Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,382 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends (16397 Views)

Clash Between Yorubas And Nupes In Kwara (Photos) / Why Yorubas Are Inferior Muslims According To My Northern Friend / Boko Haram Killing Yorubas And Igbos 3-days Expired (pix)! -vanguard Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by okooyinbo(m): 3:14pm On Jan 21, 2012
If you listen to Akintola (may his soul rest in peace), you will understand Yorubas problem with the Igbo people. Have things changed today as seen by Akintola back then?

I would appreciate a real discussion rather than insults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPzWW3kXVg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErVSJKMRyhM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk83xIRwI2o&feature=related

Could he possibly have been eliminated by January 66 Coupers because he was bent on dislodging some folks in the central government?

Compare with the utterance here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA&feature=related
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 5:42pm On Jan 21, 2012
Okay, Akintola's speech was done in "conc" Yoruba but I got one of my friend to interpret it.

First of all, both (Akintola, Awo and Bello) do not like the Igbos. That is established. Why did Nigeria not let them go?? If you hate someone, no matter what the person had done in the past, you let them go. Why did Gowon bring them back?? Okay, after saving the Calabar and co from Igbo domination, why not late them have their own country??

I can't imagine this going on in the West and North, and an Igbo man killed the Leaders of the West and North without expecting a civil war in an already suspicious atmosphere.
Also, the quota system, I think we cannot continue with it if we want development. We cannot sacrifice development for national peace, something has to give way. In fact, this made me have a re-think about Southern Nigeria, after all, what is uniting us expect for the hatred for the North (even though, I keep warning that our unity should be based on progressive ideas not hatred) and after the North is gone, a new "enemy", in this case Yoruba, must be found to appease the intense desire for oil. After Yorubas are gone, the new enemies will be Ndigbo and it goes on and on.

It makes you wonder, "What did Azikwe see in a united Nigeria"? Mehn, questions upon questions.

May God's will be done in these countriesthis country! Amen!

1 Like

Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nchara: 5:46pm On Jan 21, 2012
If you hated the Igbos, why did you not let them go when they left?
If you still hate them now, why not let them go now?
What is the point living with an enemy?
I for one will not live with an enemy
If I have a wife and she becomes a source of problem to me
I will either let her go or walk away myself
Nigeria and Nigerians (minus a few) are plain confused.

1 Like

Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by ezeagu(m): 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2012
Can we stop discussing these dinosaurs, instead focus on how to see the backs of each other?
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nchara: 5:51pm On Jan 21, 2012
jason123:

It makes you wonder, "What did Azikwe see in a united Nigeria"? Mehn, questions upon questions.

In addition to Zik, what did Awo, Gowon, the Sarduana, Obasanjo, etc see in a united Nigeria?
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 5:56pm On Jan 21, 2012
Nchara:

In addition to Zik, what did Awo, Gowon, the Sarduana, Obasanjo, etc see in a united Nigeria?

I went to the source of unity which is Azikwe. Awo did not want "one Nigeria", he wanted Southern Nigeria with the East. But he was the minority in a 3-man vote.
Gowon, to be honest, I don't know why he fought to keep Ndigbo in Nigeria. You cannot be in the same house with an unhappy wife or husband.
The Sarduane did not want one Nigeria. He was convinced by Azikwe and the British. All his expressions were against a united Nigeria.
Obasanjo was simply a solider who fought to defend his country's unity.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nchara: 6:08pm On Jan 21, 2012
jason123:

I went to the source of unity which is Azikwe. Awo did not want "one Nigeria", he wanted Southern Nigeria with the East. But he was the minority in a 3-man vote.
Gowon, to be honest, I don't know why he fought to keep Ndigbo in Nigeria. You cannot be in the same house with an unhappy wife or husband.
The Sarduane did not want one Nigeria. He was convinced by Azikwe and the British. All his expressions were against a united Nigeria.
Obasanjo was simply a solider who fought to defend his country's unity.

Awo did not want one Nigeria yet he fought with the worst weapon (starvation) to keep Nigeria one. Are you okay in the brain?

At what point did he change his mind?
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by bashr8: 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2012
Igbos have always been open and truthful about nigerin situation, others either live in denial or are just waking up, this confirms that tribalism didn't start today,if these people really had a problem with igbos dominating everything why didn't they just turn a blind eye during biafras seccession we were actually doing them a favour and ending their misery and nightmares.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 6:17pm On Jan 21, 2012
Nchara:

Awo did not want one Nigeria yet he fought with the worst weapon (starvation) to keep Nigeria one. Are you okay in the brain?

At what point did he change his mind?
Please, no need for insults . . .
According to him, "we are far too deep into the geographical expression to leave now".
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 6:19pm On Jan 21, 2012
bashr8:

Igbos have always been open and truthful about nigerin situation, others either live in denial or are just waking up, this confirms that tribalism didn't start today,if these people really had a problem with igbos dominating everything why didn't they just turn a blind eye during biafras seccession we were actually doing them a favour and ending their misery and nightmares.

I partially agree except for that the Mid-west and West were invaded during the departure and that was what cause the the bad blood between southerners.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by ade80: 6:23pm On Jan 21, 2012
It was actually a war between the igbos and Hausas the Yorubas did not join in the war until it got to ore

The division was led mostly by northern officers. After facing unexpectedly fierce resistance and high casualties, the right-hand Nigerian column advanced on the town of Nsukka which fell on 14 July, while the left-hand column made for Garkem, which was captured on 12 July. At this stage of the war, the other regions of Nigeria (the West and Mid-West) still considered the war as a confrontation between the north (mainly Hausas) against the east (mainly Igbos)[citation needed]. But the Biafrans responded with an offensive of their own when, on 9 August, the Biafran forces moved west into the Mid-Western Nigerian region across the Niger river, passing through Benin City, until they were stopped at Ore (in present day Ondo State) just over the state boundary on 21 August, just 130 miles east of the Nigerian capital of Lagos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafran_War
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by SamIkenna: 6:26pm On Jan 21, 2012
@jason123, I understand your analysis but the big elephant in the room is that even after all others established that "IGBO IS ENEMY" why did they fight to keep "ENEMY IGBO" back to Nigeria? We can shout, yell or twist this but its almost impossible to wriggle out of it.

Listen, I dont hate Yoruba, Hausa-Fulani, or Awo for their actions. I know there was a serious hidden interest  in all of this and dont count out the fact that Awo and Gowon may have been brainwashed by Britain. I know it sounds crazy for people to think Awo could be possibly brainwashed by Brits he hated so much (but believe me, its a possibility). Anyway, like I said, I dont hate them because of their actions but I will never respect their actions because its self-defeating. You dont like someone then let him go, its just that simple. And dont 4get we had a crystal clear reason for wanting out, if you think I'm wrong why do people, especially southerners, want out now? 42 yrs after the war we are back to square one, why?
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by bashr8: 6:29pm On Jan 21, 2012
jason123:

I partially agree except for that the Mid-west and West were invaded during the departure and that was what cause the the bad blood between southerners.

Mischief so what was biafras mission in your so called Yoruba invasion? Capture yorubas? Meanwhile the so called biafrans soldiers in Midwest were of Midwest origin and headed by a Yoruba man,  we can do this over and over again.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by bashr8: 6:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
ade_77:

It was actually a war between the igbos and Hausas the Yorubas did not join in the war until it got to ore

The division was led mostly by northern officers. After facing unexpectedly fierce resistance and high casualties, the right-hand Nigerian column advanced on the town of Nsukka which fell on 14 July, while the left-hand column made for Garkem, which was captured on 12 July. At this stage of the war, the other regions of Nigeria (the West and Mid-West) still considered the war as a confrontation between the north (mainly Hausas) against the east (mainly Igbos)[citation needed]. But the Biafrans responded with an offensive of their own when, on 9 August, the Biafran forces moved west into the Mid-Western Nigerian region across the Niger river, passing through Benin City, until they were stopped at Ore (in present day Ondo State) just over the state boundary on 21 August, just 130 miles east of the Nigerian capital of Lagos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafran_War
What are we supposed to take home from this?
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by SamIkenna: 6:35pm On Jan 21, 2012
jason123 wrote - Please, no need for insults . . .
According to him, "we are far too deep into the geographical expression to leave now".

I applaud your openness but my question is what changed after 6 yrs of independence that made all of us "far too deep" into the geographical expression?

jason123, there is something I came to accept at some point in my life and that is - all our founding fathers were not saints, they had one ulterior motive or the other but somehow they know how to whip their people into their political line. They loved their people for sure but they also played their people because deep down they were all politicians.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nchara: 6:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
bashr8:

Mischief so what was biafras mission in your so called Yoruba invasion? Capture yorubas? Meanwhile the so called biafrans soldiers in Midwest were of Midwest origin and headed by a Yoruba man,  we can do this over and over again.

When you say Nigerian army (fighting against Biafra) what would that mean? Would that mean hausa/fulani/middle belt soldiers or would that mean  hausa/fulani/middle belt/[b]Yoruba [/b]soldiers?
What was the capital of Nigeria at that time?
If you were a Biafran commander, how would you stop the enemy fighting as directed from the capital of Nigeria from attacking you further?
Who led the Biafran invasion of Ore? Do you know why that person instead of an Igbo was chosen for that mission?
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nchara: 6:39pm On Jan 21, 2012
jason123:

Please, no need for insults . . .

''Are you okay in the brain'' is not an insult. It is a question?

''Far too deep'' after just 6 years? We got our independence in 1960 and by 1966 we are already far too deep? The point is only Awo knew what he wanted. He must have been speaking from both sides of his mouth not wanting one Nigeria, but when it was time to show it, he went for one Nigeria.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

@jason123, I understand your analysis but the big elephant in the room is that even after all others established that "IGBO IS ENEMY" why did they fight to keep "ENEMY IGBO" back to Nigeria? We can shout, yell or twist this but its almost impossible to wriggle out of it.

Listen, I dont hate Yoruba, Hausa-Fulani, or Awo for their actions. I know there was a serious hidden interest  in all of this and dont count out the fact that Awo and Gowon may have been brainwashed by Britain. I know it sounds crazy for people to think Awo could be possibly brainwashed by Brits he hated so much (but believe me, its a possibility). Anyway, like I said, I dont hate them because of their actions but I will never respect their actions because its self-defeating. You dont like someone then let him go, its just that simple. And dont 4get we had a crystal clear reason for wanting out, if you think I'm wrong why do people, especially southerners, want out now? 42 yrs after the war we are back to square one, why?

I TOTALLY agree with you. Awo wanted a clause to be inserted in the institution during the formation of Nigeria which allows anygroup or region to secede from Nigeria if she wants. I guess it was also quashed by the "powers". I am not here to prop up awo but the truth is that he (and probably bello) was the only one who understood the "geographical expression" well (Akintola and Saro wiwa testified to it). With this said, why in the world would Gowon bring Biafra back (minus any group that wants out of Biafra) ?? It simply does not make sense in all ramifications. The nation cannot progress if a group as big as Ndigbo (not patronizing) is totally unhappy with it, same goes for the North, Yorubas, Mid-westerners etc.

Well, we are back to square one as you rightly said! One day, the entropy will be too large that we will not be able to escape the gaping truth.

One thing I must point out is, a SNC will be VERY hard to organise in Nigeria because our so called representatives are mostly from PDP and are corrupt (there are exceptions, obviously), a split will not go down well with them. Even if we get to that stage, the votes will be rigged by the "powers will be". Its gonna be difficult bros.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

jason123 wrote - Please, no need for insults . . .

I applaud your openness but my question is what changed after 6 yrs of independence that made all of us "far too deep" into the geographical expression?

jason123, there is something I came to accept at some point in my life and that is - all our founding fathers were not saints, they had one ulterior motive or the other but somehow they know how to whip their people into their political line. They loved their people for sure but they also played their people because deep down they were all politicians.

Agreed. . . .And they are still doing the same thing. In Nigeria today (the most youngers in this generation are not in touch with the whole tribal shenanigans), they are still playing the ethnic card. If there is a bomb blast, it is the Hausas. If there is a fetish crime, it is the Yorubas. If there is an armed robbery, it is the Igbos.
All this is to hang on to power, you know, work on our fears.

For example, a few weeks ago a National revolution against corruption was effectively quashed under the weight of tribalism and suspicion. I mean, these people that did not protest are suffering but they prefer that because "he is OUR son".

It is the same yesterday, today and would probably be the same tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by jason123: 6:53pm On Jan 21, 2012
bashr8:

Please, any one can be employed to do their dirty work for them. I mean, look at Ojo madukwe* who chats shit about Igbos. What about the online isoko/"itsekiri" who chats shit against his people. . . . It has nothing to do with the person's ethnic group.
Even the "yourba man" warned Ojukwu on many occasions about the on-goings in the Mid-west but he was ignored and later killed for losing at Ore.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by OneNaira6: 7:00pm On Jan 21, 2012
ezeagu:

Can we stop discussing these dinosaurs, instead focus on how to see the backs of each other?

grin grin grin grin Agreed though,  we should stop talking about this men and focus our attention on how to fix the problem they created.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by dayokanu(m): 8:38pm On Jan 21, 2012
Interesting
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 21, 2012
Awon ibo alakuko!!!!

LMAO grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by kizito96(m): 8:06am On Jan 22, 2012
the yoruba start teaching their children to hate the igbos from their childhood. we igbos will never trust the yorubas because we look at them as cowards
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Kilode1: 8:47am On Jan 22, 2012
okooyinbo:

If you listen to Akintola (may his soul rest in peace), you will understand Yorubas problem with the Igbo people. Have things changed today as seen by Akintola back then?

I would appreciate a real discussion rather than insults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPzWW3kXVg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErVSJKMRyhM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk83xIRwI2o&feature=related

Could he possibly have been eliminated by January 66 Coupers because he was bent on dislodging some folks in the central government?

Compare with the utterance here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA&feature=related

The details of his message aside, Those guys from the days preceding and immediately after independence knew how to talk to their people.

Akintola, ( ignoring the sectional rhetoric) spoke in the language of the people, very clearly too.

Not only that, he actually explained complex political concepts in his language, damn! It's a shame that we don't make politicians like that anymore.

I agree. This country should'nt have merged at all. It's probably too late to do a peaceful split now tho. Oil is still pumping and the elites benefitting from the oil wealth on all sides won't give up without a fight, they will sacrifice Nigerian people to protect access to their nest egg. It will be very messy.

1 Like

Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Sike(m): 8:59am On Jan 22, 2012
Aigbofa:

Awon ibo alakuko!!!!

LMAO grin grin
lol
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 22, 2012
Yoruba language at its finest!
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by geosegun(m): 9:29am On Jan 22, 2012
It is a pity, calling a peace loving people cowards. If Nigeria goes into war. It will be catastrophic. Too many factor are involved here. 1. Religious war 2. Political war 3. Ethnically based war. 4. Resource control war. 5. Geographical war. 6 Trust/Corruption war. 7. Economic/Class//Status war.  I repeat, totalitarian anarchy will ensue. Nigeria is not Liberia or Ghana with few ethnic groups. The best solution is 4 each state to develop and control it resources. Those who think they have nothing may end up being d best state through knowledge. Britain has little oil at wytch farm oil field which has stopped producing yet it controls the world resources thru its desseminatn of knowledge in most fields including oil and gas. Its only ignorants and fools dat will think they can not survive without d support of other people's resources. In dis regard may i conclude dat the generalty of d core north is d bane of Nigeria's peace and rapid development.
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by ziga: 9:37am On Jan 22, 2012
kizito96:

the yoruba start teaching their children to hate the igbos from their childhood. we igbos will never trust the yorubas because we look at them as cowards

How many Yoruba households have you lived with to make the above statement.

Calling the Yoruba people names on a faceless forum in the comfort of your own home Who is the coward here?

Nchara:

''Are you okay in the brain'' is not an insult. It is a question?

''Far too deep'' after just 6 years? We got our independence in 1960 and by 1966 we are already far too deep? The point is only Awo knew what he wanted. He must have been speaking from both sides of his mouth not wanting one Nigeria, but when it was time to show it, he went for one Nigeria.

Let us try at least to be civil in our discussions.

"Are you okay in the brain" is an insult. If you can't understand that, then you shouldn't be speaking english.

2 Likes

Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 22, 2012
these people and tribalism
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by ceejayluv(m): 9:56am On Jan 22, 2012
The Biafra war was an OIL war, shikena!
Re: Idi Wahala Laarin Yoruba Ati Ibo: Why Yorubas And Igbos Wont Be Politic. Friends by Ihengote: 10:00am On Jan 22, 2012
Split this nation now or

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Presidency Denies Ordering The Probe Of Emir Sanusi And Prof. Soludo / Governor Shettima Honours Bola Tinubu With A State Dinner In Borno (Photos) / Ndume Seeks 50% Salary Cut For NASS Members To Pay ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.