Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. (24295 Views)

10 Cheapest Private And Public Universities In Nigeria / Top 10 Schools Of Pharmacy In Nigeria / Admission Into Various Schools Of Nursing Is Still Open - Get Your Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. by InyangO: 5:09pm On Jan 19, 2012
In Nigeria we have a sizable number of private universities, polytechnics, COE etc but the same might not be true of school of nursing. In an economy as diversed as Nigeria, wouldn't it make sense for school of nursing to be dergulated to provide options to Nigerians who may not afford government owned schools of nursing? Or why should age be a barrier to someone who wants to study nursing in school of nursing whereas the case is not so for medical students in public universities? Does it mean at 25, which is age limit of being admitted into nigerian schools of nursing, ones brain is no longer active or is it that the youths can do better than adults brainwise 25 below? I'm just wondering why this age limit and hope some answers could be found from you reading this post.
Re: Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. by lomaxx: 6:28pm On Jan 19, 2012
InyangO:

In Nigeria we have a sizable number of private universities, polytechnics, COE etc but the same might not be true of school of nursing.
quite true. But are schools of nursing over-populated already??
In an economy as diversed as Nigeria, wouldn't it make sense for school of nursing to be dergulated to provide options to Nigerians who may not afford government owned schools of nursing?
take a cue from public and private universities. Which ones are more affordable?? Which ones could likely have the best of standards if improved upon? I don't want to raise a debate on that- but I think privately owned schools of nursing won't be fun for investors and the public at large. How many ajebotas would be willing to attend s.o.n sef? When the same amount of money can afford a private university-
Or why should age be a barrier to someone who wants to study nursing in school of nursing
really
whereas the case is not so for medical students in public universities?
wetin concern medical students with school of nursing wahala?? Abi dem nor follow do nursing for public university?? And why should medicine be compared to nursing in this respect??
Does it mean at 25, which is age limit of being admitted into nigerian schools of nursing, ones brain is no longer active or is it that the youths can do better than adults brainwise 25 below?
well- in my class, i've observed that the younger ones are better off in their grades than some relatively older ones who are tied down by family or business. I think the regulatory bodies need students who'd just concentrate on studies without being distracted by these things. When they fail, they become a burden to many. Not ruling out the fact that those advanced in age can't succeed in this wise- it's relatively rare.
I'm just wondering why this age limit and hope some answers could be found from you reading this post.
i've read the post and i haven't seen answers. Lol-
Re: Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. by InyangO: 7:28pm On Jan 19, 2012
Well, nobody has answered the question of all the contribution made. The answer should be either yes or no and should be based on facts not on sentiment. For instance there is neurologically proven record health wise that states a fifty year old brain is not as good if not better than that of a 20yr old, otherwise people would be retiring before 50 if intellectual productivity were to be judged by age. I even believe that older students perform better if they don't allow distractions to take the better part of them. My sister-inlaw was admitted at above 30 into s.o.n, after graduating here in nigeria, though she wasn't in nigeria and fully married with a kid to my bro, yet she wasn't inferior to the white brainwise and today she's happily practising as a nurse. Suppose it was nigeria and with age and her statue, she wouldn't ve that chance. Why? Age and bla bla bla. Nigeria is short of nurses,go to general and teaching hospitals n see things for ursef. If america can have private s.o.n and places no age limit to prospective students, are we better than they. Government shd do away with age limit or allow it to 30. S.o.n is just 3to 4yrs in nig but 5-6yrs at universities, does it mean that if one is admitted at 30 to study nursing at university that when he/she is through at 35 the brain is no more? If we want good nursing personnel density advocated as at least 10 patients to 1 nurse in nig(usa 1:1), then age limit shd be raised at our s.o.n.

1 Like

Re: Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. by sholly1111: 7:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
When I think about all the stupid policies in Nigeria, I laugh. I got admitted into school of nursing at 41yrs old in U.S and graduated at 43yr, pass my board exam and started working same year. Government policies about age of admission, age of retirement, and age of entering into work force is discouraging in nigeria. No wonder the economy keeps going down and people running away to the western world. Policies need to be reversed.
Sola Oyelami,Tx
Re: Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. by rogerbyy: 4:56am On Jul 23, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School / Strike: Enough Is Enough - Buhari Tells ASUU / Romola Adeola, Youngest Ph.D Graduate In Centre For Human Rights, University, SA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.