Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! (2466 Views)

A Week Before Leaving Naija, Man Stabbed To Death By Bus Conductor (pic) / Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested / Wicked Naija Man Declares Naija Wife Dead In Order To Marry German (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by BlackPikiN(m): 11:12pm On Jan 23, 2012
A Canadian man accused of masterminding one of the largest high-tech bank robberies in U.S. history was sentenced to nearly 18 years in prison Monday following a years-long investigation into fake debt collection agencies that stole the identities of about 38,000 people
Authorities believe Adekunle Adetiloye organized a scheme[b] to open nearly 600 fraudulent bank accounts and bilk 22 major banks, potentially costing those banks and credit card firms up to $5 million. Assistant U.S. Attorney Nick Chase in North Dakota, where the case was handled, said the 40-year-old had an "insatiable hunger for other people's money."[/b]

Investigators said Adetiloye incorporated two different companies in Delaware _ Syspac Financial Services and Commet Consultant Inc. _ that claimed to be debt collection companies. He gained access to commercial data providers, including large-scale outfits LexisNexis and ChoicePoint that only allow access to law enforcement, financial services and debt collection companies.

With access to those data providers, Adetiloye and others obtained the personal identification information to about 38,000 people, most of whom were medical professionals. They used that information to open credit card, debit and checking accounts, prosecutors said.

Those data providers said it was only the second such breach of that scale.

"Characterizing this fraud scheme as massive, if anything, is an understatement," Chase said in court documents.

Defense attorneys had argued that their client, the only person charged in the case, was a "marginal and minimal participant" whose role was to handle mail and withdraw money from ATMs. But prosecutors and the judge believed otherwise.

Investigators' interest in Adetiloye, a native of Nigeria, was piqued after figuring out he was unemployed and receiving welfare yet living lavishly, complete with a Range Rover vehicle, extended trips to England and an expensive condominium. Then there were two credit cards tucked away in his wallet the each bore different names _ Donald Douglas and Vincent Andriole _ that seemed to confirm suspicions that he was up to something nefarious.

The complexity of the scheme _ which took five years to investigate and litigate _ was highlighted in a sentencing phase that has lasted nearly a year and included numerous hearings and briefings, and some 12,000 pages of court documents. The case wound up in North Dakota after U.S. Bank's customer service center in Fargo intercepted calls by Adetiloye and others.

U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson handed down a 214-month prison term and scheduled a Feb. 15 hearing to discuss returning nearly $1.5 million in losses to credit card companies and banks. The judge has said losses may have been as much as $5 million.

Defense attorney Richard Henderson had asked for a sentence of fewer than 16 years for his client, who pleaded guilty to mail fraud charges. Henderson said any prison time is more difficult than it would be for American citizens because he has no family in the United States. No decision has been made about whether he plans to appeal, said Neil Fulton, lead federal public defender for North Dakota and South Dakota.

"The sentence imposed today should send a strong message to those who would seek to scam the citizens and businesses of North Dakota and the United States," U.S. Attorney Timothy Purdon said in a statement released Monday. "We take the growing problem of foreign financial fraud seriously here and seeking justice for the victims of such crimes is a priority for our office."

Greg Krier, lead credit card fraud investigator for U.S. Bank, testified during the sentencing phase of the case that it was the most complex case he had ever seen. His company, which has its own fraud unit, launched special training sessions focusing on the case in hopes of catching the culprits.

The lead investigator, one of 25 people who worked on the case, put in 2,000 hours, authorities said.

Investigators initially said the operation accessed information of nearly 16,000 people, about 500 of whom had their identities stolen for the purpose of obtaining credit cards. It's alleged that more than 100 commercial mailboxes were opened under false or stolen identities.

But further investigation showed that the scheme actually accessed personal information to some 38,000 people. The government said Adetiloye went so far as to mask his handwriting after a judge ordered a test of his calligraphy.

Erickson, the federal judge, said in court documents ahead of the sentencing that the evidence "indisputably demonstrates" that Adetiloye was a leader or organizer of the scheme. The judge calculated losses to banks at about $1.5 million, but said it could have been as high as $5 million if credit limits had been maxed out.

The trauma cannot be measured, Erickson said.

"The non-monetary harm to the victims was substantial," the judge wrote. "They lost sleep, they lost time with their families, they lost time at work, and they lost their sense of security. Some victims spent hours trying to reclaim their credit record and their identities."

Court documents show that U.S. Bank suffered the most number of tainted accounts, at 130, for a total loss of about $76,000. The companies alleged to have lost the most money were Citibank, at about $271,000, and Discover, at about $248,000.

Brett Bogan, the security investigations manager at Reed Elsevier, the parent company of LexisNexis and ChoicePoint, told the court that data breaches of this type are extremely rare and knew of only one other case like it. He said the company sent out notices to more than 32,000 people whose personal information was compromised by the scheme.

"With their combined extensive and nationwide perspective, those entities place this fraud scheme at or near the top of their historical lists in terms of size and complexity," Chase said in court documents.

http://www.newser.com/article/d9sesku80/canadian-man-sentenced-to-18-years-in-prison-in-1-of-largest-credit-card-schemes-in-us-history.html
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by BlackPikiN(m): 12:04am On Jan 24, 2012
600 accounts. Shay na obsession ni?

What's the difference between a Canadian Man but a native of Nigeria!

God go punish any man wey bring tribalism here.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by BlackBaron: 12:10am On Jan 24, 2012
Choi shocked shocked shocked

Sadly a reflection of the psyche of the average Nigerian man.

Reap where they have not sown
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by tunnytox(m): 12:13am On Jan 24, 2012
May he rot in that jail! Ole!
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by eledalo: 12:22am On Jan 24, 2012
My own question be say does this not show that we nigerian people NOT only leaders have serious value problem. Him no dey 'hustle to eat o', na range rover him wan buy, just to show money, just to show money, money, for people to see and say 'chairman!' 'big boss' 'u don fresh'. Just for hailings.
I must reevaluate my self.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by philip0906(m): 12:25am On Jan 24, 2012
[size=48pt]Adekunle Adetiloye[/size]
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 12:28am On Jan 24, 2012
OP

What is his name? I have not read this article but I swear with my xxxxxx that person must be a YORUBA.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Lasinoh: 12:55am On Jan 24, 2012
Never use your credit card on a Yoruba or Igbo owned website or business!!!!!!!
Kai!!!! cry
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by philip0906(m): 1:09am On Jan 24, 2012
Lasinoh:

Kai!!!! cry
stick 2 d topic
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:11am On Jan 24, 2012
Lasinoh:

Kai!!!! cry

That is short-sighted BS. I buy African food stuff online all the way in MD (I live in the west coast) and the owner of the shop, whom I have not met before, is an Igbo lady.

There are crooks everywhere (including your Edo state) but not everyone is a crook, even among the Yorubas where financial corruption is endemic.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by youngmonie: 1:12am On Jan 24, 2012
philip0906:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Nchara:

OP

What is his name? I have not read this article but I swear with my xxxxxx that person must be a YORUBA.
Abeg no even bring dat one come, like their not plenty igbo brothers in the same business. One of them is even americas most wanted. So pls leave dat angle and dont even start any ethinc bigotry here
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:13am On Jan 24, 2012
youngmonie:

Abeg no even bring dat one come, like their not plenty igbo brothers in the same business. One of them is even americas most wanted. So pls leave dat angle and dont even start any ethinc bigotry here

Credit card fraud is Yoruba turf. Igbos and Edos are babies here. Use your  Nairaland search engine and educate yourself.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by youngmonie: 1:17am On Jan 24, 2012
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/cyber/tobechi-enyinna-onwuhara

Or you want to talk about this. No one is justifying crime but when certain people start to put ethnicity into everything , It is very very wrong
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by philip0906(m): 1:19am On Jan 24, 2012
youngmonie:

Or you want to talk about this. No one is justifying crime but when certain people start to put ethnicity into everything , It is very very wrong
u probably did not understand this:
Nchara:

Credit card fraud is Yoruba turf. Igbos and Edos are [size=18pt]babies[/size] here. Use your  Nairaland search engine and educate yourself.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by BlackPikiN(m): 1:20am On Jan 24, 2012
youngmonie:

Ohh please shut it. I will pull all other stuff to make you look like a mumu.
So shut the hell up and stick to the gad damned embarrassing topic.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by dayokanu(m): 1:21am On Jan 24, 2012
Nchara:

OP

[size=18pt]Tobechi Enyinna Onwuhara[/size], a convicted felon, is wanted for his alleged involvement in an elaborate scheme that defrauded the financial industry out of tens of millions of dollars. Onwuhara is a key member of a group of Nigerians who allegedly have been conducting fraudulent banking activities from Florida and Texas, since 2005. It is alleged that the group has been using online Internet databases to steal victims' identities. Once acquired, they allegedly use the victims' information to gain access to the victims' Home Equity Line of Credit accounts and wire transfer the money to accounts mainly located overseas, some in the United States.

REWARD
The FBI is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Tobechi Onwuhara

Nchara, whats your real name? Cos all I have to do to make this 25k is to point Fibi to your address
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by philip0906(m): 1:27am On Jan 24, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Ohh please shut it. I will pull all other stuff to make you look like a mumu.
So shut the hell up and stick to the gad damned embarrassing topic.
oh please do. . . grin grin
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Rgp92: 1:29am On Jan 24, 2012
Europeans and Americans are robbing us, why is it a crime when we rob bacK?
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by youngmonie: 1:29am On Jan 24, 2012
Im nt saying Yorubas dont do this thing, but I draw the line where some people start bringing ethicity into every single thing. Whether IGbo or Yoruba. THEY ARE ALL NIGERIANS.  simple
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by BlackPikiN(m): 1:36am On Jan 24, 2012
I do not want to go into this tribal nonsense.
I still wonder how a grown up 40-yr-old man will set up such scam thinking he's smart.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:40am On Jan 24, 2012
I repeat:

Credit card fraud is Yoruba turf. Igbos and Edos are babies here. Use your Nairaland search engine and educate yourself.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:41am On Jan 24, 2012
One Tobechi = 20 Yoruba credit card fraudsters. I am the master of pulling up such articles and I can bring up 20 Yoruba cases in place of one Tobechi, as we speak.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Onlytruth(m): 1:43am On Jan 24, 2012
Chai. shocked
Chineke meee!  cry cry cry embarassed embarassed cry
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by dayokanu(m): 1:45am On Jan 24, 2012
Nchara:

One Tobechi = 20 Yoruba credit card fraudsters. I am the master of pulling up such articles and I can bring up 20 Yoruba cases in place of one Tobechi, as we speak.

How many Yorubas have entered Americas most wanted list?

Igbo Kwenu.

I hail ooooo

kwezenu ooo
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:48am On Jan 24, 2012
dayokanu:

How many Yorubas have entered Americas most wanted list?

Igbo Kwenu.

I hail ooooo

kwezenu ooo

Why do you always want me to punish you? Are you a stubborn goat?
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:49am On Jan 24, 2012
Nigerian (SW) criminal gangs busted yet again

http://naijanet.com/news/source/2009/sep/9/1000.html
Naijanet.com

Posted Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota: 11 Nigerians face federal charges for credit card scam

BOB VON STERNBERG

Eleven people have been charged in federal court in the Twin Cities with fraud for a counterfeit credit card scam that allegedly netted them more than $650,000.

The defendants were charged last week with using the bogus cards to withdraw the cash from more than 170 automatic teller machines in the metro area.

According to the criminal complaint filed last week in U.S. District Court, the defendants obtained personal information about customers of Capital One Bank from an online source based in the Ukraine.

With the stolen information in hand, the defendants allegedly manufactured the counterfeit cards with that information. They were then able to obtain new personal ID numbers from the bank which allowed them to withdraw $652,205 from the teller machines.

According to the complaint, some of the stolen money was converted into cashier checks and used to purchase vehicle parts or vehicles with salvage titles; the vehicles were then shipped to Nigeria, and sold at inflated prices.

Some of the defendants allegedly recruited Nigerian residents in Minneapolis to buy vehicles at auto auctions, giving them cash to make the purchases.

According to a U.S. Secret Service affidavit, one of the defendants bragged about how he could not "get caught conducting his illegal activity" because he was "very good at covering his tracks."

Charged with one count of bank fraud and one count of access device fraud are Adekunle Kayode Ayeni, 27, Yewande Mariam Sholebo, unknown age, Adewale Alba Alli, unknown age, Olayemi Lateef Banjoko, unknown age, Idowu Ayinla Sadiq, unknown age, Abiodun Banjoko, unknown age, and Oyetoyin Oseni Atobatele, unknown age, all of Fridley; along with Bashiru Adelumola Fowoshere, 36, and Titilayo Abidewi Fowoshere, unknown age, both of Ramsey; Oriyomi Enitan Olowosago, unknown age, Brooklyn Park; and Ajibola Alli Fowoshere, 34, address unknown.

Eight of the 11 were arrested last Friday, when they also made their initial court appearance. Three remain at large.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-321063.0.html
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:51am On Jan 24, 2012
^^^^^^
How many names are there, caught in one fell swoop?

I have many more (all Yoruba) if you want to read. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nchara: 1:53am On Jan 24, 2012
Nigerian, [b]Ademola Adegoke, [/b]to eight and a half years imprisonment for using stolen credit card numbers to steal more than $400,000 from the US citizens.

The convict, who pleaded guilty, to wire fraud and aggravated theft on July 30, 2010, has, however, agreed to pay restitution in the amount of $696,026.

According to the US Department of Justice, a District Court Judge, Liam O’Grady, also ordered 43-year-old-Adegoke, who is a Ghanaian resident to serve two years of supervised release following his prison term.

According to the Department of Justice, court documents had shown that, “Adegoke is a Nigerian national who was living in Accra. Adegoke used local Internet cafes in Accra to access e-mail accounts and voice over IP services, which made it appear that he was calling from the United States even though he was physically in Ghana.

“He used e-mail and VOIP to purchase stolen credit card information online and then used those numbers to purchase airline tickets from travel agencies in the US and Canada as well as directly from airlines.

“Adegoke sent e-mail or faxed copies of fraudulent passports and drivers licenses as well as images of credit cards with the stolen credit card number transposed over a blank card to the travel agency or airline.

“ If he was able to convince the travel agency or airline to issue a ticket, he would call back, speak to the same agent and purchase additional tickets for customers who would pay him a fraction of the cost of the full fare.

“In all, Adegoke purchased more than 5,000 stolen credit card numbers and was responsible for more than $400,000 in losses as a result of this scheme.”
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-539765.0.html
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by dayokanu(m): 1:57am On Jan 24, 2012
Can you pull one of the Yoruba who is Americas most wanted like Tobechi "Nchara" Onwuhara.

You are even on FBI website
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nobody: 2:23am On Jan 24, 2012
Awon ibo alakuko and their wahala.
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by BlackPikiN(m): 2:37am On Jan 24, 2012
^^^^According to Akintola right?
Re: One Of Largest Credit Card Schemes In Us History---Naija Man Representing! by Nobody: 2:50am On Jan 24, 2012
^^^^
Not really.

Go here; http://apganigeria.com/ and tell me what you see. Akuko!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Thieves Caught Near E-centre In Yaba, Stripped Unclad (pic) / A Man's Penis Disappears After Giving A Bigger Money (pictures) / Graphic Pictures Of People Killed In Offa,kwara State Robbery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.