Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Your Thoughts On The Strike Action And Nlc & Tuc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Thoughts On The Strike Action And Nlc & Tuc (1100 Views)

The Strike Was Suspended Not Called Off – PENGASSAN President / We’ll Hold Buhari, APC To “3 Million Jobs A Year” Pledge – NLC, TUC / Remove Fuel Subsidy, Face Our Wrath - NLC, TUC Warn Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On The Strike Action And Nlc & Tuc by forkadict(m): 5:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
Please express your feelings on the outcome of the strike action. Do you feel that the strike achieved it's desired aim? Also what do you feel about NLC and TUC's descision to suspend the strike action? Let me start.

I feel let down and betrayed by the NLC and TUC's decision to suspend the strike for three reasons. The first being that Waheed Omar acknowledged many times during the strike that the people's mandate was for Jona to take the pump price back to N65/litre or nothing. Why then did they settle for N97 a litre which still marks approximately 50% increment? Also NLC and TUC claimed that they were not part of the decision making process that reviewed the pump price but they ended up accepting it?

Second, when the strike started, the scope, aims and objectives expanded way beyond achieving a downward review of the pump price of petrol. The struggle then encompassed a downward review of the cost of governance, fighting corruption in the oil sector, instilling transparency in governance etc but i was surprised as everything was narrowed to a mere N97/litre of petrol?

Third. Counting the costs versus achievements of the struggle. It actually cost Nigerians 6 or seven days of strike (which amounted to at least N700b in lost revenue) and 19 lives of young nigerians to achieve a new pump price of N97/litre? I felt that after the seven days strike, the struggle had reached a point of no return. I thought that NLC and TUC would not backdown until we achieved landmark victory. Not a mere N97/litre

My 2 cents though. Please feel free to air your opinions.

(1) (Reply)

The Questions We Should Ask-budget Analysis By El- Rufai / Is Nigerian Customs And Its Draconian Policies Justifiable? / A Compendium Of Corrupt Nigerians - Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.