Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69824 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 31, 2016
So this all means this engine is going to be cooled by 3 computer-controlled fans.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 31, 2016
Mr Siena Pls could you kindly drop your personal email address I have some questions related to automobile engineering I would like to ask you. Thanks.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 31, 2016
3 Computer controlled fans? Won't it drain the battery or are you installing a bigger coil to make room for the higher electrical drain of the 3 cooling fans?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 31, 2016
dumo1:
3 Computer controlled fans? Won't it drain the battery or are you installing a bigger coil to make room for the higher electrical drain of the 3 cooling fans?

Battery will be fine. They will run with the engine running, meaning the alternator will be charging the battery anyway. The controller also staggers the fan operation, different speeds too.

Only 2 will ever be on with the aircon running. One will operate with the engine off, at low speed till the coolant temperature drops sufficiently.

aqua4172@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 31, 2016
Some more teasers - note the bumper was just refitted for the picture, it's coming off again to finish a few bits and pieces. The radiator and aircon condenser are also temporarily fitted, they are coming off to enable the twin inner fans to be fitted. The third one will be fitted to the outside.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 31, 2016
Siena:

Battery will be fine. They will run with the engine running, meaning the alternator will be charging the battery anyway. The controller also staggers the fan operation, different speeds too.

Only 2 will ever be on with the aircon running. One will operate with the engine off, at low speed till the coolant temperature drops sufficiently.

aqua4172@gmail.com
I get the vivid picture now of how the whole thing is gonna work. just can't wait to see the pics of the cooling fans
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ivoryhouse(m): 1:57am On Feb 02, 2016
Siena:
Some more teasers - note the bumper was just refitted for the picture, it's coming off again to finish a few bits and pieces. The radiator and aircon condenser are also temporarily fitted, they are coming off to enable the twin inner fans to be fitted. The third one will be fitted to the outside.

Exciting project Sienna, keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 03, 2016
Thanks buddy. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
My B5 RS4 rear differential turned up from The Fatherland yesterday. I'll be installing it over the weekend.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by uwemjack(m): 3:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
Siena:
My B5 RS4 rear differential turned up from The Fatherland yesterday. I'll be installing it over the weekend.

By fatherland do you mean Nigeria?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 05, 2016
uwemjack:

By fatherland, I mean Germany.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by XerXesNG(m): 1:07pm On Feb 06, 2016
uwemjack:

Fatherland of the Automobile. Where Audis (and BMWs) originated. Germany.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 06, 2016
XerXesNG:

Spot on bruh. cool
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by uwemjack(m): 6:29pm On Feb 06, 2016
XerXesNG:

Ok
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
Update: 06th February, 2016:

I have finally pulled my DAJ (3.89:1) rear differential, and installed the B5 RS4 replacement, DQA (4.11:1). So the rear of the propshaft is bolted up. At the same time, I discovered the source of a persistent grating noise, which has been speed-related. The previous owner told me the noise had been present for almost a year before I purchased the car, and he'd had both rear wheel bearings replaced in an attempt to get rid of it.

The right hand output shaft seal was pretty much non-existent, with drips of oil sitting on the axle shaft flange. I drained the oil, as I had to swap over the output flanges - replace the B5 RS4 108mm ones with the B5 A4Q 100mm items. I got just over a litre of dead oil, with minute steel filings. The oil was completely black.

Next is to install the middle and rear section of the exhaust.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Lexusgs430: 10:03pm On Feb 06, 2016
How come you managed to smuggle a shopping basket to your house ?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 07, 2016
I have the exhaust partially installed. Somehow I've managed to lose the middle mounting bracket, so I need to order a replacement, and with it being a weekend...

2 Likes

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 13, 2016
Update: 13th February, 2016.

Last night, for the first time I started this project, B5 420-R finally fired up.

Some may recall, I ended up with 2 ECU's. I originally intended to use the 2005 D3 4.2 ECU, and had the immobiliser defeated. I later realised the D3 ECU gets it's VSS via the ABS, unlike the B5 / early C5 cars, which had a speed transducer mounted on the front differential.

I also discovered the D3 4.2 V8 40V engine is mechanically similar to the V8 used in the facelift D2 S8, down to the dual-stage intake plenum. Coupled with the fact the D2 S8 ECU will permit a higher redline, and accept a manual coding, it was a no brainier as to which ECU I used.

The S8 ECU is plugged into my car, though the engine only runs for about 3 seconds before shutting down, with the flashing key symbol in my cluster...

...yes, I have not had the immobiliser defeated in the S8 ECU, and this is for one reason. Due to my building a hybrid wiring harness for the D3 40V motor (2000 C5 S6 / 2005 D3 A8) there is potentially more room for error. With a V8 32V, or V8 40V from a D2 or C5, I can pretty much wire these up, and fire up with the whole car ready to drive, no need to leave the front stripped in case I need to check wiring. This is because I have fully mastered what goes where.

If I had the S8 ECU immobiliser defeated BEFORE I'd verified everything was good, and the engine wouldn't run, it would be much more difficult to trouble-shoot. I would have to work out if a non-start condition was due to an error in my wiring, or a bricked ECU by the IMMO-defeat process.

Now I can confidently send the D2 S8 ECU off to get the immobiliser defeated. I would have at least tried the IMMO-defeated D3 ECU, but there are minor differences in the pin-outs, enough to mean re-pinning the ECU connector.

I still need to swap the high-pressure line from the power steering rack to the vane pump, with my C5 RS6 hose, and plumb in my oil cooler (I simply looped the intake and outlets of the C5 RS6 sandwich plate to allow a quick start). Then I can finally fit the lock carrier for the last time, and connect the coolant hoses.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by FEGEITOK: 11:30pm On Feb 13, 2016
Siena:
Update: 29th November, 2015.

I finally mated my 40V BFM motor to my 01E 6-speed.

I would have thrown both into the engine bay, but I need to replace the power steering high pressure line (PAS rack to vane pump) first. It can be done with the engine and transmission bolted into the car, it just involves more effort, cursing and losing some skin.

I also need to obtain an adapter to mate my facelift clutch slave cylinder line to my steel RS4 slave. As I had previously fitted this transmission and slave cylinder to my 1996 A4 B5 V8, I've long tossed the adapter. One of the reasons every bit of car always comes in useful, and should never be junked, unless you've got loads of them.

I can notice a Bosch S5 battery of at least 100Ah? Am I right?

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by FEGEITOK: 11:41pm On Feb 13, 2016
Siena:
There hasn't been much happening with B5 420-R.

I am waiting for my Milltek downpipes to be delivered. They are decats, but my car will need cats to pass emissions. I do have a friendly tester who will look the other way, but it's worth having a pair of cats anyway. I will most likely purchase a pair of Magnaflow 200 cell HFC's, and stainless V-band kits.

Then cut out a similar length section from each downpipe. The cut sections will be V-banded, so will the HFC's making swapping between cats and cecats easy.

These are what I ended up pulling the trigger on:

Siena could you explain why our panelbeaters are unable to get the sort of perfect welds when fixing exhausts like comes from factory or as the aftermarket products you bought have?

What is the way out other than buying the entire exhaust system anew? which is quite an expense?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 14, 2016
FEGEITOK:

Siena could you explain why our panelbeaters are unable to get the sort of perfect welds when fixing exhausts like comes from factory or as the aftermarket products you bought have?

What is the way out other than buying the entire exhaust system anew? which is quite an expense?

Perfect welds take tons of regular practice. I taught myself to weld, initially my welds were rough, after a while I improved, and can now lay down pretty good welds.

The welder itself also plays a part as well as the grade of welding wire used. The older electrode-style / arc welders are used less these days too. I have never used any of these, preferring a mig welder with gas.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 19, 2016
Just starting to wrap things up in Phase I.

With all systems functioning as they should, I can now send off the D2 S8 ME 7.1.1 ECU for its immobiliser defeat. The exhaust is all fitted, though as anyone who knows the B5 2.8 Quattro / S4 well, would be aware the twin pipes to the cats are not equal in length, they are staggered.

I have purchased an extra metre of T304 grade 2.5" stainless pipe, and matching sleeves. I don't want step-downs.

After all this time, the battery is still okay. This will remain in its original location, meaning no C5 RS6 coolant expansion tank, which on RHD cars sits behind the false firewall, in the battery's location (battery sits in the luggage compartment). I will be fitting a new, clean OEM B5 tank in it's original location too. I want the engine bay to look as OEM as possible, the way a factory B5 V8 would have looked.

I still need to decide what to do about my lower front arms - go with new OEM replacements, or get spherical bearings pressed in. Still undecided.

Tie up the front end - fit my oil cooler pipes, C5 RS6 power steering high pressure line, either retaining the original B5 steering fluid resovoir, or fitting a black one from a B6 - I have a spare. Fit my fans, replace B5 cooling fans control module and harness with B5 S4 items, connect hoses, fit lock carrier for good.

I also need to book the car in at my Audi dealership, to get the aircon system charged up. This weekend, I'll be filling up the 01E transmission and B5 RS4 rear differential. I'm picking up a workshop dispensing pump, it makes getting the gear oil into the filler holes a breeze.

I sat in the car last night, while I was checking everything worked, and it felt good. The interior is much nicer than that of my B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro, it still smells of supple, well cared for leather. The car should be back on the road next month.

Then on to Phase II.

2 Likes

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 23, 2016
Update: 23rd February, 2016.

I shipped my 2001 D2 S8 (ME7.1.1) off yesterday to get the immobiliser defeated. It was received by Vagtronics, who sent me a text alert 20 minutes ago, to let me know it's all done, and is on its way back to me. It will be with me by or before 13:00 hrs tomorrow.

I pulled the front end today (they were not bolted in place) to install my hybrid power steering high-pressure line. I ended up not using the C5 RS6 line. I had to pull the right-hand Milltek decat pipe for improved access, but it was still a bitch. It's one thing removing an existing line, quite a different job fitting a replacement. The worst part of the job (after the grief of actually routing the hose) is getting the banjo and washers in place. Took me almost half an hour getting the thread to take.

I ended up swapping the B5 power steering fluid resovoir for a B6 plain black one.

The rear differential has been filled with fresh oil. The transmission I haven't filled yet, as I have not tied up the oil cooler lines.

I reinstalled the decat pipe, and complete exhaust system is now buttoned up.

I ordered a 7-row oil cooler for my 01E. It doesn't really need to be any larger. I removed one of the C5 RS6 sandwich plate couplings, as I need to visit my hydraulic shop to get a pair of ends for the oil cooler lines. I'm most likely going to mount both oil coolers (engine and trans) under the right-hand frame rail.

Pictures of both oil coolers:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 03, 2016
I took some time off from Audi B5 420-R to complete and engine swap in a 2005 Audi A8 D3 Limousine. Busted timing belt, clogged oil pump due to no oil changes in over 2 years.

The oil was as thick as tar when warm, and solid as wax when cold. He replacement engine is in place, I'm going to gut the original, and build myself a nice coffe table for my den.

Some pictures, where it's all coming apart:

Pictures, where it's all going back together. The stripped engine on the ground is the original, soon to be my den's coffee table:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Joebo(m): 8:00am On Mar 05, 2016
Audis...everywhere......I admire your passion to these machines and to your craft sir !

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 05, 2016
Joebo:
Audis...everywhere......I admire your passion to these machines and to your craft sir !

Thanks bro! smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 05, 2016
I should be wrapping up the Audi A8 D3 pretty soon, then back onto Audi B5 420-R.

Engine swap all done. I also replaced the timing belt while I was in there, I'll post pictures of that later. I'm going to strip down the original motor, get it thoroughly degreaser, then take it to a shop to get the whole lot sand blasted. I can then paint and lacquer it ready for my table base.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Joebo(m): 1:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bros....been a while o. Hope all is good sir?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by marshalcarter: 1:14pm On Mar 27, 2016
Na wa o...etaf tey oo...bros...all dis ride ya buildin..shey u dey sell am or na personal?? Maybe u fit d.....a.....s....h me 1 grin

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
Due to family and other commitments, B5 420-R took a break.

The biggest issue has been the D3 Audi A8L that has been sitting on my driveway, with a broken engine due to a bust timing belt. Lots of other repairs have needed doing, it's all done now, and I took the car for a drive yesterday, and parked it in the street.

The work left on B5 420-R involves access to the fuse box, which means opening the driver's door fully. This happens to be the side blocked by the wall. I can now drive the B5 out of my garage. The weather's good to work in the open too.

The D3 Limo will be picked up before the week's out. The owner just needs to decide if he wants me to sort out the collapsed rear air suspension, or drive it out away looking like it's about to lay an egg:

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mili3kid(m): 12:23am On Apr 07, 2016
Siena:
Due to family and other commitments, B5 420-R took a break.

The biggest issue has been the D3 Audi A8L that has been sitting on my driveway, with a broken engine due to a bust timing belt. Lots of other repairs have needed doing, it's all done now, and I took the car for a drive yesterday, and parked it in the street.

The work left on B5 420-R involves access to the fuse box, which means opening the driver's door fully. This happens to be the side blocked by the wall. I can now drive the B5 out of my garage. The weather's good to work in the open too.

The D3 Limo will be picked up before the week's out. The owner just needs to decide if he wants me to sort out the collapsed rear air suspension, or drive it out away looking like it's about to lay an egg:

bros... would love to ask dis question. v always been curious abt it. pls why did U choose audi? wat attracted U to d audis dt makes U love dem so much over other brands?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Apr 07, 2016
mili3kid:

bros... would love to ask dis question. v always been curious abt it. pls why did U choose audi? wat attracted U to d audis dt makes U love dem so much over other brands?

Innovation, and an early connection with the brand.

Worlds first 5-cylinder gasoline engine (1976).
Worlds first production AWD passenger car (1979).
Competitive in Motorsport - the Audi A4 Quattro was the most competitive car in the BTCC, despite being the heaviest car in its class.
Worlds first production vehicle with a 12-cylinder diesel engine (Audi Q7 V12 TDI).
Hold the record for the worlds most powerful Diesel engine in a passenger car (V12 TDI, 500hp / 1,000Nm.
Winner of the Le Mans Prototype (LMP1) every year with the R10 TDI, the first to enter a diesel-powered car in this event.
Pioneers of LED lighting technology.
Worlds first production car built entirely out of aluminium, using unique Space Frame technology (Audi A2 and Audi A8).
And much more!

Early connection? My mom's official car back in 1977 was a 1976 Audi 100 LS sedan. My first experience owning my own was when I purchased a 1981 Audi 80 1.6 GL automatic. This was back in 1990. Till date, I have owned approx. 39 Audi models, with 35 being AWD (Quattro) models.

Identify the following, and enjoy!

Where it all began, when the Audi Quattro was launched in 1979. Pretty much every other subsequent AWD car was modelled on this car, one of the most iconic cars of the 1980's, and marking a very important era in Motorsport:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.