Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. (999 Views)

Female Suicide Bomber Refuses To Strike In Borno (pictured) / PDP Leaders Dismiss Purported Sack Of Chief Olisa Metuh / Defence HQ Press Release on The Purported Shekau Video In Circulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:57am On Jan 17, 2012
Why does everyone seem to be politicizing the recent anti-subsidy removal protests as a regional/ ethnic thing and peddling patent falsehoods that the Igbos were in favour of the subsidy removal?

For starters, I was in Enugu when the labour protests began and the civil service as well as the organized private sector were ground to a halt as workers abandoned work. The state governor had highly menacing security presence to prevent public protests and stifled the state labour congress culminating in the detention of labour officials. Only non-salaried workers like traders, transporters etc were open to commercial activity.

Even if the South East were more impassive in observing the strike action, majority still observed it. An organized sit-at-home strike is every bit as effective as street protests. The fact we weren't behaving like savages on the streets of the SE with hoodlums hijacking the protest to extort innocent citizens, loot and destroy property like their SW and Northern counterparts doesn't mean majority of us didn't observe the strike action. Last week, my mum who was going to visit her ill sister was serially harassed and extorted by hoodlums mounting road-blocks and STILL had her side mirror and head lamps damaged - is violent mob action the essence of the protest. Even if we were in support of the subsidy removal - which we weren't - it's our inalienable right to have a contrary opinion.

A lot of people use the word "bigot" often here without realizing the ironic twist when spewing their vile prejudicial stereotypes.

There have been faint suggestions of a protest against the insecurity in the North but some are saying we're on our own due to not protesting the fuel subsidy removal. Just shows how truly sick some people are where we spit on the sanctity of human life to score cheap points.
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by exotik: 12:08pm On Jan 17, 2012
it is too late to cry, the strike/protest is over.
fuel is now 97naira and nigeria is back to business as usual and the masses will always find a way to survive ---> corruption. grin
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:19pm On Jan 17, 2012
It's also funny watching the chest thumping from many of us on what we've compelled the government to do. Make no mistake, they've conned us big time. They probably always had the current price in mind but held up N141/litre as a very good, vantage bargaining position.

Fuel price wasn't REDUCED from N141/l to N97. It was INCREASED to N97. The government won - make no mistake about it.
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by doctokwus: 12:36pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nobody is purporting anything.D larger eastern society neglected d strike action
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:43pm On Jan 17, 2012
doctokwus:

Nobody is purporting anything.D larger eastern society neglected d strike action
How exactly? Support your assertion with actual fact rather than baseless allegations some sheep have blindly followed and construed as fact. Pls, back up your claim.
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by nedu210(m): 1:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
People and their wahala, the last time i checked i dint see any igbo inviting other people to protest with them. Afterall its not only igbos dat ar bein kill in the north. By the way ndigbo hav always been on their own and this one will not be different.
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by otokx(m): 2:39pm On Jan 17, 2012
really purported
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nw some are shouting that their foundamental rights as citizens v bin infringed upon by restricting their movement and rights to expression as a result of d heavy military presence in lagos which most comentators here in NL v widely condemed and i do too, but d same comentators some days ago trampled on the fundamental rights of others too who dint join in d street canival/mayhem tagged protest nor observed d strike. These same people also had a right to choice of association as provided 4 in our constitution and thus ought to be respected as well. its no ones business over whose side they are, u realy cant be more catholic than d pope. HE WHO SEEKS EQUITY MUST ALSO DO EQUITY & ALSO MUST COME WITH CLEAN HANDS. Ignorance is nt only limited 2d uneducated alone. Dats d 21st century mentality of most NL comentators here in 9ja 4u @poster
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 17, 2012
@poster.

Who send you?

Look, i was very very "aparthetic" to the stirke. I want the subsidy to be removed. I want the private sector to take over that industry. This will create employment and competition which is good for us.

Besides, I have more pressing issues than to go to the streets to display rebellion for the sake of it. Boko Harsm is more of threat to me than subsidy.

You know what? I got disappointed that Mr. President agreed to do subsidy again. But i am holding him to his words that he will pursue the complete deregulation.
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by FACE(m): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2012
Most of those in support of the protests are highly intolerant of the views of other people. A lot of us are 100% in support of subsidy removal and there is no reason for prosubsidy people to expect anti-subsidy people like myself to support their protests.

How would the pro-subsidy people feel if anti-subsidy people barricaded the roads and stopped them from going about their business in peace ?

N97 is just for starters, full deregulation will happen before the end of the year.
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by Nchara: 4:43pm On Jan 17, 2012
@op, why are you apologizing for doing the right thing?
Re: Purported Igbo Apathy To Strike. by aljharem(m): 5:03pm On Jan 17, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

Why does everyone seem to be politicizing the recent anti-subsidy removal protests as a regional/ ethnic thing and peddling patent falsehoods that the Igbos were in favour of the subsidy removal?

For starters, I was in Enugu when the labour protests began and the civil service as well as the organized private sector were ground to a halt as workers abandoned work. The state governor had highly menacing security presence to prevent public protests and stifled the state labour congress culminating in the detention of labour officials. Only non-salaried workers like traders, transporters etc were open to commercial activity.

Even if the South East were more impassive in observing the strike action, majority still observed it. An organized sit-at-home strike is every bit as effective as street protests. The fact we weren't behaving like savages on the streets of the SE with hoodlums hijacking the protest to extort innocent citizens, loot and destroy property like their SW and Northern counterparts doesn't mean majority of us didn't observe the strike action. Last week, my mum who was going to visit her ill sister was serially harassed and extorted by hoodlums mounting road-blocks and STILL had her side mirror and head lamps damaged - is violent mob action the essence of the protest. Even if we were in support of the subsidy removal - which we weren't - it's our inalienable right to have a contrary opinion.

A lot of people use the word "bigot" often here without realizing the ironic twist when spewing their vile prejudicial stereotypes.

There have been faint suggestions of a protest against the insecurity in the North but some are saying we're on our own due to not protesting the fuel subsidy removal. Just shows how truly sick some people are where we spit on the sanctity of human life to score cheap points.

don't worry my brother. it is not the people par-say but the government who used tribalsim and brain washed the people.

it is alright, I mean already ur brothers are insulting you for protesting or observing the strike by A NATIONAL body which was ignored

(1) (Reply)

Achievements Made In Water,electricity From May 29th, 2011 To Date By Abia State / Poetic Justice? Ghadafi's murder and the US Ambassador's assasination / Shari’a Court Okays Amputation Of Man’s Hand For Stealing N13,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.