Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,255 members, 7,811,708 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? (14909 Views)

How To Get Facebook Page And Twitter Verification For Nigerian Businesses. / What Are The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria Or In Africa? / Best Web Hosting Company In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Chief06: 7:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
Most will never, ever, ever trust their mission critical data to a data center run by a 3rd party in Nigeria, that is like trusting your diamond necklace to a person wearing it around her neck in Dugbe market. Too many factors against building a safe, secure and viable datacenter in most parts of Nigeria today.
Sky-walker:

I feel that will be too expensive for Nigerian companies. My advise is if he has the money,he should build a data center.Reduce his price to that of other popular vendors. The downside is also electricity, bandwidth and also security.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Chief06: 7:12pm On Feb 13, 2013
Nigeria has more than 44 million web users, there are 110 million active cell phone lines in Nigeria, Plus offices plus etc. I think number is closer to 60 - 70 million
occam:

I can attest to that. I was very surprised at the lack of awareness and knowledge about the web. Even some people working in the banks or service sector, do not get the business potential.

Though Nigeria has 44 million web users, my guess is majority spend less than an hour each day surfing. Bandwidth and connectivity issues still remain
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 8:11pm On Feb 13, 2013
.NET:

ok. about the competition with Amazon and Google, I don't think that will be a problem for me o. I will offer something different (at least in the early stage) - ERP cloud Hosting. SAP seems to be the most popular in this Country, so I am talking with them on how this can be achieved.

On the issue of Power, we are talking Engineers to design and install good-quality Solar Panels with Inverters.

Please tell me other areas that I might fail. Thank you bros.

.NET

cheesy cheesy

.Net I won't mind working with you myself, i have some ideas that might work, besides we seem to favor thesame language. I also think the person that talked about reselling is right. I favour taking risks a lot, don't get me wrong, but on paper the chances of a cloud service going down well doesn't sound too good. A proper market survey and good marketing can go a long way. Please contact me and lets tlk
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 13, 2013
Uwadiegwu1:

Well, we're yet to see Jobberman to stay long. Charging people to apply for jobs is very fishy and i can't do it no matter what. But charging emploters to post jobs on the site is a fair play and most websites do it here in the western World.

Fallguy - you might want to check Craigslist Africa @ http://www.Craigslist.com.ng
Like i told you that businesses like craigslist in Africa countries would be a good business. I guess nairalist will be crying now? As you know people have different things they need to sell like cars and they need a one community they can do all in one place. This is why i see a potential in businesses like online services. Lets watch http://www.Craigslist.com.ng and see what they are capable of in Africa business market. I wish them best of luck

is that site authorized or owned by craiglist?
are you at risk of a pending lawsuit or dismissal?
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Gooogle(m): 8:37pm On Feb 13, 2013
diluminati:

is that site authorized or owned by craiglist?
are you at risk of a pending lawsuit or dismissal?

God bless you, the same question i asked ooo.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Vitali99: 9:50pm On Feb 13, 2013
Peeps the best classified ads web business is www.99naira.com
It is a start-up and these guys will go places. Heard they are setting up shop in Tanzania soon.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Chief06: 9:57pm On Feb 13, 2013
Negative

There is NO craiglist sub-genre for Nigeria, this craiglist http://www.Craigslist.com.ng is a rip off. Really shameful when you consider the ramifications.

The wayo site is owned by one Ebere Ude

Gooogle:

God bless you, the same question i asked ooo.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by dansmog(m): 10:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
i have read so many ideas, all were just talking about .Net idea (what it takes).. Can we talk about startups that is marketable? I think we should thinking straight, we are talking about web base startups, someone is talking about importing other country ''self produced'' products.... How can we create awareness when they keep importing products (am not saying importation biz is wrong, even i plan to do it to raise a few capital).. So please can we give web startups that can work?
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 11:02pm On Feb 13, 2013
dansmog++:
i have read so many ideas, all were just talking about .Net idea (what it takes).. Can we talk about startups that is marketable? I think we should thinking straight, we are talking about web base startups, someone is talking about importing other country ''self produced'' products.... How can we create awareness when they keep importing products (am not saying importation biz is wrong, even i plan to do it to raise a few capital).. So please can we give web startups that can work?

Judging from the topic, it says and I quote 'web based business to start'. What .Net is talking about is also a web based business and an idea that if it works can be a big improvement. But at thesame time I support your view of things, because we really should be thinking about innovation and not renovation in this country.

What I have also noticed is that people have ideas, but nobody is ready to drop an idea, at d risk of another prsn executing it.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Feb 13, 2013
Chief06: Negative

There is NO craiglist sub-genre for Nigeria, this craiglist http://www.Craigslist.com.ng is a rip off. Really shameful when you consider the ramifications.

The wayo site is owned by one Ebere Ude

Someone's decided to lend credence to the old maxim which situates imitation as the best form of flattery?

I see Ebere Ude is also Craig Ude here cheesy grin cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGh04w0KP0
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Chief06: 11:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
Oh my
eGuerrilla:

Someone's decided to lend credence to the old maxim which situates imitation as the best form of flattery?

I see Ebere Ude is also Craig Ude here cheesy grin cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGh04w0KP0
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Sodams(m): 9:26am On Feb 14, 2013
The best thing to do is to create a service that can benefit Nigerians and run it for free to generate as much traffic then you can charge for ads on the long run...

But we are not talking about ideas here...nobody can still your idea if you're not sleeping on it besides competition is good for business.

By the way, is there a law or a way someone can protect intellectual property in Nigeria?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by slumbee(m): 11:15am On Feb 14, 2013
I think Jumia is doing good with there advert. Someone once said on twitter that " the way jumia is going with its advert, you will open agege bread and find jumia insyd" grin Now the only problem i have with Jumia is, i think there goods & service are quite on d high side. Dealdey is also doing a great job, they jst need to spread out more and register its presence like Jumia!!!

1 Like

Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Uwadiegwu1: 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2013
Chief06 - why are you guys saying that Craigslist.com.ng is a wayo site. Well, i know the dude that owns the website and looking at what he has there he has done a great job. Hopefully, it will be best for him to change the name to avoid lawsuit or dismissal. This is the problem Nigerians have on each other, never to cherish what others have or done , but you want someone to thank you for your effort and ideas. I wish the owner can see what you said about his site and decide what to tell you. I like the site and there is nothing wrong with it.

I am just saying my mind.

Thanks
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
Uwadiegwu1: Chief06 - why are you guys saying that Craigslist.com.ng is a wayo site. Well, i know the dude that owns the website and looking at what he has there he has done a great job. Hopefully, it will be best for him to change the name to avoid lawsuit or dismissal. This is the problem Nigerians have on each other, never to cherish what others have or done , but you want someone to thank you for your effort and ideas. I wish the owner can see what you said about his site and decide what to tell you. I like the site and there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks

There is something called franchising. When the foundation is bad, the building itself cannot stand. What the guy has done is build a weak foundation. When the word gets out that this is not a real craiglist franchise, it would kill whatever trust people are meant to have for the site. Nobody would want to patronize a site that lied right from the onset. That is why it is a wayo site.

As far as ideas go. I have one myself that i have already began. I am currently building a network of freelance programmers/web developers. I have a graphic designer, and 2 programmers already, as well as a web developer. It is not that i have not seen interested candidates, but these are the people that have truly shown ability. The major problem here is that, due to how things are in this country, trust is very hard to earn. The major problem is that, most people don't believe you will pay them their money when the job is done. I don't blame them, why should they. Suggestions please.

Secondly, i want to start a blog very soon that focuses on Nigerian websites. Looking at the idea behind them, the design and every other thing about it. I am taking my time though, i don't want to rush into things about this one.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by dansmog(m): 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2013

Secondly, i want to start a blog very soon that focuses on Nigerian websites. Looking at the idea behind them, the design and every other thing about it. I am taking my time though, i dont want to rush into things about

ok, i get that! Like mashable abi? And maybe you will get into web applications and other entreprenueral ideas and startups.
You will be featuring all these kind of people abi? I once had this idea too, but i dont want to have to much ideas(and dont work on any one. Want to do and finish one). It is nice just check out www.mashable.com, www.techcrunch.com, www.thenextweb.com, and see if it is the same thing you have in mind, and maybe you can get ideas towards the design and UI interactivity.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 10:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
actually i want to begin this using a blog. Thanx for the suggestions but what i have in mind is more like tech crunch and not like the other two. I want to only review sites for starters, Nigerian sites
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by lordZOUGA(m): 10:36pm On Feb 14, 2013
it is a world wide web. location is irrelevant.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Uwadiegwu1: 2:18am On Feb 15, 2013
hoodboi:

There is something called franchising. When the foundation is bad, the building itself cannot stand. What the guy has done is build a weak foundation. When the word gets out that this is not a real craiglist franchise, it would kill whatever trust people are meant to have for the site. Nobody would want to patronize a site that lied right from the onset. That is why it is a wayo site.

As far as ideas go. I have one myself that i have already began. I am currently building a network of freelance programmers/web developers. I have a graphic designer, and 2 programmers already, as well as a web developer. It is not that i have not seen interested candidates, but these are the people that have truly shown ability. The major problem here is that, due to how things are in this country, trust is very hard to earn. The major problem is that, most people don't believe you will pay them their money when the job is done. I don't blame them, why should they. Suggestions please.

Secondly, i want to start a blog very soon that focuses on Nigerian websites. Looking at the idea behind them, the design and every other thing about it. I am taking my time though, i don't want to rush into things about this one.

Hoodboi - To my understanding, i don't think Craigslist.com.ng is saying that the website is owned or operated by Craigslist.org. I believe the owner is trying to create something like it for Africans. Looking at the video posted here, it indicates Craigslist Type" finally in Africa. This is what I believe and i have contacted the owner to advise on name change before the main Craigslist come after them. Mind you anyone can answer Craig and call his business any name especially if it is a foreign country. Though, it is a trademark infringement especially if the websites are in the same country. Think of Groupon that was cloned in India and China with the same name, design etc. You have Jumia.com and now and much more. Coming to your idea, it is nice and be careful of people stealing your idea before yours come out. I know and understand that it is common in our country Nigeria. To me, whatever idea you have, just bring it out to reality. Do you know that i had the idea of a website called Fiverr.com and before i could make that move it was already out. Now the website has raised over 20 million dollars(Techcrunch). Smart niche and idea now with extras that enables them make extra money too and the users as well. You have millions of sites like that now. Think of Pinterest too, you have so many of them cloned with even the same name around the globe. All i am saying is that the owner of Craigslist.com.ng is not wayo, he is out for business just like Nairaland and others. Maybe he is trying to drive cloud/traffic to the site by using Craigslist.com.ng?

Thanks
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:31am On Feb 15, 2013
how about version control for designers?
like an online repository for psd, ai, obj and other design formats.. or are people here only interested in online businesses?
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 8:50am On Feb 15, 2013
lordZOUGA: how about version control for designers?
like an online repository for psd, ai, obj and other design formats.. or are people here only interested in online businesses?

Tell me more about this lordZouga, I have been lookn for an online service or app I can create. Don't have a lot of ideas. I am currently working on something, a world class one. I haven't started looking for funding yet. But I am imagining It could be tough, trusting a young person like me with a lot of money, but it is not putting me off. As soon as I get the green light I am waiting for, I will begin. Please if you guys have any ideas on who I can go to, to source for funds let me know. I can't talk about it yet on open media, but I can just say it is about IT
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:17am On Feb 15, 2013
hoodboi:

Tell me more about this lordZouga, I have been lookn for an online service or app I can create. Don't have a lot of ideas. I am currently working on something, a world class one. I haven't started looking for funding yet. But I am imagining It could be tough, trusting a young person like me with a lot of money, but it is not putting me off. As soon as I get the green light I am waiting for, I will begin. Please if you guys have any ideas on who I can go to, to source for funds let me know. I can't talk about it yet on open media, but I can just say it is about IT
you have to create a working prototype before you start looking for funding.
as for the version control, it is going to be kinda tough, data will be transferred in binary formats.
the online repo should be able to render states or versions in their right formats when called upon. its going to be like having an online photoshop rendering engine ;-)
challenging.. but can be done.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 9:32am On Feb 15, 2013
Lordzouga

D idea is not a new one, it is an already existing one. But one thing is this. I'm wondering if there are enough web developers and software developers in this country who would be willing to pay for a conference that adds value and would show them a lot of other things.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:58am On Feb 15, 2013
hoodboi: Lordzouga

D idea is not a new one, it is an already existing one. But one thing is this. I'm wondering if there are enough web developers and software developers in this country who would be willing to pay for a conference that adds value and would show them a lot of other things.
depends on who is hosting the conference and how successful a previously hosted version is.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by dansmog(m): 10:42am On Feb 16, 2013
will anybody like to join a project? Just for the fact that you want to be part of something or maybe create something... This project is like quora and sprouter but more of sprouter. And somehow it will be converted to a startup..
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by hoodboi(m): 5:39pm On Feb 16, 2013
dansmog++:
will anybody like to join a project? Just for the fact that you want to be part of something or maybe create something... This project is like quora and sprouter but more of sprouter. And somehow it will be converted to a startup..

Sure y not.. I am a pro freelancer both web dev nd software dev.. Been doing it for years now. If you are on bbm holla at me on 3122b113 on watsapp 08130309625 or send me an email youngenterpreneur11@gmail.com
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Chief06: 3:27pm On Feb 18, 2013
You cannot take someone else's trademark and use it as your own name, that is illegal, and is not acceptable under ANY circumstances whatsoever. He can call his site anything else and make it look like Craiglist, that's fine. Using their name and trademark is not.

Uwadiegwu1: Chief06 - why are you guys saying that Craigslist.com.ng is a wayo site. Well, i know the dude that owns the website and looking at what he has there he has done a great job. Hopefully, it will be best for him to change the name to avoid lawsuit or dismissal. This is the problem Nigerians have on each other, never to cherish what others have or done , but you want someone to thank you for your effort and ideas. I wish the owner can see what you said about his site and decide what to tell you. I like the site and there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Chief06: 3:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
You cannot deceive people by using another company's trademark. Not legal or ethical.

Uwadiegwu1:

Hoodboi - To my understanding, i don't think Craigslist.com.ng is saying that the website is owned or operated by Craigslist.org. I believe the owner is trying to create something like it for Africans. Looking at the video posted here, it indicates Craigslist Type" finally in Africa. This is what I believe and i have contacted the owner to advise on name change before the main Craigslist come after them. Mind you anyone can answer Craig and call his business any name especially if it is a foreign country. Though, it is a trademark infringement especially if the websites are in the same country. Think of Groupon that was cloned in India and China with the same name, design etc. You have Jumia.com and now and much more. Coming to your idea, it is nice and be careful of people stealing your idea before yours come out. I know and understand that it is common in our country Nigeria. To me, whatever idea you have, just bring it out to reality. Do you know that i had the idea of a website called Fiverr.com and before i could make that move it was already out. Now the website has raised over 20 million dollars(Techcrunch). Smart niche and idea now with extras that enables them make extra money too and the users as well. You have millions of sites like that now. Think of Pinterest too, you have so many of them cloned with even the same name around the globe. All i am saying is that the owner of Craigslist.com.ng is not wayo, he is out for business just like Nairaland and others. Maybe he is trying to drive cloud/traffic to the site by using Craigslist.com.ng?

Thanks
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by dansmog(m): 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
hoodboi:

Sure y not.. I am a pro freelancer both web dev nd software dev.. Been doing it for years now. If you are on bbm holla at me on 3122b113 on watsapp 08130309625 or send me an email youngenterpreneur11@gmail.com

i have sent you a mail.
thank you for joining..
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by howardriddle: 11:14pm On Aug 04, 2013
A Trademark can only be applicable in its country of origin i.e country it is registered. I can start a company now and name it Google if google is not a registered TM in Nigeria (they probably are).

Ps: I am a lawyer (student) So i should know.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:40am On Nov 27, 2013
NOW THIS WAS A GREAT THREAD!!!...HAS TO BE RESUSCITATED...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Ways To Make Money As A Digital Marketer In Nigeria / Are You Making Enough Money From Adsense? Try This Instead. / 6 Unwritten Rules Of The Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.