy to this computer madness.
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by Maleeq(m): 4:14pm On Oct 09, 2007
Are you in Lagos? If yes, Take it to Yaba Pyschiatric Hospital!!! grin

On a serious note, not all malwares out there have been discovered and a remedy provided by the vendors of even the most advanced AVPs. They may verily scan the malicious process without identifying it as a malware.

Since you said it runs as a process, I take it that its definetly in registry as a "runonce" entry. These runonce entries are executed on-startup only. But then again, you mentioned clearing the start-up items. You could have missed out on one.

You could try this:
- Get a copy of your installation CD and from a command prompt, type "sfc -scannow"
- If this process has been attached to a legitimate Windows process/executable, then this would revert it to the original copy.

OR

Lets do it this way, get(if you dont have it already) HijackThis. Run a scan and place the logfile here so that we can help you find the mysterious process.
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by Cactus(m): 4:53pm On Oct 09, 2007
when you get to the explorer view, press ctrl+alt+delete

click on TASK MANAGER or look for TASK MANAGER

FILE > RUN

type in explorer.exe

voila u r in your desktop. I cant remember these steps for winxp the menu options but the two things u r looking for is

TASK MANAGER

RUN

type in explorer.exe

-------------------------

if that works, u have to get registryFix. and that will solve ur problem

I had a similar experience.
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by swintec: 4:20pm On Oct 11, 2007
@maleeq

Thanks, I will try the suggested steps.

@Cactus

I understood that you want me to look at my Task manager for the process that is running at the time the explore is displayed. I will do so now. You you mean something more than what I understood, tell me more.

Thanks for contributing
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by swintec: 11:51am On Oct 13, 2007
I have tried all suggested solutions yet problem persists
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by inze(m): 7:00pm On Oct 13, 2007
Encountered such, but after i got my Norton 2007 Scan my sys, the problem has remained history.

Get a Norton 2007, it gives you all you can think of.

I n z e
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 13, 2007
inze,
long time no post . where u been?
i don dey fear say BSA don catch you. . .
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by Tini(m): 11:55am On Oct 15, 2007
Try doing a system repair or upgrade.it might help.
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by inze(m): 9:06am On Oct 16, 2007
@oyb

Man, am good, i've just been doing somethings on the hideout.

Am still living with the land, nairaland,

I n z e
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by DoubleN(m): 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2007
My Guy what i will advise you is to format the system(Install your OS afresh).The virus must have created some patches and the best way to go about it is to install your OS afresh!Forget all those registry software.
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by daveemuobo(m): 10:07pm On Jan 01, 2008
yes doublen is right,some viruses delete ur system files and thats why u may need to reinstall ur os
Re: Who Can Solve This Windows Xp Riddle (my Laptop Is Running Mad) by Neoteny(m): 1:06pm On Jan 05, 2008
AFAIK the only thing that cripple performance and automatically opens explorer is brontok.

but come o, how can you boot if you stopped win.ini and boot.ini, particularly the latter? if you do that if you can only get into diagnostic mode with the former and no boot at alll with the latter.

hmm, riddles.

(1) (Reply)

Pdf: Your Assistance Please! / Dont Buy Glo 3g Plus Modem Yet! / Nigerian Issued Credit/debit Card That Works On Amazon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.