Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance (3570 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / Flood Takes Over Major Roads In Uyo Despite Multimillion Dollar Drainage (pics) / Photos Of Gov. Ayo Fayose Clearing Dirt In A Drainage During Sanitation Exercise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by thenewsman: 10:35am On Jan 24, 2012
The Lagos State government has commenced the clearance and maintenance of drainage channels in the state, to prevent the flooding that usually plagues the city during the raining season.

According to the state government, they have engaged drainage engineers and officers to liaise with Community Development Association (CDAs) in various local governments.
The government has also awarded several dredging projects in the networks of canals and drainages channels in places strategic and prone to flooding generation.

The Commissioner for Environment, Tunji Bello, speaking during the assessment of the ongoing dredging and clearing of canals project in some parts of the state at the weekend, said the state is unwavering in its efforts to rid the state of hazards resulting from drainage channels blockage.

Read More >> http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/lagos-commences-drainage-maintenance
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by montelik(m): 10:54am On Jan 24, 2012
Lessons being learned, nice to see early action before d rains come again.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Zi: 3:11pm On Jan 24, 2012
Nice one.
"Commences" is difference from "will commence".

Fashola '15!!!
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On Jan 24, 2012
Finally, Government gets its act together, and actually starts doing the clean up work it ought to be doing. This is better than going around, telling tax payers it is their duty to clean up the drainage. Let's hope a good job is done to at least contain the flooding issue that contributes about 70% of the traffic issues witnessed during the rainy season each year in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 24, 2012
And the citizens too should do their part by not disposing refuse into drainages and gutters.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Fhemmmy: 4:22pm On Jan 24, 2012
Smart move
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 24, 2012
Let's pray people wont fill them with sachet water nylon and other waste before the rain comes.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by eghost247(m): 4:52pm On Jan 24, 2012
Eko Oni Baje O Fashola is one of the best things to happen to Lagos in a longtime
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by kizito96(m): 5:00pm On Jan 24, 2012
Good move
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 24, 2012
This man should be president not that spineless faceless GEJ guy that came from no where with zero experience.

Action over bloody lengthy speeches that nigerians and the world over have grown quite tired of.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Rossikk(m): 8:00pm On Jan 24, 2012
What the hell does ''drainage maintenance'' mean in a city filled with open sewers and open gutters?

These so called leaders are complete idio.ts. In 2012 we're still walking around looking at and 'clearing out' open gutters when in even a half-civilized place, there is no such thing as open gutters.

Why can't Fashola and his ilk do what cities like London and co did hundreds of years ago? Establish COVERED drainage on ALL streets as a matter of policy. Build pedestrian SIDEWALKS along all roads, with the adjoining drains COVERED:

In this UK pic, the gutter runs alongside the pavement, but is covered, apart from those metal grids inserted every 20 yards or so along the road, and which are opened and cleaned out once a year by the authorities.

When you DO THIS, then you do not need to get people to dig up and 'clean the gutters' every week on 'clean up days' and what not. The environment is kept clean and spotless, and pedestrian/driver friendly, with no stress.

I mean, what is wrong with these ignorant bozos who call themselves our leaders??
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 24, 2012
^^ It's what happens when you make rulers out of fresh, uncultured villagers.
As far as they understand, as long as more than 50% of the people are not living in grass huts and monkeys and wild animals are not pillaging people in their homes, all is well.

But Fashola is the only one of them I cant hate on as all that foolishness existed far before he came into office.
He is obviously the most progressive of the foul, stagnant lot of them.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Jan 24, 2012
open sewers and gutters still serve for drainage . . . i mean you cannot even compare this to what Rome had back over a 1000 years ago, but they still serve the purpose, to some archaic extent, and need to be cleaned out to prevent flooding. grin

Honestly, when I watch the documentaries on roman sewage/drainage system, on the documentary channel and the history,I cannot help but wonder why even more than 1500 years later, we are still doing this to ourselves.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 24, 2012
So Nigeria, an oil producing country, same independence period as South Korea, has to be compared with Rome's sewage system of 1000 years ago as a source of relevance today. . .

That's it. As from today onwards, I am officially ghanian. I disown Nigeria as a country. It is a joke.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2012
^^ I am not comparing, simply wondering why we are so . . . . I can't even use the word backward . . . . lol
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2012
^^ Yes. . . that would be an insult to the word "backward". They haven't yet defined the word to describe Nigeria your country in the dictionary.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 25, 2012
It would be a good idea to start enforcing laws against littering. Heavy fines needs to be imposed on those found guilty of littering.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by rabzy: 7:13am On Jan 25, 2012
Rossikk:

What the hell does ''drainage maintenance'' mean in a city filled with open sewers and open gutters?

These so called leaders are complete idio.ts. In 2012 we're still walking around looking at and 'clearing out' open gutters when in even a half-civilized place, there is no such thing as open gutters.

Why can't Fashola and his ilk do what cities like London and co did hundreds of years ago? Establish COVERED drainage on ALL streets as a matter of policy. Build pedestrian SIDEWALKS along all roads, with the adjoining drains COVERED:

In this UK pic, the gutter runs alongside the pavement, but is covered, apart from those metal grids inserted every 20 yards or so along the road, and which are opened and cleaned out once a year by the authorities.

When you DO THIS, then you do not need to get people to dig up and 'clean the gutters' every week on 'clean up days' and what not. The environment is kept clean and spotless, and pedestrian/driver friendly, with no stress.

I mean, what is wrong with these ignorant bozos who call themselves our leaders??

I dont mind if they do it the way you suggested, i know there are couple of streets fashola tarred in Alimosho local govt and they were all covered up nicely with walk-ways, e.g Olugbede street and some others i pass thru but dont know their names, i think also Ekoro road in Abule-egba was done that way, the long stretch of Lasu-iyana iba road was also covered up.

But my problem is you need to know the rate at which people are filling them up with trash, the government would have to clean them up at least 4 times a year. The environment can't be clean and spotless when everybody throws trash out of cars and dump dirt in street corners.
I have taught all my siblings not to ever throw things out of cars or buses and to discourage others from doing it, the only problem is people easily get annoyed when i try dissuading them.

Lagos state as a matter of policy has to take this drive to schools, let them compose songs about it and let children sing them, and also instruct the kids to take the message home to their parents and friends. We need more than TV adverts and radio announcements to change people's attitude.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Rossikk(m): 8:30am On Jan 26, 2012
rabzy said

I dont mind if they do it the way you suggested, i know there are couple of streets fashola tarred in Alimosho local govt and they were all covered up nicely with walk-ways, e.g Olugbede street and some others i pass thru but dont know their names, i think also Ekoro road in Abule-egba was done that way, the long stretch of Lasu-iyana iba road was also covered up.

But my problem is you need to know the rate at which people are filling them up with trash, the government would have to clean them up at least 4 times a year. The environment can't be clean and spotless when everybody throws trash out of cars and dump dirt in street corners.

My brotha, this is simply not true with the system I posted. Those drains are covered. That metal grid thing there cannot take in large amounts of trash, except maybe a few leaves or small stones. Even in London, some people throw their trash on the streets, but the drains are covered, so all that's done is the authorities get street sweepers to clear up the streets during the early hours of the morning.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by rabzy: 11:23am On Jan 26, 2012
Rossikk:

rabzy said

My brotha, this is simply not true with the system I posted. Those drains are covered. That metal grid thing there cannot take in large amounts of trash, except maybe a few leaves or small stones. Even in London, some people throw their trash on the streets, but the drains are covered, so all that's done is the authorities get street sweepers to clear up the streets during the early hours of the morning.

okay maybe i exaggerated the number of times, but those dirts come from other places too not just from the streets. i agree that this is the way to go and i mentioned some streets tarred by fashola that has covered drainages. My point is that, there should be more awareness and re-orientation by the government in conjunction with constructing covered drains.

I have even seen some of these street sweepers, (i accosted one at Ajose adeogun in V.I) sweeping the sands from the streets into those iron openings. What they normally do is that they sweep the sands off the paved road and pack them into bags to be disposed off later, but this guy did not want to bother with the bags, he was just sweeping them into the openings.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2012
rabzy:

okay maybe i exaggerated the number of times, but those dirts come from other places too not just from the streets. i agree that this is the way to go and i mentioned some streets tarred by fashola that has covered drainages. My point is that, there should be more awareness and re-orientation by the government in conjunction with constructing covered drains.

I have even seen some of these street sweepers, (i accosted one at Ajose adeogun in V.I) sweeping the sands from the streets into those iron openings. What they normally do is that they sweep the sands off the paved road and pack them into bags to be disposed off later, but this guy did not want to bother with the bags, he was just sweeping them into the openings.

Regular cleaning takes care of all that. I am not certain if you were around back in the 80's when Nigeria made sense. The state had a cleaning/maintenance team that went around cleaning streets and gutters at least once a month. That went a long way in abating problems of flooding even with the limited capacity of drainage systems in the state back then.
Re: Lagos Commences Drainage Maintenance by rabzy: 7:15am On Jan 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Regular cleaning takes care of all that. I am not certain if you were around back in the 80's when Nigeria made sense. The state had a cleaning/maintenance team that went around cleaning streets and gutters at least once a month. That went a long way in abating problems of flooding even with the limited capacity of drainage systems in the state back then.

I was around back in the 80's at least from the mid to late 80's, though i don't know where you grew up, but in my neighborhood, the rickety truck disposal comes once a month, stays on the major road and honks and we all run after it to dump our stuff, half of it littering everywhere. Then in the 90's everything ceased, not a single truck disposing waste.

Then Tinubu brought the private scheme and Fashola really expanded on that, now the trucks are very many, a considerable number are new and they enter inner streets albeit comes like once every week into the streets. The scheme is working well in most areas. But they need to do something about the markets and those who dump waste on the roads early in the morning for the trucks to pick up later. i hate it when am driving to work at 5am and refuse bags are everywhere but by 9 they are gone.

(1) (Reply)

The Truth Finally Comes Out: Why The 4 Uniport Students Were Killed / Rivers Mono Rail Phase 1 Nearing Completion (pics) / Atiku Son Lambast Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.