Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,297 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

» Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile (21123 Views)

Diezani Alison-Madueke Released On Bail - TVC News / Diezani Alison-madueke’s Neighbours Relieved / Buhari Turns Down Former Petroleum Minister Alison-madueke Offer To Refund $250m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

» Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by gokuu(m): 4:46pm On Jan 19, 2012
ABUJA – The Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke has dismissed calls by critics for her to step down from office to allow proper investigation into allegations of abuse in the management of petroleum subsidies.

Alison-Madueke, who spoke to journalists yesterday after the inauguration of the Special Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) Task Force, in Abuja, also noted that the incidence of corruption and abuse in the subsidy process occurred in past administrations prior to recent adoption of the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, PPPRA, by her ministry.

Said she “We live in a democratic country; everyone has the right to speak their mind both for and against any individual, particularly individuals that put themselves up for public office. And I must add that individuals that put themselves up for public office should be very open for criticism because without criticism we cannot grow.”

Throwing more light on what had transpired in the Ministry since her assumption of office she said: “The PPPRA came under the Ministry of Petroleum Resource less than a year ago. Prior to that, the agency was reporting to the Presidency, and had a Chairman of Board. Once it came under the ministry, we looked at it critically and put a new management in place and reshuffled its staff. “

She pointed out that the problem of corruption in the handling of petroleum subsidy had been existing for many years before the present administration. “It did not start in this administration. However, what we have done is to move in and attempt to put processes in place to have the place under control in the shortest possible time,” she stated.

She noted that for about eight months, after the agency was taken over by the Ministry, they looked at the performance indicators for the allocation and were concerned over what we saw and what was on ground from the performance indicator.

“On that basis and considering other issues that we heard, we appointed a new Executive Secretary to go in with the mandate to reform the place, tighten the control and look again at our regulations, and ensure that the entire system, the processes and procedure were handled in a much tighter and controlled manner.”

“And I must state that since the beginning of November when the changes occurred, we have seen remarkable progress.

“Of course, we also called in the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to come in and look at the books, and to prosecute people were they are found culpable. I would assume that we had already put in the necessary processes and procedures to make sure that things are done in a proper manner.”

Speaking on the relevance of the Special Task Force, Alison-Madueke explained that the work done by the Oil and Gas Sector Reform Implementation Committee (OGIC) on the previous bill could not be said to have been in vain.

“However, after the failure of the bill to sail through the sixth National Assembly, we feel that it needs to be redefined and gingered up for a very expedient passage through the new National Assembly.

“We are also aware, as a matter of fact, that at the end of the last National Assembly, there were more than a few copies of the PIB that were floating around. Bringing together these eminent group of Nigerians and very experienced technical committee is aimed at redefining the bill, by bringing all the indices into place and looking at all the critical sections to the strategic purpose of the bill.

“Let us bear in mind that this bill has been in the making for over fifty years, but what we are saying is that no matter how long it has taken we need to get it right once and for all.”

She added that, “This bill is very critical because it is one upon which the entire oil and gas industry will stand for posterity. In a nutshell, the work of the committee is to take it further, redefine it and ensure that is passed as quickly as possible.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/fuel-subsidy-i-wont-step-down-alison-madueke/
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by kokoA(m): 4:46pm On Jan 19, 2012
We know. grin
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by gokuu(m): 4:48pm On Jan 19, 2012
Nigerians are in trouble! Is her father the owner of the ministry??
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 19, 2012
Fuel subsidy: I won’t step down – Alison-Madueke
on JANUARY 19, 2012 · in NEWS

By Okey Ndiribe and Oscarline Onwuemenyi
ABUJA – The Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke has dismissed calls by critics for her to step down from office to allow proper investigation into allegations of abuse in the management of petroleum subsidies.

Alison-Madueke, who spoke to journalists yesterday after the inauguration of the Special Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) Task Force, in Abuja, also noted that the incidence of corruption and abuse in the subsidy process occurred in past administrations prior to recent adoption of the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, PPPRA, by her ministry.

Said she “We live in a democratic country; everyone has the right to speak their mind both for and against any individual, particularly individuals that put themselves up for public office. And I must add that individuals that put themselves up for public office should be very open for criticism because without criticism we cannot grow.”

Throwing more light on what had transpired in the Ministry since her assumption of office she said: “The PPPRA came under the Ministry of Petroleum Resource less than a year ago. Prior to that, the agency was reporting to the Presidency, and had a Chairman of Board. Once it came under the ministry, we looked at it critically and put a new management in place and reshuffled its staff. “

She pointed out that the problem of corruption in the handling of petroleum subsidy had been existing for many years before the present administration. “It did not start in this administration. However, what we have done is to move in and attempt to put processes in place to have the place under control in the shortest possible time,” she stated.

She noted that for about eight months, after the agency was taken over by the Ministry, they looked at the performance indicators for the allocation and were concerned over what we saw and what was on ground from the performance indicator.

“On that basis and considering other issues that we heard, we appointed a new Executive Secretary to go in with the mandate to reform the place, tighten the control and look again at our regulations, and ensure that the entire system, the processes and procedure were handled in a much tighter and controlled manner.”

“And I must state that since the beginning of November when the changes occurred, we have seen remarkable progress.

“Of course, we also called in the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to come in and look at the books, and to prosecute people were they are found culpable. I would assume that we had already put in the necessary processes and procedures to make sure that things are done in a proper manner.”

Speaking on the relevance of the Special Task Force, Alison-Madueke explained that the work done by the Oil and Gas Sector Reform Implementation Committee (OGIC) on the previous bill could not be said to have been in vain.

“However, after the failure of the bill to sail through the sixth National Assembly, we feel that it needs to be redefined and gingered up for a very expedient passage through the new National Assembly.

“We are also aware, as a matter of fact, that at the end of the last National Assembly, there were more than a few copies of the PIB that were floating around. Bringing together these eminent group of Nigerians and very experienced technical committee is aimed at redefining the bill, by bringing all the indices into place and looking at all the critical sections to the strategic purpose of the bill.

“Let us bear in mind that this bill has been in the making for over fifty years, but what we are saying is that no matter how long it has taken we need to get it right once and for all.”

She added that, “This bill is very critical because it is one upon which the entire oil and gas industry will stand for posterity. In a nutshell, the work of the committee is to take it further, redefine it and ensure that is passed as quickly as possible.”

According to the Minister, “We are beginning a new chapter for the Nigerian petroleum industry, as we turn a new page for a new beginning. I think that we have listened to the voice of the people over the last few weeks, as they spoke in unison asking or accelerated reform in the Nigerian oil and gas industry.

“These are reforms that we have already begun to put in place over the last few months and we want to anchor them critically upon the new Petroleum Industry Bill, which is regarded as the most important piece of legislation to have come out of the nation’s oil and gas sector in more than 50 years.”

Accordingly, she said, the government was ready to take another step towards the passage of the PIB. “Despite the challenges encountered in passing the Bill during the last National Assembly, we must now renew our collective determination to work with the seventh National Assembly.

While inaugurating the Committee she said “It is my privilege to inaugurate the PIB Special Task Force under the chairmanship of Senator Udoma Udo Udoma. Together the special task force will be working alongside a Technical Sub-Committee, which is charged with reviewing old versions of the bill and produce a draft within the next 30 working days.”

She further disclosed the terms of reference of the Special PIB Task Force which include “working with the Technical sub-committee and the Office of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, the Office of the CME and the Attorney-General to produce a new copy of the Bill to be presented to the National Assembly in the shortest possible time.”

She added, “It also includes working with the new National Assembly to ensure the quick passage of the bill. We will, of course, consult with various stakeholders including industry operators, labour and civil society, and the media, to ensure that everyone is taken on board in the passage of the PIB for the development of the oil and gas industry in particular and the nation in general.”

“It goes without saying that as eminent citizens with great knowledge and experience in the operations of the legislature and the oil and gas industry , the entire country can count on your technical and legislative acumen to see to the making of this very important bill for the growth and development of the nation’s petroleum industry.”

In his own comments at the occasion, the Chairman of the Special Task Force for PIB Senator Udoma Udoma thanked the Minister for inaugurating the Committee adding that whereas its own duty was that of liaising with the National Assembly in order to ensure a quick passage of the bill, it was the responsibility of the Technical Committee to draft the new legislation.

Other members of the Committee were Senators Tunde Ogbeha, M.T. Liman and Agboti. Others were former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives Hon. Chibudom Nwuche and President of Trade Union Congress (TUC) Peter
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/fuel-subsidy-i-wont-step-down-alison-madueke/
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by LEXYLOV: 6:30pm On Jan 19, 2012
Let look if retardeen will fired her or not. Since she's too powerful to step down. Perhaps she might hold some vital secret of the cabals and administration at hand and that will make her untouchable. the drama is unfold now. undecided
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Lombroga: 6:32pm On Jan 19, 2012
Beaf, what can you say in support of your aunty? Shameless goat.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by lekerenike: 6:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by valencia25(m): 6:38pm On Jan 19, 2012
If you like step-down or step-up,

Can anyone confirm this Jare ''ASUU to call off Strike on Monday 23rd, Jan http://naijamediaworld..com/2012/01/ASUU-to-call-off-strike-on-monday-23rd.html?spref=tw
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by fredoooooo: 6:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
oil money sweet grin grin grin
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Atigba: 6:43pm On Jan 19, 2012
Make una leave her? She is a preety lady,
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 19, 2012
This is where the masses come in! Nigerian masses are too lukewarm in nature - not until they are starving to death before they'll act. Don't let this corruption issue be to-late-in-the-day one.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by bright007(f): 6:51pm On Jan 19, 2012
24 million litres!!why she go like step down?
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by MrGlobe(m): 6:54pm On Jan 19, 2012
We know you wont step down. How can jonathan's girlfriend step down? This woman is the biggest beneficiary of the gross corruption in the energy sector. The saturday protest needs to focus on occupying her. #occupydam
Niger Delta Thief!
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by ifekon: 6:57pm On Jan 19, 2012
GEJ pls do something about this woman o!
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 19, 2012
Abeg leave her alone,she is from Niger delta and niger delta owns the oil, . . . .this is the kind of nonsense you will hear from beaf and the other jonathan's apologists.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by anishe(m): 7:01pm On Jan 19, 2012
Die there. mumu
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by lifestyle1(m): 7:04pm On Jan 19, 2012
The thing dey sweet na. grin
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by gulfer: 7:05pm On Jan 19, 2012
Lombroga:

Beaf, what can you say in support of your aunty? Shameless goat.
correction, shameless HE-GOAT.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 19, 2012
as expected in a corrupt nation lipsrsealed
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 19, 2012
anishe:

Die there. mumu

You mean she should die of oyel or money ?
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by SuGee4real: 7:09pm On Jan 19, 2012
Its not strange!! This is the typical attitude of Nigerian politicians. She still has alot to steal, she can't step down. If GEJ is serious , He should sack this corrupt Woman called Minister of Petroleum.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by cajet81: 7:17pm On Jan 19, 2012
Make we no go get heart attack Oº°˚ ,this stupid people done already plan how the whole story go take end, make we look the issue of the cow called sokoto, how him escape, no be govt call back that crimial cp back to office.like some one talk make we just ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ aware wetin ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ happen
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by baduks(m): 7:18pm On Jan 19, 2012
it's expected, you want those boiz to stop living large
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by Osama10(m): 7:22pm On Jan 19, 2012
She doesn't want to be the first. grin grin grin
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by MZmuaz: 7:29pm On Jan 19, 2012
What are we saying in these country of ours. U know some are more powerful than the government of the day so I did not blame her she can remain there as long as she wishes.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by naijaking1: 7:31pm On Jan 19, 2012
All of you pushing, agitating, and rumor-milling for her exit shall toil in vain, because if God be with her, the whole ACN mob can't even be against her whether here on N/L or Nigerian streets.
Yesterday, the moderator shamelessly highlighted a fabricated news that she has been suspended, sacked, or even "decapitated" This was immediately after carrying false news about her son, her husband, her handbag, her underwear, her, her, her everything embarassed
Shame on you blind supporters of politics of personal destrcution.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by babaowo: 7:33pm On Jan 19, 2012
make the woman step down for anoda thief? Thief go anoda robbery go come thief owo epo robi, dem  still dey occupy their resources noni.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by alby: 7:37pm On Jan 19, 2012
Dear Brethren,

Have we ever wondered who is the head of this Agency? Greedy people will always be Greedy!!!

http://www.pppra-nigeria.org/mgt/board.asp

You will be amazed>>>

Cheer$
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by doctokwus: 7:41pm On Jan 19, 2012
Why wud she step down.She knows that all around her are perhaps d largest collection of corrupt individuals that ever manned a nation's resources,so why wud she b the fall gUy(lady) for others
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by nanidee(f): 7:41pm On Jan 19, 2012
Point of correction, people, Public officers dont step down in Nigeria, even when it is evident that they are incompetent. Stepping down is not in any public officer's dictionary, let alone a 'pretty niger-delta' woman.
Una go wait tire. She knows shes got a very strong backing, thats why she can make claims like she wants.
Re: » Fuel Subsidy: I Won’t Step Down – Alison-madueke | Vanguard Mobile by spicyhoney(f): 7:44pm On Jan 19, 2012
Hmm. . . . watching as the drama unfolds.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Arewa Youths Should Be Put In Chains And Flogged Very Hard - Femi Fani-kayode / I Inherited ₦85bn, $587m Debts, Can’t Pay Salaries Now: Kaduna Governor Uba Sani / "Why Does Fulani Always Have To Rule Nigeria?" - Femi Fani-Kayode Asks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.