Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George (809 Views)

'GEJ Made Mistakes But God Knows He Tried' - Reno Omokri / Patricia Etteh Decamps From PDP To APC / Exchange Of Blows Over Patricia Etteh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by Austincrow(m): 3:50pm On Oct 09, 2007
Etteh made mistakes but… – George
By Geoffrey Ekenna
Published: Tuesday, 9 Oct 2007
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mrs. Patricia Etteh, is currently facing the storm over the N628m scandal. What are you doing to help her?

That’s a good question. I have read the report. I think they have gone on recess. We have assessed the report. Although I am not a lawyer, now, the following questions I think we should ask ourselves: Has any money been traced to accounts of any of the individuals involved? Two, fine, procedurally, there were certain lapses. But what is the standard operating procedure in the National Assembly for this? The lesson I have learnt – and I believe they will learn – is that the due process concept must now be followed in the National Assembly, so that those who are the leaders do not sit in judgement over their utilities. A committee should have been set up to sort the whole thing out. It could be ad-hoc; it could be permanent or anything. The committee should have come out with reports that these are what should be done. The way it is done now makes room for a lot of flaws and did she deviate from the standard operating procedure? And what is that procedure? Has any money been traced into accounts of any individual, which will make it look like he or she have stolen? On that basis, don’t let them vilify them until these things are proved. Let us be fair. Yes, procedurally, there have been certain lapses. No doubt about it. But has that landed them in any criminal form by which funds have been stolen? The public now believes they stole N600m; that is what they read in the newspapers.

When you talk of procedural error and the feeling that the contract was inflated, how fair can the Speaker be treated?

What do you mean by treating the Speaker? Just take this particular case. Even in the Federal Executive Council, ministries would have advertised contracts, done all the bidding and whatever, before they are awarded, memos would have been written. The Due Process Office will set up their own machinery on the Internet or anywhere. What is the cost of the things quoted by the contractors? This is what is done the world over. We are just getting into the throes of that in this country. When you talk of fairness to the Speaker, I say procedurally, there are lapses in that place. Those lapses I have seen based on my experience. What is the standard operating procedure in the National Assembly? You take the National Assembly. Is the due process fully established there? Where you do a counter checking; if you don’t do that, now is the time to let us do that. But in the mindset of every Nigerian, Madam Speaker has stolen N628m. That is not the truth. Look, forget about the names behind those people. Look at the issues because I had that experience. The newspaper will flash stories and the people will say ‘Ah! she has stolen’. If she has stolen money, fine. If she has not stolen money and there are lapses that have been established, then what is the punishment for lapses? That is the way the legislator will look at it. Remember due process started under Baba’s (Obasanjo’s) administration. But it has been on in America for a long time. So, for me, he who goes to equity must go with clean hands. Let us go there before we rush to judgement. They say there were cases before; people have been removed. If people were removed before, was there no transfer of money or something?

Are we saying that unless the money is traced to her account then there is nothing against her?

Was the money stolen? Did they tell you that any money was stolen? I have read the report and what they said was that there were lapses: whether it was advertised or not; whether it was quoted above or above. Has the money been paid or what? If the contract has been awarded, has the money been paid to anybody? Has the money been stolen? If the money had not been paid, it is now that you say, ‘Okay don’t pay.’ If there was a fully established due process, then it would have raised the alarm. If the whole thing has been concluded and money paid out, then, you can send somebody to jail. But now, you apply corrective measures. We have to be fair to her and to ourselves. Today it is her. Tomorrow it could be me. I know tomorrow now, they will say that Bode Geroge is covering Etteh. I don’t have the powers to cover Etteh.

Source:http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200710093275150
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by chidichris(m): 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2007
bode george is an established criminal as he was duelly indicted by efcc on their report on npa but efcc was forced to retrace their steps by the evil man(obj).
what else can such a big flop do for his fellow criminal.
Bleep bode, f, k efcc, Bleep obj and etteh.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by chidichris(m): 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2007
bode george is an established criminal as he was duelly indicted by efcc on their report on npa but efcc was forced to retrace their steps by the evil man(obj).
what else can such a big flop do for his fellow criminal.
Bleep bode, f, k efcc, Bleep obj and etteh.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by uf4oma(f): 8:04pm On Oct 10, 2007
As for me and my house, we are waiting for how this Etteh farce will play out, especially with the new dimension it's taking, with the Frederick Fasehuns and Bode Georges of the great Yoruba race rising up to support this great Yoruba product. Make we dey look am.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by debosky(m): 8:14pm On Oct 10, 2007
uf4oma:

As for me and my house, we are waiting for how this Etteh farce will play out, especially with the new dimension it's taking, with the Frederick Fasehuns and Bode Georges of the great Yoruba race rising up to support this great Yoruba product. Make we dey look am.
Please do not insult the sensibilities of Yoruba people on this forum. Etteh is guilty through and through.

She lied, her very testimony was found to be false, she did not follow due process, contrary to her words, She claimed her subordinates made the errors, it was also shown to be false, she signed on all the documents before sending them to the subordinates.

She said she was trying to 'help' by one of her personal staff being a director in the companies that bid, that is essentially abuse of office.

contrary to what Bode George said, 50million has been paid out, money has been lost.

the issue is not simply Etteh stealing money, this is how it starts, how can you spend 628 million that was not in any budget? Only God knows what they would've moved on to after this one.

She should be impeached and sent to the EFCC/ICPC for prosecution, extra-budgetary spending is a crime punishable by 2 years imprisonment.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by uf4oma(f): 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2007
@debosky, but the Yoruba fathers are rising up to support her, it has become a Yoruba versus other ethnic groups matter. I am from the Niger Delta and I know the role the Yorubas played in the Niger Delta issues. But their double speak always amazes me. And they are the ones who have made it an ethnic issue, specifically, a Yoruba issue.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by otokx(m): 4:05am On Oct 11, 2007
The Yoruba are very good in "helping" themselves be it in SHELL, CHEVRON or the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY and we in the Niger Delta continue to give them the opportunity they desire by not speaking with one voice. ENOUGH is ENOUGH
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by debosky(m): 4:16am On Oct 11, 2007
@ ufoma

who are the so called elders? Again I ask you not to insult my intelligence or that of my people.

Thieves like Adedibu and George are brigands and charlatans, Bode George is routinely defeated in Lagos elections, showing he is no one's elder/leader. He is simply (along with Adedibu) a greedy opportunist who got into a position because of their loyalty to Obj, in criminality and other acts.

You could as well say she is making it into a female issue, since some have claimed that it is because of her gender that this is happening, does that mean I should accuse you as a woman of supporting corruption?

Important elders such as traditional rulers -The Olufi of Gbongan (close to where she originates), Ooni of Ife and others, have NOT in any way come to her defence, neither has Afenifere or any reputable Yoruba leader. These thieves and killers in the PDP fold are the only ones who will support her, and that has NOTHING to do with the general Yoruba population who condemn her acts as vociferously as any other Nigerian

Yorubas helping themselves in the National Assembly? I don't know what you are talking about, but some of the most vocal opposition to Etteh's egregious acts have come out of the South West, with many greedy legislators from all over, including your much vaunted ND also supporting her in her thieving ways because of committee postings.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by almondjoy(f): 6:05am On Oct 11, 2007
otokx:

The Yoruba are very good in "helping" themselves be it in SHELL, CHEVRON or the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY and we in the Niger Delta continue to give them the opportunity they desire by not speaking with one voice. ENOUGH is ENOUGH

Thanks to the OBJ legacy! How will Bode George not open his mouth and utter rubbish? Whom do you blame? undecided You have hit the nail on the head! Tribalism more tribalism. See how Okadibgo to Pius Anyim to Wagbara--4 senate presidents I think-- were disgraced out of office for one charge or the other till Nnamani finished. When Senate presidency was zoned to the north--we did not hear phim! The dude was the only one from the north to hold his tenure without much ado. Now here are these westerners with the same nonsense again. Like they did not know who Patricia "Agbogidi" Etteh was before "climbing" up the corridors of power.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by Arnold1(m): 6:19am On Oct 11, 2007
debosky:

@ ufoma

who are the so called elders? Again I ask you not to insult my intelligence or that of my people.

Thieves like Adedibu and George are brigands and charlatans, Bode George is routinely defeated in Lagos elections, showing he is no one's elder/leader. He is simply (along with Adedibu) a greedy opportunist who got into a position because of their loyalty to Obj, in criminality and other acts.

You could as well say she is making it into a female issue, since some have claimed that it is because of her gender that this is happening, does that mean I should accuse you as a woman of supporting corruption?

Important elders such as traditional rulers -The Olufi of Gbongan (close to where she originates), Ooni of Ife and others, have NOT in any way come to her defence, neither has Afenifere or any reputable Yoruba leader. These thieves and killers in the PDP fold are the only ones who will support her, and that has NOTHING to do with the general Yoruba population who condemn her acts as vociferously as any other Nigerian

Yorubas helping themselves in the National Assembly? I don't know what you are talking about, but some of the most vocal opposition to Etteh's egregious acts have come out of the South West, with many greedy legislators from all over, including your much vaunted ND also supporting her in her thieving ways because of committee postings.

Very well said, debosky.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by uf4oma(f): 6:41pm On Oct 11, 2007
debosky:

@ ufoma

who are the so called elders? Again I ask you not to insult my intelligence?

Dear debosky and others with like mind, I am not the one insulting your intelligence as much as your own people who have turned the Etteh issue into an ethnic matter and calling press conferences to make the stand of the Yorubas known. And I have not seen any Yoruba call a press conference to the contrary to say that Adedibu, Bode George, Fasehun are not speaking for the Yorubas. These have been your spokepersons, so I cannot help but believe that they are speaking for the Yorubas. None of the elders that you speak about has come out to denounce what Etteh has done. There was general outrage when the news leaked about the inflated contract. Who turned it into an ethnic issue but the Yorubas?  I maintain my stand . No apologies.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by almondjoy(f): 11:58pm On Oct 11, 2007
uf4oma:

Dear debosky and others with like mind, I[b] am not the one insulting your intelligence as much as your own people who have turned the Etteh issue into an ethnic matter and calling press conferences to make the stand of the Yorubas known.[/b]

And I have not seen any Yoruba call a press conference to the contrary to say that Adedibu, Bode George, Fasehun are not speaking for the Yorubas.

These have been your spokepersons, so I cannot help but believe that they are speaking for the Yorubas. None of the elders that you speak about has come out to denounce what Etteh has done. There was general outrage when the news leaked about the inflated contract. Who turned it into an ethnic issue but the Yorubas?   I maintain my stand . No apologies.

Thank you! Great Balls of Fire ma'am! There is no greater, more offensive type of deception in the globe worse than "self-deception"  The same attack used to drive Wagbara and co from senate presidency should be used to chase "Princess Patty" out!  What is good for the goose is good for the gander! Yes! We are watching! Indeed, we are watching!

Redialling------------------------------------- uf4oma again for repeat confirmation!
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by chidichris(m): 7:43am On Oct 12, 2007
ufoma,
i don't buy ur idea on this because i know soyinka and gani are yorubas if am not mistaken and these two have called for her resignation.
the adedibus, bodes and co are in the blocks of obj.
it is obvious that they are in their own world and we know vividly that ibos and hausa are in the cartel too so the difference here is that they are in a war so propoganda and and anyother tools are not left out just to achieve whatever they can out of the matter. what about the lates comment of ahmadu ali who made it clear that if she leaves the pdp house members will be recalled.
can u imagine the stupidity and foolishness of a party chairman in an administration that is fighting corruption.
the key word here is fear and this fear is coming from obj who is scared of loosing his grip on the leadership of the country.
do remember rummours are going round against david mark so after etteh it will surely be david mark in the senate and if these two targets are lost maybe to an anti obj group, efcc might be in the line of fire and this could necessitate a probe in the activities of the last adminstration and nigeria will be exposed to most unholy acts of the past admin.
on the other hand, yar adua is yet to accept the fact that he is the president of nigeria as the only case against him will be the april polls and then we will come back here to hail the courts for removing yar adua from power. i think he is been held on blackmail.
copies of the april frauds are the exhibits so he is tied to a stake and he shld be planing on how to liberate himself and be the president for real otherwise we are still indirectly serving the purposes of third term agenda.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by denex: 8:29am On Oct 12, 2007
We may need to redefine that word "mistake".
A mistake is when a china-ware drops from your hand and breaks. A mistake is when you sit on the remote control and the channel switches.

Someone calculatively plotting to steal N628 million is anything but a mistake. Perhaps it's a MISS-TAKE: Taking what you're not supposed to.

I'm strongly against that impeachment move because impeachment still keeps Etteh in the National Assembly.

I wonder why her constituency in Osun state won't just re-call her from the House.

debosky, you guys from her constituency should help Nigeria and get that woman out of there or else we may have no choice but to agree that she has your maximum support.

Mistake my butt!
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by desgiezd(m): 8:38am On Oct 12, 2007
chidichris:

ufoma,
the key word here is fear and this fear is coming from obj who is scared of loosing his grip on the leadership of the country.
do remember rummours are going round against david mark so after etteh it will surely be david mark in the senate and if these two targets are lost maybe to an anti obj group, efcc might be in the line of fire and this could necessitate a probe in the activities of the last adminstration and nigeria will be exposed to most unholy acts of the past admin.

Chidichris, this is hitting the nail right on the head. It is amazing how the whole saga is being turned to a tribal issue. The money that is misappropriated belongs to all Nigerians. Since this Etteh issue came up, I have always wondered how buoyant the National Assembly is and how, at that level of governance, such amount of money would be spent without being budgeted for. Should we be taking all these self appointed leaders who can not even lead their families serious? We all know the kind of person Bode George is. And for Fredrick Faseun that says the whole of yoruba will revolt should Etteh be removed without following due process, let him lead the protest and let us see the number of followers he would command. I had written in another thread some couple of weeks back that whatever was good for Chuba Okadigbo, Adolphus Wabara and Salisu Buhari should also be good for Patricia Olubunmi Etteh.

If we tow the line of all these shameless self-imposed so called leaders and we dont speak with one voice, we might just as well be playing into their hands. Has anyone bother to think about the fact that all the people OBJ imposed on us are people of extremely shady characters? Bode George, Adedibu, Obanikoro, Alao Akala, Chris Uba, Andy Uba, David Mark and many more. Let us break away from this tribal sentiments as see national issues as those that concern all of us as a united people.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by desgiezd(m): 8:46am On Oct 12, 2007
denex:

We may need to redefine that word "mistake".
Someone calculatively plotting to steal N628 million is anything but a mistake. Perhaps it's a MISS-TAKE: Taking what you're not supposed to.

Denex, I'll like to redefine your redefinition as "Deliberate MISS-TAKE"
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by debosky(m): 10:00pm On Oct 12, 2007
uf4oma:

Dear debosky and others with like mind, I am not the one insulting your intelligence as much as your own people who have turned the Etteh issue into an ethnic matter and calling press conferences to make the stand of the Yorubas known. And I have not seen any Yoruba call a press conference to the contrary to say that Adedibu, Bode George, Fasehun are not speaking for the Yorubas. These have been your spokepersons, so I cannot help but believe that they are speaking for the Yorubas. None of the elders that you speak about has come out to denounce what Etteh has done. There was general outrage when the news leaked about the inflated contract. Who turned it into an ethnic issue but the Yorubas? I maintain my stand . No apologies.

You are either trying to be belligerent for the sake of it, or poorly informed and too lazy to get your ignorant mind filled with accurate information.

When did Bode George and Adedibu become the 'spokespersons' of the Yoruba people?

I don't know where you even got this concept of 'speaking for the Yoruba people' nonsense from. Did we appoint anyone as our spokesperson?

Who or What is Adedibu? Is he the Ooni of Ife or the Alaafin of Oyo? Is he a member of Afenifere - the umbrella socio-cultural group of the Yorubas? He is a rabble rousing THIEF, simple and short, just like his PDP compatriot George.

Lets hear what some reputable Yoruba people have said on the matter:

Lateef Adegbite - Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs

“It is for this reason that I find it most disturbing that our lawmakers are still scheming to save the embattled Speaker,” he said, adding that rather than giving cover to the Speaker, “they should allow her to take the only honourable course open to her by vacating office.
“Should they persist in their apparent complicity, the civil society would be justified to use every legal means to protest her stay in office,” Adegbite disclosed.

Professor Wole Soyinka, Olu Falae

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, yesterday joined the league of those calling on the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mrs. Patricia Etteh, to step down following her indictment over the controversial renovation contract rocking the House of Representatives.
Also on Wednesday in Ibadan, the National Chairman of the Democratic Peoples Alliance (DPA), Chief Olu Falae asked Speaker Etteh to step down from her exalted office to pave way for an unbiased analysis of the David Idoko Panel by the House.
"Any cover up should receive appropriate response from the citizenry of this nation. It is against Yoruba culture. We like to think ahead and show by example the way Yoruba people have judged Obasanjo. I think the greatest criticisms of Obasanjo came from Yoruba and prominent among the anti-third third term critics were Obasnjo's own people".

Resign now Opadokun, Falana, others tell Etteh

According to former Secretary General of Afenifere, the pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation and the defunct National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), Mr. Ayo Opadokun, Etteh is no longer fit to hold sway as the Speaker of the House, Describing the indictment of Etteh as a manifestation of a day of reckoning which must come upon unscrupulous politicians, the former NADECO scribe warned against the Speaker exploiting the opportunity of the two-week recess to alter the recommendation of the nine-panel which indicted her.

"As far as I am concerned, the indictment of the speaker is sufficiently strong as to make her unfit to remain in office. She does not have the moral authority to preside over that House any longer," he said, Lagos lawyer and President of West African Bar Association (WABA), Mr. Femi Falana, commended members of the panel which indicted Etteh and urged the House to exhibit greater courage by instituting impeachment moves against her without any further delay.

Is that sufficient outrage for you? Or wait, Bode George and Adedibu's words are more credible than these.

Or maybe its till when Awolowo comes back from the dead to denounce Etteh that you will accept.

That you would regard these thieving criminals as spokespersons for a whole group shows how you reason, If Anini [/b]came back from the dead and said Igbinedion is the best ruler Edo has seen, I'm sure you'll accept him as well. Or if [b]Fred Ajudua came up and said that Nnamani's stealing in Enugu was because he is Igbo, you'll accept it as the gospel truth as well!

Rubbish!

If you have not 'seen any press conferences' I suggest you go educate and inform yourself and stop wallowing in ignorance. To come here and make baseless claims in not only insulting but asinine, especially with copious evidence in the public domain that counteracts your thinking.

Blind confidence in your position when proof obviously points otherwise is the definition for pigheadedness and vacuous reasoning.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by almondjoy(f): 10:08pm On Oct 12, 2007
This is the real "debosky" with lots of evidence to prove his point. 

Stepping away quietly!  No go area!  In search of a good night's sleep!

Over to you oh! "Uf4oma"!  Goodluck! kiss
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by uf4oma(f): 8:30pm On Oct 13, 2007
@debosky. 3 gbosa for you.
Your points have been well taken. And, Awo does not have to wake up from the dead to shout it at the top of his voice. You have done very well so far in that department. Will yet have something to say on the matter if I still feel strongly enough about it but I concede the point to you for now.
Re: Etteh Made Mistakes But: Bode George by chidichris(m): 11:59am On Oct 18, 2007
if there is any topic that i have enjoyed participating most in this forum is this one at hand.
points upon points just to butress sides.
too much points from both sides with less insults.
i enjoy it for real and i have this to say to u mr. debosky, in as much as we have accepted the fact that the two big men are speaking for themselves and their families and not the yorubas, it is always the families of the mad man that takes the shame and not the mad man.
the yorubas as we know have more educated men than the other parts of the country and such we are not surposed to see the reigns of terror by the less reasonable ones in this region.
it is time for the yorubas to stand out and say no to the reign of terror which is affecting nigeria as a whole. this is very important because might anyone outside the yoruba kingdom come in to fight this war, the tribal issues which we have been running away will surely appear.
what am saying in effect is this, every region from time to do have such men but it is always on short term bases but the idea of this long term has never been the case. i am afraid it is going to be as long as life permits because the most honourable obj has on his own called on oyo people to manage and tolorate adedibu because he is too old to be reformed and by so doing nigerians have the same massage to go by.
do not say i did not warn you as to b4 warn is to b4 harm.

(1) (Reply)

( Aljazeera Video ) Olusegun Obasanjo - An Interview / Nigeria Power Shortage To Persist / Nigerian Oil ! Where Do We Go From Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.